PDA

View Full Version : Mayor Bloomberg pushing NYC hospitals to hide baby formula

RonPaulFanInGA
07-30-2012, 12:46 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/mayor_knows_breast_WqU1iYRQvwbEkDuvn0vb1H

The nanny state is going after moms.

Mayor Bloomberg is pushing hospitals to hide their baby formula behind locked doors so more new mothers will breast-feed.

Starting Sept. 3, the city will keep tabs on the number of bottles that participating hospitals stock and use — the most restrictive pro-breast-milk program in the nation.

Under the city Health Department’s voluntary Latch On NYC initiative, 27 of the city’s 40 hospitals have also agreed to give up swag bags sporting formula-company logos, toss out formula-branded tchotchkes like lanyards and mugs, and document a medical reason for every bottle that a newborn receives.

While breast-feeding activists applaud the move, bottle-feeding moms are bristling at the latest lactation lecture.

Under Latch On NYC, new mothers who want formula won’t be denied it, but hospitals will keep infant formula in out-of-the-way secure storerooms or in locked boxes like those used to dispense and track medications.

With each bottle a mother requests and receives, she’ll also get a talking-to. Staffers will explain why she should offer the breast instead.

TheTexan
07-30-2012, 12:54 AM
It's a "voluntary" initiative.

Hospitals that want to participate will be eligible for federal funding.

Anti Federalist
07-30-2012, 02:05 AM
It's a "voluntary" initiative.

Yeah, no kidding.

I'm all for breast feeding.

Not like this, not like this at all.

Nothing's off limits anymore.

LibertyEagle
07-30-2012, 05:37 AM
Damn, Bloomberg is a frickin' busybody.

ShaneEnochs
07-30-2012, 06:33 AM
It's pretty bad when the mayor of a city makes more news than all of the US Congress.

Bruno
07-30-2012, 06:40 AM
If you live in NYC it must really feel like you living in Bloomberg's house where you have to abide by his house rules. He just keeps making more and more weird rules up.

"In our house we only have small glasses so you don't drink too much soda. No guns allowed. We also hide the salt shakers and baby formula because we know what is best for you."

(And I agree breast milk is the best, but not this way, as said above).

specsaregood
07-30-2012, 06:44 AM
(And I agree breast milk is the best, but not this way, as said above).

I'd say "best" is subjective and greatly depends on what you value the most.

kathy88
07-30-2012, 07:20 AM
There's going to be some backlash on this one. The feminazis will all be picketing with Bloomberg keep your hands off my mammary glands, etc...

Bruno
07-30-2012, 07:37 AM
I'd say "best" is subjective and greatly depends on what you value the most.

Certainly subjective, but I think the general consensus by health care professionals is that mother's breast milk provides the greatest overall nutrition and antibodies to the baby, which cannot be duplicated by formula.

specsaregood
07-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Certainly subjective, but I think the general consensus by health care professionals is that mother's breast milk provides the greatest overall nutrition and antibodies to the baby, which cannot be duplicated by formula.

Which is just one factor of many.

Bruno
07-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Which is just one factor of many.

Yeah, of course. What's your point? I think we can agree that government shouldn't have been pushing forumula over breast milk for decades, and that they shouldn't be doing the opposite now.

DEGuy
07-30-2012, 08:05 AM
This guy is truly a ground breaker when it comes to infringing on personal liberties. It's every other week he has a new regulation...

matt0611
07-30-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm surprised the nanny state is doing this. Instinctively you'd think they would be pushing formula on moms.

specsaregood
07-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Yeah, of course. What's your point? I think we can agree that government shouldn't have been pushing forumula over breast milk for decades, and that they shouldn't be doing the opposite now.

We agree. I was just pointing out that you made the generalization that "breast milk is the best" which is not always the case; but its the same line of thinking that gives support to these little dictators. Heck if its "the best" then we shouldn't allow anything else, its for the kids.

angelatc
07-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Yeah, no kidding.

I'm all for breast feeding.

Not like this, not like this at all.

Nothing's off limits anymore.

This is totally freaky. I can't imagine anything any more intimate.

angelatc
07-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Damn, Bloomberg is a frickin' busybody.

He's a control freak. Dear God, please don't let this man near the White House.

Origanalist
07-30-2012, 08:36 AM
There's going to be some backlash on this one. The feminazis will all be picketing with Bloomberg keep your hands off my mammary glands, etc...

You would think so. but the feminazis are pretty good at turning a blind eye to the excesses of progressives.

Origanalist
07-30-2012, 08:37 AM

His "brutha from another mutha" is already there.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-30-2012, 06:30 PM
It's funny because Bloomberg is a big advocate of a "woman's right to choose" when it comes to abortion, but apparently doesn't think women should get much of a choice on the 'formula or breast milk' question.

daviddee
07-30-2012, 09:38 PM

daviddee
07-30-2012, 09:40 PM

presence
07-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Devil's advocate:

Refusing to breastfeed without medical reason is tantamount to neglect.
Bottle feeding is a medical procedure required only when breast feeding has failed.

presence

Anti Federalist
07-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Exactly... This is actually a win for babies and a negative to big-Pharma and the nanny state.

This is one of Bloomberg's "grabs" that I will not protest.

Big-Pharma has been pushing this crap since the 70s making mother's believe that their milk was inferior to formula.

Not eating bacon cheeseburgers or smoking or drinking large sodas are probably all good for you as well.

But I'm not in favor of his bans of these things either.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Not eating bacon cheeseburgers or smoking or drinking large sodas are probably all good for you as well.

But I'm not in favor of his bans of these things either.

Yeah, daviddee's post seems to be in favor of government intervention for health purposes.

Wonder how many crack moms will unknowingly be forced to breast feed now.

specsaregood
07-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Wonder how many crack moms will unknowingly be forced to breast feed now.

I don't think it even has to be "crack moms" but many eat a nutritionally deficient diet. I'd question the quality of their milk as well.

Xhin
07-30-2012, 11:27 PM

My heart just skipped a beat.

VanBummel
07-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Government getting all up in your tits...

DamianTV
07-31-2012, 01:51 AM
Exactly... This is actually a win for babies and a negative to big-Pharma and the nanny state.

This is one of Bloomberg's "grabs" that I will not protest.

Big-Pharma has been pushing this crap since the 70s making mother's believe that their milk was inferior to formula.

I think you should be. Although I am just as much for Breast Feeding and Anti Big Pharma as pretty much most people on this forum with more than two brain cells to rub together, the Right of the Individual to Choose is what needs to be protected AT ALL COSTS. This is NANNY STATE. This is them telling you what to do because they want everyone to BELIEVE they know what is best for you. The next step is that Bloomberg will require that all new Showers come installed with Government Cameras in them, because as you know (well were told by the Nanny State), most slip and fall accidents happen in the Shower. And even if that isnt true, they'll publish a buttload of statistics to make it true. Actually the Government Shower Camera is probably three or four steps out. First comes the Food Police. This Breast Feeding Forcing is the Food Police.

And as I continue to say, what is happening right now is not what you should be worried about. You need to fight what is happening right now because allowing what they push right now opens doors for what happens next. Do you think they will stop at Required Breast Feeding, Food Police, and Govt Shower Cams? What comes after that will leave those that are controlled as bearing almost no traits of what it is to be a human being, and actually have more in common with the Dairy Cow than a Person.

(Edit: Add, Insult is NOT directed at daviddee, but other forum trolls like Fire11)