http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQ3_ZUF6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqBoPkOgzIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqBoPkOgzIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8Z-C3hyLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8Z-C3hyLE

Constitutional Paulicy
07-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Beat me to it. Was just about to post this. :)

jkr
07-18-2012, 10:11 AM
bUmp 4 L8r

tsai3904
07-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Added Part 3.

Paulistinian
07-18-2012, 10:21 AM
You guys are awesome. I'm at work and missed this. Thank you.

Nubraskan
07-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Probably my favorite part of Ron Paul being in congress. I'll miss this.

S.Shorland
07-18-2012, 11:21 AM
America = Pequod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLTlfljynV4

PaulStandsTall
07-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Very cool of Rep. Walter Jones to hand his time to Dr. Paul.

kathy88
07-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Can't watch at work. Is there a transcript anywhere?

tfurrh
07-18-2012, 11:51 AM
The middle vid was the best Paul v Bernanke vid since 'Is Gold Money.'

hazek
07-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Ron had such a beautiful opportunity every time he was questioning The Bernank to point out how silly the whole system is by simply asking some tough pointed questions such as:

Mr. chairman, please tell us what guides your decisions when it comes to monetary policy?

He predictably answers "our models blabla"

Mr. chairman do those model currently show any problems as a consequence of your actions or any possibility that your actions are a mistake?

He predictably answers "No"

Mr. chariman, how can you be sure you aren't wrong about that?

He predictably answers "because we're using sound models supported by good economic theory blablabla"

Mr. chairman, are these the same models you always used through your career?

He predictably answers "yes"

Mr. chairman have these models ever been shown to be at fault or to not allow you to predict a certain kind of an outcome?

He predictably answers "no"

Mr. chairman is it not true that in August 2007 you said and I quote "the subprime is contained and will not spread" and before tat in 06 you said numerous times that there is no housing bubble at all?

He answers "yes"

Mr. chairman I'm confused, you said you always used these models and that these models always showed you all possible outcomes never to have been shown wrong, how come did it turn out that you were DEAD WRONG in these statements and further more, if you were using the same models back then as you are now, how can we have ANY trust that you know what you're talking about?

BOOM HEADSHOT slam dunk game over. But noooo he goes and wastes 5min on the definition of the word deflation and inflation.

ClydeCoulter
07-18-2012, 12:25 PM
The definition of these words is of utmost importance (1984?). The definition of the words in the political and monetary realm is what has allowed much of what Amercians are confused on to happen. They use the words as people know or understand them, but manipulate it's implementation under the cover of secrecy or policy. How many times has the word "inflation" been modified in it's implementation of calculation for exposure to the average American? What's the "unemployment rate"?

edit: Bernanke knew exactly what Ron was talking about, with the definitions.

sailingaway
07-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Very cool of Rep. Walter Jones to hand his time to Dr. Paul.

I look forward to seeing it when I can!

And yes, that was very nice.

We do have to support Jones. He is a steady guy, and Ron's best friend on the Hill.

sailingaway
07-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Ron had such a beautiful opportunity every time he was questioning The Bernank to point out how silly the whole system is by simply asking some tough pointed questions such as:

Mr. chairman, please tell us what guides your decisions when it comes to monetary policy?

He predictably answers "our models blabla"

Mr. chairman do those model currently show any problems as a consequence of your actions or any possibility that your actions are a mistake?

He predictably answers "No"

Mr. chariman, how can you be sure you aren't wrong about that?

He predictably answers "because we're using sound models supported by good economic theory blablabla"

Mr. chairman, are these the same models you always used through your career?

He predictably answers "yes"

Mr. chairman have these models ever been shown to be at fault or to not allow you to predict a certain kind of an outcome?

He predictably answers "no"

Mr. chairman is it not true that in August 2007 you said and I quote "the subprime is contained and will not spread" and before tat in 06 you said numerous times that there is no housing bubble at all?

He answers "yes"

Mr. chairman I'm confused, you said you always used these models and that these models always showed you all possible outcomes never to have been shown wrong, how come did it turn out that you were DEAD WRONG in these statements and further more, if you were using the same models back then as you are now, how can we have ANY trust that you know what you're talking about?

BOOM HEADSHOT slam dunk game over. But noooo he goes and wastes 5min on the definition of the word deflation and inflation.

