PDA

View Full Version : Iowans for tax relief in danger of losing tax emempt status

foraneagle2
06-20-2007, 08:04 PM
From link (http://iowansforronpaul2008.blogspot.com/2007/06/hitlary.html) (via link (http://upenn.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2229718737&topic=4840))

Iowa Dept. of Revenue
v. Ed Failor,
Iowans For Tax Relief, et al.

I was expecting this morning to get a meetup on the schedule and got hit with this news -
it will take a bit of time to catch up now - but I'll have something to send off to MSNBC's Chris Matthews now as well.

First, Ron Paul did just great - as usual - with the short 5 minutes with MSNBC's Chris Jansing yesterday about this time of day.

And Rudy Giuliani was in Des Moines today for a "Policy Address".

But most importantly, regarding the exclusion by Iowans For Tax Relief on June 30th -

I contacted the Iowa Republican Party to ask to talk to Chuck Laudner, Executive Director -
CLaudner@IowaGOP.org - who was in meeting but Eric Johansen explained that they could only contact this organization AFTER the event because they are a nonprofit.

But as a nonprofit they can NOT endorse political candidates under Iowa statutory law - so the Iowans For Tax Relief's exclusion of Ron Paul with the inclusion of Brownback, Gilmore, Huckabee, Romney, Tancredo, and T. Thompson - is in violation of Iowa nonprofit Code. They seem to also be forgetting Alexander Hamilton's words in Federalist Papers No. 83 in Muscatine and the construction of statutes - and the legal principle of exclusio alterius in particular here to the Revised Iowa Nonprofit Corporation Act - Chapter 504 of the Iowa Code.

I may try to get a copy of their Articles of Incorporation as public record but I truly do NOT see how they can get around the specific exclusion of Dr. Paul - it amounts to endorsing of a candidate - or specifically exclusion of an FEC filed candidate. I seriously doubt that they can try this without serious reprucussions to their nonprofit status - especially if Ron Paul WANTS to be included in their forum.

Dr. Paul did great on the Jon Stewart Show a few weeks back and also on the CSPAN coverage of his New Hampshire Public Radio - just fantastic, as well as yesterday on MSNBC's "Super Tuesday".

Keep up the great work everbuddy!

cc: contact/letter to :
David Casey
Compliance Division
Iowa Dept of Revenue
515/281-3254

Inform the compliance division of Failor's paypal fraud occurring through the website below - all the evidence needed Failor you moron - what's burning - sniff--sniff--- your toast Failor ! enjoy the forum !!!!!!

http://www.taxrelief.org/itr_pac_donation.htm

Seer
06-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Excellent. Are any of our excellent friends in the Ron Paul movement lawyers?

foraneagle2
06-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Use this story, and Failor's ties to McCain (see link (http://www.gwu.edu/~action/2008/mccain/mccainorgia.html))

and e-mail these Iowa newspapers:

