PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Roundup (11-17-07)

RSDavis
11-17-2007, 11:38 AM
http://laceylibertarian.us/wp-images/rPaulRev.jpg

Ron Paul Roundup (11-17-07)
by RS Davis (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=194780914&blogID=329438583&Mytoken=9BB68C63-A086-4FCF-A27BDAB07A5B2AF831660063)

Hello Freedomphiles! So, The Washington Post is talking about the Liberty Dollar Raid. Here's what they are saying (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/11/16/post_203.html?hpid=topnews)about the justification for the raid:

In the affidavit, an FBI special agent states that he is investigating NORFED for federal violations including "uttering coins of gold, silver, or other metal," "making or possessing likeness of coins," mail fraud, wire fraud, money laundering and conspiracy. "The goal of NORFED is to undermine the United States government's financial systems by the issuance of a non-governmental competing currency for the purpose of repealing the Federal Reserve and Internal Revenue Code," he states.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/11/16/PH2007111601160.jpg

Wow. This isn't a counterfietting charge at all. It sounds like they are laying the groundwork for a charge of treason, doesn't it? This is being framed like they are trying to take down the government. I'd be pissing my pants right now if I were those guys. We need to remain vigilant on this. We cannot let them get railroaded on this.

But moving on, the University of Pacific has a paper called The Pacifican, and columnist Ben Dunphy is writing (http://www.thepacificanonline.com/content/view/1052/2/) about Dr Paul:

Dr. Paul is the only candidate that uses rational arguments rather than populism to gain supporters. And he is becoming more and more well known. His name is consistently rated by Technorati.com, a blog-searching database, as the number one searched topic. He recently raised $4.2 million in a single day, second only to Senator Clinton for single day earnings. Yet he is largely ignored by the mainstream media, which is why you may not have heard of him. There is so much more to tell, but this column has exhausted its limit. If you would like to know more, GOOGLE RON PAUL!

Good job, kid. Let's make him the most popular writer at The Pacifican by bombing him with praise in the comments section.

Speaking of college kids, CBSNews is writing (http://www.thepacificanonline.com/content/view/1052/2/) about Paul's support on college campuses and - more importantly - what this means for the future of the Ron Paul Revolution and the freedom movement in general:

College students have served as Paul's base of support, as evidenced by a contingent of Penn students who went to join a crowd of over 5,000 other supporters to cheer and chant their candidate's name at the Independence Mall rally, held on Saturday. Students at the rally said they were attracted to Paul's campaign because they believe the country has strayed too far from its founding principles.

College sophomore Michelle Potter, president of the group Penn Students for Ron Paul, said her group has drawn students of all political stripes, ranging from Libertarians to Democrats. And likely as a result of Paul's popularity, libertarianism is also seeing a resurgence on college campuses.

"There are people who call themselves a Democrat or a Republican just because they don't really know what's out there," Potter said. "Until it's been presented to them as a candidate, it's never been an option."

Several Libertarian student groups have sprung up on campuses over the past few years. Penn, Drexel, Temple, Harvard and Columbia universities, among others, all have newly formed libertarian groups. There is also a libertarian conference being held for college students at Columbia this spring.

"When I first got to Penn, I was surprised that there wasn't any type of libertarian group," said Penn Libertarians President and College senior Alex McCobin. "I got the idea, hey, if no one else is, why don't I step up and do something?"

The group was founded in spring 2006, and now has about 150 students on its listserv.

Nationally, libertarian viewpoints also seem to be gaining supporters. According to Gallup poll results analyzed last fall by the Cato Institute, a Libertarian think-tank, about 10 to 15 percent of Americans gave answers to policy questions indicating they held libertarian beliefs.

"I'm actually a former Republican and about a year ago this time I was defecting from the Republican platform issue by issue, and I embraced libertarianism," said Ryan Kuchinskas, the president of the Temple Libertarians.

Monsters and Critics is talking (http://news.monstersandcritics.com/usa/news/article_1374304.php/Ron_Paul_smear_attempts_by_left_and_right_demonstr ate_growing_strength_of_Paul_campaign) about the recent smear campaign - you must've noticed that these Roundups are being dominated by them lately - and what it means for Ron Paul the candidate:

One astute political commentator - Justin Raimondo - notes on his Antiwar.com blog that it is a "myth that it's all online and not translatable into real people" and remarked that a rally in Philadelphia drew over 5000 people.

Raimondo noted that what is frustrating the far right and left is the plain fact that Dr. Paul attracts the religious and the atheist, the conservative and the libertarian, and he essentially poaches voters from traditionally Democratic, Independent and Republican voter "ponds."

