PDA

View Full Version : teaparty07.com & the USA Today Ad

adwads
11-17-2007, 10:20 AM
A LOT of people are going to be visiting the teaparty07.com website after seeing the USA today ad because the ad mentions the website. Is the website set up to handle a sudden influx of thousands and thousands of people on Wednesday Nov. 21?

DJ RP
11-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm thinking it'll be fine, though to take some load off maybe have less videos loading directly in the page and instead just have links to them? This would also make it easier to link to ALL the good teaparty videos without totally slowing the page down.

uncloned21
11-17-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm thinking it'll be fine, though to take some load off maybe have less videos loading directly in the page and instead just have links to them? This would also make it easier to link to ALL the good teaparty videos without totally slowing the page down.

The videos are just embedded in the page, not streaming from the actual site. Think of the video window as a separate page loaded within the page, feeding from information on youtube servers.

Wayne Hammond
11-17-2007, 10:26 AM
I think Trevor already changed them from being embedded to linked .jpg's. Loads pretty fast now.

adwads
11-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Ok, I'm not really technically oriented, but aren't there server issues or something when there's thousands of more people that come to a site? I mean, why do sites "crash" sometimes?

jd603
11-17-2007, 11:02 AM
I can mirror the site and images etc. in no time in my data center (message me if interested), but with print publications traffic is more spread out than with television ads etc. So it should be ok. I've already seen the site sluggish though, I'm guessing it's on some cheap shared hosting provider?

A LOT of people are going to be visiting the teaparty07.com website after seeing the USA today ad because the ad mentions the website. Is the website set up to handle a sudden influx of thousands and thousands of people on Wednesday Nov. 21?

SwordOfShannarah
11-17-2007, 11:07 AM
We should be able to handle it. Things got a little slow with ThisNovember5th.com leading up to the donation day so I upgraded the hosting plan and have kept it there. It stayed up through the entire media blitz after the $4.3 million without any problems. We should be fine.

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Thought of Running for Congress Trevor?