PDA

View Full Version : I'm Finally Leaving America's Crazed Police State

donnay
07-18-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm Finally Leaving America's Crazed Police State

David Seaman
Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/why-im-leaving-americas-crazed-police-state-2012-7)
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:35 CDT

http://www.sott.net/image/image/s1/36989/medium/policestate.jpg
© benfrank.net

Dudes, I'm done with this. I'm leaving the United States today, and won't be back for a while. I recently visited my childhood hometown and noticed a whole bunch of brand new surveillance cameras at nearly every intersection and street corner; this is just a town, mind you, not some city of national or international significance.

After doing some research, it turns out the cameras are "high-definition" 24/7 surveillance cameras, manufactured and operated by Sprint Nextel Corp, and paid for through federal Department of Homeland Security grants to the town's local police department.

In fact, the number of these cameras in my hometown has reportedly tripled over the past couple years. There are as many as six of them at each intersection, they aren't red light traffic cameras (topic for another article altogether, though). Here's a photo (https://twitter.com/d_seaman/status/225200545726611456) I took of the cameras.

Do you really think these are there to make your 10 minute drive to the Applebee's safe from terrorists? Do you?

On another note, I was recently at a ball game: they now ask you to rise twice to sing the national anthem and pledge your allegiance. As a child, I only remember this occurring once, normally at the start of the game.

It was recently revealed that the NSA, according to a former high-ranking official there, is building "dossiers" on MILLIONS of American citizens and may be routinely spying on countless Americans on U.S. soil, in clear violation of our laws and principles as a nation.

Moving on... The New York Times recently claimed: "Cellphone carriers reported that they responded to a startling 1.3 million demands for subscriber information last year from law enforcement agencies seeking text messages, caller locations and other information in the course of investigations."

That's just last year. And that number is quite conservative, as it does not include shadow wiretapping programs such as the NSA's project(s).

Is it paranoid to think you're being watched.... when you are actually being watched?

America has turned into a full-blown police state. Our economy is sick, and politicians refuse to fix it, choosing instead to fund outrageous, scary, illegal programs which violate our rights and our privacy. Ironically, one of the few sectors where recent grads are finding work is in law enforcement and government-sponsored surveillance.

All of these things would be bad, but I would still have hope if Americans were getting outraged -- if they were demanding answers and asking for a rollback of the new surveillance cameras, the warrantless wiretapping programs, the new invasive TSA procedures, etc.

But they aren't. Most people I talk to just don't care, and they think I'm some kind of weirdo for interrupting them from their reality TV and 40-ounce high-fructose corn syrup soda. It's the apathy and indifference that scares me more than any headline about the government watching us.

I don't see a bright future for us unless we begin to care, and begin to demand accountability. In the history of the world, the combination of a) totalitarian police state b) rapid rollback of civil rights c) blind nationalistic pride and d) a public that doesn't care has NEVER led to improvements in the quality of life. Instead, it normally leads to mass injustice and misery.

I hope people begin to speak up. I hope they email and call their Senators. I hope they share articles like this one with their friends, since the establishment broadcast media refuses to cover the police state's rapid growth -- maybe they are in on it, or maybe (more likely) they realize that viewers want Kim Kardashian segments, not NSA whistleblowers like William Binney.

Sad, but true.

Anti Federalist
07-18-2012, 11:16 PM
After doing some research, it turns out the cameras are "high-definition" 24/7 surveillance cameras, manufactured and operated by Sprint Nextel Corp, and paid for through federal Department of Homeland Security grants to the town's local police department.

Yet another nexus point of the corpo/government facist state.

sailingaway
07-19-2012, 12:01 AM
He's quite the active tweeter against NDAA etc.

Reason
07-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Some of us are awake.

