PDA

View Full Version : Smart meters will create a "data tsunami" that will yield profits from yet unknown sources

Anti Federalist
07-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah, great, just another way to fold, spindle and mutilate my personal habits in the privacy of my home to benefit the facist corpo/government complex.

Fuck these things, I don't care what anybody says, that woman in Houston did right.

Why smart-grid analytics are a big deal

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/post/why-smart-grid-analytics-are-a-big-deal/2011/08/15/gIQAr3OIIJ_blog.html

Upgrades to the nation’s energy grid, which include the installation of smart sensors and nodes, are likely to have a fundamental effect on the way we monitor our energy usage.

The installation of these new technologies is leading to a “data tsunami,” according to the clean-technology market research and consulting firm Pike Research. But the industry is still in need of programs that can read the data and make it actionable for both energy producers and consumers. The emerging smart-grid data analytics industry is projected to generate $11.3 billion in revenue between 2011 and 2015, according to a Pike Research report.

Imagine being able to monitor your energy usage in real-time from your thermostat, or if your energy company could send you an e-mail when you’ve surpassed your previous month’s usage level? That’s to say nothing of the real-time alert capabilities energy companies could use to avoid outages. With real-time analysis of smart-grid data, this could be possible.

But the greatest benefit of being able to accurately read this data may not have been discovered yet. As GigaOm’s Katie Fehrenbacher writes:

Beyond the obvious grid and consumer management applications, it could be the data analytics that can create value from data in ways that utilities are not expecting that could have the most value.
It’s worth noting that Pike Research’s $11.5 billion estimate for the potential revenue value of smart-grid analytics technology is a marked increase from its 2010 estimate, which projected potential revenues for the 2010-15 period at $4.2 billion. And numerous companies, from Microsoft to Siemens, are making their presence known in the field

Dr.3D
07-25-2012, 08:02 PM
From what I've heard so far, all these do is monitor how much power is being used by that address at any given time. I am having problems with seeing anything really wrong with that.

It isn't like they can tell if you have your television on or your toaster or whatever. I seriously doubt it is that selective in the way it monitors electricity usage.

Sure, it would probably see every spike from when my well pump kicks in... but so what?

amy31416
07-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Solar...wind...water power? Build your own if you can....

amy31416
07-25-2012, 08:05 PM
From what I've heard so far, all these do is monitor how much power is being used by that address at any given time. I am having problems with seeing anything really wrong with that.

It isn't like they can tell if you have your television on or your toaster or whatever. I seriously doubt it is that selective in the way it monitors electricity usage.

Sure, it would probably see every spike from when my well pump kicks in... but so what?

They've actually been using electric usage for a while in order to try to catch people who grow pot at home using grow lights. They'll swat raid someone based on this in some areas.

Dr.3D
07-25-2012, 08:15 PM
They've actually been using electric usage for a while in order to try to catch people who grow pot at home using grow lights. They'll swat raid someone based on this in some areas.

Oh I know that. I've also known many who have gone to using LED grow lights to help mask their electricity usage.

amy31416
07-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Oh I know that. I've also known many who have gone to using LED grow lights to help mask their electricity usage.

There are LED grow lights? That's news to me.

Don't tell anyone that I'm such a square........

RonRules
07-25-2012, 08:29 PM
The good thing with smart meters is that when George Stephanopoulos comes on TV, there will be a strong correlation with toilet flushing three minutes later.

Dr.3D
07-25-2012, 08:32 PM

Don't tell anyone that I'm such a square........
Yeah, they sell them in a place down the road from me for just that purpose. Seems it's legal for some folks to grow the stuff. At least legal in this state but illegal if the federal government decides to do something about it.

I believe if the feds try to do something about it, the governor should have the national guard arrest the feds and lock them up for breaking state law.

Dr.3D
07-25-2012, 08:33 PM
The good thing with smart meters is that when George Stephanopoulos comes on TV, there will be a strong correlation with toilet flushing three minutes later.

LOL, yeah, with all of the well pumps kicking in at the same time, they might have to make a rule to keep him off the air.

Danke
07-25-2012, 10:14 PM

Don't tell anyone that I'm such a square........ I have been here too long to consider you that:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?384296-quot-Windows-8-is-a-Catastrophe-quot-Gabe-Newell&p=4552853&viewfull=1#post4552853

moostraks
07-26-2012, 07:02 AM
"make it actionable for both energy producers and consumers"
Really now? Just how will the energy producers act upon individual usage data such as this I wonder? /sarc Power people are power hungry. Here there isn't even a walk in office, you must contact them by phone and all issues are handled that way. In Alabama they were behind bullet proof glass. Try to get off grid and the state will force you back in with accusations of child abuse or dementia depending on your life circumstances. Ugh I hate the state...

Valli6
07-26-2012, 07:27 AM
They're rather expensive to buy. I've seen small "grow bars" for about $250. Some people make their own, but you need to know some light & botany science to create the right kind of light.
Lots of interesting info for gardening indoors: http://www.greenpinelane.com/

odamn
07-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Don't be silly.
You give away more important info about yourself here, than any smartmeter will ever collect.

Matt Collins
07-26-2012, 05:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ8YR7Kzj_M&list=UUklG6ilxW_PeYeDSpKSRGZQ& index=5&feature=plcp

Anti Federalist
07-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Don't be silly.
You give away more important info about yourself here, than any smartmeter will ever collect.

That's debatable.

But, be my guest, plug into that data grid all you want.

How do I decline or take my business elsewhere?

DamianTV
07-26-2012, 06:26 PM
That's debatable.

But, be my guest, plug into that data grid all you want.

How do I decline or take my business elsewhere?

Take your business elsewhere? How dare you think that way mundane! We shall lobby your Govt at EVERY Level to ensure that our theft is, *ahem* your purchase is Required By Law! And if you refuse to give us your money, then you will give your money to one of our buddies! And in exchange for your purchase, we will take that money and use it to bribe your so called Elected Representatives (that really represent us!) in order to pass even more laws that deny you the ability to be self sufficient!

Now as you may be aware, the economy is not doing so hot. And a lot of people have stopped paying their bills. Foreclosed homes dont generate enough revenue for us to be able to survive without jacking up the prices of the "services" we provide to you. As a result, we must now find other means of making not just a lot of money, but a shitload of money, all at your expense! We are aware that you have been milked dry, out of everything that you are worth, and your financial irresponsibility which you caused by not spending enough at companies that send your jobs overseas is cutting into our profit margins!

So it is with great pleasure that we will now be implementing new money making schemes and have found another use for you, the Mundane, to further increase our bottom line! Since we are not able to squeeze any more blood out of you turnips, we have decided to do what every other deceptive and manipulative company that is currently profitable does. Sell your private information to anyone willing to purchase it. Their resources will be generated by the usefulness of the information that we provide to them. That is to say, we can tell some official sounding person that you were running yoru Air Conditioning at a time which violates some supposed law, you would then be fined by said entity, and once you pay those fines, they pay us with that money they have taken from you and other Electricty Wasters for information that you had in fact been using your Air Conditioning at an Unauthorized Time.

We would apologize to you for the way that things have turned out, but you must understand that this is going to benefit us, and we do not feel that you Mundanes deserve any form of apology. You wont do anything to stop our actions when we break the law. You've allowed us to purchase your Representatives and bend their will to our own selfish desires. You deserve everything that you have allowed to happen. Now go be good little worker bees, dont use too much of the resources that we limit you access to, and have a wonderful day!

Sincerely, (only, not really)
Your Local Power Company