__Dallas County News__
(888) 831-9417
__Albia Newspapers__
Dave Paxton
(641) 932-7121
dave@albianews.com
__Ames Tribune__
Dave Kraemer
(515) 232-2161 x340
dkraemer@amestrib.com
__Atlantic News Telegraph__
Jeff Lundquist
(800) 926-6397
news@ant-news.com
__Belle Plaine Union/South Benton Star-Press__
(319) 444-2520
bpunion@netins.net
__Belmond Independent__
(641) 444-3333
__Bloomfield Democrat__
(641) 664-2334
bdemo@netins.net
__Boone News Republican__
(888) 270-0090
news@newsrepublican.com
__The Hawk Eye__
(800) 397-1708
letters@thehawkeye.com
__Gazette Online__
Mark Bowden
mark.bowden@gazettecommunications.com
__Daily Iowegian__
Dan Ehl
(641) 856-6336
iowegianeditor@mchsi.com
__Charles City Press__
Mark Wicks
(641) 228-3211
editor@charlescitypress.com
__Cherokee Chronicle Times__
Ken Ross
(712) 225-5111
editor@ctimes.biz
__Clear Lake Mirror Reporter__
(641) 357-2131
clreport@netins.net
__The Clinton Herald__
dgosser@trcle.com
__SW Iowa News__
Marsha Hoffman
(712) 325-5730
mhoffman@nonpareilonline.com
__Cresco Times__
zach@crescotimes.com
__Creston News Advertiser__
Stephani Finley
(641) 782-2141
editor@crestonnews.com
__Quad Cities Online__
Jerry Taylor
(309) 757-4924
gjtaylor@qconline.com
__River Cities Reader__
Jeff Ignatius
(563) 324-0049 x208
jeff@rcreader.com
__Decorah Newspapers__
Rick Fromm
(563) 382-4221
fromm@decorahnewspapers.com
__Des Moines Register__
Carolyn Washburn
(515) 284-8502
cwashbur@dmreg.com
__Telegraph Herald__
Brian Cooper
(563) 588-5662
bcooper@wcinet.com
__Forest City Summit__
editor@forestcitysummit.com
__Britt News__
editor@brittnewstribune.com
__The Messenger__
Barbara Wallace Hughes
(800) 622-6613 x458
editor@messengernews.net
__Fort Madison Daily Democrat__
Robin Delaney
(800) 798-8819
editor@dailydem.com
__Harlan Tribune__
(800) 909-6397
news2@harlanonline.com
__Humboldt Independent__
(515) 332-2514
independent@humboldtnews.com
__Ida County Courier__
Beth Wolterman
(712) 364-3131
editor@idacountycourier.com
__Record-Herald/Indianola Tribune__
mrolands@dmreg.com
__Iowa City Press Citizen__
newsroom@press-citizen.com
__Times Citizen__
Kent Thompson
(800) 798-2691 x322
editor@iafalls.com
__Gate City Daily__
Steve Dunn
(800) 779-8819
dgceditor@dailygate.com
__Journal-Express__
Steven J Woodhouse
(641) 842-2155
jenews@iowatelecom.net
__Le Mars Daily Sentinel__
Earl Horlyk
(712) 546-7031 x19
dseditor@frontiernet.net
__Times-Republican__
Ken Larson
(641) 753-6611
news@timesrepublican.com, klarson@timesrepublican.com
__Globe Gazette__
Joe Buttweiler
(800) 421-0546
joe.buttweiler@globegazette.com
__Fairfield Ledger__
Vickie Tillis
(800) 369-0340
ffledger@lisco.com
__Washington Evening Journal__
Linda Wenger
(800) 369-0341
news@washjrnl.com
__Muscatine Journal__
Rusty Schrader
(800) 383-3198
news@muscatinejournal.com, rusty.schrader@muscatinejournal.com
__Newton Daily News__
Andy Karr
(641) 792-3121 x434
newsroom@newtondailynews.com, akarr@shawnews.com
__Osceola Sentinel-Tribune__
Gwen Tietgen
(641) 342-2131
ccpnews@osceolaiowa.com
__Oskaloosa Herald__
Duane Nollen
(641) 672-2581 x425
oskynews@oskyherald.com
__Ottumwa Courier__
Judy Krieger
(641) 683-5365
j.krieger@ottumwacourier.com
__Sigourney News-Review__
Robin Fisher
signred@lisco.com
__Sioux City Journal__
Larry Myhre
(712) 293-4201
larry.myhre@siouxcityjournal.com
__Villisca Review__
wordchick@villiscareview.com
__Waukon Standard__
Jeremy Troendle
(563) 568-3431
standardnews@netins.net
__Postville Herald-Leader__
Sharon Drahn
(563) 864-3333
postvillenews@netins.net
__Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier__
Saul Shapiro
(800) 798-1741
Saul.Shapiro@wcfcourier.com
__Daily Freeman-Journal__
Lori Berglund
(515) 832-4350
editor@freemanjournal.net
__Winterset Madisonian__
(515) 462-2101
editor@i-rule.net

angelatc
06-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Tax exempt status is granted by the IRS, not ny the states. Not saying I don't hink they're in violation, I am saying I think that the IRS is the entity that can yank the exemption.

