PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul doesn't believe his Audit The Fed bill will pass the Senate

tsai3904
07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78623.html

For retiring Texas Rep. Ron Paul, a House vote on his Audit the Fed bill next week will be a bittersweet tribute to the Republican’s decades-long fight to limit the size and power of the Federal Reserve.

The outspoken conservative Republican and tea party darling has for years blamed the central bank for many of the country’s fundamental economic problems. Throughout his congressional career, the former presidential candidate has championed measures to limit the Fed’s influence and increase its transparency.

After being approved in June by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Paul’s legislation is set to land on the House floor next week. And while Paul expects the measure to die in the Senate, despite having more than 270 co-sponsors, he said he is optimistic it will not be the death of his signature cause.

“I’m feeling good about it. I think we’re making progress, and the American people are very much aware of the interconnections of the Federal Reserve and the financial conditions of the country and the economic problems that we have,” Paul said in an interview with POLITICO.

Who will help to prove him wrong?

The first step is getting HR 459 passed in the House with as much support as we can get. The House will probably vote on HR 459 next week (July 23-26).

HR 459 has 270 cosponsors. Find out if your Representative is a cosponsor then call him.

Here's how to check if your Representative is a cosponsor:

1. Find out who your Rep is by entering your zip code here: http://house.gov/htbin/findrep?ZIP=
2. Check this list of cosponsors for your Rep's name: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?377679-H.R.-459-Audit-the-Fed-Co-Sponsors

If your Rep is a cosponsor, thank him for cosponsoring HR 459 and remind him that you will be watching how he votes.

If your Rep is not a cosponsor, urge him to cosponsor HR 459 and remind him that the bill has 270 bipartisan cosponsors.

After the bill passes the House, we will need to focus on getting the media (especially the liberal media) to report on this bill and focus on gathering support in the Senate.

Ron Paul first introduced his Audit The Fed bill in 1981 (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/97/hr2322).

The least we can do for him is make some phone calls.

Paulistinian
07-18-2012, 11:18 AM
My Senators, Boxer and Feinstein are tf the biggest crooks in the Senate. No amount of phone calls will sway those two.

tsai3904
07-18-2012, 11:25 AM
My Senators, Boxer and Feinstein are tf the biggest crooks in the Senate. No amount of phone calls will sway those two.

As I said in my last sentence:

The least we can do for Ron Paul is make some phone calls.

Also, Boxer cosponsored Audit the Fed in 2009.

ClydeCoulter
07-18-2012, 11:42 AM

tsai3904, thanks for you tireless effort to keep this issue at the top of the forum :)

Paulistinian
07-18-2012, 12:06 PM
I have called them. Another user posted Feinstein's position on Audit the Fed just days ago, they are Fed banker ppets plain and simple.

sailingaway
07-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Call and email anyhow. You are correct on Feinstein but Boxer was actually a SPONSOR Of the Senate version of Ron's bill last time, at least I know she was one of the ones who voted for it then voted against it after Sanders gave the senate cover by replacing the text of the bill.She has PROGRESSIVES pressuring her. Even if we don't prevail on them it is worth letting them know we know these things, and also it lets them know how much pressure their colleagues are under so if others vote favorably they aren't taking as big a risk, I hope.

They are my Senators again. I have already contacted their offices a couple of times but we need a push.

Speaking of progressives, has anyone posted this at Firedoglake? They look at the Fed audit as one of the successful Right/Left alliance things, and I think they would help. If no one is working that angle I will draft and post a diary/log (whatever they are called)

We HAVE the House, imho, we have to keep the pressure on, but it is the Senate where we need to make it unthinkable to vote against this.

Paulistinian
07-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Ok, Sailing... You've convinced me. Ill make the calls.

sailingaway
07-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Ok, Sailing... You've convinced me. Ill make the calls.

Thank you!

I'll start the post for Firedoglake when I next get a breather.

thatpeculiarcat
07-18-2012, 12:28 PM
The Congressmen in my area are Co-Sponsors of the bill, Lamar Smith (yuck) and Quico Canseco.

