PDA

View Full Version : The Endless Drought Of 2012 Will Bake America Well Into August

John F Kennedy III
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
***I'm not so sure it's a "natural" disaster *ahem* HAARP***

The Endless Drought Of 2012 Will Bake America Well Into August

The Largest Natural Disaster In U.S. History

Michael Snyder
The American Dream
July 16, 2012

Why is the heartland of the United States experiencing such a horrific drought right now? At the moment, approximately 61 percent of the entire nation is experiencing drought conditions, and this is absolutely devastating farmers and ranchers all over the country. Less than two weeks ago I wrote an article asking what would happen if these drought conditions persisted, and now we are finding out. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has created the largest natural disaster area in U.S. history. The USDA has declared 1,016 counties in 26 U.S. states to be disaster areas. The USDA declaration basically covered about half of the nation, and there is now no denying how horrible this drought really is. You can see a map of this disaster area right here. This endless drought is being compared to the nightmarish drought of 1988, and if it persists into August it could become perhaps the worst drought that America has ever seen. The USDA says that approximately 60 percent of all corn in the country is experiencing “moderate to extreme” drought conditions. If this drought does not end soon, the losses are going to be mind blowing. Already, it is estimated that farmers and ranchers have suffered billions of dollars in damage. How much worse can things get?

At the beginning of July many were hoping that we would soon see some rain and that we could still see a decent corn harvest.

Unfortunately, the drought has gotten even worse since that time. The following is from an article in the Chicago Tribune….

The whole of Iowa was classified as abnormally dry as of July 10 and 12.7 percent of the top corn and soybean producing state was in severe drought, up from 0.8 percent the prior week.

Harder-hit Illinois, the No. 2 corn and soy state, was 66.28 percent under severe drought or worse, up from 40 percent the previous week.

Severe to exceptional drought covered 80.15 percent of Indiana, versus 68.84 percent the prior week.

Conditions in Missouri also deteriorated, with 82.54 percent of the state in severe drought or worse, compared with 78.83 percent the week before.

That is not good news.

Posted below is the latest update from the U.S. drought monitor. As you can see, nearly the entire southern half of the country is extremely dry right now….

http://endoftheamericandream.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Drought-Monitor-July-10-2012-460x346.png

It is being projected that in some of the major corn growing areas as much as 60 percent of the crops could be lost.

Many farmers that had been desperately hoping for rain are now becoming resigned to the fact that their crops are not going to make it. The following is from an article in the New York Times….

“Corn is anywhere from knee-high to waist-high,” Gonzalee Martin, agriculture and natural resources educator with Purdue University’s Allen County extension office, told The News-Sentinel. “Much of it has already tassled with no ears at all. Much of it’s going to be completely lost”

When your livelihood depends on the weather, an endless drought can be extremely stressful. Many farmers that had been anticipating a bumper crop this year are now faced with an utter disaster. The following example comes from CNN….

Now, as punishing drought grips the Midwest, Villwock, 61, walks his hard-hit 4,000 acres in southwest Indiana in utter dismay.

Where there should have been tall, dark green, leafy plants, there now stand corn stalks that are waist high or, at best, chest high. They are pale in color and spindly. Fragile. Tired.

Pull back an ear’s husk and you find no kernels, he says. With temperatures rising above 95 degrees, the pollen starts to die.

“It’s emotionally draining,” he said. “The crop got out of the ground very well. We were so optimistic. But maybe a few of us were counting our eggs before they were hatched.”

So is there any hope that things are going to turn around?

Unfortunately, things do not look promising right now. It is being projected that the Corn Belt will experience extremely high temperatures and very low rainfall all the way through mid-August. The following report comes from accuweather.com….

AccuWeather.com agricultural meteorologists are concerned that new and frequent waves of near-100-degree temperatures and stingy rainfall will further stress crops over Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska into mid-August.

When temperatures are very high and rainfall is very low, evaporation happens very rapidly. As accuweather.com notes, when the ground becomes very, very dry it can create a vicious cycle that feeds on itself….

Evaporation rates are very high into the first part of August. Soaking rain on a regular basis instead of a brief downpour is needed to be of benefit beyond a couple of days.

