PDA

View Full Version : "young vote" segment on CNN

McDermit
11-17-2007, 08:55 AM
it has aired twice so far this morning. They mention RP by name and show a youtube of a girl singing his name. A few rally pics and clips as well. The 4.3mil day got a mention as well.

It was basically just a "will the youth vote?" thing... But RP got more mentions than any other candidate. (obama was mentioned by name, Hillary signs were pictured, and the obama girl video got a 2 second play.)

hawkeyenick
11-17-2007, 08:59 AM
it has aired twice so far this morning. They mention RP by name and show a youtube of a girl singing his name. A few rally pics and clips as well. The 4.3mil day got a mention as well.

It was basically just a "will the youth vote?" thing... But RP got more mentions than any other candidate. (obama was mentioned by name, Hillary signs were pictured, and the obama girl video got a 2 second play.)

I'll tell you this, most of the young vote aren't turning out for obama, and he is counting on them. January 3rd is xmas break and most of the kids here go home for that. Contrast that with the 20 pauls supports I saw at our last meeting, 18 of which are staying just to caucus.

jake
11-17-2007, 09:06 AM
the youth are waking up to reality in America

MS0453
11-17-2007, 09:10 AM
As a 19 year old, I have to say that you guys are pretty optimistic. I have absolutely no faith with people my own age.

me3
11-17-2007, 09:13 AM
As a 19 year old, I have to say that you guys are pretty optimistic. I have absolutely no faith with people my own age.
But I do have faith in your support of Dr. Paul! :)

MS0453
11-17-2007, 09:14 AM
lol Thanks

Bergie Bergeron
11-17-2007, 09:15 AM
We have faith in Ron Paul supporters of all ages, I truly believe they're more likely to actually go out and vote because the message is so powerful.

McDermit
11-17-2007, 09:24 AM
we should be collecting cell phone numbers for every young person who supports RP. We started doing it here about a month ago, and as of our last meeting, we had 230some numbers.

2 weeks before the voter reg deadline here, we will text everyone a reminder. April 21, we text everyone with a reminder to vote the following day. And then we're having a party the night of our primary for everyone who voted.

Hopefully it all goes off as planned. Texting everyone isgonna be a pain, but hopefully worth it.

Miss.Jif
11-17-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm nineteen also and I think my generation sucks royally. The majority of them are far too busy guzzling Kool-Aid and voting for American Idol contestants than actually paying attention to the terrible things that are happening to this country. However, there is a "tireless, irate minority" of us who are extremely passionate about Dr. Paul and his message. Have faith; we'll be there, fanning the flames of liberty come election night.

"...our soldiers fighting and dying in the Middle East...are being treated, as I never was, like toys a rich kid got for Christmas." Kurt Vonnegut - 2005

Miss.Jif
11-17-2007, 09:37 AM
McDermit, that is a really good idea. There are several reasons why people in my age group don't vote, but I think laziness is the biggest contributing factor. If someone is there to remind and pester them about registering to vote and getting to the polls, chances are they will do it just to get the proverbial thorn out of their side. And having a party for those who vote is a good incentive. Another thing is transportation. Most people my age have trouble getting around because they either don't have a vehicle or don't have much money for gas. Perhaps organizing a car pool would also be a good idea.

Your plan is definitely worth it, though :)

leonster
11-17-2007, 09:48 AM
McDermit, that is a really good idea. There are several reasons why people in my age group don't vote, but I think laziness is the biggest contributing factor. If someone is there to remind and pester them about registering to vote and getting to the polls, chances are they will do it just to get the proverbial thorn out of their side. And having a party for those who vote is a good incentive. Another thing is transportation. Most people my age have trouble getting around because they either don't have a vehicle or don't have much money for gas. Perhaps organizing a car pool would also be a good idea.

Your plan is definitely worth it, though :)

Laziness yes... but also, youth haven't voted much recently because of a lack of consequential choices. There's two people running, and they profess great differences and get many people all excited, but most younger people look around at their life, wonder "Will my life really be ANY different no matter which one wins?"... consider a moment, decide "No" and go on with their lives. Even me--I've been heavily interested in politics for a LONG time now, but in college in 2004, I could barely be bothered to vote, b/c hey--Bush? Kerry? What's the difference?

Except this time... it really COULD be different, if Dr. Paul wins. In a VERY positive way.

We need to be communicating that to college crowds. Ron Paul R3VOLUTION!

ConstitutionGal
11-17-2007, 09:53 AM
This story also aired last night on The Situation Room. See this thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=38087

Man from La Mancha
11-17-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm nineteen also and I think my generation sucks royally. The majority of them are far too busy guzzling Kool-Aid and voting for American Idol contestants
Just curiose what is the kool aid reference,
Vodka and cran-berry juice, "I've been sippin on kool aid all day, and I be crunk"
or
"Kool-Aid" is what one drinks metaphorically, in the context of a political campaign, when faced with an eminent loss. The term was popularly referenced in the 1993 film, "The War Room" by George Stephonopolous when he states, "I'm afraid we're all going to have to drink Kool-Aid."
:)
Welcome to the ronpaulforums.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9435/blackwsmallyh7.gif (teaparty07.com)..http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8947/brighton7gs5.gif (teaparty07.com)..copy,paste,linked to teaparty07.com , either one, only 1 million people at $100

Miss.Jif
11-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Lol thanks, I was referencing "War Room". Leonstar, I would have to agree that's also a contributing factor. But Ron Paul's message really resonates with young voters, so they actually believe in him and what he is saying. That gives us hope because we think our vote will make a difference.

leonster
11-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Lol thanks, I was referencing "War Room". Leonstar, I would have to agree that's also a contributing factor. But Ron Paul's message really resonates with young voters, so they actually believe in him and what he is saying. That gives us hope because we think our vote will make a difference.