PierzStyx
07-19-2012, 02:22 AM
But exactly where are you going that you expect more freedom? If its to another First World nation you're just trading police states.

anaconda
07-19-2012, 04:14 AM

anaconda
07-19-2012, 04:29 AM

anaconda
07-19-2012, 04:30 AM
Apparently there's actually less rule of law in most counties. And I hope you're not headed to the U.K. where there's a super high concentration of surveillance cameras. Would be interested to know what country you selected, if you can say.

There was a good article posted on the forums a while back but I can't find it now. It was by a guy who had left the US and lived in several countries and pointed out how they were actually all less free than the US. Maybe somebody else here can come up with it.

moostraks
07-19-2012, 06:45 AM
To those who ask where is the author going, maybe it matters not so much where they are going but that they leave? At least in trying to control its citizens the distance makes things slightly more difficult than those of us who remain because we believe that as bad as it is here everywhere else is worse. I think of the government as an abusive spouse relationship with regards to its citizens. The abusive spouse might still control your actions if you run, but it is not nearly as satisfying or as easy for them to do so...( and there is that issue of how much it will cost them to actually get that tax money from you to support their surveillance addiction esp. when you are a nomad!)

Czolgosz
07-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Read the DoI if you'd like more insight into the matter.

row333au
07-19-2012, 07:58 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/549733_10151029917841543_1522311773_n.jpg

Pericles
07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Apparently there's actually less rule of law in most counties. And I hope you're not headed to the U.K. where there's a super high concentration of surveillance cameras. Would be interested to know what country you selected, if you can say.

There was a good article posted on the forums a while back but I can't find it now. It was by a guy who had left the US and lived in several countries and pointed out how they were actually all less free than the US. Maybe somebody else here can come up with it.

That - the fight is in the US. If we can't turn the tide here, where there is at least still a pretense that citizens have unalienable rights, it is all over.

donnay
07-19-2012, 08:07 AM

Unless he decides to live a fairly primitive lifestyle, in places like Panama or somewhere in south America. I know some Americans who have made that choice and seem to be happy with that decision. Jesse Ventura, for instance, lives in Baja, Mexico off the grid--no electricity and no pavement.

I truly believe we have to leave a good portion of the technology, that will eventually enslave us--it can be done here in America, if you do it right.

July
07-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Woke up this morning to this lovely story...

Boston's status as top terror target helps get T cameras (http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/19058837/2012/07/18/t-cameras-paid-for-with-homeland-security-money)

There's a lot of grant money involved in all this, from DHS, so it's a no brainer that surveillance cameras are going to spread wherever the flow of money goes.

Pericles
07-19-2012, 08:33 AM

Boston's status as top terror target helps get T cameras (http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/19058837/2012/07/18/t-cameras-paid-for-with-homeland-security-money)

There's a lot of grant money involved in all this, from DHS, so it's a no brainer that surveillance cameras are going to spread wherever the flow of money goes.

Looks like a target for a low velocity .22LR round to me. Just sayin'.

romancito
07-19-2012, 08:42 AM
To those who ask where is the author going, maybe it matters not so much where they are going but that they leave? At least in trying to control its citizens the distance makes things slightly more difficult than those of us who remain because we believe that as bad as it is here everywhere else is worse. I think of the government as an abusive spouse relationship with regards to its citizens. The abusive spouse might still control your actions if you run, but it is not nearly as satisfying or as easy for them to do so...( and there is that issue of how much it will cost them to actually get that tax money from you to support their surveillance addiction esp. when you are a nomad!)

That is correct.

The cameras are one very in your face point of the government owning you. Owning the citizens is what government is all about now. Police acts as owners of the whole place. Homeland Security also acts as owners. We belong to them. The idea for the young people is to get a job with the government so that they can enter that class of being the owners of everyone else. Then there are the rest of those who like being owned by them because it gives them security and satisfaction of belonging to someone.

