PDA

View Full Version : 68 Year Old Car Buyer Mistaken as Terrorist

Marenco
07-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Car buyer mistaken as terrorist

By Mike Wagner
The Columbus Dispatch

Sandra Cortez went to buy a new car on her lunch break, and about an hour later, the Denver dealership staff was threatening to call the FBI to haul her away as a suspected terrorist.

The dealership's routine check of Cortez's credit report turned up something unusual on that day in 2005. It was an alert indicating that the woman was on a government list of suspected terrorists, international drug traffickers and others associated with weapons of mass destruction.

Cortez, now 68, was really just an accountant who wanted a new silver Subaru to better navigate the mountain roads she traveled to reach her favorite hiking trails.

The credit report Cortez had seen long before she walked into the dealership was clean. She had excellent credit, and she had no inkling that she was linked to a Colombian woman with a similar name wanted for drug trafficking. But like so many other consumers, Cortez didn't realize that the credit reports issued to businesses are not the same as those given to consumers.

For More: http://www.ajc.com/business/car-buyer-mistaken-as-1478371.html

Anti Federalist
07-17-2012, 11:15 PM
See Something, Say Something.

Lucky she didn't get a SWAT raid.

Give it time.

LibertyEagle
07-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Or a drone strike.

oyarde
07-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Uh , how many people in Columbia named Sanchez ???

thoughtomator
07-18-2012, 12:50 AM
If only she'd gone to buy a Volt...

Sullivan*
07-18-2012, 03:44 AM
If only she'd gone to buy a Volt...
BUT BUT BUT, I thought Subaru's are supposed to be ecofriendly TOOO?! ALL THE STARBUCKS BARISTA'S IN MY CITY DRIVE THEM SO THAT MAKES THEM BETTER.

Schifference
07-18-2012, 04:12 AM
No need to worry. I think I read that our trusted government will soon be overseeing the credit agencies.

phill4paul
07-18-2012, 05:58 AM
She should get her name changed to something more American and less exotic/foreign sounding. Something like Barack Hussein Obama II.

AGRP
07-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Another victory for the war on drugs!

seraphson
07-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Another victory for the war on drugs!

Here, here! Got a fresh barrel of victory gin to celebrate too!