PDA

View Full Version : FAQ: Winning Support for Ron Paul on the Ground

Ron LOL
11-17-2007, 08:21 AM
I don't want to be presumptuous, but I'd like a sticky for this if possible.

I went out for my second evening of sign waving and handing out slim jims and liberty cards, and the result was even better than last time. In about two and a half hours, I'd say I dumped at least 200 slim jims and maybe 150 cards. I'm even more confident about the conversion rate this time than last.

I also spent a lot of time talking to people, and I got many positive responses. I'm not claiming to be some sort of guru, but I feel I've done well and wanted to take some time to share some of my techniques with the forum so that others might benefit.

Before You Go Out
Guys, the single most important thing is that you be knowledgeable. You're out there to deliver RP's message to people who don't even known he exists -- you're going to meet tons of people, and they're going to ask you about everything under the sun. You need to be able to accurately recite RP's positions, and you need to know at least a little of the "why" in everything RP argues.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/articles/

This is all you need. Read up as much as you can. Not only is it good reading in general, but it'll really help you to speak confidently to people. Confidence is key. When somebody doesn't know what they're talking about, it's always obvious.

Signs
I really prefer to have a sign that says "president" on it somewhere, because we're still at the stage where we're having name recognition problems. This will save you precious speaking time in not having to explain that RP is running for president.

Getting Attention
So you've got your sign. It says "President * 2008," it's not one of those "Hope For America" or "R3VOLUTION" signs, right? Right? Right? Because we don't want to waste speaking time to explain that RP is running for president, right?

Sweet!

Now it's time to get some attention.

As people cruise by on the sidewalk, you're going to want to both talk to them and hand out campaign material. I've seen advice against this, but I like to lead with "hi sir, have you heard of Ron Paul?" From here, things can really vary. There is one common thread, though: most people can't help but blab something back to you in response. Our job is to use (okay, let's be honest, exploit) this information to make the strongest possible case for why RP should win their vote.

Some quick notes. Hopefully this goes without saying, but:

Always greet people using "sir" or "miss". You're asking for their time -- be respectful.
Don't use foul language, even if someone uses it towards you; actually, I think it's kind of funny when people are upset enough to walk up to me just to say FUCK RON PAUL, HE HATES AMERICA.
Don't pick fights (this is different from a quick mini-debate if someone is factually incorrect).
Avoid speaking too negatively about other candidates.
Smile, and for crying out loud, be pleasant.
Leave the iPod at home. You need to pay attention to answer questions.

The Golden Rule
PAY ATTENTION. Ron Paul has something for everybody. Making good observations will help you to target Ron Paul's message. This is perhaps most critical with military -- more on that below.

So let's cover strategies for several common scenarios.

You're Ignored
This happens a lot. Deal with it, and don't take it personally. There isn't much else to say here. If you feel comfortable, try to throw in a "ronpaul2008.com" or "have a nice day." If you say "have a nice day," then you had damn well better sound like you mean it. If you sound sarcastic, congratulations: you just hurt the campaign.

Are You Ron Paul?
Yes. Vote for me.

Ru Paul
!@#%^$#^@#$%.

We're Not From Here
May or may not be common depending on whether your city is a place of international tourist interest.

You actually do not want to ignore these people. They may have friends or relatives in the country!!

"He has a strong international following" is usually good for a laugh and keeping interest.

Folks from outside the US see us as an empire throwing a tantrum, so mention that RP wants to withdraw from Iraq ASAP and, moreover, wants to withdraw from Germany, Korea, Japan, etc. For Europeans in particular, this is an important issue.

Try to hand out a slim jim, and tell them to "tell any friends and family in the US."

Give Me The 30 Second Version
This one isn't all too uncommon.

Just go nuts and jam in as much as you can. If you can spill 5-6 of RP's positions in 30 seconds, it's usually enough to get the person to take a slim jim.

Ron Paul? Who is that?
Ah, our target audience.

I like to first hit on the fiscal conservatism. For most people, waste in Washington is "common knowledge" -- in other words, everybody can agree on this point.

So, for example: "Ron Paul is the only guy I would trust with my wallet. In 10 terms, he's never voted to increase taxes, never voted to increase his salary, and he runs such a tight ship that he returns a portion of his congressional office budget to the US Treasury every year."

Depending on where you live, you may want to add "Ron Paul will bring our troops home immediately." Alternatively, you can add "he's a strict constitutionalist -- if it's not authorized by the constitution, he doesn't vote for it."

This is usually just about all the time you have as someone is approaching you and walks by. But if they stop to chat...see below.

