PDA

View Full Version : Question

hrdman2luv
07-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Since the Nebraska convention news, I haven't followed along with Ron Paul much. But someone aked me a question that I couldn't answer. Will Ron Paul have a speaking spot in Tampa, at the GOP convention?

sailingaway
07-22-2012, 01:49 PM
He should. Best information, confirmed recently by an RNC Rules committee member is that 'binding' doesn't count for the nomination process, binding is 'on the ballot' only. Ron has at least five states: NV, LA, IA, ME and MN

Even if a Romney controlled rules committee tried to cheat Ron out of that Ron's five states should get him nomination as VP, which also has a nomination speech.

However, if the Romney controllled (we assume) credentials committee cheats to the point of disqualifying all of Ron's delegates as they have been trying to do state by state PRIOR to the convention, who knows?

As of now, Ron should have a speech.

hrdman2luv
07-27-2012, 07:34 PM
I was listening to a radio show out of Houston the other day, And Ron Paul was on there. He was pretty sure that he wouldn't hav a speaking spot. At least he seemed to be saying that, without saying that. As if it was expected for him to just not show up at all at the GOP convention.

sailingaway
07-27-2012, 07:59 PM
I was listening to a radio show out of Houston the other day, And Ron Paul was on there. He was pretty sure that he wouldn't hav a speaking spot. At least he seemed to be saying that, without saying that. As if it was expected for him to just not show up at all at the GOP convention.

That is what Romney et al are angling for. Ron had better prepare a speech. Right now, unless we lose LA which we should not lose, Ron has 5 states. He may have more, since some states were close,depending on who shows up.

I am concerned Ron doesn't have all the facts. He also said something in an interview about Romney having endorsed Audit of the Fed when all Romney did was tweet vaguely that Ron's fight on that showed his tirelessness. An article quoting Benton absolutely made it sound as if Romney had endorsed it, without actually saying it. I hope Ron is in the loop, but I'm concerned the campaign may be looking ahead and not keeping Ron up on all the information.

In any event, in my opinion Ron should have five states. But there is a lot of cheating going on, so until Ron is actually up there making his speech I'm not going to take it for granted.

SilenceDewgooder
07-27-2012, 08:28 PM
He should. Best information, confirmed recently by an RNC Rules committee member is that 'binding' doesn't count for the nomination process, binding is 'on the ballot' only. Ron has at least five states: NV, LA, IA, ME and MN

Even if a Romney controlled rules committee tried to cheat Ron out of that Ron's five states should get him nomination as VP, which also has a nomination speech.

However, if the Romney controllled (we assume) credentials committee cheats to the point of disqualifying all of Ron's delegates as they have been trying to do state by state PRIOR to the convention, who knows?

As of now, Ron should have a speech.

I'll be sure to tell Dr. Paul to have one ready

ClydeCoulter
07-27-2012, 10:22 PM
I'll be sure to tell Dr. Paul to have one ready

Are you going to be seeing him soon?

hrdman2luv
07-29-2012, 01:41 AM
I thought we had like 11 states. Or at least close to that. With all the jerrymandering going on with the RNC, I can't see why RP even cares anymore. Even if he gets a speaking spot at the convention, surely he knows that the RNC itself will rig the convention votes if they need to. But even that, Romney still has more national delegates than Ron Paul.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see Ron Paul beat the liberal pants off Romney at the national convention. I firmly believe that Ron Paul is the only one that could actually beat Romney. At least if the media would keep their noses out of it and play fair.

sailingaway
07-29-2012, 10:17 AM
I thought we had like 11 states. Or at least close to that. With all the jerrymandering going on with the RNC, I can't see why RP even cares anymore. Even if he gets a speaking spot at the convention, surely he knows that the RNC itself will rig the convention votes if they need to. But even that, Romney still has more national delegates than Ron Paul.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see Ron Paul beat the liberal pants off Romney at the national convention. I firmly believe that Ron Paul is the only one that could actually beat Romney. At least if the media would keep their noses out of it and play fair.

The video going around was speculation before conventions, and I wish they had made that clearer because it was picked up in some widely circulated videos. Colorado we "should have" but it depends on Santa folks living up to the deal to vote for Ron and now that Santa has made a big deal of 'opposing Ron' at convention (on what, he doesn't say) that is a big question. If binding isn't an issue for nomination, there are other states. However, the point is we will have to see at convention and Romney's folks and the RNC have been challenging and kicking off Ron Paul delegates at the state level, over wholly trumped up charges.

We will have to see what happens at Tampa. Ron SHOULD have the strength to be nominated from the floor, however.

Scott_in_PA
07-29-2012, 02:08 PM
I think he will get to speak, a vp nomination shouldn't be a problem under the current rules.

He may not accept, and I would understand.

