PDA

View Full Version : Latest news in the war on drugs.

AME3
07-14-2012, 05:57 PM
http://esciencenews.com/articles/2012/07/12/oxycontin.formula.change.has.many.abusers.switchin g.heroin
Drug lords = 1 and US Gov = 0 :cool:

AME3
07-14-2012, 05:58 PM
hmmmmm oxycontin to heroin? Heroin origin? Afghanistan?
What's up with this?

tod evans
07-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Opiates have been a world currency almost as long as gold.

[edit]

hmmmmm oxycontin to heroin? Heroin origin? Afghanistan?
What's up with this?

Country of origin aside opium and it's two primary derivatives morphine and the more refined heroin are quite simply the most effective pain killers on earth.

No amount of big-pharm media hype can change that.

AME3
07-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Opiates have been a world currency almost as long as gold.

[edit]

Country of origin aside opium and it's two primary derivatives morphine and the more refined heroin are quite simply the most effective pain killers on earth.

No amount of big-pharm media hype can change that.

So heroin is or was used as an analgesic? I suspected that it had analgesic effect after you mentioned it but I never thought of it being used for that purpose. So, it's a stronger form of morphine....but isn't oxycontin also? I guess all the opiates produce analgesic effect of varying intensity and duration, and, addictiveness?

kcchiefs6465
07-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Damn.. You had me excited. Here I thought you were going to post, "They won."

pcosmar
07-14-2012, 07:29 PM
So heroin is or was used as an analgesic?

http://wings.buffalo.edu/aru/winslows-ad.jpg

http://opioids.com/heroin/bayerheroin.jpg

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/gwensharp/Soc%20Images/Picture1-8.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VKnlNvwbGMM/TH0VBOAM8WI/AAAAAAAACPc/hfr7aSyLa0A/s1600/XX11.jpg

Used for centuries before the "War on Drugs".

tod evans
07-14-2012, 07:30 PM
So heroin is or was used as an analgesic?

Yes it is a very effective pain killer, more-so even than morphine.

I suspected that it had analgesic effect after you mentioned it but I never thought of it being used for that purpose. So, it's a stronger form of morphine....but isn't oxycontin also?

Any person who has been subjected to severe pain like burn victims, will tell you that oxycontin doesn't hold a candle to morphine.
There's a reason medics have packed morphine syrettes on the battlefield since their invention.

I guess all the opiates produce analgesic effect of varying intensity and duration, and, addictiveness?

Opioids and their synthetic brethren are the only "drugs" that are physically addictive no matter what the propaganda machine might say. Big-pharm really pushes their synthetics because the formulation is easily altered to curtail "abuse", that and they're not held hostage by the opium farmers trying to make a living.

All opioids will get one "high" so pain relief is accompanied by a euphoric feeling.

tod evans
07-14-2012, 07:33 PM

Ya' know there wasn't a "drug problem" until the synthetic substitutes hit the market and the feds got involved.....

pcosmar
07-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Ya' know .....

Ya think?

;)

AME3
07-14-2012, 07:47 PM
http://wings.buffalo.edu/aru/winslows-ad.jpg

http://opioids.com/heroin/bayerheroin.jpg

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/gwensharp/Soc%20Images/Picture1-8.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VKnlNvwbGMM/TH0VBOAM8WI/AAAAAAAACPc/hfr7aSyLa0A/s1600/XX11.jpg

Wow, didn't know that heroin came in a bottle. I thought it was only in an injectable form, thanks for the information, I had heard of laudnum (not sure of the spelling) which I believe was opium? I remember my mom used to get a bottle of paregoric to keep which she signed for from the drug store when I was a kid, growing up in Ohio. It was a lifesaver when you had a stomach ache or diarrhea. Damn shame that has been taken away from us. Also, I remember not too long ago (hmmmm maybe it was long ago...like twenty years...) when you could buy donnagel liquid for stomach cramps and it really helped. Sadly, they took it away too. I think that the prohib just turns the abusers to more dangerous substances, and makes us all suffer and endure unnecessary pain...

AME3
07-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Yes it is a very effective pain killer, more-so even than morphine.

Any person who has been subjected to severe pain like burn victims, will tell you that oxycontin doesn't hold a candle to morphine.
There's a reason medics have packed morphine syrettes on the battlefield since their invention.

Opioids and their synthetic brethren are the only "drugs" that are physically addictive no matter what the propaganda machine might say. Big-pharm really pushes their synthetics because the formulation is easily altered to curtail "abuse", that and they're not held hostage by the opium farmers trying to make a living.

All opioids will get one "high" so pain relief is accompanied by a euphoric feeling.

I remember the injectors of morphine in our medical / survival flight kits in the Navy, one handed tube with an inch and a half needle...to be plunged into the thigh through the flight suit and squeezed till empty...thankful I never had to use one too.

Also, I have been told by several people that if you are in severe to moderate pain that the analgesics loose the euphoric effect.

AME3
07-14-2012, 08:00 PM
:)

Working Poor
07-15-2012, 06:30 AM
You have to have permission to be in pain...

tod evans
07-15-2012, 06:36 AM
You have to have permission to be in pain...

Far more important to curtail "getting-high".....Don't ya' know all of our countries ills are due to those damn drug-addicts...