What is the largest growth in college campus? Degrees in law enforcement and criminology, etc. Once young people take these courses, they look for opportunities in ownership. Owning property or homes is not what's in. Owning people as law enforcement and government officers is what's in. This is a government owned country now. That's why Romney is so desperate to own it.

romancito
07-19-2012, 08:45 AM

And the thing is this is being done with newly printed money. Our Congress people don't need us anymore. The Treasury prints all the money they need to own its citizens.

Kelly.
07-19-2012, 08:55 AM
someone should be shooting these cameras so they no longer work.

Carlybee
07-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Someone should be following the money trail and see who in gov't or congress has ties to the companies making these cameras and go viral with it. Then find out if it is even constitutional for the DHS to give grants for it. Same crap that is funding domestic drones. There has to be a loophole or at the very least a way to shoot it down it the court of public opinion.

jmdrake
07-19-2012, 09:24 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/549733_10151029917841543_1522311773_n.jpg

Great photo!

Tudo
07-19-2012, 09:26 AM
I'd do the same if one country on earth ( in a warm climate ) had legal marijuana.

I lived overseas for several years ( in a communist country ) and yes I agree with you that this place is FUBAR however my advice to you is don't burn any bridges leaving.

Tudo
07-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Some of us are awake.

Yeah? A verrrry verrrry small percentage. Infinitesimal.

And contrary to the new wave of thinking, losing isn't winning. Losing is still losing. Denial is still denial.

Rothbardian Girl
07-19-2012, 09:32 AM
I'd do the same if one country on earth ( in a warm climate ) had legal marijuana.

I lived overseas for several years ( in a communist country ) and yes I agree with you that this place is FUBAR however my advice to you is don't burn any bridges leaving.
Cambodia is quite lax with its marijuana prohibition laws (it is technically illegal but never enforced from what I understand), and of course you can't get a much warmer climate than that. Depends on how "Third World" you're willing to go, though. They also had "happy pizza" (http://thehappypill.wordpress.com/whats-a-happy-pizza/), but it looks like their government is starting to crack down on it being sold in public.

jay_dub
07-19-2012, 09:57 AM
If We, The People were to demand a balanced budget from our Government much of the police state, along with our foreign intervention, would wither and die. The bullying of the world and the abuses heaped on us here at home are financed with borrowed money.

July
07-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Someone should be following the money trail and see who in gov't or congress has ties to the companies making these cameras and go viral with it. Then find out if it is even constitutional for the DHS to give grants for it. Same crap that is funding domestic drones. There has to be a loophole or at the very least a way to shoot it down it the court of public opinion.

Yup. It was passed in the Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007....which amended the Homeland Security Act of 2002, to set it up so DHS could award grant programs through FEMA.

Tudo
07-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Cambodia is quite lax with its marijuana prohibition laws (it is technically illegal but never enforced from what I understand), and of course you can't get a much warmer climate than that. Depends on how "Third World" you're willing to go, though. They also had "happy pizza" (http://thehappypill.wordpress.com/whats-a-happy-pizza/), but it looks like their government is starting to crack down on it being sold in public.

You can depending on your demeanor and who you know find much more freedom in a communist 4th world country in certain things sometimes than you can in the land of the free. I can LEGALLY do anything I want with it in Vietnam because of my relations there but that doesn't make it legal. When I say legal I mean legal. I don't mean able to get away with it this time or for a while. I'm very familiar with SE Asia, lived there for years and own a business in Vietnam. It ain't legal.

I'll make an investment in california real estate and relocate the business there from Fla ( looking )because of this crap. But I wouldn't take that shot in Asia even with connections. No way. When I was much younger I probably would have done that but pushing 60 in chronic pain with already being the recipient of a failed open heart surgery? No way.

georgiaboy
07-19-2012, 11:18 AM
quitter.

Tinnuhana
07-19-2012, 11:51 AM
I heard Costa Rica was a nice destination.

