PDA

View Full Version : USDA uses Spanish radio "novelas" to push food stamp usage

Anti Federalist
07-13-2012, 12:19 AM
I can't get all the information up here, Daily Caller is formatting nightmare.

Worth the read.

USDA uses Spanish soap operas to push food stamps among non-citizens, citizens.

July 13, 2012

http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/12/usda-uses-spanish-soap-operas-to-push-food-stamp-participation-among-non-citizens-citizens/

The government has been targeting Spanish speakers with radio “novelas” promoting food stamp usage as part of a stated mission to increase participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), or food stamps.

Each novela, comprising a 10-part series called “PARQUE ALEGRIA,” or “HAPPINESS PARK,” presents a semi-dramatic scenario involving characters convincing others to get on food stamps, or explaining how much healthier it is to be on food stamps.

The majority of the episodes end with the announcer encouraging the listener to tune in again to see if the skeptic applies for benefits or learns to understand the importance of food stamps to their health.

“Will Claudia convince Ramon to apply for SNAP?” the announcer exclaims at the end of a standard episode titled “The Poet,” “Don’t miss our next episode of ‘HAPPINESS PARK.’”

<<snip>>

In the 1970s, one in 50 Americans were on food stamps — today that figure is one in seven. SNAP spending has doubled since 2008 and quadrupled since 2001.

English script of one episode:

EPISODE 7:

AT THE SUPERMARKET

PURPOSE: SHOWCASE THE MODERN EBT CARD.SETTING: NEIGHBORHOOD MARKETMYTH BUSTER:

MYTH: OTHER PEOPLE WILL KNOW I USE SNAP

FACT: THE SNAP EBT CARD MAKES IT DISCREET

:15 SECONDS MANDATORY INTROSFX: FOOD SCANNER IN THE BACKGROUND.

ANNCR:The United States Department of Agriculture, USDA, and its SupplementalNutrition Assistance Program, SNAP, are proud to present the radio mini-series“HOPE PARK” (The Park of Hope). Enjoy the show while you savor a delicious tuna fish sandwich. Let’s begin!

:10 SHOW TEASER

SFX: SUPERMARKET STORE. FOOD SCANNER IN THE BACKGROUND.

DIANA: (Gasps)Hello, Moni!

MONICA: Diana! What a surprise!

DIANA: (Surprised)And all that food?

MONICA: You see…I even had time to come to the supermarket.

DIANA: Are you going to have a party and you didn’t invite me?

MONICA: What?

DIANA: Well, what then? Explain yourself… you have chicken, eggs, tomatoes…look at all that food! How can you?

MONICA: With SNAP!

DIANA: (With an “I know it” attitude)Oh, SNAP.

MONICA: What can I tell you? SNAP helps you buy healthy foods during difficult times. Ineed the extra help.

DIANA: But, how did they approve you? Your husband found a job and...

MONICA: Well, we filled out the application and they approved us, and we both work. Why don’t you apply?

DIANA: (Doubtful)Me!…Did you decide on the name of the baby?

MONICA: Don’t change the subject.

DIANA: Look, it’s your turn to pay.(Pauses)Wait…don’t use food stamps in front of everybody!

MONICA: There’s no stamps. SNAP gives you a card.

DIANA: Wow, it looks like a bank card!

MONICA: Exactly, Diana. No one has to know. Apply. You could gain so much!

SFX: BIG STEEL STOMP. MUSIC THROUGH OUT.

CLIFFHANGER OPTION 1:

ANNCR: Will Diana finally apply for SNAP benefits? Don’t miss the next episode of HOPE PARK!

oyarde
07-13-2012, 12:42 AM
That means, they must have gotten one of the fat cash grants from your tax dollars to push it .

Origanalist
07-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Gag, the never ending push to make us all dependents.