Turning things around in the Midwest as a whole will be a difficult task as dry ground tends to bring higher daytime temperatures, which in turn raises evaporation rates and so on.

So what does all of this mean for the rest of us?

It is going to mean higher food prices.

On Friday, the price of corn hit $7.50 a bushel.

It had been thought that the price of corn would only be about $5.00 a bushel this year.

At this point, the price of corn is up 48 percent since mid-June, and it could go a whole lot higher.

Some analysts are projecting that if this endless drought persists, we could see ten dollars for a bushel of corn and 20 dollars for a bushel of soybeans.

And yes, you will notice this at the supermarket.

In a previous article, I included a quote from a recent article by Holly Deyo about why the price of corn affects the price of so many other products….

Since 75% of grocery store products use corn as a key ingredient, expect food prices to skyrocket. Corn is also a staple in many fast foods. Corn is in ethanol and the main food source or chickens. In addition to this, maize is in many things that aren’t obvious like adhesives, aluminum, aspirin, clothing starch, cosmetics, cough syrup, dry cell batteries, envelopes, fiberglass insulation, gelatin capsules, ink, insecticides, paint, penicillin, powders, rugs and carpets, stamps, talcum, toothpaste, wallpaper, and vitamins. That’s just for starters…

This is a huge heads up for you to purchase corn-using products NOW before these conditions reflect in grocery goods. It will be a narrow window of opportunity.

This endless drought is also a complete and total nightmare for ranchers.

At this point, approximately 50 percent of America’s pastures and ranges are in “poor” or “very poor” condition.

Back in June, that figure was only sitting at 28 percent.

So things have gotten a lot worse very quickly.

A lot of ranchers are selling off their cattle because this drought is making it very difficult to continue to feed them. The following is from examiner.com….

Rauhn Panting, with the University of Idaho, who works with ranchers and farmers, says, “We’re going to run out of grass. It’s going to be scary.” Ranchers are being advised to vacate grazing lands, weeks and even months before when they usually have to leave.

Left with only two choices, feed or sell, many are opting to sell their cattle. The Torrington Stock Market in Wyoming, has recorded that 36,000 cattle were sold in May and June of this year. The usual average for these months is 5,500. Small ranchers, with 30-50 cow/calf pairs, are being hit the hardest.

So expect higher meat prices in the fall and winter as well.

This all comes at a really bad time. We are already on the verge of a global financial catastrophe. Agriculture was supposed to be one of the few bright spots in the U.S. economy.

Sadly, the U.S. is not the only one having problems with crops this year.

For example, in Germany farmers are actually experiencing a full-blown plague of rats.

Yes, seriously.

The following is from a recent Der Spiegel article….

Millions of field mice are overrunning the central German states of Thuringia and Saxony-Anhalt, much to the concern of local farmers. The rodents are devastating food crops, cutting yields by up to 50 percent. Getting birds of prey to hunt the critters didn’t help, and now farmers want to be allowed to use a banned rat poison.

So why is all of this happening?

article here:
http://www.infowars.com/the-largest-natural-disaster-in-u-s-history-the-endless-drought-of-2012-will-bake-america-well-into-august-2/

originally here:
http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/the-largest-natural-disaster-in-u-s-history-the-endless-drought-of-2012-will-bake-america-well-into-august

Acala
07-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Corn is poison anyway.

John F Kennedy III
07-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Corn is poison anyway.

True. This could possibly be a good thing in the sense that it will force lower income people to buy food with less or zero corn in it.

jay_dub
07-16-2012, 01:33 PM
My area has had very dry spring/summer for the last 3 years. This year we're finally getting the rain we should always get. I dunno...the weather is nuts these days.

KingNothing
07-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Corn is poison anyway.

:rolleyes:

jbauer
07-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Corn is poison anyway.

One in every crowd. :rolleyes:

RickyJ
07-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Corn is poison anyway.

Corn isn't poison, genetically modified corn maybe, but not regular corn if you can find it.

John F Kennedy III
07-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Corn isn't poison, genetically modified corn maybe, but not regular corn if you can find it.