Oh, absolutely. But my point was, we need to make sure more of us younger ones actually get the message.

I put up something Ron-Paul-related every day on my Facebook. I have about 400 friends... maybe 150 will notice it on the News Feed, and maybe only 10 will click it, and then maybe only 2-3 will take it to heart. But 2-3 every day would be great, if they then turn around and spread the word, too...

FreedomProsperityPeace
11-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I just saw this report a little bit ago on CNN Headline News.

entropy
11-17-2007, 11:46 AM

Funny thing perception is. I am 42 and I have been ecstatic due to the support of so many young adults. I have been to the Mars, Pa rally and the Philly rally. I saw lots of young people. When I first learned of RP I did not think he had a prayer to get the nomination. The grassroots support has given me hope as well as the money raised. I credit a portion of this to the enthusiasm and buzz he creates on the college campus across the nation.

I think his message is a much harder sell to the old guard like myself. I believe the youth are what will make this campaign a success. There are a lot of young adults who have never voted before and I do not think the pundits/msm/talking heads realize how big this group could be if motivated to vote.

So spread that message on campus, my daughters are 19 and 15 and both are RP supporters. My 19yo daughters group of friends are all RP supporters as well.

Makes me proud!

Ninja Homer
11-17-2007, 12:03 PM
I think the young supporters not turning out to vote is usually with Democrat supporters. I'm sure there are other examples, but the only time I can think of that somebody besides a Democrat had a lot of young supporters is Jesse Ventura, and they showed up to vote for him in record numbers. It was the young supporters that got him elected. In polls right before the election, he was behind, but the polls weren't accurate because they left out the young supporters. Sound familiar?

I don't know why young Democrat supporters don't show up to vote. Maybe they aren't really that passionate about the person they support. Maybe they are just doing it for fun, or because it's the cool thing to do, or to meet people.

It's different with young Ron Paul supporters. They are very passionate about it, and they will vote for him in the primaries. It should be blatantly obvious to anybody who's been following this campaign closely.

voisine
11-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Youth don't vote for two reasons. Having had less time to learn about politics they tend to be less educated. This is quickly changing due to the Internet. Secondly they don't have candidates that represent their interests. They're not interested in welfare or labor concerns. The know first hand that public education sucks, and they don't yet have a stake in corporatism, so that pretty much excludes the Republicans and Democrats. Since a winner take all system necessarily gravitates to a two party system, that leaves them without representation.

This time they actually have a candidate who represents them. They're going to come out in droves.

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Trust me, facebook is key for for getting the young people, buy facebook flyers

tnvoter
11-17-2007, 12:57 PM
I voted a month after I turned 18 in the 2000 elections, and have been voting since. It ain't hard ya'll, GET TO IT!

davidkachel
11-17-2007, 01:52 PM
...I don't know why young Democrat supporters don't show up to vote...

They'll be turning out to vote this time... for Ron Paul!

RonPaulwillWin
11-17-2007, 01:57 PM
youtube or it didn't happen nub

fcofer
11-17-2007, 02:05 PM
"Kool-Aid" is what one drinks metaphorically, in the context of a political campaign, when faced with an eminent loss. The term was popularly referenced in the 1993 film, "The War Room" by George Stephonopolous when he states, "I'm afraid we're all going to have to drink Kool-Aid."
:)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "drinking the Kool-Aid" is a reference to the Jim Jones cult mass suicide in Jonestown, Guyana. On Jones' orders, hundreds of people, including women and children who were part of his cult, drank Kool-Aid laced with cyanide. Hence, the phrase, "He drank the Kool-Aid" indicates that someone has bought into the premise of a ridiculous idea, which will ultimately lead to disastrous results. For instance, a person with my political opinions might say of a hawkish person who believe that Muslims hate us for our freedoms that "he favors invading Iran because he's been drinking the neocon Kool-Aid."

Maybe it has a different connotation in politics and I've been using it incorrectly.

chrismatthews
11-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "drinking the Kool-Aid" is a reference to the Jim Jones cult mass suicide in Jonestown, Guyana. On Jones' orders, hundreds of people, including women and children who were part of his cult, drank Kool-Aid laced with cyanide. Hence, the phrase, "He drank the Kool-Aid" indicates that someone has bought into the premise of a ridiculous idea, which will ultimately lead to disastrous results. For instance, a person with my political opinions might say of a hawkish person who believe that Muslims hate us for our freedoms that "he favors invading Iran because he's been drinking the neocon Kool-Aid."

Maybe it has a different connotation in politics and I've been using it incorrectly.

Nope, that's right on. It's just been used so much that much of the sting is taken out of it now. It's generally used now as a mild pejorative to mean that you believe wholesale in whatever topic it is attached to.

literatim
11-17-2007, 02:43 PM
The reason Ron Paul supporters will go to the poll is because we are by far the most informed of all other groups of supporters.