PDA

View Full Version : What's up with /r/libertarian on reddit?

brandon
07-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Any of you guys subscribe to it? I only go there once in a while but it seems like actual libertarians are in the minority by far. I can't decide if it's just overrun with progressives that are there to debate/troll, or is there is some extremely uneducated moderate/liberal breed of libertarians that inhabit that place. Anyone know?

emazur
07-14-2012, 04:51 PM
I've never had a problem with it. There are a few trolls but that's to be expected

Wren
07-14-2012, 04:53 PM
They're really pushing Johnson in that sub-forum nowadays. I consider him to be more of a liberal because of his 'humanitarian' wars bullshit. It's probably a mixture of A and B.

brandon
07-14-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm posting in this thread about Keynes and there's hordes of people there trying desperately to defend him, and even more people that never even heard of him or know nothing about it. Just seems like it's mostly curious college freshman or something, and not seasoned libertarians.

July
07-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Yes, there do exist moderate/liberal and left libertarians (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-libertarianism). But I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't plenty of trolls around places like that.

KingRobbStark
07-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Yes, there do exist moderate/liberal and left libertarians (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-libertarianism). But I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't plenty of trolls around places like that.

There is no such thing as a left or right libertarian. There is only libertarian. You either believe in liberty or you don't.

July
07-14-2012, 06:20 PM
There is no such thing as a left or right libertarian. There is only libertarian. You either believe in liberty or you don't.

Well maybe so, but there are such people who do call themselves that, and who believe in a philosophy that draws from classical liberal ideas, but who aren't so hot on private property rights of natural resources, land...they reject the alliance libertarians have made with the traditional/old right conservatives on the right. I think there are some on the forums, and who have also supported Ron Paul, and have some influence from Murray Rothbard too, since I think he had tried to build coalitions on the left at one point.

brandon
07-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Sure there's all different types of people that identify as libertarians. There's a huge segment of college students that only know or care about one or two issues and identify as libertarian. I like to call them weeditarians.