PatriotOne
06-20-2007, 08:25 PM
We are the Champions, we are the Champions, no time for loser's because we are the champioooooooooooooons............................ ................of the world.

Right on Eagle 2!

dspectre
06-20-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't like to see people play dirty, but I don't like to watch people in a position to suffer either.

literatim
06-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Tax exempt status is granted by the IRS, not ny the states. Not saying I don't hink they're in violation, I am saying I think that the IRS is the entity that can yank the exemption.

There are State taxes and tax codes.

PatriotOne
06-20-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't like to see people play dirty, but I don't like to watch people in a position to suffer either.

I don't like to get dirty either, but when your wrestling with pigs you got to get dirty sometimes ;)

RPR-omaha
06-20-2007, 11:07 PM
I think this could be a big deal. He is after all and FEC filed canidate. I think it could be argued that they are endorsing anyone but Ron Paul. I am not sure if could be successful. The mere threat has a good chance to scare them.

amonasro
06-20-2007, 11:10 PM
WOW great news! Word travels fast in the RP world :)

Bradley in DC
06-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Unless they say, "Vote for McCrazy" or something to that effect, I don't see a violation. There are inviting several competing candidates so there isn't even an implied endorsement for one.

surf
06-20-2007, 11:20 PM
political parties are supposed to be non-profits, correct? yet political parties endorse candidates....
just a thought.

Bradley in DC
06-20-2007, 11:22 PM
political parties are supposed to be non-profits, correct? yet political parties endorse candidates....
just a thought.

Different sections of the tax code identify different types of non-profits with different kinds of rules: think tanks are 501(c)(3) organizations, lobby groups are 501(3)(4), and 527s (MoveOn.org), etc.

ADGettis
06-20-2007, 11:34 PM
I know this is an exciting opportunity, but is it really harmonious with our message of restoring private rights to turn the tax man on ITR?

Perhaps it is; I'm undecided. But it is something to think about.

jj111
06-20-2007, 11:38 PM
I have two problems with sicking the taxman on this organization:

1) Ends justify means? - can we justify sicking the IRS on anybody?

2) Practicality - the ITR is corrupt, and against RP; and the IRS is corrupt and against RP, so it seems that they have those two things in common, why would the IRS ever work against the ITR? I think it is pie in the sky thinking that you are going to get the IRS to do anything against ITR in the next 10 days. They might not do anything forever about this. Neither of the organizations likes RP. So I don't think it's practical to ask the tax enforcement bureacracy to help us with this matter.

jj111
06-20-2007, 11:39 PM
However, a good lawyer might make a legal case for an injunction against this forum. Or sue for fraud.

jj111
06-20-2007, 11:40 PM
By "this forum" I mean the candidate's forum in Iowa....

lucky
06-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Pretty thin evidence but does not hurt to seek more info from the proper authorities if excluding a candidate is an implied endorcement of the ones invited.

literatim
06-21-2007, 04:36 AM
I have two problems with sicking the taxman on this organization:

1) Ends justify means? - can we justify sicking the IRS on anybody?

2) Practicality - the ITR is corrupt, and against RP; and the IRS is corrupt and against RP, so it seems that they have those two things in common, why would the IRS ever work against the ITR? I think it is pie in the sky thinking that you are going to get the IRS to do anything against ITR in the next 10 days. They might not do anything forever about this. Neither of the organizations likes RP. So I don't think it's practical to ask the tax enforcement bureacracy to help us with this matter.