Doesn't the human body have trouble digesting regular corn too?

jbauer
07-16-2012, 02:02 PM

Humans have been geneticaly modifiying plants/animals for eons. If you're for corn in its present state you should be for GMO corn. Both have been highly genetically modified from their original state to suite the needs of humans. Man's ability to insert genes they want rather then breed and find the traits they want has only increased the speed at which "we" get the desirable traits. Nothing more, nothing less.

jbauer
07-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Doesn't the human body have trouble digesting regular corn too?

The outside of the kernal is more difficult for the human body to digest as is the case with most seeds.

Kelly.
07-16-2012, 02:06 PM
until you learn that BT corn is registered as an insecticide, based on its genes.

http://www.downtoearth.org/blogs/2010-03/environment/genetically-modified-corn-overdosing-plant-pesticides

VanBummel
07-16-2012, 02:09 PM
True. This could possibly be a good thing in the sense that it will force lower income people to buy food with less or zero corn in it.
http://mimg.ugo.com/201111/1/0/7/213701/cuts/obamatroll_480_poster.jpg

kahless
07-16-2012, 02:09 PM
I thought I was allergic to corn at one point and was getting petty sick until I realized I was buying products with GMO corn. No problem with regular corn and it is pretty much a daily staple of my diet since I cannot eat wheat products every day. Without corn I would be up the creek.

jbauer
07-16-2012, 02:10 PM
bacillus thuringiensis has been used in organic farming for several decades. If it was going to kill you we'd have known by now.

To properly determine whether BT corn is good or bad you must take into count the need for less more harmful pesticides that are known carcingens to humans.

Kelly.
07-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Humans have been geneticaly modifiying plants/animals for eons. If you're for corn in its present state you should be for GMO corn. Both have been highly genetically modified from their original state to suite the needs of humans. Man's ability to insert genes they want rather then breed and find the traits they want has only increased the speed at which "we" get the desirable traits. Nothing more, nothing less.

you are talking about hybridization, and plants breeding, which GMOs are not.
the issue with GMOs are the TRANSGENETIC crossing. flounder genes into tomatoes, bacteria genes in corn etc
these are 2 organisms that never would have naturally mixed.

i guess we will see the outcome, but it is totally unfair to lump plant breeders (hybridization) into the same group as GMO creators.

Bruno
07-16-2012, 02:12 PM
It's as dry here as I have ever seen it. We had a few spotty showers Saturday across the state, not enoough and most didn't see a drop of rain. Forecast is for upper 90's all week, few chances of rain. Father-in-law farms near Sioux City, a little better there but still bad.

Our yard has never been so brown, mowed once in the past seven weeks.

Kelly.
07-16-2012, 02:14 PM
dup

jbauer
07-16-2012, 02:15 PM
I thought I was allergic to corn at one point and was getting petty sick until I realized I was buying products with GMO corn. No problem with regular corn and it is pretty much a daily staple of my diet since I cannot eat wheat products every day. Without corn I would be up the creek.

This is such a misinformed dilusional comment. There is no way to test for GMO crops short of DNA testing every single kernal of corn. Corn cross polinates even if its planted in a non GMO field the pollen from other fields can float for miles. Thus, an ear of corn can literly have GMO and non GMO kernals on each ear of corn regardless of where or how its planted. (of course short of growing it in a buble)

You are not sick from BT corn (which is presumabley the GMO you're talking about)

Kelly.
07-16-2012, 02:17 PM
bacillus thuringiensis has been used in organic farming for several decades. If it was going to kill you we'd have known by now.

To properly determine whether BT corn is good or bad you must take into count the need for less more harmful pesticides that are known carcingens to humans.

BT being sprayed on plants, and being spliced into the genetic code of a seed arent even the same thing.

but hey, i guess monsanto didnt lie about agent orange, dioxin and pcb’s so i guess we will be ok.

jbauer
07-16-2012, 02:21 PM
you are talking about hybridization, and plants breeding, which GMOs are not.
the issue with GMOs are the TRANSGENETIC crossing. flounder genes into tomatoes, bacteria genes in corn etc
these are 2 organisms that never would have naturally mixed.

i guess we will see the outcome, but it is totally unfair to lump plant breeders (hybridization) into the same group as GMO creators.

