PDA

View Full Version : WA-State court rules text messages "not private", can be read by cops anytime.

Anti Federalist
07-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Court: Cops can read suspect's texts, spring text trap

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57467281-83/court-cops-can-read-suspects-texts-spring-text-trap/?tag=mncol;cnetRiver

by Elinor Mills

July 5, 2012 5:43 PM PDT

Police did not violate the privacy rights of a Washington state man who responded to a text message from the iPhone of his suspected drug dealer only to get arrested on drug charges after arranging to meet up, a Washington appeals court says.

Police had arrested Daniel Lee on drug charges and one officer searched through the text messages on Lee's iPhone, found some suspicious messages from a "Z-Jon" and texted from Lee's phone to ask if Z-Jon "needed more." Then, according to court papers, Z-Jon followed up with a message using drug slang and agreed to meet up with the police officer posing as Lee. That led to the arrest of Jonathan Roden, aka Z-Jon, and his subsequent conviction for attempted possession of heroin.

Roden appealed on the basis that the text messages should have been suppressed as evidence because they were protected under the Washington Privacy Act, which requires that police get consent before intercepting a private communication transmitted by telephone.

But the Washington Court of Appeals disagreed and said that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy with text messages just as there isn't with voice messages left on an answering machine that could be overheard by anyone. The court also said that Roden had implicitly given his consent to the use of the text messages because he understood that they are automatically recorded and stored on the device.

In a dissent, a judge said that under the state privacy law the police were required to get a search warrant to access the text messages, and suggested that the ruling could put any device at risk of search by police without a warrant.

"Under implied consent reasoning, a police officer's simple possession of a smartphone is sufficient to imply or infer consent of the communicating parties. This reasoning can easily and dangerously be extended to allow warrantless State searches of any digital device that police come to possess, all contrary to the Act itself," the dissent said "Following the majority's analysis, any communication that has a traceable electronic or paper trail will not be protected because consent to disclosure can be implied from the trail."

sailingaway
07-10-2012, 07:03 PM
hm. I get their reasoning, it is like when someone wears a wire. but my understanding is that is supposed to be ok only when one party to the private message is VOLUNTARILY giving up the info.

Anti Federalist
07-10-2012, 07:08 PM
hm. I get their reasoning, it is like when someone wears a wire. but my understanding is that is supposed to be ok only when one party to the private message is VOLUNTARILY giving up the info.

As always, they ran the tyranny ball down the field for another first down.

Now, that voluntary consent is assumed, just by virtue of the cop having possession of your phone.

My problem with this is that they equated it to answering machine messages, but, you would need a warrant to gain access to the machine.

If I'm reading this right, they just took this man's phone.

DGambler
07-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I have a password on my phone, it would never be given to a cop voluntarily.

specsaregood
07-10-2012, 07:12 PM
I have a password on my phone, it would never be given to a cop voluntarily.

What kind of phone do you have? I'd wager they can bypass that.

jkr
07-10-2012, 07:12 PM
FROM
MY
COLD
DEAD
HANDZ

Anti Federalist
07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
What kind of phone do you have? I'd wager they can bypass that.

One phone call to your service provider is all it would take.

specsaregood
07-10-2012, 07:34 PM

Probably no need to go through all that. They'll just plug the phone in and slurp it all off right there on the spot.

seraphson
07-10-2012, 08:38 PM

And another call to a lawyer to explain to INGSOC what the 4th Amendment is all about.

Remember boys and girls you can only have a Republic if you...if you...*little johnny stands up* keep it?
Good job Johnny!

specsaregood
07-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Probably no need to go through all that. They'll just plug the phone in and slurp it all off right there on the spot.
For reference sake:
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp

A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes. The device works with 3000 different phone models and can even defeat password protections.

"Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags," a CelleBrite brochure explains regarding the device's capabilities. "The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps."

The ACLU is concerned that these powerful capabilities are being quietly used to bypass Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable searches.

And another call to a lawyer to explain to INGSOC what the 4th Amendment is all about.
Remember boys and girls you can only have a Republic if you...if you...*little johnny stands up* keep it?
Good job Johnny!

IIRC, if the phone is visible it is in plain site and thus no warrant is needed.

enjerth
07-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Do they need a warrant to access a personal computer for data?

Because a smart phone is a personal computer, and the data on it can be just as sensitive as the data in your file cabinet.

nobody's_hero
07-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Is it just me, or is the standard for "reasonable expectation of privacy" dwindling to nothing these days?

"Oh you were in your bathroom taking a crap? Well, there's no reasonable expectation of privacy because there are probably ants and roaches watching you while you poop. So that's why the cops busted in on you in the bathroom without a warrant. We're right. You're wrong, mundane."

DGambler
07-11-2012, 03:10 PM
If you have an Android phone, just run this: Cache Clear (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.menue.cacheclear&hl=en)