PDA

View Full Version : James Holmes Received $26K Grant From Bethesda-Based National Institutes of Health

RonPaulFanInGA
07-24-2012, 09:22 PM
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/07/24/james-holmes-received-26k-grant-from-bethesda-based-national-institutes-of-health/

WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) - James Holmes, the alleged gunman in the recent theater shooting that left 12 dead in Aurora, Colo., was previously awarded a $26,000 federal grant.

WNEW News reports that Holmes was awarded a prestigious grant from the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md. NIH is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

It gave the graduate student a $26,000 stipend and paid his tuition for the highly competitive neuroscience program at the University of Colorado in Denver. Holmes was one of six neuroscience students at the school to get the grant money.

"Holmes didn't buy that, the government made that happen."

brandon
07-24-2012, 09:31 PM
This was my first thought when the conspiracy-tards started saying it's impossible for a student to get their hands on 20 grand.

ghengis86
07-24-2012, 09:52 PM
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/07/24/james-holmes-received-26k-grant-from-bethesda-based-national-institutes-of-health/

Okay, that quote is a winner.

Maybe Michael Moore and Piers Morgan will do a show about eliminating federal grants????

truelies
07-25-2012, 05:27 AM
This was my first thought when the conspiracy-tards started saying it's impossible for a student to get their hands on 20 grand.

yeppers money from the State to fund his terror attack, no 'conspiracy' in that eh.

UtahApocalypse
07-25-2012, 05:40 AM

You sir, won the internet.

ghengis86
07-25-2012, 05:47 AM
If it weren't for the federal government these (and many other people) would still be alive.

aGameOfThrones
07-25-2012, 05:49 AM
First we had Fast & Furious, do we now have Grant & Furious?

phill4paul
07-25-2012, 06:03 AM
Personally, I never felt his 'arsenal' approached the 20k that many espoused. I had pegged it to between 5k-7k which is easily obtainable to anyone in his position.

kathy88
07-25-2012, 06:05 AM

You really can be a divisive prick Brandon. If it was your first thought, why no mention of a grant in your numerous slanderous posts?

Nickels
07-25-2012, 06:09 AM
If it weren't for the federal government these (and many other people) would still be alive.

Lmao, ever heard of student loans or credit cards? And he just can't be independently (previous typo from iPhone, sorry) rich or have saved for a hobby, right?

(oh, I didn't know you were sarcastic)

Nickels
07-25-2012, 06:11 AM
You really can be a divisive prick Brandon. If it was your first thought, why no mention of a grant in your numerous slanderous posts?

I think he meant, his first thought was that he was a student and had access to some financial assistance, not necessary a grant.

Bruno
07-25-2012, 06:57 AM

Name calling, how clever of you.

jmdrake
07-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Lmao, ever heard of student loans or credit cards? And he just can't be indecently rich or have saved for a hobby, right?

Ummmm....did you miss the joke? The left is running around saying that we have to ban assault weapons to prevent tragedies like this. Banning assault weapons to prevent gun violence makes about as much sense as banning government grants to prevent gun violence. Just like you can get money through alternative means, you can get weapons through alternative means.

Nickels
07-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Ummmm....did you miss the joke? The left is running around saying that we have to ban assault weapons to prevent tragedies like this. Banning assault weapons to prevent gun violence makes about as much sense as banning government grants to prevent gun violence. Just like you can get money through alternative means, you can get weapons through alternative means.

Yeah, I might've missed the joke. Sorry, I thought you were asking me if "you" missed the joke, or was I making one. I also apologize for the autocorrect on my iphone, I meant "independently rich". In other words "why do conspiracy theorists think he only got money from a backer of some sort, as if he can't save for his hobby or just be rich, rich enough to have $20k, $40k, whatever was necessary"

thoughtomator
07-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Personally, I never felt his 'arsenal' approached the 20k that many espoused. I had pegged it to between 5k-7k which is easily obtainable to anyone in his position.

For the vast majority of Americans today, $5-7k of anything is impossible to accumulate. Something like half of Americans would have to borrow to cover an unanticipated $1k expense. This guy was an unemployed college student - so unless this is family money or from the black market, where'd he get it? The NIH $$ probably went right to the university and never stopped in his hands, so that's probably not the source.

phill4paul
07-25-2012, 07:57 AM
For the vast majority of Americans today, $5-7k of anything is impossible to accumulate. Something like half of Americans would have to borrow to cover an unanticipated $1k expense. This guy was an unemployed college student - so unless this is family money or from the black market, where'd he get it? The NIH $$ probably went right to the university and never stopped in his hands, so that's probably not the source.

Note that I wrote 'in his position.' His parents seem to have good jobs so it is quite possible that he was getting some money from them. I do not know how his grant/loans were disbursed. Back in the early 90's my Pell Grants were issued as a check to me. Also, he is a college student. A direct target of Credit loans. Obtaining a credit card with a high interest probably wouldn't be terribly hard for a grad student with good credit.

brandon
07-25-2012, 07:57 AM

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?383847-Colorado-Shooting-Potential-Staged-Event-Article&p=4544819&viewfull=1#post4544819

Maybe he just got cut a 20k check for school?

