PDA

View Full Version : UC Davis pepper spraying cop no longer on the force

Liberty_Mike
07-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Looks like the UC Davis police officer who hosed down Occupy Protesters on campus with pepper spray is no longer on the force. Looks like the details haven't been released, but it very well could be that he was fired. The guy was making over 100k a year too, which is just disgusting.

"Lt. John Pike, the UC Davis police officer who became a focal point of last November's pepper spraying incident during a campus protest, is no longer employed by the university, a spokesman confirmed late Tuesday.

UC Davis spokesman Barry Shiller said he could not discuss the details of Pike's departure, but in response to queries from The Bee, he said Pike was no longer employed there as of Tuesday.

"Consistent with privacy guidelines established in state law and university policy, I can confirm that John Pike's employment with the university ended on July 31, 2012," Shiller said. "I'm unable to comment further.""

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/31/4679466/uc-davis-confirms-officer-at-center.html#storylink=cpy

KCIndy
07-31-2012, 10:36 PM
Probably got hired by the Department of Homeland Security for twice his old salary. :(

Revolution9
08-01-2012, 05:33 AM
"Pike's future had remained in limbo until now, and at one point he faced harrassment that included a barrage of 10,000 text messages, 17,000 emails and numerous items being ordered delivered to his home."

Heh..Gotta love public backlash for it's annoying creativity. I wonder if he got any 800 pound octopuses delivered..

Rev9

MJU1983
08-01-2012, 06:12 AM
"Pike's future had remained in limbo until now, and at one point he faced harrassment that included a barrage of 10,000 text messages, 17,000 emails and numerous items being ordered delivered to his home."

Heh..Gotta love public backlash for it's annoying creativity. I wonder if he got any 800 pound octopuses delivered..

Rev9

"Pike did keep the 10 dozen Krispy Kreme's that were delivered to his home"

/fake news quote

:p

KingNothing
08-01-2012, 06:14 AM
If you watch the entire video, it wasn't nearly as bad as the initially released clip made it look.

I generally dislike cops and I'm sure this one is mostly likely a jerk, but he probably was unfairly judged in that particular instance.

MJU1983
08-01-2012, 06:15 AM
If you watch the entire video, it wasn't nearly as bad as the initially released clip made it look.

I generally dislike cops and I'm sure this one is mostly likely a jerk, but he probably was unfairly judged in that particular instance.

Unless the video shows him NOT macing everyone, I'd say he was judged pretty fairly.

thoughtomator
08-01-2012, 06:41 AM

Um, no. People who, deliberately and with malice, unleash chemical weapons on peaceful innocents deserve to be hanged.

This story isn't over until criminal charges are filed and adjudicated.

KingNothing
08-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Um, no. People who, deliberately and with malice, unleash chemical weapons on peaceful innocents deserve to be hanged.

This story isn't over until criminal charges are filed and adjudicated.

They were in the way, repeatedly asked to leave, warned what would happen if they did not, then asked to leave again. They chose not to leave. Its not like he just walked up to them and sprayed them out of nowhere.

Its all in the game, yo. He played the role of cop. They played the role of protesters. My guess is that a great majority of cops and protesters would have acted as each group did in that situation.

seraphson
08-01-2012, 08:36 AM
100k salary? I wonder if the union thugs, Sallie Mae, and the Federal Reserve are all in on one big circle jerk of exploiting the education system to enrich themselves. Probably explains why the long last days of pay-as-you-go college are no more. Well...that and the fact that government thinks, as spoken by the effects of their programs, that college education is a right. And housing. Ha, remember that silly ol' housing bubble? Wonder how this college debt bubble is going to pop...

PaulConventionWV
08-01-2012, 08:42 AM

How could it not be that bad? We saw what happened. That, in and of itself, is bad enough. No further context is needed. What did he do, give them candy bars for good behavior? I mean, seriously, how can methodically pepper spraying a bunch of college students not be as bad as it looks?

PaulConventionWV
08-01-2012, 08:43 AM
They were in the way, repeatedly asked to leave, warned what would happen if they did not, then asked to leave again. They chose not to leave. Its not like he just walked up to them and sprayed them out of nowhere.

Its all in the game, yo. He played the role of cop. They played the role of protesters. My guess is that a great majority of cops and protesters would have acted as each group did in that situation.

Nobody's mad because he did it "out of the blue" or "just walked up". That part doesn't matter. People are mad about it because he DID IT, period.

I also don't care how anyone else would have done it. It was wrong no matter who did it. He played the role of a cop, and if ANY other cop would do it the SAME WAY, that means all cops would do the wrong thing, not that we should just think it's okay because any cop would do it.