I know one of my Senators will definitely support the bill, Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

tsai3904
07-18-2012, 12:42 PM
I have called them. Another user posted Feinstein's position on Audit the Fed just days ago, they are Fed banker ppets plain and simple.

Calling the CA Senators isn't the only thing you can do.

You can find ways to get the liberal bloggers to report on this (we will need their pressure if we want this to pass).

You can write letters to the editor.

You can inform others that the bill will need a lot of support in the Senate to pass, thus encouraging them to contact their own Senators.

You can find out when the Senators will hold town halls (most likely in August during recess). If you attend a town hall and are able to ask a question, ask the audience how many of them would like a complete audit of the Federal Reserve. After everyone raises their hand, ask the Senator why she won't support the bill that would do so.

tsai3904
07-18-2012, 01:38 PM
I'll start the post for Firedoglake when I next get a breather.

Here's a letter Firedoglake signed onto in 2009:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/19/audit-the-fed-effort-wins_n_363410.html

tsai3904
07-18-2012, 01:39 PM
I know one of my Senators will definitely support the bill, Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

Try to get her to cosponsor Rand's bill, S. 202. Cornyn is a cosponsor but Hutchison hasn't signed on yet.

squirekyle
07-18-2012, 03:59 PM
tsai3904, thanks for you tireless effort to keep this issue at the top of the forum :)

Yes , thank you so much

Monotaur
07-18-2012, 07:27 PM

I'll echo others' sentiments too - thanks tsai3904! You've really helped keep this visible on the forums here.

I see all but one of the Congressman from my state are co-sponsors. I'll be sure to call mine again and just let him know how I feel and that I'll be watching his vote. I'll also give the one congressman in my state show is not a co-sponsor a call and let him know I live in an adjoining district and how I feel (being very polite). And then I'll call my senators (I have a feeling it will be an uphill battle with those two).

Anyway, this is indeed the very least we could do to help Ron. He has literally given decades of his life to this cause, and if all we have to do is spend 5-10 minutes on the phone (if that - one call shouldn't take more than a minute) to support his signature piece of legislation, then I'll do it. And I hope everyone else here does it too. From just the people on these forums we should be able to have a huge impact, just if people picked up the phone and called.

NoOneButPaul
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
This mans life and career just makes me want to keep fighting that much more...

phill4paul
07-18-2012, 08:12 PM
///

squirekyle
07-18-2012, 11:22 PM

sailingaway
07-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Call and email anyhow. You are correct on Feinstein but Boxer was actually a SPONSOR Of the Senate version of Ron's bill last time, at least I know she was one of the ones who voted for it then voted against it after Sanders gave the senate cover by replacing the text of the bill.She has PROGRESSIVES pressuring her. Even if we don't prevail on them it is worth letting them know we know these things, and also it lets them know how much pressure their colleagues are under so if others vote favorably they aren't taking as big a risk, I hope.

They are my Senators again. I have already contacted their offices a couple of times but we need a push.

Speaking of progressives, has anyone posted this at Firedoglake? They look at the Fed audit as one of the successful Right/Left alliance things, and I think they would help. If no one is working that angle I will draft and post a diary/log (whatever they are called)

We HAVE the House, imho, we have to keep the pressure on, but it is the Senate where we need to make it unthinkable to vote against this.

I didn't have much time today but I cranked this out rough, and will make it prettier, with the list tsai posted of members who sponsored HR 1207 but have NOT sponsored the Bill this go round. http://my.firedoglake.com/rp12/2012/07/18/audit-the-fed-action-alert-ron-pauls-full-audit-of-the-federal-reserve-hr-459-s-202-in-the-senate-will-be-up-for-vote-in-house-tuesday-july-24-it-needs-23-vote-to-pass-since-it-will-be-brought/

If you have a firedoglake account please 'recommend' it since the most 'recommended' posts show up on the front page.

FSP-Rebel
07-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Unfortunately for me, McCotter is out and won't be voting nor will we have a new rep seated til after Sept 5th. After all this time, I have no representation on this bill.