No its not. Humans were looking for a "cure" to a human introduced condition of the European Corn Boar that was destorying corn crops in the late 90s early 00s. They knew that bacillus thuringiensis showed resitance to corn boar. They could just as easily put their energy into finding resitant hybred.

Kelly.
07-16-2012, 02:22 PM
You are not sick from BT corn (which is presumabley the GMO you're talking about)

how can you make this statement when you have no idea which corn she/he was eating?
with over 80% of the corn grown in america being GMO, there is a HIGH likelihood that is the corn she/he was eating.

because of the extra time and money, coupled with decreased yield, you are likely to know by the price if you are buying natural corn. (hint: its not cheap, and not nearly as common)
if it doesnt say it is natural/organic, it is likely GMO. as in america that is considered "conventional" farming.

Kelly.
07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
No its not. Humans were looking for a "cure" to a human introduced condition of the European Corn Boar that was destorying corn crops in the late 90s early 00s. They knew that bacillus thuringiensis showed resitance to corn boar. They could just as easily put their energy into finding resitant hybred.
the cure is to stop planting mono crops in the same plots year after year, but no farmer wants to hear that.

again, BT corn was not created by plant breeding.
it was created by adding genes from one organism (BT bacteria) to another unlike organism (corn).
if you know of the company that naturally bred BT and corn, id sure love to invest in them.

ZENemy
07-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Just in time for all of that "State of emergency" talk in all of ObombO's latest EO's.

jbauer
07-16-2012, 02:29 PM
the cure is to stop planting mono crops in the same plots year after year, but no farmer wants to hear that.

again, BT corn was not created by plant breeding.
it was created by adding genes from one organism (BT bacteria) to another unlike organism (corn).
if you know of the company that naturally bred BT and corn, id sure love to invest in them.

Plant rotation is significanlty under used these days. But most still do rotate corn/soybeans. Atleast the ones that I know. We'll have to agree to disagree on the merits or lack there of, of BT corn.

CaseyJones
07-16-2012, 02:31 PM

think you will find more than one here

Kelly.
07-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Plant rotation is significanlty under used these days. But most still do rotate corn/soybeans. Atleast the ones that I know. We'll have to agree to disagree on the merits or lack there of, of BT corn.
rotating GM corn to CM soy to GM canola to GM wheat isnt what i would call crop rotation (assuming you are referencing the midwest) :)
the soil in the midwest is dead or dieing from all of the chemicals that have been sprayed on them.... soon crops will only grow with artificial fertilizers.

in the event you find a company that is creating transgenetic organisms in a natural way, i sure would love to hear about them. until then, these are science experiments with the general population as test subjects, imo.

kahless
07-16-2012, 02:34 PM
This is such a misinformed dilusional comment. There is no way to test for GMO crops short of DNA testing every single kernal of corn. Corn cross polinates even if its planted in a non GMO field the pollen from other fields can float for miles. Thus, an ear of corn can literly have GMO and non GMO kernals on each ear of corn regardless of where or how its planted. (of course short of growing it in a buble)

Fuck you delusional. Two products with the exact same ingredients except one lists corn as the main ingredient while the other lists "Genetically Modified Corn". I have tested this many times over and it is consistent, the one with GM corn causes my thoat to go into spasm.

I never gave a dam whether something was GM corn or non-GM corn until that extreme discomfort started happening around the same time GM corn shit started hitting the store shelves in the 90s.

jbauer
07-16-2012, 02:37 PM
What part of cross polinated don't you get? You literly can have GMO and non GMO corn on the same ear of corn. Regardless of what was planted where. Do you think they test each individual kernal prior to labeling it?

jbauer
07-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Kahless are you in Europe? I am unaware of any lableing of GMO vs non GMO in America. (Edit, since its un-testable)

CaseyJones
07-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Organic produce has a 5 digit PLU number that begins with the number 9.
Conventional produce has a 4 digit PLU number that begins with the number 4.
Genetically modified (GMO) produce has a 5 digit PLU number that begins with the number 8.

jbauer
07-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Organic produce has a 5 digit PLU number that begins with the number 9.
Conventional produce has a 4 digit PLU number that begins with the number 4.
Genetically modified (GMO) produce has a 5 digit PLU number that begins with the number 8.