This has nothing to do with federal.

jj111
06-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Even if we are talking about state level tax authorities, I think we risk being seen as hypocritical if we ask the state to intervene to collect taxes on an organization. I think the voluntary free market of persuasion can work to achieve the goals we want.

If we want to expose this group for its questionable activities, there are plenty of ways to do this. They have discredited themselves, all we need to do is publicize it. This is IMHO, but if you want to do differently, you have the right to call whomever you want.

LibertyEagle
06-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Even if we are talking about state level tax authorities, I think we risk being seen as hypocritical if we ask the state to intervene to collect taxes on an organization. I think the voluntary free market of persuasion can work to achieve the goals we want.

If we want to expose this group for its questionable activities, there are plenty of ways to do this. They have discredited themselves, all we need to do is publicize it. This is IMHO, but if you want to do differently, you have the right to call whomever you want.

I agree. We need to stick to our principles.

beermotor
06-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Unless they say, "Vote for McCrazy" or something to that effect, I don't see a violation. There are inviting several competing candidates so there isn't even an implied endorsement for one.

Yeah, but they should at least send an invitation to all declared candidates.

That right there says "not enough due diligence" to me.

Bob Cochran
06-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Ed Failor sounded on the radio like such a spineless twit that the threat of the IT organization losing its tax-exempt status might scare him into rethinking his ill-conceived stance.

I say put some heat on.

CJLauderdale4
06-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Who do we call at the IRS in D.C. to report a tax-exempt status violation? Is there a hotline? Forgive me if I missed it...

Bradley in DC
06-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah, but they should at least send an invitation to all declared candidates.

That right there says "not enough due diligence" to me.

What they "should" do is up to the members, board and governing internal rules of their organizations. There isn't any "due diligence" standard here. The Mises Institute and many other libertarian 501(c)(3) organizations have been loudly and singularly promoting the "ideas" and positions of Dr. Paul (and only trashing those of other candidates) without "endorsing" his candidacy and staying within bounds.

This is a non-issue.

mdh
06-21-2007, 10:09 AM

This is akin to saying that we should all go smoke a joint in public because we don't like marijuana laws. We want to *change* the laws, not condone violations of them. In this case, he should be investigated by the state and federal revenue authorities, absolutely. If he doesn't like it, maybe he can help promote Dr. Paul's campaign and get the law changed. :)

CJLauderdale4
06-21-2007, 10:11 AM
This is akin to saying that we should all go smoke a joint in public because we don't like marijuana laws. We want to *change* the laws, not condone violations of them. In this case, he should be investigated by the state and federal revenue authorities, absolutely. If he doesn't like it, maybe he can help promote Dr. Paul's campaign and get the law changed. :)

Exactly! This is perfect. See, invite Ron Paul, help get him elected, and there will be no 501c tax law to worry about. Or, exclude him, live with your decision, and PAY TAXES!!

Oh wait, if there are no taxes to relieve, then....there's no need for a group called the Iowans for Tax Relief, and then...no job for The Failure....OH NO!!

hroos
06-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Now I see that this strategy will work best to fuel more TV time for Dr. Paul if we pursue this is in courts AFTER tomorrow's forum. First of all, Dr. Paul will make the ITR look like fools from the appearance of so many supporters tomorrow and then Monday morning we slap them with an official complaint. Going through the states is absolutely legitimate and I do not any see conflicts with this action and Dr. Paul's philosophy. Let's do it! This is for cheap media play after all absolutely!

I will be praying that someone in the campaign reads this and gets a lawyer tomorrow morning to file papers on Monday.

beermotor
06-28-2007, 04:02 PM
What they "should" do is up to the members, board and governing internal rules of their organizations. There isn't any "due diligence" standard here. The Mises Institute and many other libertarian 501(c)(3) organizations have been loudly and singularly promoting the "ideas" and positions of Dr. Paul (and only trashing those of other candidates) without "endorsing" his candidacy and staying within bounds.

This is a non-issue.

Eh, good point, heh. :o