When is it Worth my Time to Ignore Other Pedestrians To Chat?
Always.

If somebody stops to talk to you, they just won the grand prize: your undivided attention. Answer all of their questions, and if they fit in to any of the categories below, proceed accordingly.

In my opinion, people who care enough to stop are 1) likely voters, and 2) likely the single source of political information for all of their friends. In other words, people who stop to talk to you are critical. Find common ground with them; again, Ron Paul has something for everyone. Be to the point and keep their attention as long as you can. RP's message takes time to digest, and the longer you keep folks interested, the more likely they are to tell their friends. Grass roots supporters like us can win people over ten times faster than talking heads on TV. We're political tutors.

I don't care how many opportunities walk by while you're chatting. Consider that between now and primary time, the person you're talking to, if you're successful, will probably tell everybody he or she knows about RP. Liberty is infectious -- that we're all posting on a forum deifying a brilliant-but-socially-goofy (come on, he is) 72 year old OB/GYN is proof enough. Take advantage of this.

If somebody else comes up to you during this conversation and asks about RP, do not ignore the first person. Instead, hand the second person some campaign material and tell them you'll be happy to get to them in a moment or direct them to another RP supporter.

Ron Paul is More Liberal than the Democrats!
Stop. This person is looking for a fight.

When somebody says this, they're showing their hand. For this person, the war is the number one issue. But they haven't said so yet, so take advantage of the situation and shut up.

The appropriate thing to do here is not to bring up the war. There's a very nearly 100% chance that you will not be able to persuade anybody who supports our presence in Iraq that we ought to leave. Do not do it.

Instead, note that RP is a strict constitutionalist and immediately (as in, before they get a chance to say "Iraq") mention RP's 100% record as determined by numerous watchdog organizations on the second amendment, right to life (good time to drop the OB/GYN bomb), and taxes/spending...and even that he's been married to the same woman for 50 years. Stress that his message has been the same for 30 years. Whether it clicks right then or not, this damns Giuliani the not-quite-conservative, and Romney the flip-flopper.

Many of the folks whom I've spoken to in this group have been pleasantly surprised to learn of RP's right to life record. This probably reflects dissatisfaction with Giuliani and Romney's positions as unacceptable and dubious respectively. If they mention Thompson's endorsement from National Right To Life, be sure to mention Thompson's pro-choice lobbying escapades.

Ron Paul Blames America!
Don't try to say RP doesn't blame America. If you do so, these people will shut their ears immediately. They've already made up their mind on this one. Don't try to hide RP's position. Instead, say something to bolster the credibility of RP's position.

For example, something like "so does our CIA, so does the 9/11 commission report, and so does the former head of the CIA's Bin Laden unit."

At this point, it's really your choice as to whether you want to proceed. But these people are appropriate subjects for a fun blowback argument. Try to use a workplace analogy or something...the guy who thinks he can get away with anything, never gets in trouble officially, but who everybody hates.

If you choose to debate, do not lose your temper even if the person you're debating does.

Edit: I should note here that I'm not saying RP blames America. I'm saying that when talking to folks like this, even the most academic discussion of blowback is probably pointless -- even if they were to understand with 100% clarity, they'd probably still say RP is blaming America. The question is whether you can get them to accept the facts presented by the CIA et al.

Military!!
70% of America is against the war, but soldiers can be a tough nut to crack on this issue, so special care needs to be taken.

If you see anything that identifies a person as military or having family in the military (army sweatshirts, navy hats, whatever), don't mention the war. Mention the VA and RP's military service instead.

Many military will argue that they're fighting for those who can't fight for themselves, and while this is both a noble cause and indeed in many ways true, it blinds folks to many credible reasons for withdrawing from Iraq.

Do not try to convince a soldier that we can't afford the war (borrowing from China). Do not try to convince a soldier of blowback and a non-interventionist foreign policy. Do not try to convince a soldier that this war is unconstitutional because it was undeclared.

Active military, especially the younger guys (and by young, I'm talking 18-20), may not realize how important the VA will be to them in the future. So, point out that they'll need someone to take care of them when they come home.

Older veterans will of course instantly be interested in RP's VA reforms.

RP's service is important to point out too, as it increases his credibility amongst military.

We Don't Need Another Republican
Just like the person above who showed their hand by calling RP liberal, this person too has shown their hand -- and again, to this person, the war is the number one issue. Just, in the opposite direction.