This may be the case with some produce if reported on a voluntary basis. It is not the case with corn since it is not tested. Also since we're talking about BT corn, as an organic grower one is allowed to apply BT to the corn/soil.

Organic is one of the biggest marketing myths ever created. Give them credit they've done a great job getting folks to pay 2x, 3x for the same thing.

kahless
07-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Kahless are you in Europe? I am unaware of any lableing of GMO vs non GMO in America. (Edit, since its un-testable)

I am in the US and unless something has changed the products clearly state in the ingredients either "Corn", "Genetically Modified Corn" or "GM Corn".

When I see the last two I just pick another product but come to think I do not see it that often these days as I did when this started in the early 90s. The first incident of this where the problem started and I started checking labels was with Honeycomb cereal where it was specifically labeled "Genetically Modified Corn" at the time.

Maybe they stopped requiring that label since then, I don't know since most things I buy are fresh non GM.

libertyjam
07-16-2012, 02:59 PM

It's corn BORER!

Ireland4Liberty
07-16-2012, 03:00 PM
lads, here in Ireland we are having one of the wettest summers on record. It is aweful for farming here.

Kelly.
07-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Organic is one of the biggest marketing myths ever created. Give them credit they've done a great job getting folks to pay 2x, 3x for the same thing.

its only my opinion, but i think you have it backwards. organic isnt expensive, subsidized industrial "food" inputs make some food like products appear cheaper.

i cant believe people can be fooled into eating food like products, based on price alone.

heavenlyboy34
07-16-2012, 03:21 PM
its only my opinion, but i think you have it backwards. organic isnt expensive, subsidized industrial "food" inputs make some food like products appear cheaper.

i cant believe people can be fooled into eating food like products, based on price alone.
This^^ I buy organic at Trader Joe's for as much or less than non-organic.

jbauer
07-16-2012, 08:18 PM
To be honest, between our families we grow almost all of our own food.

Milk, Fruit, Veggies, beef, pork, chicken, goat. The only thing we don't grow is lettuce in the winter and bread/grain type products.

Organic food is a fraud. Most organic grain is shipped in the night before its shipped out. Some of the organic remedies are as harmful or more than their traditional counterparts. I believe in organic methods if it is successful and non threatening. I have a problem when people put all their trust into something that is 99% marketing.

Eat it if it makes you happy but you'd serve yourself better to go to the local farmers market and buy it there then you would be to buy it at any grocery store. I would bet that nearly every single real farmer there would happily let you go to their place and inspect it if you’d like.

John F Kennedy III
07-17-2012, 03:01 AM

Food like products. I shall call them that from now on.

luctor-et-emergo
07-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Food like products. I shall call them that from now on.

Yeah you shouldn't eat those things, but there's lots of other nice names you can think of.
I like using the word substrate, as it has this test-tube-sound to it.

Something like; 'Food resembling growth substrate'.

But concerning this drought. You can have some of our rain ?
It has been raining non-stop in Europe. It should have been summer by now, but apart from a couple nice days in spring, we have only had grey clouds and lots of rain.
So please take some of our rain, we wouldn't miss it.

DerailingDaTrain
07-17-2012, 05:38 AM
It's as dry here as I have ever seen it. We had a few spotty showers Saturday across the state, not enoough and most didn't see a drop of rain. Forecast is for upper 90's all week, few chances of rain. Father-in-law farms near Sioux City, a little better there but still bad.

Our yard has never been so brown, mowed once in the past seven weeks.

Rained for over a week here. Yesterday was the first time we've had any sun

Anti Federalist
07-17-2012, 06:17 AM
lads, here in Ireland we are having one of the wettest summers on record. It is aweful for farming here.

Yah, I hate that, had that happen to my gardens a few years back, rain and seed rot, nothing grew.

Pretty common weather pattern in the northern hemisphere.

If the US is hot and dry, look for Europe to be cool and wet, and vice versa.

GunnyFreedom
07-17-2012, 06:22 AM

I read this with an Irish accent...

Hope you guys get better too.

oyarde
07-22-2012, 12:46 AM
Heaviest rains in 60 years in Beijing , now.

