PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul on the Aurora shooting

Anti Federalist
07-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Security and Self-Governance

by Ron Paul

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul815.html

The senseless and horrific killings last week at a movie theater in Colorado reminded Americans that life is fragile and beautiful, and we should not take family, friends, and loved ones for granted. Our prayers go out to the injured victims and the families of those killed. As a nation we should use this terrible event to come together with the resolve to create a society that better values life.

We should also face the sober reality that government cannot protect us from all possible harm. No matter how many laws we pass, no matter how many police or federal agents we put on the streets, no matter how routinely we monitor internet communications, a determined individual or group can still cause great harm. We as individuals are responsible for our safety and the safety of our families.

Furthermore, it is the role of civil society rather than government to build a culture of responsible, peaceful, productive individuals. Government cannot mandate morality or instill hope in troubled individuals. External controls on our behavior imposed by government through laws, police, and jails usually apply only after a terrible crime has occurred.

Internal self governance, by contrast, is a much more powerful regulator of human behavior than any law. This self-governance must be developed from birth, first by parents but later also through the positive influence of relatives and adult role models. Beyond childhood, character development can occur through religious, civic, and social institutions. Ultimately, self-governance cannot be developed without an underlying foundation of morality.

Government, however, is not a moral actor. The state should protect our rights, but it cannot develop our character. Whenever terrible crimes occur, many Americans understandably demand that government “do something” to prevent similar crimes in the future. But this reflexive impulse almost always leads to bad laws and the loss of liberty.

Do we really want to live in a world of police checkpoints, surveillance cameras, and metal detectors? Do we really believe government can provide total security? Do we want to involuntarily commit every disaffected, disturbed, or alienated person who fantasizes about violence? Or can we accept that liberty is more important than the illusion of state-provided security?

Freedom is not defined by safety.

Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.

donnay
07-24-2012, 09:33 PM
As always Ron Paul said what needs to be said.

TheTexan
07-24-2012, 09:35 PM
One of our greatest strengths, and greatest weaknesses, as the human race, is that we cannot accept that something is simply out of our control

RonPaulFanInGA
07-24-2012, 09:36 PM
The government has gotten to Dr. Paul too! Not one mention of how this false flag was staged by the government; how they drugged and mind-controlled a random college student to go on a mass shooting spree in order to get the U.N.'s Small Arms Treaty passed.

Can no one be trusted‽

Danke
07-24-2012, 09:39 PM
The government has gotten to Dr. Paul too! Not one mention of how this false flag was staged by the government; how they drugged and mind-controlled a random college student to go on a mass shooting spree in order to get the U.N.'s Small Arms Treaty passed.

Can no one be trusted‽

ya, I know you are being sarcastic. But you really think a politician could come out and say that?

He is doing a pretty darn good job working within the system for our benefit. Even though he knows the system is corrupt.

lx43
07-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Freedom is far more important to me than the false sense of security that a 10 million man police state can provide.

Kylie
07-24-2012, 09:46 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

God love that man.

mport1
07-24-2012, 10:22 PM

Can no one be trusted‽

Haha, seriously?

Absolutely brilliant article from Ron Paul.

QuickZ06
07-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Awesome!

Feeding the Abscess
07-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Quite a few voluntaryist dogwhistles in this one.

And on CSPAN, he questioned WW2.

I like Radical Ron. Hope we get to see more of him as he leaves Congress.

PierzStyx
07-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Quite a few voluntaryist dogwhistles in this one.

And on CSPAN, he questioned WW2.

I like Radical Ron. Hope we get to see more of him as he leaves Congress.

Got a link for the CSPAN thing? I love Radical Ron myself.

dillo
07-25-2012, 02:07 AM
ya, I know you are being sarcastic. But you really think a politician could come out and say that?

He is doing a pretty darn good job working within the system for our benefit. Even though he knows the system is corrupt.

Id like to see what he says about 9/11 after he retires

Feeding the Abscess
07-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Got a link for the CSPAN thing? I love Radical Ron myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v25w3YpbwFk&feature=player_embedded

It's in the 9/11 response, around the 33 minute mark.

phill4paul
07-25-2012, 05:33 AM
Do we really want to live in a world of police checkpoints, surveillance cameras, and metal detectors? Do we really believe government can provide total security? Do we want to involuntarily commit every disaffected, disturbed, or alienated person who fantasizes about violence? Or can we accept that liberty is more important than the illusion of state-provided security?

Freedom is not defined by safety.

And that, bolded above, is the trouble. Far too many are quite happy to demand the illusion of safety at the loss of freedom. If it were not so then we would not be where we are today.

TheTexan
07-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Radical Ron ftw

KCIndy
07-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons. --Rep. Ron Paul, July 24, 2012

I know Dr. Paul deserves his retirement. I know he has fought long and hard against the odds. I know he has stood like an immovable object against the relentless tides of statism and tyranny. I know he has done all that for years, and with very little thanks and almost no support. I know he deserves to rest and to hang out the "gone fishin'" sign. I know it. And I know he more than deserves it and has earned it....

...but oh, how I will miss that man when he is no longer in the House. :(

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
I so love and adore this man.

phill4paul
07-25-2012, 05:20 PM
I know Dr. Paul deserves his retirement. I know he has fought long and hard against the odds. I know he has stood like an immovable object against the relentless tides of statism and tyranny. I know he has done all that for years, and with very little thanks and almost no support. I know he deserves to rest and to hang out the "gone fishin'" sign. I know it. And I know he more than deserves it and has earned it....

...but oh, how I will miss that man when he is no longer in the House. :(

In 100% agreement. :(