Rothbardian Girl
07-19-2012, 11:52 AM
You can depending on your demeanor and who you know find much more freedom in a communist 4th world country in certain things sometimes than you can in the land of the free. I can LEGALLY do anything I want with it in Vietnam because of my relations there but that doesn't make it legal. When I say legal I mean legal. I don't mean able to get away with it this time or for a while. I'm very familiar with SE Asia, lived there for years and own a business in Vietnam. It ain't legal.

I'll make an investment in california real estate and relocate the business there from Fla ( looking )because of this crap. But I wouldn't take that shot in Asia even with connections. No way. When I was much younger I probably would have done that but pushing 60 in chronic pain with already being the recipient of a failed open heart surgery? No way.

Good points. In that case, you're right - there don't seem to be many options available. I did a bit more digging, and it looked like Peru was the only country that has at least a certain amount legal for possession... looks like you can get away with eight grams or so. This is surprising to me - I would have thought cannabis would be legal in at least a few other countries. Good luck with your search.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Good points. In that case, you're right - there don't seem to be many options available. I did a bit more digging, and it looked like Peru was the only country that has at least a certain amount legal for possession... looks like you can get away with eight grams or so. This is surprising to me - I would have thought cannabis would be legal in at least a few other countries. Good luck with your search.

Portugal has no drug laws (at least insofar as you understand them here), and the same can be said for the territory known as Somalia (including Somaliland). I'm sure there are many other countries as well. Also, if you are making your decision where to move based on primarily whether marijuana is legal or not....well, your choice, but it seems quite myopic. Don't mind bein' a serf long as I have my marijuana! :>

Tudo
07-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Portugal has no drug laws (at least insofar as you understand them here), and the same can be said for the territory known as Somalia (including Somaliland). I'm sure there are many other countries as well. Also, if you are making your decision where to move based on primarily whether marijuana is legal or not....well, your choice, but it seems quite myopic. Don't mind bein' a serf long as I have my marijuana! :>

Not primarily but certainly a part of it and I sure hope you never have to understand.

GeorgiaAvenger
07-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Compared to most countries, we are much, much freer and have more protections, though they are being eroded.

Tudo
07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Oops wiped out

playboymommy
07-19-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm so tired of you, America...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtVyl402W5s

anaconda
07-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Unless he decides to live a fairly primitive lifestyle, in places like Panama or somewhere in south America. I know some Americans who have made that choice and seem to be happy with that decision. Jesse Ventura, for instance, lives in Baja, Mexico off the grid--no electricity and no pavement.

I truly believe we have to leave a good portion of the technology, that will eventually enslave us--it can be done here in America, if you do it right.

I worked with a girl that recently moved to Brazil. She's having a blast. But it's a fairly developed area. She just signed up to run in some 10K race there.

anaconda
07-19-2012, 04:06 PM
someone should be shooting these cameras so they no longer work.

But do it off camera.

anaconda
07-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Hey can anyone find that thread from a year or two ago about the young man who left the U.S., lived in a number of countries, but then returned I believe and wrote an article about the downside of the places he had lived? I try again to find it.

GeorgiaAvenger
07-19-2012, 04:08 PM
But do it off camera.

Yeah, behind it

anaconda
07-19-2012, 04:30 PM
If We, The People were to demand a balanced budget from our Government much of the police state, along with our foreign intervention, would wither and die. The bullying of the world and the abuses heaped on us here at home are financed with borrowed money.

What an uncanny coincidence that the politicians won't balance the budget...

row333au
07-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Yeah? A verrrry verrrry small percentage. Infinitesimal.

And contrary to the new wave of thinking, losing isn't winning. Losing is still losing. Denial is still denial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OpgiNEyBVA&feature=youtu.be

anaconda
07-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Hey can anyone find that thread from a year or two ago about the young man who left the U.S., lived in a number of countries, but then returned I believe and wrote an article about the downside of the places he had lived? I try again to find it.

