PDA

View Full Version : How Republicans plan to win over the youth vote

devil21
07-10-2012, 09:20 PM
I thought this was worth a good laugh. First, you start by disenfranchising and thoroughly pissing off all of the young people that support Republican Ron Paul and his Liberty message. Then you hire somebody with the last name Bush to throw money at young neocons. Then after you've bought them off, you order them around and hope other young people are stupid enough to fall in line like lemmings. Is that about right?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/republicans-plan-win-over-youth-vote-195607913.html

Four years after Barack Obama won the support of 66 percent of voters aged 18 to 29, Republicans are working on a fresh approach to bring younger voters and candidates into the fold, using a coalition of traditional campaign organizations, super PACs, nonprofit advocacy groups and policy-based think tanks.

And even Republicans organizing these efforts admit it's going to take some work.

Two groups, the Young Guns Action Fund and Maverick PAC—the latter was co-founded by George P. Bush, nephew of former President George W. Bush and son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush—will focus on finding young Republican political talent and supporting them with money. The two organizations announced a strategic partnership Tuesday that organizers hope will increase engagement with voters that were lost to Obama in 2008. One short-term goal, of course, is to narrow the enthusiasm gap between young Republicans and Democrats, but ultimately, they're looking far beyond the next election.

more nonsense at link

Natural Citizen
07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
All of these Bushes keep popping up and blocking that last ray of sunshine keeping the land of the free and the home of the brave alive. I sure wish folks would stop fertilizing these weeds.

Philosophy_of_Politics
07-10-2012, 10:12 PM
I know how they're planning to win over the youth vote!

http://politics.slashdot.org/story/12/06/28/2059203/texas-gop-educational-platform-opposes-teaching-critical-thinking-skills

georgiaboy
07-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Is this something we should see as competition, or something for us to try and leverage for our young candidates and the younger part of our movement? I'd hope we can steer toward the latter. With our principles and experience as young Republicans, there oughta be a way for us to use this to our advantage.

Ivash
07-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Aye, the Republican Party has failed to attract the youth. I know several Republicans that are personally rooting for Obama in the hopes that he drags the econmy down so far that the youth will react by swinging Republican.

libertyfanatic
07-10-2012, 11:06 PM
This plan will fail

nobody's_hero
07-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Ohahah, so the main reason young people aren't involved with the GOP is because the young people lack funding to be politically involved with the GOP?

The GOP seems to be trying to hit everything but the bullseye. It's the message, fool. The GOP is still not ready to admit it must change its message of war, debt, and bailouts, so they come up with this.

EBounding
07-11-2012, 09:24 AM
It's true. The GOP is genuinely desperate for young people. But they don't want anyone associated with Ron Paul.

At my county convention in May, I gave a quick speech to the city caucus so I could be an alternate to the state convention. I talked about how I always voted Republican, my involvement with the College Republicans back in 2006 and how I campaigned for Bush in '04. I had no idea the county chairman was behind me. After I finished he said that I need to stay involved and take his place at some point because he's had several heart attacks :eek: . He had no idea I was a Paul supporter though since they were fighting the more "openly" pro-Paul people in the other caucuses to keep them out of the state convention.

Sorry GOP, you can't keep your cake and eat it too.

jbauer
07-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah I have no problem taking their money and using it to forward our cause.

Is this something we should see as competition, or something for us to try and leverage for our young candidates and the younger part of our movement? I'd hope we can steer toward the latter. With our principles and experience as young Republicans, there oughta be a way for us to use this to our advantage.