PDA

View Full Version : Greek Olympian Removed From Games Over Tweet

James Madison
07-25-2012, 03:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--greek-triple-jumper-removed-from-olympic-team-after-making-racist-comments-on-twitter.html

LONDON – Greek triple jumper Voula Papachristou was banished from the Olympic Games on Wednesday after making racist comments and expressing right-wing sentiments on Twitter.
Papachristou was scheduled to fly to London next week from her training base in Athens when the Hellenic Olympic Committee – Greek’s Olympic federation – made the decision to expel her from the team.

Papachristou, 23, made a racist and tasteless comment on her Twitter account, @papaxristoutj, that highlighted the number of African immigrants in Greece.
“With so many Africans in Greece … at least the West Nile mosquitos will eat homemade food!!!,” Papachristou wrote. She also reposted a comment from controversial Greek politician Ilias Kasidiaris, who has strongly criticized his government’s “soft” immigration policy.

The West Nile virus was first discovered in Uganda, but cases have recently been found during the European summer. Papachristou’s tweet was met with a flood of angry responses, but she didn’t respond until Wednesday, when it became clear she might lose her spot in the Olympics.
“I would like to express my heartfelt apologies for the unfortunate and tasteless joke I published on my personal Twitter account,” she said. “I am very sorry and ashamed for the negative responses I triggered, since I never wanted to offend anyone, or to encroach human rights.”

By then, it was too late. Greek Olympic chiefs consulted with senior members of the Greek parliament, including aides to Prime Minister Antonis Samaras, before making their decision. Part of the reason for the expulsion was to punish Papachristou for her actions, but the decision was also made in hopes of avoiding a backlash from anti-racism protestors at the Games.
The financial crisis gripping Greece – where strict austerity measures have affected the lives of millions – has forced the country to rely heavily on corporate sponsorship to fund its Olympic program. Officials feared that contributors may rethink their commitment if Papachristou remained on the team.

“There is never a good time for something like this to happen,” one source with knowledge of the decision told Yahoo! Sports. “But this is especially a bad time. Action had to happen. To not act would have been negligent and place Greece in a very negative light.”
Greek officials later released an official statement announcing Papchristou would be placed "outside the Olympic team for statements contrary to the values and ideas of the Olympic movement."

Revolution9
07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
That was a good joke. People are so thin skinned.

Rev9

ShaneEnochs
07-25-2012, 04:38 PM
I laughed. If I lived in Africa, I'd probably still laugh.

Danke
07-25-2012, 04:43 PM
How is that "racist?"

Anti Federalist
07-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Why am I "retarded redneck" if I mention that I don't care for people from another country and racial group gleefully looking forward to me and my offspring dying off, but this is regarded as the most offensive thing uttered since the last episode of Amos n' Andy was recorded?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?383987-quot-You-old-white-people.-It-is-your-duty-to-die.-quot

ronpaulfollower999
07-25-2012, 04:56 PM
I don't see how it's racist, but I can see how it's offensive.

Anti Federalist
07-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Oh, and FFS, maybe somebody, someday, will figure out that it is not a good idea to post on Twatter and FedBook under your real name.

James Madison
07-25-2012, 04:59 PM
How is that "racist?"

It wasn't.

LibertyEagle
07-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Political correctness bullshit.

James Madison
07-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Here's more full-retard from the Olympics.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/australian-olympic-swimmers-criticized-facebook-gun-photo-154500136.html

Two members of the Australian Olympic swim team are under fire for posing with three guns and posting the photo on Facebook.
Swimming Australia demanded Kenrick Monk take down the picture of him and Nick D'Arcy in a California gun shop. He complied.
In the picture, Monk held pump action shotguns that resemble those used in the Port Arthur massacre of 1996, an incident which still stands as one of Australia's deadliest shootings. D'Arcy held a semi-automatic pistol.
The Sydney Daily Telegraph was among the Aussie newspapers to question the decision of the young men. On its Twitter account, the newspaper asked, "Are you offended by this photograph of Nick D'Arcy and Kenrick Monk in a US gun shop?"