John F Kennedy III
07-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Heaviest rains in 60 years in Beijing , now.

How much?

AlexAmore
07-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Corn is poison anyway.

I was reading this article wondering how fast it would take until someone said this.

Right on brotha! F*** corn syrup.

oyarde
07-23-2012, 12:33 AM
How much? looks like , around 450 mm , or nearly a years worth , shut the city down 20 hours , airports , total death toll from flooding not in , probably will excede 100 ...

devil21
07-23-2012, 02:22 AM
To be honest, between our families we grow almost all of our own food.

Milk, Fruit, Veggies, beef, pork, chicken, goat. The only thing we don't grow is lettuce in the winter and bread/grain type products.

Organic food is a fraud. Most organic grain is shipped in the night before its shipped out. Some of the organic remedies are as harmful or more than their traditional counterparts. I believe in organic methods if it is successful and non threatening. I have a problem when people put all their trust into something that is 99% marketing.

Eat it if it makes you happy but you'd serve yourself better to go to the local farmers market and buy it there then you would be to buy it at any grocery store. I would bet that nearly every single real farmer there would happily let you go to their place and inspect it if you’d like.

You're still confusing organic against GMO. Organic may be no better than traditional (non-lab produced) growing methods involving chemical nutrients (not organic) but organic methods with hierloom genes are not more harmful than GMO. You're suddenly talking about supplement claims and trying to prove your cred on this thread with a crap post. You gotta step your intellectual game up if you're going to debate on RPF.

jbauer
07-23-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm not confusing organic vs GMO at all. In fact I'd say I'm probably one of the few on here that has actually grown both ways. I'd take GMO 100x to next sunday over some of the "natural chemicals" used on organic food. Just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't mean I need to step up my intellectual game.

UtahApocalypse
07-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Mother Earth is a living being..... as our Corn Crops have been poisoned with GMO, and other things she has to find a way to remove the cancer....... dry up the American Fields where the poisoning is occurring.

jbauer
07-23-2012, 08:29 AM
You can dry out the field all you want. All that is going to do is create a highly drought resistant form of GMO crops through more breeding. GMO isn't going anywhere, the demand for cheap food far exceeds the desire for non-gmo food. If you want to change the world, learn to grow your own or buy locally from someone you know.

Kelly.
07-23-2012, 09:36 AM
You can dry out the field all you want. All that is going to do is create a highly drought resistant form of GMO crops through more breeding. GMO isn't going anywhere, the demand for cheap food far exceeds the desire for non-gmo food. If you want to change the world, learn to grow your own or buy locally from someone you know.

i would say the demand for cheap food outweighs the desire for HEALTHY food, but only because most people do not understand what they are putting into their bodies when they eat "cheap".

i agree with jbauer, grow your own, seek out local meats, be as self sufficient as possible.

jbauer- do you agree that most of the corn grown in the US CANNOT be eaten directly off the cob (as with say sweet corn), and must be processed before its put into food stuffs?

jbauer
07-23-2012, 10:10 AM
jbauer- do you agree that most of the corn grown in the US CANNOT be eaten directly off the cob (as with say sweet corn), and must be processed before its put into food stuffs?

The outside portion of the kernel is for all intensive purposes indigestible. The inside portion (the bulk of the kernel) that is starch is easily digestible. The same can be said for most "grass like" grains. (soybeans don't fall here) Corn gets the indigestible label because (this is gross) people look at their #2 in the potty and see what looks like full kernels in their #2 when in fact its the outside layer filled with other parts of their #2.

People get up in arms about corn because processors use corn in all sorts (if not all) of food. They use it because the corn plant is probably the most productive plant on the planet. It falls in the C4 (highest) category because of its efficiency of the photosynthesis process. Being bountiful and thus cheap makes it a perfect candidate for use in sugar, binders, starches etc etc.

So yes you need to at a minimum crack corn for it to be digestible by most animals including humans. Taste-wise there are probably better options for starch in your diet then “Dent” corn which is what you primarily see in the fields today.

