PDA

View Full Version : What is the easiest, cheapest, and quickest way to start a PAC?

krott5333
11-17-2007, 07:16 AM
:confused:

jake
11-17-2007, 09:41 AM
bump. anyone able to help krott5333 out here?

torchbearer
11-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Ask Lord Xar. He started one.

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm inerested in this too

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 10:00 AM
We plan to start a political action committee. Any advice?

1. Determine the purpose of your PAC. Do you plan to contribute to numerous candidates? Will you participate in both federal and non-federal races? Is your PAC primarily in-state or multi-state? Do you intend to make independent expenditures? Your answers will determine the rules and agencies governing your PAC.

2. File a "Statement of Organization" with the appropriate election authority, such as the FEC, state ethics commission, secretary of state, board of elections, etc.

3. Appoint a treasurer before accepting contributions or making disbursements. Responsibilities include filing reports, depositing funds, keeping records and ensuring compliance with finance laws at all times, including non-election years. PACs cannot receive contributions or make disbursements when the treasurer's office is vacant.

4. Obtain a taxpayer ID number from the IRS. Apply for employer-identification number, even if committee has no staff. Be prepared to pay taxes on interest and dividends.

5. Open a checking account. On finance reports, list name and address of bank with PAC deposits.

6. Become familiar with rules governing PACs. Federal law allows certain bills to be paid directly by sponsoring organizations; for example: office space, phones, salaries, utilities, supplies, bank charges, and fundraising costs. Consult state and local laws to determine what is allowed.

Also, determine the rules on soliciting contributions from employees or members of labor unions. Federal law limits solicitations (no more than twice a year); prohibits direct solicitation at work (mail to home it permitted); and requires that individuals be informed of their right to refuse (and remain anonymous if non-participant or nominal contributor).

Finally, dissolve the committee when you expect no further PAC activity. This usually requires an affidavit signed by the treasurer stating that all reportable activity is complete.

Craig Varoga is a political consultant with offices in Taxes and California. Fax questions to 713-529-1998, or e-mail to cvaroga@ix.netcom.com.

COPYRIGHT 1996 Campaigns & Elections, Inc.
COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group

jgmaynard
11-17-2007, 10:04 AM
I've done it.

Here are the steps (should this be stickied?)

1) Download the papers you will need from your secretary of state's office to register as a PAC (in NH, it is a 2 page form and must be signed by 5 people). There will be a fee, in NH it was (IIRC) $100.

2) It will take a while to get the paperwork back so do step 1 ASAP. When you get your paperwork back from your SoS, go to a local bank and open a bank account in the PAC's name. They will help you register with the IRS (and your state tax bureaucracy if you have one, you poor souls...) plus you will have to talk to the Justice Dept. This is a telephone call that can (should) be made from the bank, they'll help smooth the way for you. They are checking for money funneling, it took me about 20 minutes.

At this point, you pretty much have a PAC. Hopefully, you've had people who have gotten your website going and mailing list ("Blah blah PAC coming soon, sign up on our mailing list") going while all of the above has been taking place.

Hope that helps.

JM

JosephTheLibertarian
11-17-2007, 10:13 AM
What's so great about a PAC?

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Let's you create a fund for Political Action, that doesn't have all the restrictions that a campaign does. It's how people get around the whole $2300 thing

skiingff
11-17-2007, 10:22 AM
He's not talking about a state PAC. He's talking about a federal PAC for a federal candidate.

You send a statement of organization in to the FEC and you have a PAC.

Please visit http://www.fec.gov

I've done it.

Here are the steps (should this be stickied?)

1) Download the papers you will need from your secretary of state's office to register as a PAC (in NH, it is a 2 page form and must be signed by 5 people). There will be a fee, in NH it was (IIRC) $100.

2) It will take a while to get the paperwork back so do step 1 ASAP. When you get your paperwork back from your SoS, go to a local bank and open a bank account in the PAC's name. They will help you register with the IRS (and your state tax bureaucracy if you have one, you poor souls...) plus you will have to talk to the Justice Dept. This is a telephone call that can (should) be made from the bank, they'll help smooth the way for you. They are checking for money funneling, it took me about 20 minutes.

At this point, you pretty much have a PAC. Hopefully, you've had people who have gotten your website going and mailing list ("Blah blah PAC coming soon, sign up on our mailing list") going while all of the above has been taking place.

Hope that helps.

JM

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 10:24 AM
same process still, just send the papers to someone different. Does the PAC have to be for certain candidate, or can it be a general purpose one.

skiingff
11-17-2007, 10:26 AM
same process still, just send the papers to someone different. Does the PAC have to be for certain candidate, or can it be a general purpose one.

Can be officially multicandidate status after 6 months I believe.

http://www.fec.gov/ans/answers_pac.shtml

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 10:29 AM
establishing a non-profit might be better for my intentions

jgmaynard
11-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah, actually, the PAC I did was a state PAC. My bad.

JM

JosephTheLibertarian
11-17-2007, 11:47 AM
moveon.org is a PAC. are they in every state?

Burns401
11-17-2007, 12:13 PM
moveon.org is a PAC. are they in every state?

They are a federal political committee registered with the FEC.

Does the PAC have to be for certain candidate, or can it be a general purpose one.

I created a "...committee that supports/opposes more than one Federal candidate..."; it is box (f) on question 5: "TYPE OF COMMITTEE". Right now, Liberty Surge does not meet all the requirements of being a multicandidate committee, as such, can contribute only a maximum of $2300 per candidate. A multicandidate committee can contribute up to $5000 per candidate. The requirements for being a multicandidate committee are available on the FEC website.

A helpful hint if you are completing FEC Form 1, complete ALL sections; even non-applicable sections (i.e. commonly question 6 is skipped).