I'll usually say "do you want to actually bring the troops home?" The answer is always an emphatic yes. And now, you're golden -- tell them RP will bring the troops home ASAP instead of staying until 2013 like Hillary. Most people are dumbfounded and say "she wants to stay until when?"

I'm Voting for [Insert Democrat]
See above.

If we Leave Iraq, There Will be a Bloodbath
Ron Paul's argument is great here

The people who say this are the same who said the war would be a slam dunk.
It was wrong to go in, it's wrong to stay.
And, I like to add: arguing there will be a bloodbath means arguing to stay indefinitely.

The last point is useful for convincing anti-war Democrats for whom the idea of leaving Iraq ASAP seems inhumane. If a Democrat pushes for stabilizing the region before we leave, note that this goal is really not that different from what Bush was arguing for.

Ron Paul is a Truther/Racist/Anti-Semite
These folks need to be reassured that RP has nothing to do with these douchebags.

With respect to the racism/anti-semite issue, the best argument to make has already been posted by another user (wish I could give credit...if anybody recalls the poster's handle, tell me and I'll post it here): Ron Paul has written extensively that racism is an ugly manifestation of the collectivist principle that one's rights derive only from the groups to which one belongs. Ron Paul has a 30 year track record of arguing only for individual principles. Therefore, Ron Paul is not and cannot possibly be a racist.

Short form: Ron Paul's message of personal liberty is antithetical to the racist position.

If they mention the "fleet footed" comment from the newsletter, note that RP didn't write it, but took moral responsibility for it because it was his newsletter. Stress that he truly did take responsibility for it -- this isn't like some white dude dropping the n-bomb, getting caught, and then going on camera to say "durrr, sorry, I didn't mean it." Ron Paul proved himself by not throwing the actual writer under the bus.

If they mention truthers or donations from white supremacist groups, note that RP does not support any of these positions himself. RP's pro-constitution stance means that many fearful of being silenced flock to him. Regardless of how reprehensible what they might say is, much of it is protected first amendment speech.

Conclusion
That about does it. I reckon I may be re-posting updated versions of this guide as I gain more experience -- or editing a sticky, if I'm lucky.

Feel free to posts questions/suggestions and I'll update the guide.

Having trouble convincing a friend or family member? Post here, and I'll see if I can't extract a more general question to add to the FAQ.

Slist
11-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Great advice. Thank you for sharing your valuable experience

LBT
11-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Great advice!

May I suggest you try a proven old sales method in addition to this though?

That is, to ask them which issue is most important to the in the next election?

This allows you to focus in on what they are interested in. If the answer is very general, ask them questions to get a more specific answer.

Then offer if they would like to know how Ron Paul thinks about that issue.

Then do the same for other issues they care about, or just follow their questions.

leonster
11-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Great stuff.

Question for anyone who knows:

I'm really interested in going out and doing this. Problem: I'm in Korea right now. There IS a huge foreign community (lots of Americans, but not all--I'm American by the way, just teaching English here) in certain places, though, and I'd like to do this...

...is there a way to get SlimJims, signs, etc., sent to Korea? I'll pay shipping and all, just need to know if it can be done... thanks!

Eric21ND
11-17-2007, 09:45 AM
advice taken. thank you

wsc321
11-17-2007, 09:58 AM
On Military: Curious why you're not advocating we mention RP's lead in military donations?

On 911 Truth: I agree we should simply point out RP believes terrorists were behind the attacks and he does not support the various 911 Truth positions. That said, I find associating Americans who ask legitimate questions about 911 with racists or other morally indefensible groups to be a terribly unfair thing to do.

Plenty of folks request that we refrain from 911 "truth" discussion in these forums. As a supporter of 911 investigations as well as RP, I agree. But to request we abstain from the topic and then hurl insults at fellow Americans and fellow RP supporters whom you disagree with on the issue is obviously dishonorable - that's the "Red State" approach.

http://patriotsquestion911.com/

JustBcuz
11-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Great advice!

This allows you to focus in on what they are interested in. If the answer is very general, ask them questions to get a more specific answer.

Then do the same for other issues they care about, or just follow their questions.

I've had some good success opening conversations along these lines. Sometimes I'll open with this, before I've even mentioned Dr. Paul.

ME: What's your biggest issue right now?
THEM: The war, Immigration, etc.
ME: What if I told you there's a guy running who would...
THEM: :D:D:D

Keith
11-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Wow. Great advice. I always struggle knowing just how best to answer when someone asks me who Ron Paul is. They see the signs all over my car so I get the question all of the time. Thanks.

jrich4rpaul
11-17-2007, 11:13 AM
this is good stuff. a sticky sounds appropriate

strategos
11-17-2007, 11:27 AM
awesome, this is a great guideline for campaigning.

