PDA

View Full Version : TX-Cop shows up at home because of "illegal" campfire. Shoots family dog dead.

Anti Federalist
07-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Of course, the Mundane's version of events and the cop's, differ wildly.

And if there was any sense of "regret", like what is claimed by the cop, don't you think a little discretion could have been exercised, and it wouldn't be necessary to give this poor bastard a dog leash summons for the dog you just fucking blew away?

Never call the cops.

Never allow the cops on your property, if you can at all avoid it.

Dog killed by Horseshoe Bay officer

Police, pit bull's owner give conflicting accounts

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/hill_country/dog-killed-by-horseshoe-bay-officer

Updated: Sunday, 15 Jul 2012, 11:01 AM CDT
Published : Saturday, 14 Jul 2012, 11:08 PM CDT

HORSESHOE BAY, Texas (KXAN) - A night of guitar playing around a camp fire took a terrible turn in Horseshoe Bay. A police officer responding to a report of a burn-ban violation shot and killed a man's dog early Saturday morning.

But the dog's owner, Joseph Nickes, and Horseshoe Bay police gave very different accounts of the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

"The officer stepped down with his gun drawn," Nickes said. "He never pulled out his holster he just said get your dog, and -- boom -- shot the dog."

The officer shot the 7-year-old pit bull named Presley in the head, killing him instantly. Nickes says his dog was over 20 ft away from the officer when he shot and killed him.

"Before I could say, 'Presley,' he shot my dog in the face on the other side of the ditch."

But Horseshoe Bay Police Chief Bill Lane painted a very different picture.

"The officer estimates at about three feet away he realized he was about to get bit," said Lane. "He absolutely felt threatened by the dog and said he was bearing it's teeth it was obviously in attack mode."

Nickes says he wants the department to do something about what happened because the officer didn't just kill his dog he put Nickes' family in danger.

"If my child would've been coming around the corner he could've thought it was dog and shot my kid from 20 feet away, it was dark," said Nickes.

Horseshoe Bay Police are saying the officer followed protocol, and was not at fault for killing the dog."

"He is regretful that he had to put the animal down none of us want to destroy someone's pet," said Lane. "But when they reach a point when they are in danger in public and theres no other options we have to do what we have to do."

It was a decision that has left a dog owner burying his bestfriend. Officers also left Nickes with two citations one for a burn ban violation, and the other for having a dog without a leash.

"I feel empty. The one joy in my life is gone the one thing that had unconditional love for me everyday is dead for no reason," said Nickes.

Horseshoe Bay Police say they this wasn't their first incident at the home involving the dog.

Anti Federalist
07-15-2012, 04:25 PM
The Law Enforcement guide to Pit Bull Identification

http://i55.tinypic.com/281yiv8.jpg

The Law Enforcement Guide to Threatening Dog Behavior.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2moov7k.jpg

Kylie
07-15-2012, 04:43 PM
But when they reach a point when they are in danger in public and theres no other options we have to do what we have to do."

Fucking cops had better start taking their own advice. There are plenty that think the same ways about them as they do the dogs. And the newest one is Mr. Nickes.

sailingaway
07-15-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm buying the guitar, 20 feet away and ditch version, myself.

Even in the printed word the owner's indignation comes through.

Dr.3D
07-15-2012, 09:30 PM

I especially like the last picture on the right. My dogs assume that position quite often and it worries the hell out of me that some cop will assume that is a threatening position.

malkusm
07-15-2012, 09:32 PM
AF it's almost gotten so bad out there that we'll soon be able to replace you with a robot that finds these articles and posts them on RPF with a thread title of "(Insert context here). Cop shoots dog dead." :p

oyarde
07-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Illegal Fire , Burn ban , cops .

Anti Federalist
07-15-2012, 10:12 PM
AF it's almost gotten so bad out there that we'll soon be able to replace you with a robot that finds these articles and posts them on RPF with a thread title of "(Insert context here). Cop shoots dog dead." :p

Done in by a 'bot.

Oh, the ironing.

liberty2897
07-15-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm sure many of these dogs are ones that you've covered in previous posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-kVtx6iheI

Dr.3D
07-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Seems like the cops should be more concerned about being shot by an irate dog owner than being bit by the dog.

mport1
07-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Never call the cops.

Never allow the cops on your property, if you can at all avoid it.

Great advice that everybody needs to know.

"Police" are more dangerous than the other types of criminals who don't wear funny costumes and badges. Ordinary criminals do not believe they have the moral authority to commit their violent acts, and they know they may face severe negative consequences for their actions. "Police" commit their crimes out in the open without fear of repercussion and with the knowledge that much of the population will support them and even call them heroes

MJU1983
07-16-2012, 12:22 AM
8x more likely to be killed by a cop than by a "terrorist".

mport1
07-16-2012, 12:26 AM

And MANY, MANY more times likely than that to have cops inflict any kind of violence on you. Who are the terrorists again?

Terrorism (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/terrorism) - the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear

John F Kennedy III
07-16-2012, 04:02 AM
The Law Enforcement guide to Pit Bull Identification

http://i55.tinypic.com/281yiv8.jpg

Yep. With all these stories over the months it has become apparent that it is now STANDARD PROCEDURE for police to shoot any dogs they happen upon.

