PDA

View Full Version : MD - Cop Injured, patrol car wrecked, suspect dead, starting with a seat belt "violation".

Anti Federalist
07-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Not sure what to make of this just yet, except my first reaction:

Yeah, he "shot himself"...

"No, officer, I don't think you are going to arrest me today."

Md. Trooper Recovering, Man Dead After Chase

http://www.officer.com/news/10739415/md-trooper-recovering-man-dead-after-chase

PRINCESS ANNE (AP) - A Maryland state trooper is recovering from injuries after chasing a suspect in Somerset County, and the suspect apparently killed himself.

Police said the trooper tried to stop 45-year-old Alvin Melvin of Princess Anne on Friday night after seeing a passenger in Melvin's car was not wearing a seat belt. But Melvin refused to stop.

A police chase ensued. When a trooper drove up next to Melvin's car, police said Melvin rammed the patrol car. The state trooper lost control, struck several trees, overturned and caught fire. Another police officer helped the state trooper out of the burning car, along with his dog.

Melvin's car also lost control and crashed in a ditch. Police said Melvin refused to get out of the car and shot himself in the head.

angelatc
07-14-2012, 11:44 PM
What happened to the passenger?

Anti Federalist
07-14-2012, 11:46 PM
What happened to the passenger?

Dunno...

I have no further information.

thequietkid10
07-15-2012, 02:06 AM
moral of this story, don't run from cops. How can a law, any law, be a law if you can outrun it? Sure the seatbelt law is statist, sure the drugs laws are statist (probably the real reason he ran). But would you rather allow people to pick and choose which laws they want to follow, as per their own convenience

Kluge
07-15-2012, 04:11 AM
moral of this story, don't run from cops. How can a law, any law, be a law if you can outrun it? Sure the seatbelt law is statist, sure the drugs laws are statist (probably the real reason he ran). But would you rather allow people to pick and choose which laws they want to follow, as per their own convenience

People already do follow only those laws they "want" to follow.

MikeStanart
07-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Man is fine, safe. THEN:

"I'm from the government, I'm here to help"

Man is Dead.

presence
07-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Man is fine, safe. THEN:

Man is Dead.

^^^^

coastie
07-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Something similar just happened here several weeks ago, except both people in the car were on the run for general douchebaggery.

PANAMA CITY — A man shot himself Thursday afternoon on Beach Drive while fleeing police, who suspected him in a series of burglaries over the past several days. A passenger took control of the vehicle after the shooting and crashed into stone barriers, police said.

Read more: http://www.newsherald.com/articles/panama-103101-police-suspect.html#ixzz20nST3pcd

Not to steal the thunder from this thread, but from the article:

The chase began around 12:50 p.m. after an officer conducted a traffic stop on the vehicle at 23rd Street and Frankford Avenue. The burglaries had prompted police to assign additional officers to the area, and the officer matched the vehicle and its occupants to descriptions provided by the victims of the burglaries, police said.

:eek:The area they are describing is holy shit tiny and not safe at all to be chasing people down, and at 12:50 in the after noon to boot.

BSWPaulsen
07-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Man is fine, safe. THEN:

Man is Dead.

I shouldn't be laughing, but...

That's funny.