PDA

View Full Version : Left handed handcuffed man shot in right temple in back of police car...

JoshLowry
08-01-2012, 11:46 AM
http://wreg.com/2012/07/30/handcuffed-man-shot-in-back-of-police-car/

sailingaway
08-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Lucky he's left handed or it likely wouldn't have even made the press.

pcosmar
08-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Contortionist?

(referring to the police spokesman)

phill4paul
08-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I'd like to know the Caliber of the gun that the officers 'missed' in their search.

jbauer
08-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Cool, I where can I get a third arm from. I figure I could multi-task better with extra arms.

John F Kennedy III
08-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Police Claim Handcuffed Man Shot Himself In the Head

“I think they killed him, my son wasn’t suicidal.”

Paul Joseph Watson
Infowars.com
Friday, August 3, 2012

Jonesboro Police claim a man who was searched, handcuffed, double-locked and bundled in the back of a patrol car shot himself in the head, an explanation the man’s mother dismisses as a cover-up for murder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rmh8u2AZoJU

After officers claimed Chavis Carter was in possession of drugs, they searched him before handcuffing him and putting him in the back of a patrol car. The handcuffs were double-locked, making it harder for the lock to be picked.

Police then claim they heard a “thumping noise” before turning around to see Carter slumped on the back seat shot in the head.

“They’re still investigating but they think Chavis, somehow managed to pull out a hidden gun and shot himself in the head,” reports WREG Memphis, despite the fact that officers found no weapon on him during the search.

“I think they killed him, my son wasn’t suicidal,” said the man’s mother Teresa Carter.

She adds that Chavis was shot in the right temple and yet he is left-handed.

Carter also points out that Chavis called his girlfriend while pulled over and assured her that he would be in contact again when he got to jail.

The officer involved in the incident has been placed on leave pending an investigation.

Sergeant Lyle Waterworth attempted to deflect accusations of murder by claiming that officers could have easily missed the gun during the search.

“Any given officer has missed something on a search, be it drugs, knife, razor blades, this instance it happened to be a gun” said Waterworth.

However, that doesn’t explain why a man who was not suicidal was somehow able to put a gun to the side of his head and pull the trigger while handcuffed.

As police brutality in America escalates to new heights of violence and abuse, more and more unprovoked deaths are occurring, but punishments for officers who shoot victims dead are often miniscule.

In January 2009, 22-year-old Oscar Grant was shot in the back by policeman Johannes Mehserle as he lay on a platform at a railway station in Oakland California. Mehserle was charged with involuntary manslaughter after he claimed he had meant to use his Taser and not a gun and ended up serving just two years in jail for killing Grant.

original article here:
http://www.infowars.com/police-claim-handcuffed-man-shot-himself-in-the-head/

TheTexan
08-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Reminds me of the hugging 'accident'

Anti Federalist
08-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Not sure what to make of this right off the bat.

I have my suspicions of course.

Police release more information in Chavis Carter death

http://www.kait8.com/story/19149968/police-release-more-information-in-chavis-carter-death

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) – Jonesboro Police have released more information in the death of Chavis Chacobie Carter who died in police custody.

Carter, 21, of Southaven, Mississippi, died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head while handcuffed in a patrol car, according to police records. The officers who had Carter detained are currently on administrative leave.

The newest information released has revealed that a small .380 caliber cobra semi-auto firearm was discovered along with an expended case and a projectile, which was recovered in the back of the vehicle. Investigators said the firearm found in the patrol car had previously been reported stolen by a Jonesboro resident .

[PDF: JPD press release on Chavis Carter death]

These pieces of evidence were packaged and sent to the Arkansas State Crime Lab along with Carter's body after he died at nearby hospital a short time after the shooting.

A number of witnesses were interviewed, and police said their statements were consistent with the officers' accounts of what happened and with the dash cam video from both cruisers. Officers said the statements and the audio/video evidence from the dash cams account for the policemen's actions from the beginning of the stop until the arrival of the ambulance.

"We feel confident that at this stage in the investigation that the evidence supports the fact that the officers themselves did not injure Mr. Carter," said Michael Yates, the Jonesboro police chief.

"However, it is an unusual event," Yates added. "It's still under investigation, causes a great concern naturally."

The report also said the evidence indicates that neither officer removed his weapon, fired a shot or was in a position to enter the vehicle where Carter was detained in a manner that would allow for them to injure Carter.

Police are continuing the search for witnesses and anticipation further investigation.

Furthermore, the police department told Region 8 News that the windows in the patrol unit where Carter was detained were up and intact, indicating no possibility of a bullet penetrating from the outside of the patrol unit.

How Carter managed to shoot himself remains a mystery, but JPD has been in contact with the FBI who have agreed to monitor the case, and Jonesboro Police are sharing all investigative material with them. Autopsy and crime lab results are anticipated for further review.

Police are trying to reconstruct the incident to further guide the investigation.

