PDA

View Full Version : Local Election question : How to get people to vote on logic, not 'gut'?

kpitcher
07-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Anyone up to giving last minute election suggestions? Election is Aug 7

First a little bit of history :
Last year there was a recall in my township. 3 out of 5 township board members were recalled, 2 stayed in by around 10 votes. (1500 registered voters, 900 voted) The main issue was a change in ambulance service from our local service we'd used for 50 years, now a paramedic unit staffed 24/7, to an out of town alternative. No change in cost, just change in service. Other issues were the board was a "good old boy" club who always voted unanimously after talking things over ahead of time.

The recall election had 1 person who was in favor of the old board, and 2 new comers who are taking things factually and logically.
The new board was seated in November. First order of business, new supervisor (a good guy) pulled out a hundred pages of GPS tracking from new ambulance company showing there was no ambulance in our township, in breach of our contract. Proof new ambulance company is as bad as people claimed to the old board. But township now has no alternative ambulance service other than to pay twice as much for another service, as old ambulance was closed down. So nothing they can do about it. Oh and new ambulance company turned of GPS access.

Well it's election time again. The past supervisor, who was recalled last year, is running again, as it will be a year after his recall. Last time the vote was very close, he was recalled by 20 votes, and he's working hard to be put back in. He's using his 'Years of experience, you know me, I'm your buddy' style of campaigning. The old board, and their various friends, have been waiting for this and are all working hard.

So my question is : What's the best way to make sure we don't get the old board back? I've never seen so many political yard signs. However the old guys have more farmer friends so long stretches of highways are blanketed with their signs. I know the good guys have been getting out, speaking to individuals, explaining why the old board being back in power would be bad, etc. I know some people behind the recall will be doing a mailing soon to every registered voter to have people remember the reasons behind the recall. Also considering a robocall to registered voters.

But the fact is everyone knows these people in the area. I don't know if yard signs, mailings, calls, really changes the mind of small town politics. What is the most effective way to keep the people that supported the recall get out and vote? Any ideas on what actually changes the mind in small town politics?

liberty2897
07-20-2012, 10:37 PM
How to get people to vote on logic, not 'gut'?

Sorry for not being more constructive here, but I think most people in this forum are still looking for the answer to that question. I know I am. Most people are stupid. They have been made that way intentionally.

ghengis86
07-20-2012, 10:46 PM
You're asking the wrong question.

How do I become the people's gut instinct?

And if that doesn't work, hit them in the wallet.

heavenlyboy34
07-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Take this FWIW (I'm not an electoral politics fanboy or expert). To me, the worst thing about politics is how distant and cold politicians are. It really is Showbusiness for The Ugly to me. If you can deal with people one on one or in small groups, you'll probably fare better.

specsaregood
07-20-2012, 11:34 PM
You're asking the wrong question.
How do I become the people's gut instinct?

Indeed. On a related note, In many instances I'd rather hire somebody that is "hungry" than somebody that is better qualified but well fed and content.