This isn't rocket science people.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-25-2012, 08:13 AM

6k rounds, depending on what, can eat up 5k pretty easy.

phill4paul
07-25-2012, 08:24 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-07-21/theater-shooting-weapons/56394358/1

•The guns. The AR-15 assault rifle Holmes used inside the theater, police said, and a .40-caliber Glock handgun were purchased at local Gander Mountain sporting goods stores. The assault rifle could be purchased for $729 from Gander Mountain, and a similar Glock handgun runs $600, according to the store website. Colorado requires a background check of the buyer, but there's no waiting period before purchase.
The Remington 12-gauge shotgun (retail price: $319) and another Glock handgun ($600) were bought at a Bass Pro Shop in Denver, police said. Authorities said all the guns were purchased legally and within the past 60 days.
Colorado law allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, if its use is for the lawful protection of the person or another person or property, according to the Colorado State Police website. Colorado law also allows a person to possess a handgun in a dwelling, place of business or automobile.
Total cost of guns: $2,248
•The ammunition. A 100-round drum of .233-caliber ammunition for the AR-15 rifle, such as the one police said was found on Holmes when he surrendered, can be obtained for $279 from websites such as atlanticfirearms.com. The ammunition ships to a local dealer, who runs a background check on the buyer, according to the website. The site says it cannot sell the 100-round drum in eight states. Colorado is not listed.
Aurora police said Holmes obtained all 6,300 rounds of ammunition — 3,000 for the AR-15 rifle, 3,000 for the handguns and 300 for the shotgun — online. A 1,000-round case of Wolf-brand ammo for the AR-15 costs $229 at atlanticfirearms.com. Gander Mountain's website sells boxes of .40-caliber bullets for $70 (for 120 rounds), and a box of 10 12-gauge shotgun shells is $15.
Total cost of ammo: $2,870
•The body gear. A ProMax bulletproof vest, Level III-A is available on sites such as eBay or bulletproofme.com for $560. Bulletproofme.com states on its website that it sells only to "law-abiding adults" but leaves it up to buyers to certify they don't have a criminal record.
The Kevlar helmet and neck and groin protectors police said Holmes wore also are available on bulletproofme.com. Gas masks and military-grade tear gas can be found on websites such as keepshooting.com and approvedgasmasks.com. There are no purchase restrictions.
Total cost of body gear: $970.
•The apartment. Initial views inside Holmes' booby-trapped apartment revealed 30 fireworks canisters known as "artillery shells" filled with smokeless powder and connected to trip wires, according to a federal law enforcement official who was not authorized to comment publicly. The apartment also contained liter-size soft drink bottles filled with incendiary liquids and rounds of ammunition, the official said.
Bigfireworks.com offers the artillery shells for about $8 each. Outdoor megastore Cabela's offers 1-pound jugs of smokeless powder for $26 each with no restrictions on purchases.
Estimated cost of booby traps: $300.

Nickels
07-25-2012, 08:52 AM
For the vast majority of Americans today, $5-7k of anything is impossible to accumulate.

That's why vast majorities of Americans are not PhDs.

Something like half of Americans would have to borrow to cover an unanticipated $1k expense.

After they've borrowed hundreds of those. From car to house.

This guy was an unemployed college student - so unless this is family money or from the black market, where'd he get it?

Sure why not, family or black market. So what?

The NIH $$ probably went right to the university and never stopped in his hands, so that's probably not the source.

Exactly, probably not the source. But it helps here and there. I just don't see why people think $20K is too much for an expensive hobby.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-25-2012, 09:00 AM
A 1,000-round case of Wolf-brand ammo for the AR-15 costs $229 at atlanticfirearms.com.

I stand corrected. But also, no wonder his gun jammed. I'd rather throw a rock. lol

angelatc
07-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Guns don't kill people, grant money kills people.

PaulConventionWV
07-25-2012, 09:03 AM

Granted, it's not, but this doesn't really help matters, considering the money did come from the government.

PaulConventionWV
07-25-2012, 09:12 AM
That's why vast majorities of Americans are not PhDs.

After they've borrowed hundreds of those. From car to house.

Sure why not, family or black market. So what?

Exactly, probably not the source. But it helps here and there. I just don't see why people think $20K is too much for an expensive hobby.

This is kind of off-topic, but I still hold the view that nobody spends months accumulating weapons and spending thousands of dollars just to commit a gruesome murder of several people and end up in jail, probably on death row. At the very least, I believe he had to have been on some type of psychotropic drugs, or be coming off of them. I read in the paper how he acted in his first court hearing, and it sounded exactly like someone who's whacked out on goofballs.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-25-2012, 04:26 PM
This isn't rocket science people.

It is when you're trying to cook up a secret government plot story on-the-fly with only flimsy conjecture to go off of.

Zippyjuan
07-25-2012, 07:28 PM
They do issue grants to hundreds of students (five other students at the school had the same grants) every year. How many go psycho? I figured somebody would try to turn that into the government funding his activities (and possibly controlling him).

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-26-2012, 01:04 AM
They do issue grants to hundreds of students (five other students at the school had the same grants) every year. How many go psycho?

One in six at that school, according to your data.

If you are correct with your numbers, that sounds like a pretty big problem.