John F Kennedy III
07-16-2012, 04:04 AM

I think at this point dogs are 8x more likely to be killed by a cop than everything else combined. Including natural causes.

XTreat
07-16-2012, 05:30 AM
\\

kathy88
07-16-2012, 05:35 AM
I have an 80 pound bulldog and I worry about this all the time. He is very menacing until we tell him it's okay then he's a big baby.

donnay
07-16-2012, 05:45 AM
What I do not understand is, cops carry pepper spray and they carry a tazer--how come they never use it on the dogs, but they use it on people?

NCGOPer_for_Paul
07-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Seems like the cops should be more concerned about being shot by an irate dog owner than being bit by the dog.

Eventually, aren't one of these thugs with a badge going to run into someone or a group of someones who feel they'd have absoluely nothing to lose if they shot the thug who murdered their dog, parent, child, relative, etc.?

I'll ask again, where is PETA? Dog rescue groups? The Humane Society? The SPCA? I can't believe that in ALL of these cases, not ONE animal lover has demanded in a town meeting that the police explain themsevles.

CaptUSA
07-16-2012, 06:03 AM
This is what we have begun using in our company. I would venture to say that our employees run into dogs more often than police officers. This product has proven to be 100% effective. If the dog gets sprayed, the dog goes away. Period.

http://www.dpsoc.com/images/duty.jpg

Bruno
07-16-2012, 06:07 AM
What I do not understand is, cops carry pepper spray and they carry a tazer--how come they never use it on the dogs, but they use it on people?

Excellent question.

My guess is those officers don't get as much joy out of tazing a dog as they do from shooting one and bragging about it later to their buddies.

newbitech
07-16-2012, 06:12 AM
Notice how everywhere a cop shows up becomes a "public" place. Seems the only person at this shindig that was in danger was the uninvited guest, aka the public. And is it any coincidence that they throw in the line at the police say they have had problems at this home with the dog in the past?

So they were well aware a dog that didn't like them was there.

Kylie
07-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Notice how everywhere a cop shows up becomes a "public" place. Seems the only person at this shindig that was in danger was the uninvited guest, aka the public. And is it any coincidence that they throw in the line at the police say they have had problems at this home with the dog in the past?

So they were well aware a dog that didn't like them was there.

Well, in the dogs defense, they know when someone is a danger and they also know it's their inherent job to protect the family that feeds and provides their home. Loyalty to their owner is what kills most of these dogs.

That's why I've said we need to start thinking of our pets as expendable, because the terrrists in uniform already do. Get a shit load of dogs, teach them to be mean as fuck, and don't get too upset when a few of the get picked off by the cops. The dogs will get a proper burial and the owners will get a little forewarning that someone who does not belong on their property is there. It sucks, but this is the way things are going. I don't want to armchair quarterback, but I'm afraid I'd be dead if put in this situation. While I may not have arms to shoots you, I do have fingers to dig your eyeballs out of your face, and if you shoot my pets, I will be on my way for your eyes.

Dr.3D
07-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Well, in the dogs defense, they know when someone is a danger and they also know it's their inherent job to protect the family that feeds and provides their home. Loyalty to their owner is what kills most of these dogs.

That's why I've said we need to start thinking of our pets as expendable, because the terrrists in uniform already do. Get a shit load of dogs, teach them to be mean as fuck, and don't get too upset when a few of the get picked off by the cops. The dogs will get a proper burial and the owners will get a little forewarning that someone who does not belong on their property is there. It sucks, but this is the way things are going. I don't want to armchair quarterback, but I'm afraid I'd be dead if put in this situation. While I may not have arms to shoots you, I do have fingers to dig your eyeballs out of your face, and if you shoot my pets, I will be on my way for your eyes.

I can't do that. My dogs cost upwards of $2000 dollars each. I can't afford more than two of them and they are my companions. I will lay down my life to protect my companions.

Kylie
07-16-2012, 08:16 AM
I can understand, because I feel the same way. Mine didn't cost that much, but their value to me is priceless. And I will defend them, just like the rest of my family, with my life.

But if we start thinking like the cops, the line of thinking I stated above is where it has to go.

Pericles
07-16-2012, 09:18 AM

You would think so, wouldn't you.

The only thing I find suspicious about the story is a cop being able to hit a dog in the head at a distance in excess of 20 feet. He must be the department marksman.

Dr.3D
07-16-2012, 09:29 AM
You would think so, wouldn't you.

The only thing I find suspicious about the story is a cop being able to hit a dog in the head at a distance in excess of 20 feet. He must be the department marksman.
LOL, that's what I was thinking. When I go to the range, the cops are usually the worst at hitting their targets.

Must have been a darned lucky shot.

Pericles
07-16-2012, 09:32 AM
You now have to think of your dog as a PEWS (Puppy Early Warning System).

Dr.3D
07-16-2012, 09:37 AM
You now have to think of your dog as a PEWS (Puppy Early Warning System).
Yep, if you hear them barking, it means to get out the 12 gauge.

Edit:
PEWS.. LOL... reminds me of where I used to work.
They had a paper one needed to fill out, called... a 'Personal Interest Survey Sheet'. I asked them about the acronym for that and they didn't think I was funny.

libertyfan101
07-16-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm amazed people don't attack the cops. If my dog was murdered right before my eyes on my property. It would take everything in me to NOT defend myself and property.