Adamsa
11-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Great stuff sir!

dircha
11-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Ron Paul Blames America!
Don't try to say RP doesn't blame America. If you do so, these people will shut their ears immediately. They've already made up their mind on this one. Don't try to hide RP's position. Instead, say something to bolster the credibility of RP's position.

For example, something like "so does our CIA, so does the 9/11 commission report, and so does the former head of the CIA's Bin Laden unit."

At this point, it's really your choice as to whether you want to proceed. But these people are appropriate subjects for a fun blowback argument. Try to use a workplace analogy or something...the guy who thinks he can get away with anything, never gets in trouble officially, but who everybody hates.

If you choose to debate, do not lose your temper even if the person you're debating does.

Edit: I should note here that I'm not saying RP blames America. I'm saying that when talking to folks like this, even the most academic discussion of blowback is probably pointless -- even if they were to understand with 100% clarity, they'd probably still say RP is blaming America. The question is whether you can get them to accept the facts presented by the CIA et al.

I tend to think your response assenting to their accusation of blaming America misrepresents our candidate. Ron Paul does not blame America, and he would be upset with you for suggesting that he does by assenting to their claim. Ron Paul blames the terrorists for what happened on 9/11. Blaming America suggests that the terrorists were somehow justified in doing what they did. Blame is not a neutral term.

So instead of saying either "no he does not" or as you suggest, "so does our CIA, etc...", jump right into telling them what he believes using an analogy as you suggest.

I believe a more useful response and analogy is as follows:

Radical Islam is like an angry wasp nest out in the back woods. If you go out and you bump into some wasps, you are going to get stung. You didn't deserve to be stung, but they're angry wasps, and they're going to sting you anyhow.

And if you go and poke their nest with a stick, those same wasps that stung you before are going to come after you again, only now they're going to bring their angry friends, and it's really going to hurt.

Now, you didn't deserve to be stung; no one wants wasps around. But there are a lot of wasp nests in the woods - have been before and will be again. You could spend all day poking at their nests, and at the end of the day there are still going to be a lot of wasps, only you're going to be hurting, they're going to be mad, and you're not going to be any better off.

So instead of chasing angry wasps in the woods, stay home and take care of what you've built, fix your screens, and have a can of Raid and a big swatter ready for when a stray one shows up in your yard to send a message to any others that might have been on their way.

DealzOnWheelz
11-17-2007, 12:38 PM
I tend to think your response assenting to their accusation of blaming America misrepresents our candidate. Ron Paul does not blame America, and he would be upset with you for suggesting that he does by assenting to their claim. Ron Paul blames the terrorists for what happened on 9/11. Blaming America suggests that the terrorists were somehow justified in doing what they did. Blame is not a neutral term.

So instead of saying either "no he does not" or as you suggest, "so does our CIA, etc...", jump right into telling them what he believes using an analogy as you suggest.

Great analogy!!!!!!!

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 12:42 PM
the best way to win support is to have one on one conversations, cause we don't want them to just vote for Ron Paul we want them to be inspired by Ron Paul, and it takes some inspirational talk to do that.

Listen to tony Robbins, see how he does it, I've learned a lot from listening to him.

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 12:46 PM

Wasps = White Anglo Saxon Protestants, lol, just funny if you read it with that in mind

Wayne Hammond
11-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Just have to bump this.

The first post in this thread is fantastic. Please read it.

Ron LOL
11-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Hi folks,
Felt like I wasn't doing enough to support RP today, so I thought I'd bump my FAQ with some replies.

Great advice!

It's not that I think this is a bad idea. Just, I prefer to try to make an educated guess at what issues are important to a passerby. It's just simpler for me to ask "have you heard of Ron Paul" than to ask "what's your most important issue in this election." Economy of time, economy of words.

Also, people can be pretty guarded politically -- they might not volunteer that kind of information right away.

But no, this isn't a bad idea, and I'll try to figure out a thoughtful way to work it in to my guide.

On Military: Curious why you're not advocating we mention RP's lead in military donations?
I really don't think this is an important statistic for military folks, to be honest. I'm sure it says something useful, but really, this statistic is most important in argument with folks who support the war and claim Ron Paul doesn't "support the troops," whatever the meaning du jour of everybody's favorite straw man might be. Does this make a bit more sense?

On 911 Truth: I agree we should simply point out RP believes terrorists were behind the attacks and he does not support the various 911 Truth positions. That said, I find associating Americans who ask legitimate questions about 911 with racists or other morally indefensible groups to be a terribly unfair thing to do.

