PDA

View Full Version : House Agrees by 298-191 to cut $175 million from Afghan Infrastructure Fund

Spoa
07-19-2012, 07:17 AM
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2012/roll479.xml

While nobody wants Afghans to be living in shacks or dying on the streets...America must face the fact: we have no money. We are even debating in our country whether to steal from the hard-working citizens through taxes or let grandma be thrown off the cliffs. The Chinese should take a leadership role and help the Afghan people rebuild their infrastructure. This cut does not end all funding, but it will help reduce our deficit.

Special thanks to Rep. Cohen (D-TN) for sponsoring the amendment.

[Added: Please, please, please contact your representatives who voted yes on this amendment and encourage them to continue cutting spending today! There is an expectation that more spending cut amendments will be voted on today. The House leadership is smoking mad that this amendment passed and will be sure to be whipping representatives hard to oppose more spending cut amendments!]

The Goat
07-19-2012, 07:37 AM
$175 million? now they will act like they fixed the debt problem. XD

Okie RP fan
07-19-2012, 07:39 AM
I was watching CSPAN all last night while they were debating and voting on the "cuts."

Pretty much everything that was a supposed cut was voted down, during the time I was watching.

There was one proposal to cut $1.7 billion from something, and it was voted down.

Pretty typical. The Dems were saying it's time to end the wars, and the Republicans couldn't stick their heads further up the Pentagon's rear to see anything.

squirekyle
07-19-2012, 07:49 AM
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2012/roll479.xml

Special thanks to Rep. Cohen (D-TN) for sponsoring the amendment.

Rep. Steve Cohen is the most liberal rep. you can get, been in office for over 20 years... and to think we have him right here in the heart of one of the most republican states in the country. :mad:

ShaneEnochs
07-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Drop in the bucket.

_pauladin_
07-19-2012, 07:54 AM
It's a start, but... only $175 million? Is that even 1% of what we're paying over there?

Spoa
07-19-2012, 08:21 AM
I was watching CSPAN all last night while they were debating and voting on the "cuts."

Pretty much everything that was a supposed cut was voted down, during the time I was watching.

There was one proposal to cut $1.7 billion from something, and it was voted down.

Pretty typical. The Dems were saying it's time to end the wars, and the Republicans couldn't stick their heads further up the Pentagon's rear to see anything.

I want to remind you that the only Republicans allowed to speak are those who agree with the leadership. People like Reps. Amash and McClintock are banned from speaking on this amendment unless the leadership allows them to.

Spoa
07-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Rep. Steve Cohen is the most liberal rep. you can get, been in office for over 20 years... and to think we have him right here in the heart of one of the most republican states in the country. :mad:

Agree. I don't like Cohen, I was simply giving him credit where credit is due. If he can be defeated one day, I would proudly help defeat him!

Spoa
07-19-2012, 08:23 AM
It's a start, but... only $175 million? Is that even 1% of what we're paying over there?

Small steps, but at least we are getting somewhere. Think about the Bush-Cheney years...would we have ever had 68 Republicans joining the Democrats to cut spending in foreign countries?

VanBummel
07-19-2012, 08:38 AM
$175 million? now they will act like they fixed the debt problem. XD
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SqhhJb_P3Kk/SGSTsOBUi0I/AAAAAAAABHw/KzIr_c0x7Fk/s400/that%2Bshould%2Bdo%2Bthe%2Btrick.jpg

sailingaway
07-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Drop in the bucket.

Yeah, but it is only because of Ron's run that we got that, instead of an increase, I'm betting.

squirekyle
07-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Agree. I don't like Cohen, I was simply giving him credit where credit is due. If he can be defeated one day, I would proudly help defeat him!

I know you don't, he's voted for some bad stuff. I just can't understand why he supported audit the fed last congress but he hasn't co-sponsored this time.

sailingaway
07-19-2012, 08:50 AM
I know you don't, he's voted for some bad stuff. I just can't understand why he supported audit the fed last congress but he hasn't co-sponsored this time.

Was he one of the ones who sponsored but didn't vote for it? There were some who were just using sponsorship for bragging rights but caved under administration pressure.