I'm going to Hijack here a bit and share an idea. I'd rather not start a new thread yet because there is still a month until the convention.

We had a get together yesterday to raise money for one our delegates here and as I was going through my box of stuff I was wondering what I was going to do with all the balloons I had...:rolleyes:

I'm going to be at this big gathering next month and the thought of Balloons showering down from the upper levels of this gathering put a BIG smile on my face.:D

So my question is..........How many balloons can we get in and when should we all toss them about ?

It really seems like a no harm move that would get a lot of attention.:eek:

PierzStyx
07-29-2012, 06:30 PM
I am concerned Ron doesn't have all the facts. He also said something in an interview about Romney having endorsed Audit of the Fed when all Romney did was tweet vaguely that Ron's fight on that showed his tirelessness. An article quoting Benton absolutely made it sound as if Romney had endorsed it, without actually saying it. I hope Ron is in the loop, but I'm concerned the campaign may be looking ahead and not keeping Ron up on all the information.

I'm not worried. I saw the interview where he mentioned Romney and Audit The Fed together. I think his point was that the bill had mass support and even Romney's tweet is enough ti cite for the purposes of trying to force the Senate to vote. i think that is his focus not if Romney actually supports the bill.

jcannon98188
07-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I don't know how valid it is, but L4RP said that the Ron Paul camp is aware that they are not going to get a speech, that they qualify to get it, but that is just isn't going to happen. I know the rules say Ron Paul will qualify for it, but then again the GOP hasn't paid any attention to the rules at all this campaign cycle

sailingaway
07-30-2012, 08:32 AM
I don't know how valid it is, but L4RP said that the Ron Paul camp is aware that they are not going to get a speech, that they qualify to get it, but that is just isn't going to happen. I know the rules say Ron Paul will qualify for it, but then again the GOP hasn't paid any attention to the rules at all this campaign cycle

What bugs me about statements like this by the campaign is the implication of 'acceptance' of that nonsense. At that point they need to be putting out a web ad of the video of the LA convention for media to pick up, for example. This is egregious, you don't just say 'they won't let us', you wreak a price by spreading the truth.

Elwar
07-30-2012, 09:14 AM
It would be worth it all just to have Ron Paul get up there and state: "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice!"

hrdman2luv
08-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Has RP conceded that he won't have a speaking spot at the convention?

sailingaway
08-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Has RP conceded that he won't have a speaking spot at the convention?

No. But Carol has said the RNC said 'there won't be five states' and the RNC is trying to make it so.

Oregon has a majority too.

wgadget
08-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Dang, you'd think this would be news. Well, at least the RNC is having to WORK to disenfranchise those voters....

SilenceDewgooder
08-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Are you going to be seeing him soon?

I'll be seeing him tomorrow in Columbia, SC; fundraiser for Tom Davis. List your questions to ask, but can't promise I will get to ask much.

parocks
08-06-2012, 12:53 AM
I think he will get to speak, a vp nomination shouldn't be a problem under the current rules.

He may not accept, and I would understand.

I'm going to Hijack here a bit and share an idea. I'd rather not start a new thread yet because there is still a month until the convention.

We had a get together yesterday to raise money for one our delegates here and as I was going through my box of stuff I was wondering what I was going to do with all the balloons I had...:rolleyes:

I'm going to be at this big gathering next month and the thought of Balloons showering down from the upper levels of this gathering put a BIG smile on my face.:D

So my question is..........How many balloons can we get in and when should we all toss them about ?

It really seems like a no harm move that would get a lot of attention.:eek:

YOU HAVE A GOOD IDEA THERE. That's a project. Send your balloons to Tampa, get them in the hands of the delegates.

I've been, occasionally, proposing that we really should stop thinking about anything else, and think only about how we should be developing plans, sending kits with materials to Tampa. That could be the biggest advantage of Paul Fest. Things could be mailed there. And then picked up by someone. I envision a behive of activity.

But, more likely than not, nothing of the sort will happen. I could type this once, or 100 times, but we just don't have it right now. We never had our stuff together to really nail this.

sailingaway
08-06-2012, 12:55 AM
YOU HAVE A GOOD IDEA THERE. That's a project. Send your balloons to Tampa, get them in the hands of the delegates.

I've been, occasionally, proposing that we really should stop thinking about anything else, and think only about how we should be developing plans, sending kits with materials to Tampa. That could be the biggest advantage of Paul Fest. Things could be mailed there. And then picked up by someone. I envision a behive of activity.

But, more likely than not, nothing of the sort will happen. I could type this once, or 100 times, but we just don't have it right now. We never had our stuff together to really nail this.

I believe the Goldwater people wore tshirts under their clothes, ready to take off their outer shirts if they needed a silent but obvious show of presence (as if the mics were turned off as some were in 2008)