Plenty of folks request that we refrain from 911 "truth" discussion in these forums. As a supporter of 911 investigations as well as RP, I agree. But to request we abstain from the topic and then hurl insults at fellow Americans and fellow RP supporters whom you disagree with on the issue is obviously dishonorable - that's the "Red State" approach.

http://patriotsquestion911.com/

Okay, I really don't want to start a fight here. We seem to agree that the truther stuff doesn't belong. I'll just say that I do find the "truther" position morally indefensible. I'll try to be less inflammatory in the future just for the sake of keeping this thread on topic.

I pretty firmly disagree here. This is, ultimately, a pointless semantics game with people arguing that Ron Paul "blames America." My point, which I stand by, is that if you respond to this argument by saying "no he doesn't," folks arguing this position will not listen to you. We know that there's a difference between "blaming America" and blowback. The "Ron Paul blames America" crowd is by definition unlikely to ever accept that there is a difference. So, in my opinion it's much more useful to just argue the credibility of Ron Paul's position rather than get in to a debate over what the meaning of "is" is. I think this is much more likely to win people over.

JustBcuz
11-21-2007, 12:45 AM
this is good stuff. a sticky sounds appropriate

Agreed.

Rusty John
11-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Another way to grab attention without spending money is the National Canvassing Weekend idea- having as many Paul supporters canvass their neighborhoods on the weekend of December1st and 2nd- each Paul supporter hits 200 houses in their neighborhood. This is the anniversary of Rosa Parks refusing to giveup her seat on the bus and the anniversary of John Brown's hanging...lol. Also the anniversary of Enron declaring bankruptcy. If we can get 40,000 supporters out for a couple ofhours each during the weekend that'd be 8 million households reached and that many more possible contributors for the Tea Party. It doesn't have to be anything fancy- just going door-to-door and handing out Slim Jims.

By the time this is over,Glenn Beck and the NeoCons will have labeled Rosa Parks a terrorist....lol.

torchbearer
11-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Definitely worth a sticky.

Ron LOL
11-21-2007, 11:11 PM

Just to better qualify what I was saying before, consider this paper (http://www.psychsystems.net/lab/06_Westen_fmri.pdf). You may have seen it already, but the point here is that in handling the "Ron Paul blames America" crowd, we're dealing with emotional response, not rational response. So if you've got ~10 seconds to respond as they walk by, it's best to argue the position that runs least contrary to what they believe, but still gets the point across.

Ron LOL
11-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Heading out again tonight. Thought I'd bump this.

TechnoGuyRob
11-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Wow. I was sad when I got to the end of it because it was so wonderful I wanted more. This is an excellent guide. :)

madRazor
11-29-2007, 12:38 AM
This thing rocks. My first batch of slim jims bumper stickers and stuff are (finally!) on the way and now I have something to study! Thanks!

Mark
11-30-2007, 11:52 PM
bumpin'

RevolutionSD
12-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Your post was overall pretty good until you called 9/11 truthers "douchebags". You may be completely satisfied with the official story but I can tell you that well over half my meetup group falls on the side of 9/11 truth. Like it or not, 9/11 truth is part of the Ron Paul Revolution. There is nothing wrong with wanting to know the truth, and it does not mean that we somehow know the truth and you don't.

Having said that I agree that we should just try to leave the subject out of the RP discussion when out there campaigning for him.

Also, I don't believe we need to call people "sir" and "miss."
I for one HATE being called sir.

Otherwise, nice job and keep up the good work!

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Excellent work. I learned quite a bit.

If you are in a group that contains a person who is a vet / prior service, have that guy talk to anyone in the military/military family category. They'll have more in common, and the conversation will carry more weight.

ronpaulyourmom
12-01-2007, 01:14 AM
great stuff.

Mark
12-01-2007, 08:35 AM
great stuff.

Word.

voiceactivated
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the excellent advice. I'm going to print this and give to my meetup group to study before we go canvassing.

You have one factual error however. Ron Paul has a huge international following. There are blogs and meetup groups all over the world. For example, Strasbourg, France is organizing a big December 15-16 European Tea Party to coincide with ours. People worldwide support Ron Paul not only because whatever the U.S. does effects them, but also because they are inspired by his messsage of freedom and liberty and want the same things for their countries. Google Ron Paul Worldwide and read all about it.

asgardshill
12-14-2007, 05:49 PM
What is the significance of handing out Slim Jims? I've not found a post here that explains it.