Except instead of the answers you give for Bernanke, he takes the very first one and talks through the rest of Ron's time.

hazek
07-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Oh please, it's not like he can't interrupt him, besides, didn't you see how he asked him if he would ever reconsider any of his notions, and Bernanke answered in short "yes, given good evidence" - this btw was a really good question, Ron just didn't have any good followups so he missed a good opportunity.

sailingaway
07-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Oh please, it's not like he can't interrupt him, besides, didn't you see how he asked him if he would ever reconsider any of his notions, and Bernanke answered in short "yes, given good evidence"
I'm not saying he couldn't have said something different, only that he usually CAN'T interrupt too much, all though he has started to, without looking bad, and Bernanke usually drones on on purpose, imho. Mostly I was saying that it is easy to decide things would go perfectly if an alternate line of questioning occurred when you aren't the one on the spot...

I haven't been able to watch it yet, I will later.

Natural Citizen
07-18-2012, 01:03 PM
The definition of these words is of utmost importance (1984?). The definition of the words in the political and monetary realm is what has allowed much of what Amercians are confused on to happen. They use the words as people know or understand them, but manipulate it's implementation under the cover of secrecy or policy. How many times has the word "inflation" been modified in it's implementation of calculation for exposure to the average American? What's the "unemployment rate"?

edit: Bernanke knew exactly what Ron was talking about, with the definitions.

That's one of the biggest things that has always irked me. After all, it's how the average citizen, whatever that is supposed to mean in itself, is fooled into using and passing around the term "croney capitalism"...among others. Why not just call it what it is and move on? After all, where exactly does spinning get you except right back where you started?

Language is very important in all of this. It really is. The difference between a straight line forward to some place else and a direct line back to the beginning of the circle where we started. I guess both could be considered "movement" in some manner but who is to dictate traffic? Does one choose to hop on the bus...that's already there waiting for them...enroute right back to the beginning of the circle to nowhere ( am reminded of the Mass. delegate vid for some reason) or do they pack a lunch and carpool in a different direction toward change? Paul is correct in that the transit should begin in congress.

Oh well. Hopefully some will at least take that logic from the statesmans last words on it. They must if they are to carry on.

febo
07-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Can I do a - Ron Paul needs to get to the point, he let Bernanke off the hook again - rant, just fer old times sake?

One of the questions I really want to see posed is to follow up on Bernanke's statement that having a Central bank to manage the economy gives better outcomes than having the Congress do it.
This echoes what Krugman said in his debate with RP - ie that you simply can't run an economy without the state.

I want them both to answer specifically why this is the case - why is the market information derived from the zillions of transactions in a free market less good than the so-called wisdom of a small secret group?

Other simple questions I'd like to hear Bernanke answer:
- Why is it right for the Fed to set interest rates?
- Why aren't fuel and food in the inflation calculation?

jj-
07-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Whatever happens, hazek complains. Nothing new.

Spoa
07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
I watched the full video on Rep. Paul's webpage. I was wondering why so few seats were taken. Where were the Democrats? Where were some of the Republicans? Why did I only see Reps. Paul, Luetkemeyer, Jones, and Schweikert. Unless I am mistaken, according to Wikipedia: there are 8 Republicans and 6 Democrats. That means 10 representatives didn't even attend the meeting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Financial_Services_Subcommitte e_on_Domestic_Monetary_Policy_and_Technology

Were they busy or did they just not want to attend since Rep. Paul was leading the meeting?

tsai3904
07-18-2012, 02:08 PM
I watched the full video on Rep. Paul's webpage. I was wondering why so few seats were taken. Where were the Democrats? Where were some of the Republicans? Why did I only see Reps. Paul, Luetkemeyer, Jones, and Schweikert. Unless I am mistaken, according to Wikipedia: there are 8 Republicans and 6 Democrats. That means 10 representatives didn't even attend the meeting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_Financial_Services_Subcommitte e_on_Domestic_Monetary_Policy_and_Technology

Were they busy or did they just not want to attend since Rep. Paul was leading the meeting?

The video on Paul's webpage isn't today's hearing.

In regards to your point, most members don't attend subcommittee hearings and if they do, they come in, ask their questions, then leave.

Reason
07-18-2012, 04:00 PM

leffewture
07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Thank you for posting, I was also at work. I wish I could've watched live.

Thank you to Walter Jones for yielding his time!

Ron was on fire today. These sessions are not long enough. Bernanke was giving very snotty short answers.

If inflation were measured by total M1.. It would show how out of hand it is getting.

Monotaur
07-18-2012, 07:21 PM
I haven't watched yet (and was at work today). I have been curious though to know how Bernanke acted at the end of his final grilling by Dr. Paul. Did he say anything like "It's been nice working with you congressman", or even just a death stare? I would love to know. :)

Carson
07-19-2012, 07:20 PM
I was able to catch some of this and hope to watch the rest later. I did see something near the end that gave me great hope. Ron Paul finished and everyone in the background looked at each other approvingly.

Time are a changing. The R3volution grow!