The Jonesboro Police Department has also inspected Carter's cell phone. The inspection, police said, revealed that Carter may have been in possession of the gun while engaged in some sort of drug related activity prior to his encounter with the police.

[PDF: Original Police report of Chavis Carter death]

According to the original police report, Carter was a passenger in a pickup truck that was stopped just before 10 o'clock Saturday night on Haltom Street.

Officer Keith Baggett said while he searched the vehicle, Officer Ron Marsh questioned and searched Carter. He reportedly found "some marijuana" and several new plastic baggies on Carter.

According to the report, Officer Marsh ran Carter's information through dispatch and learned that he was wanted on a warrant out of DeSoto County, Mississippi.

After confirming the warrant, Baggett said Marsh had Carter "exit the patrol unit, placed him into handcuffs, searched him a second time then placed him into the back seat of the patrol unit."

[Read: Community members ask for calm in wake of suicide in patrol car]

While he and Officer Marsh walked back to his patrol unit, Officer Baggett said a car passed and then he heard "a loud thump with a metallic sound." At the time he believed the vehicle had run over a piece of metal on the road.

After questioning and releasing the other two men, Officer Marsh reportedly returned to his unit while Officer Baggett said he prepared to leave the scene. He then heard "several thumps" on his trunk and saw Officer Marsh motioning for him.

Officer Marsh reportedly said Carter had shot himself.

The two officers opened the rear passenger side door and found Carter in a "sitting position slumped forward with his head in his lap." Officer Marsh said there was a large amount of blood on Carter's shirt, pants, seat and floor. He also said Carter's hands were still cuffed behind his back. A small caliber handgun was reportedly found beside him.

Seeing that Carter was still breathing, Officer Marsh radioed for an ambulance and a supervisor. Carter was taken to St. Bernards Regional Medical Center where he later died of his injury.

[Watch: RAW: Full community press conference on patrol car suicide]

Officers Baggett and Marsh are on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

Neighbors living near the area where Carter was stopped are left with many questions unanswered regarding this strange incident.

Several residents spoke off-camera to Region 8 News about what they saw or heard that night.

One woman said she saw the white truck that Carter was riding in parked near home. She says the truck had turned off its lights, but she thought nothing was strange until several police cars arrived.

She and other neighbors say they did not hear the gunshot go off that killed Carter. They say they would eventually like to hear a full, thorough explanation about what happened from police.

Members of the community and pastors representing many of the African-American churches in Jonesboro is organizing a vigil Monday night. It'll be at 7:30 p.m. on First Baptist Church parking lot located on Kitchen Street.

The NAACP released a statement late Friday afternoon that you can read by clicking here.

Region 8 News will continue to track this story and bring you any new details as soon as they become available.

Copyright 2012 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Anti Federalist
08-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Hat Tip to L/E for the video link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBJsBw6yWg&sns=em

LibertyEagle
08-03-2012, 07:42 PM
How does someone shoot themselves in their temple when their hands are handcuffed behind their back????

Anti Federalist
08-03-2012, 07:44 PM
merged

Thanks, again.

TonySutton
08-03-2012, 07:55 PM
One possible explanation would be if he was trying to stash the gun. If the officers did miss the gun in the search and the young man was able to get it out and was trying to stash it. That is the only way I can see an accidental discharge. More details may shed more light

sparebulb
08-03-2012, 08:56 PM
One possible explanation would be if he was trying to stash the gun. If the officers did miss the gun in the search and the young man was able to get it out and was trying to stash it. That is the only way I can see an accidental discharge. More details may shed more light

Just where was he trying to hide it? In his 'fro?

pcosmar
08-03-2012, 09:03 PM
How does someone shoot themselves in their temple when their hands are handcuffed behind their back????

Simple answer.
They Don't.

youngbuck
08-03-2012, 09:24 PM
The newest information released has revealed that a small .380 caliber cobra semi-auto firearm was discovered along with an expended case and a projectile, which was recovered in the back of the vehicle. Investigators said the firearm found in the patrol car had previously been reported stolen by a Jonesboro resident .Perfect candidate for a drop gun...

He also said Carter's hands were still cuffed behind his back. A small caliber handgun was reportedly found beside him.
A convenient position in which to kill one's self...

ghengis86
08-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Perfect candidate for a drop gun...

A convenient position in which to kill one's self...

.380 is a common back up gun.

KCIndy
08-03-2012, 10:29 PM
.380 is a common back up gun.

AKA "drop gun" that can't be traced to the cop - er... person using it as a back up. :(

ghengis86
08-04-2012, 07:33 AM
AKA "drop gun" that can't be traced to the cop - er... person using it as a back up. :(

Yep. I've known a few cops and the KelTech/Ruger pocket .380's are their favorite back up guns. They fit in your shirt pocket or strap to an ankle. They're also pretty cheap and easy to find. Especially in an evidence room

I wonder what was the other crime where this gun was used and if there was any connection to the cops involved or the man who was suicided?

donnay
08-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Unbelievable.