Good citizens will tolerate "a little" pain in order to reign in this scourge on our society..

sarc//

Dr.3D
07-15-2012, 07:17 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/67/Laudanum_poison_100ml_flasche.jpg/450px-Laudanum_poison_100ml_flasche.jpg
Typically, a little of this was put into a bottle of ethyl alcohol and used as needed for pain.
In other words, a bottle of whiskey would have perhaps 60 to 90 drops of Laudanum in it. The patient was instructed not to drink it all at once.

Kylie
07-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Wow, didn't know that heroin came in a bottle. I thought it was only in an injectable form, thanks for the information, I had heard of laudnum (not sure of the spelling) which I believe was opium? I remember my mom used to get a bottle of paregoric to keep which she signed for from the drug store when I was a kid, growing up in Ohio. It was a lifesaver when you had a stomach ache or diarrhea. Damn shame that has been taken away from us. Also, I remember not too long ago (hmmmm maybe it was long ago...like twenty years...) when you could buy donnagel liquid for stomach cramps and it really helped. Sadly, they took it away too. I think that the prohib just turns the abusers to more dangerous substances, and makes us all suffer and endure unnecessary pain...

I remember donnagel from when I was a kid all the way up to having my second child(1997). That stuff was a godsend for me, since I was never able to drink milk, but was forced to at school. I lived on it when pregnant with my boy, since I was sick every single day I was preggo with him. They stopped selling it right around that time I think. If I would have known they were gonna take it away, I would have bought cases of it. What was in it that was so bad for us? I drank the shit by the chugful, and it didnt do anything but settle my stomach.

farreri
07-15-2012, 12:11 PM
How can heroin be classified a schedule I drug? I thought one of the prerequisites of a schedule I drug is that it has no medical benefit? Isn't heroin one of the best painkillers on the planet? Aren't most pharma painkillers also opium based?

AME3
07-15-2012, 12:24 PM
They (the DEA and / or FDA) apparently had Donnagel reclassified from a schedule five to a three or four classification which put it under script some time in the nineties I believe. It had atropine in it so that one would get sick and vomit if they took much more than the recommended dose, which decreased the chances of abuse. I suspect they took it away from us because some fools were caught seperating the narcotic from it....or some asshat said "it's an opioid :eek:", at least that's my best guess:mad:
I remember donnagel from when I was a kid all the way up to having my second child(1997). That stuff was a godsend for me, since I was never able to drink milk, but was forced to at school. I lived on it when pregnant with my boy, since I was sick every single day I was preggo with him. They stopped selling it right around that time I think. If I would have known they were gonna take it away, I would have bought cases of it. What was in it that was so bad for us? I drank the shit by the chugful, and it didnt do anything but settle my stomach.

tod evans
07-15-2012, 02:25 PM
How can heroin be classified a schedule I drug? I thought one of the prerequisites of a schedule I drug is that it has no medical benefit? Isn't heroin one of the best painkillers on the planet? Aren't most pharma painkillers also opium based?

Of the pharmaceutical pain killers available in the USA only morphine is opium based.....

Almost all of the prescription pain killers are loaded with one toxin or another that won't make the average person sick at the "recommended dosage" but for those who build a tolerance and need to exceed "approved" dosages the results can, and often are, fatal.

Many cancer suffers choose to medicate themselves with black market opioids for the simple reason their quality of life is better than if they stick with insurance/state approved pain medicine.

If you ever have an opportunity to join a pain clinics support group your eyes will be opened to yet another failure of big-pharm. If a patient has the money and doesn't rely on insurance to pay his bills he really does have the option of a peaceful and pain free life. Unless somehow the cops catch on......

whoisjohngalt
07-16-2012, 01:09 PM
I was personally affected when they made the switch to OPs. Not only are they impossible to abuse, but they are not effective for the people who actually need to be taking them. This is an incredibly obvious unintended consequence.

Opiate users and addicts do not discriminate from one opiate to the next, even if they have a preference, so there is no such thing as an "oxycontin addict"; there is only "opiate addicts". It's maddening that Big Pharma would create an entire generation of opiate dependent people and then pull the rug out from other them, forcing them to go out and find an impure, unsafe alternative like heroin.

AME3
07-17-2012, 12:29 PM
hmmmm yeah that sounds about right....

I was personally affected when they made the switch to OPs. Not only are they impossible to abuse, but they are not effective for the people who actually need to be taking them. This is an incredibly obvious unintended consequence.

Opiate users and addicts do not discriminate from one opiate to the next, even if they have a preference, so there is no such thing as an "oxycontin addict"; there is only "opiate addicts". It's maddening that Big Pharma would create an entire generation of opiate dependent people and then pull the rug out from other them, forcing them to go out and find an impure, unsafe alternative like heroin.

AME3
07-17-2012, 01:01 PM
I mean, even though I believe that the pharm is being pressured by the asshats running the drug war and also have a strong desire to bring some new replacements (patented) onto the market, the results are always the same, we pay (in every way), we suffer and try and endure the best that we can...

XTreat
07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
\\

GunnyFreedom
07-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Kaolin, pectin, and belladonna alkaloids. Still available OTC in Canada, apparently banned in the US. They don't want you drinking nightshade, silly. ;)