PDA

View Full Version : How Can We Get Book Stores to Stock and Advertise Ron Paul's Book?

free.alive
11-17-2007, 02:06 PM
I was in Borders yesterday and looked around. I saw no book from Ron Paul being advertised, nor any other presidential candidates for that matter. I asked about this at customer service. "A Foreign Policy of Freedom" is roughly in the top 20 on Amazon. I told the customer service people that and asked how a customers can get Borders to carry an item, and wondered why they wouldn't stock or advertise an item that's doing so well on Amazon. I got blank stares.

So the task is up to us. The question is, how can we get this done?

awigo50
11-17-2007, 02:16 PM
You'll probably have better luck at a privately owned book store. I doubt borders will change their selection due to a couple of complaints. They probably have some complex algoritm marketing strategy - and they're probably stuck to that.

dircha
11-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Where did you get the top 20 figure?

Amazon says the book ranks #683 in Books:
http://www.amazon.com/Foreign-Policy-Freedom-Commerce-Friendship/dp/0912453001

DrRich
11-17-2007, 02:48 PM
in my younger days, i used to work at a college book store.

Unless the books are NYT top 25 bestseller list, the stores will not stock them.

Books like RPs will have to be special ordered.
If his sales go way up and make it to the top 25 or top 10 list, then they will stock them.
i hope this helps.

Highmesa
11-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Yeah, good luck getting Borders or Barnes and Noble to put it on the racks. You can probably order one through them, but that's it.

I put this in another thread, but what I started doing is taking RP business cards with me into the big box bookstores and leaving them as bookmarks in the lame books of other candidates.

If people are picking up political books, they should at least get a dose of a real author/candidate.

hillertexas
11-17-2007, 02:50 PM
My mom got Borders to stock the book in Illinois. Just ask them to order some. If they say "no", ask to speak to someone else. The Borders employees in Illinois were happy to order the book.

quickmike
11-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Its just like anything else. If people are asking for it and there is a demand, they will stock it. If they get enough people asking them to order it for them, they will probably stock it. Unless they have some kind of indicator of it being a popular selling book, they cant really justify stocking something that might not sell and have to take a percentage cut on anything they return(lost profits), either that or stick it in the bargain bin for an even bigger loss. So unless its something thats on the best seller list, they have no way of knowing it is a book that people want unless we all ask for it.

cien750hp
11-17-2007, 03:31 PM
i found it at barnes and noble. there were only two copies though, and it was in a section. you just have to look for it. I think it was in the current events section, but then there was a table sitting out with all these political books from the candidates and on the government these days, but not Ron Pauls book, so don't always assume just because its not out on a big display it isn't there. Or better yet, order it from the official store so the campaign gets money out of the sale :)

ItDoesNotStopWithRonPaul
11-17-2007, 04:10 PM
i found it at barnes and noble. there were only two copies though, and it was in a section. you just have to look for it. I think it was in the current events section, but then there was a table sitting out with all these political books from the candidates and on the government these days, but not Ron Pauls book, so don't always assume just because its not out on a big display it isn't there. Or better yet, order it from the official store so the campaign gets money out of the sale :)

I would take a bunch of his books and MOVE THEM to the best-seller table.

Shouldn't we contact the publisher to get a nice display for it? Imagine a Ron Paul stand-up cut-out that looked like the good Doctor. A lot of these marketing things are all about perception. If people think it is a best seller then they will want to grab it, and if there is such a nice display for it it will sell better.

How could we get the publisher to come up with a nice display?