The two young men need no introduction to stupidity. D'Arcy was involved in a brawl on the night the 2008 Australian Olympic team was announced and broke the jaw, nose, eye socket and cheekbone of a teammate. He was kicked off the team but avoided jail for the incident.
The lawyer of the man he punched was surprisingly surprised at D'Arcy's current brush with infamy. "I can't believe it," Sam Macedone told The Age. "Despite all the criticism, he still does things that are stupid."
Monk broke his elbow last September and blamed it on a hit-and-run driver. Four days after filing a police report, he confessed that he had actually fallen off his skateboard. Police didn't charge Monk, calling him a "wannabe B-grade celebrity athlete." (Police in Australia sound sort of awesome.)
"It was all just meant to be a bit of fun, the photos were just a bit of fun," D'Arcy told reporters upon his return to Australia on Friday. "If anyone's been offended I deeply apologize. It was never the intent, it was never supposed to be offensive."
There are reports that the Australian Olympic Committee could keep both swimmers off the team for the "foolish" action that was "clearly inappropriate for members of the 2012 Australian Olympic team."

So, what I learned from this article: gun ownership is 'stupid', 'offensive', and 'foolish'.

Bet there wouldn't be a problem if those were cops. How about soldiers posing with dead Afghanis, trophy style?

heavenlyboy34
07-25-2012, 05:07 PM
That was a good joke. People are so thin skinned.

Rev9
ditto. :D

Anti Federalist
07-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Cause, you know, god forbid, guns be associated with the Olympics.

Oh...wait.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4sOeSf67-Wk/T85Isdi_S7I/AAAAAAAAAIE/Ns7wJbG2rSc/s762/shooting.jpg

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/biathlon-14.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/australian-olympic-swimmers-criticized-facebook-gun-photo-154500136.html

Two members of the Australian Olympic swim team are under fire for posing with three guns and posting the photo on Facebook.
Swimming Australia demanded Kenrick Monk take down the picture of him and Nick D'Arcy in a California gun shop. He complied.
In the picture, Monk held pump action shotguns that resemble those used in the Port Arthur massacre of 1996, an incident which still stands as one of Australia's deadliest shootings. D'Arcy held a semi-automatic pistol.
The Sydney Daily Telegraph was among the Aussie newspapers to question the decision of the young men. On its Twitter account, the newspaper asked, "Are you offended by this photograph of Nick D'Arcy and Kenrick Monk in a US gun shop?"

The two young men need no introduction to stupidity. D'Arcy was involved in a brawl on the night the 2008 Australian Olympic team was announced and broke the jaw, nose, eye socket and cheekbone of a teammate. He was kicked off the team but avoided jail for the incident.
The lawyer of the man he punched was surprisingly surprised at D'Arcy's current brush with infamy. "I can't believe it," Sam Macedone told The Age. "Despite all the criticism, he still does things that are stupid."
Monk broke his elbow last September and blamed it on a hit-and-run driver. Four days after filing a police report, he confessed that he had actually fallen off his skateboard. Police didn't charge Monk, calling him a "wannabe B-grade celebrity athlete." (Police in Australia sound sort of awesome.)
"It was all just meant to be a bit of fun, the photos were just a bit of fun," D'Arcy told reporters upon his return to Australia on Friday. "If anyone's been offended I deeply apologize. It was never the intent, it was never supposed to be offensive."
There are reports that the Australian Olympic Committee could keep both swimmers off the team for the "foolish" action that was "clearly inappropriate for members of the 2012 Australian Olympic team."

So, what I learned from this article: gun ownership is 'stupid', 'offensive', and 'foolish'.

Bet there wouldn't be a problem if those were cops. How about soldiers posing with dead Afghanis, trophy style?

Pericles
07-25-2012, 09:45 PM
She can jump me anytime. :)

Anti Federalist
07-27-2012, 11:14 AM
She can jump me anytime. :)

Har.

PaulConventionWV
07-27-2012, 01:25 PM

They would probably be kicked off the Olympic team, too.

Oh, wait...

In all seriousness, though, this is ridiculously absurd. Why is posing with guns such a bad thing? This is just a sign that we are all starting to fall under the spell of worldwide propaganda being orchestrated by the UN and implemented by each member nation's government.

Pericles
07-27-2012, 01:28 PM
The IOC has been full on retard for a long time. A sport requires either a ball, a clock, or a finish line.

pochy1776
07-27-2012, 01:46 PM
WOW, A greek disavowed from the olympics. It's like Lee Doren in the mises institue. It is stupid and really sad.