Update: My g/f found the article: donnay I'd like to know your thoughts on this..

http://www.naturalnews.com/034404_preppers_collapse_bugging_out.html

anaconda
07-19-2012, 09:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OpgiNEyBVA&feature=youtu.be

It's an arguably rational choice for this man to not be critical of the government. The government will never assassinate or detain him and he'll save thousands of hours of time by not educating himself on politics.

kuckfeynes
07-19-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm right behind you. Just gonna ride it out a little longer, save up a little more, but in case I ever feel the need to move quickly the plans are there. First-world country barely means anything anymore other than an exceptionally potent concentration of tyranny. Of course no country is perfect, every one has its problems, but there are plenty of extremely livable places on this earth where you will find much more freedom than within these borders.

shane77m
07-19-2012, 09:23 PM
We shouldn't have to leave the country. The Constitution burning scumbags should.

PaulConventionWV
07-19-2012, 09:29 PM
I worked with a girl that recently moved to Brazil. She's having a blast. But it's a fairly developed area. She just signed up to run in some 10K race there.

Wow, that sounds like something you could never do in America...

Keith and stuff
07-19-2012, 09:34 PM

Absolutely it can be done in America :) I know a free state who lives in Whitefield, NH off the grid. Heck, it isn't uncommon for people in the very low property tax or property tax free parts of Coos County, NH to be off the grid.

I know a free state family in Winchester that built their house. They didn't ask the town permission but eventually the town left them alone. They have their own water, sewer and the only heat source is a wood stove in their living room. There house is an inexpensive house. They made sure of it. The outside was never finished. It still has the common NH small town outside wall insulation look, like it is missing brick or siding.
http://www.tekterior.com/images/siteLibrary/12220110830535pmSteel%20Stud%20(MAIN).jpg

donnay
07-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Absolutely it can be done in America :) I know a free state who lives in Whitefield, NH off the grid. Heck, it isn't uncommon for people in the very low property tax or property tax free parts of Coos County, NH to be off the grid.

I know a free state family in Winchester that built their house. They didn't ask the town permission but eventually the town left them alone. They have their own water, sewer and the only heat source is a wood stove in their living room. There house is an inexpensive house. They made sure of it. The outside was never finished. It still has the common NH small town outside wall insulation look, like it is missing brick or siding.
http://www.tekterior.com/images/siteLibrary/12220110830535pmSteel%20Stud%20(MAIN).jpg

I am not totally off the grid, but I am working on it. :) NH is definitely the place that it can be done, no doubt.

rockerrockstar
07-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Wonder what country he going to move to?

The Free Hornet
07-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Update: My g/f found the article: donnay I'd like to know your thoughts on this..

This is where the article was posted here and Donnay's thoughts are in post #15 and others.
Should-you-leave-the-USA-before-the-collapse-Words-of-wisdom-from-someone-who-tried

My word of wisdom is this: to search RP Forums, goto Google and add "site:ronpaulforums.com" to the end of your search terms. I found the above page as the #2 result using "south america texas site:ronpaulforums.com".

donnay
07-19-2012, 09:56 PM

Great article and sage advice, IMHO.

anaconda
07-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Wow, that sounds like something you could never do in America...

My point was that, despite moving to another country, she is apparently not feeling like she's in a third world country, nor is she unable to participate in activities that she finds familiar. Your comment, therefore, seems to reaffirm my point.

anaconda
07-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Great article and sage advice, IMHO.

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for taking a look.

anaconda
07-19-2012, 10:23 PM
This is where the article was posted here and Donnay's thoughts are in post #15 and others.
Should-you-leave-the-USA-before-the-collapse-Words-of-wisdom-from-someone-who-tried

My word of wisdom is this: to search RP Forums, goto Google and add "site:ronpaulforums.com" to the end of your search terms. I found the above page as the #2 result using "south america texas site:ronpaulforums.com".

Thank you!

blustreeak
07-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Weed is legal in the Czech Republic for regular use.