As far as cheap vs healthy? I'm not sure anyone even cares to know whats in their food. I don't think you can label corn as the sole culprit here. Our bodies weren't intended to sit behind a computer and/or push paper all day. Obesity comes from excess calories in vs out simple as that. You could get those calories from anything out there. Calories eaten > Calories expended = Fat.

XNavyNuke
07-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Latest drought outlook (next 90 days) released by NOAA:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/season_drought.gif

Even worse than their previous release. Definitely trending in the wrong direction.

XNN

jbauer
07-23-2012, 12:28 PM
So basicaly everywhere we grow food except FL

Latest drought outlook (next 90 days) released by NOAA:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/season_drought.gif

Even worse than their previous release. Definitely trending in the wrong direction.

XNN

GunnyFreedom
07-23-2012, 12:31 PM
So basicaly everywhere we grow food except FL

Pretty sure we grow food in NC, SC, Georgia, and Alabama.

JK/SEA
07-23-2012, 12:41 PM
one word.............irrigation. Why do these massive agro-biz farms rely on ...rain?

devil21
07-23-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm not confusing organic vs GMO at all. In fact I'd say I'm probably one of the few on here that has actually grown both ways. I'd take GMO 100x to next sunday over some of the "natural chemicals" used on organic food. Just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't mean I need to step up my intellectual game.

How do you grow something GMO? GMO refers to the genetic make up of the actual plant. Genetically Modified Organism. Organic refers to the growing method for producing the plant. You could even grow a GMO organically if you desired. That's what I meant that you're confusing the two terms. It's not your differing opinion that is the problem. You simply don't have a clue what you're talking about. That's the problem.

jbauer
07-23-2012, 01:52 PM
A crop that has been genetically modified is considered a GMO crop. BT corn, Roundup Ready Soybeans. Those are GMO-Crops. I'm not confusing anything with anything even though you seem to think that. Technically you couldn't grow a GMO crop organically because the genetic traits described would automatically knock them out of the "certified organic world". You could however, grow them without additional pesticides, herbicides, insecticides and commercial fertilizer on land that was (can't remember the real number) 7 years removed from use of such things.

How do you grow something GMO? GMO refers to the genetic make up of the actual plant. Genetically Modified Organism. Organic refers to the growing method for producing the plant. You could even grow a GMO organically if you desired. That's what I meant that you're confusing the two terms. It's not your differing opinion that is the problem. You simply don't have a clue what you're talking about. That's the problem.

jbauer
07-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Another word: Money

Its very costly to put in center pivot irrigation systems in. Not to mention all the eco people that would go nuts over farmers tapping the aquifers to water there “poisonous” corn.

one word.............irrigation. Why do these massive agro-biz farms rely on ...rain?

jbauer
07-23-2012, 01:56 PM
There is food grown there, but the bread basket of the world is in IL, IN, OH, KS, IA, MS etc. We've got real serious issues going into this winter with food prices

Pretty sure we grow food in NC, SC, Georgia, and Alabama.

Kelly.
07-23-2012, 04:02 PM
try using trans-genetic organisms instead of GMO.
all organisms are genetic modifications of their parents, but trans genetic organisms have genes combined from unnatural matings in labs.

a technicality that most overlook.

just trying to help.

Kelly.
07-23-2012, 04:07 PM
There is food grown there, but the bread basket of the world is in IL, IN, OH, KS, IA, MS etc. We've got real serious issues going into this winter with food prices

"bread basket" is a marketing term used by big agri business to give the illusion that america still grows food, we dont, we grow industrial inputs for feed, ethanol and pharmaceutical grade "wheat" (hint: white enriched flour isnt the "flour" of your grandparents day)

the wheat grown in the midwest is not capable of making bred unless it is processed and enriched.

KingNothing
07-23-2012, 04:17 PM

No, it actually means that the people arguing with you need to step up theirs. You've been dead-on this entire thread. They're just making things up and repeating common, false, narratives.

KingNothing
07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
the wheat grown in the midwest is not capable of making bred unless it is processed and enriched.