With the accolades and growing presence of Dr. Paul supporters, the smear tactics and insinuations have steadily surfaced that Dr. Paul is supported by racist groups and that he would cause the country great harm by his sweeping reforms.

Raimondo noted on his blog that the noise heard from "antiwar Kevin Drum of the Washington Monthly and Matt Yglesias of The Atlantic, or from some neocon hack over at the Weekly Standard, the 'Ron-is-crazy' meme is being furiously pushed upstream against the raging current of the Paul phenomenon so far, to little avail."

The Weekly Standard labeled Dr. Ron Paul the "don't tase me, bro!" candidate according to Raimondo.

Now, CNN is in hot water. CNN and Glenn Beck recently aired an inflammatory and misleading segment comparing Ron Paul supporters to terrorists.

The result over Beck's commentary has already led to responses from the Ron Paul community, including a call to boycott CNN's sponsors.

So, the National Journal did an interview with Dr Paul, and they have a transcript (http://nationaljournal.com/onair/transcripts/071116_paul_ron.htm) online. Here's a sample question:

Q: You would -- talking about domestic policies now -- eliminate the income tax. How would you then pay for services that are provided by the government?

Paul: Well, most of the services and most of the expenditures of the government aren't strictly designated by the Constitution. So you want to wean the government, wean the people off from this dependency, because it has led to overdependency, not self-reliance, and a bankruptcy. And that's why our dollar is on the ropes, because we can't afford it. So we just print the money, and we overtax, and we overborrow, and then overprint, and this has led to a very serious situation. And we can't turn that off immediately, and I realize that. And if you just got rid of the income tax tomorrow, it would just make the deficit that much worse, and then they'd print more money. So you'd have to get a consensus of people saying you have to cut the spending.

But my approach is to reverse the trend. If you get to reverse the trend, it would restore some confidence to the markets and I would start with foreign policy. I wouldn't start with any domestic program, where people become dependent. The elderly who have been promised to be taken care of -- although that was maybe not the best way to do it -- you don't start with them. You take care of them. And the only way you can try to fulfill those promises is to stop spending overseas to the tune of not a couple billion -- hundreds of billions of dollars you could save. You could help those who are dependent. You don't have to throw anybody out on the streets. At the same time, you can get young people out of the system and work toward the day where you absolutely don't need an income tax. Most of our history we didn't have an income tax.

And finally, the Blogger News Network is having a contest (http://www.bloggernews.net/111746). Here are the rules:

CNN has requested for the campaign to submit a 30 second ad to be used as a bumper when going in to commercial during the Nov 28 CNN/YouTube Debate. The national campaign has asked us, the Ron Paul Grassroots Supporters, to be the ones to develop the ad to be shown!
Please let everyone know as quickly as possible because we don't have much time! Here are the rules READ THESE VERY CAREFULLY:

1. Ad must be exactly 30 seconds; no more, no less.
2. Ad will be shown for the FIRST TIME EVER PUBLICLY during the debate. Any video uploaded to YouTube for public viewing or accidentally placed on the Internet will be disqualified.
3. Ad must be available in both NTSC-ready format (for TV viewing) and smaller YouTube-size for review.
4. NO copyright violations. Must use original music, video and images, or need to have permission. If permission received, documentation MUST be provided for review.
5. Ads will be sent to me no later than Friday, November 23 at 8:00 AM Eastern Time, no exceptions.
6. Upload the ad to YouTube in PRIVATE mode (make sure not to use public!), and share the ad with RonPaulAdCompetition *only*.

What happens after the ads are submitted?

* A group of marketing professionals will review the ads on Friday and narrow down to a group of 4-6.
* The final videos will be sent to the national campaign for their review on Saturday, November 24 at 12:00 AM (Midnight) Eastern Time.
* The national campaign will select one (1) video of the 4-6 finalists to send to CNN on Monday, November 26 at 5:00 PM Eastern Time.
* The selected ad will be shown during the CNN/YouTube debate on Nov. 28th!

Start rolling people it's time to make this happen! If you have questions email me at rp.ad.comp@gmail.com, or visit this Channel as updates occur.

I know some of you are pretty awesome at this, creating videos that are head and shoulders above the professional videos being used currently by the official campaign. I think they realize it, as well - thus the contest. Get to work!

http://www.brendangates.com/forumlogo.jpg

hawkeyenick
11-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Lawrence, Kansas had money called the "REAL Dollar" for awhile as well

Soccrmastr
11-17-2007, 09:25 PM
thanks for doing these daily reports, really like them.

gunjin22
11-18-2007, 03:38 AM
Appreciate the daily reports very much, keep them and the polls coming.