:rolleyes:

oyarde
07-24-2012, 12:36 AM
i WOULD SAY , LOOKING LIKE oCT , nOV BEFORE MUCH RAIN, AT BEST..

jbauer
07-24-2012, 06:32 AM
"bread basket" is a marketing term used by big agri business to give the illusion that america still grows food, we dont, we grow industrial inputs for feed, ethanol and pharmaceutical grade "wheat" (hint: white enriched flour isnt the "flour" of your grandparents day)

So bread basket is a marketing term similar to American land of the free? Bread basket is a commonly used term to descirbe the "heartland" of America for much longer then either you or I have been around. If thats marketing so be it. We're also no longer the land of the free either!!!!

As for enriched flour, its my understanding that they remove the outside of the wheat seed (see previous post about indigestiable) and they remove the germ (living baby wheat plant part) from the very most inside of the wheat seed which has a higher fat content to extend shelf life of flour. They then "enrich" the flour by adding in the minerals that were removed during the processing part. (even though you couldn't digest most of them in whole wheat) As for your grandparents day of flour. They've been enriching flour since WW2. They've been making white flour for centuries because it was thought to be a more wealthy type of flour.

Use whole wheat flour if you want. You can't digest the outside of the seed which is what you're after when you say whole wheat. You will gain some addtional fiber in your diet if you're having trouble in that area though.

Edit, and yes the wheat we still grow is very much capable of making flour. If they wanted whole wheat flour than grind away. No processing needed.

torchbearer
07-24-2012, 06:38 AM
remember the dust bowl?

jbauer
07-24-2012, 06:39 AM
No, it actually means that the people arguing with you need to step up theirs. You've been dead-on this entire thread. They're just making things up and repeating common, false, narratives.

Thanks man, glad someone else had a laugh about it all.

jbauer
07-24-2012, 06:40 AM
remember the dust bowl?

Ding ding!!!! Hopefully this doesn't last years because its already quite ugly. We run so close to the line on growing enough food to feed the world that we can't have extended times like this without killing a bunch of people.

Kotin
07-24-2012, 07:00 AM
My area has had very dry spring/summer for the last 3 years. This year we're finally getting the rain we should always get. I dunno...the weather is nuts these days.

Lol same here..

devil21
07-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Get real. Organic growing is the method of feeding the plant and how it may be protected against pests, if at all and that is what organic is about. GMO may cover the pest side with the genetic alterations, if you only focus on a couple of Monsanto's products, but GMO has NOTHING to do with how the plant is grown/fed. Organic has everything to do with how the plant is fed. Sorry but jbauer is clearly displaying no practical knowledge of farming or plant production by continually debating GMO vs Organic. jbauer should be debating GMO vs. heirloom or chemical vs organic. Not GMO vs. organic. They are apples and oranges.

(not surprised one resident troll agrees with another resident troll though)

jbauer
07-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Just so we're clear. The #2 post was: corn is poison, the #3 agreed and #7 went off into GM corn. Then we get into it for the next 7 pages.

So humor me, Please open your internet browser. I'm assuming you use IE because its easy and already installed on your computer. Go to google, that spelled G-O-O-G-L-E . C-O-M

Type in GMO or GM or GE or whatever, you'll find the terms are interchangeable. Since using a GMO seed IS the growing method (you shouldn't need additional pesticides at least with BT corn, since thats what this thread is talking about) It is exactly what I would compare to traditional hybrids, heirlooms, organic etc.

Yes it is the type of seed used, but it is also the type of pest resistance used as well. It IS the growing method.

Also, I've never been called a troll. Neat little tageline you can add for me. Maybe I can even find a picture to use as my avatar. That way any time someone disagrees with what I'm saying they can go off into their safe spot by calling the other party a troll.

devil21
07-24-2012, 02:54 PM
GMO is not a growth method, it is the organism that you are growing. Hence the "O" part. Growth methods are either organic or chemical, meaning the origins of the fertilizers and pesticides used, not origins of the seed itself. Monsanto has yet to engineer a plant that grows without fertilizers. True that a GMO seed crop can not be certified as organic but certification is not what I'm talking about here. Feel free to keep arguing with me over the terminology but GMO vs Organic is a false debate, unless the entire debate is based solely on where the seed comes from, and ignores the entire remaining equation for growing a plant, such as the fertilizer origins.

(Btw, if KingNothing gives you praise then yes you are a troll. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.)