PDA

View Full Version : Woman dubbed 'vodka mom by Nancy [dis]Grace dies after setting self on fire

farreri
07-10-2012, 02:34 PM
A woman who was dubbed “vodka mom” by CNN Headline News Network host Nancy Grace has died after setting herself on fire in her mother’s Cottage Grove, MN back yard, according to Minneapolis-St. Paul Fox affiliate station KMSP. Toni Medrano accidentally smothered her newborn son last November after drinking a bottle of vodka and passing out next to the baby on the sofa.

On November 22, the new mother drank a fifth of vodka as she lay next to her three-week-old son, Adrian. She passed out and rolled over on the infant in her sleep. When she woke up, the baby was dead. Medrano was charged with two counts of manslaughter last month in Washington County court.

It was shortly after the sentencing that Nancy Grace produced a segment about Medrano for her Headline News Network show, “Nancy Grace.”

“Why no ‘murder one?’” she demanded, outraged at the lighter manslaughter charges. She then cracked open a bottle of cheap vodka and started pouring drinks in an effort to show how many drinks Medrano downed the night her baby died, insisting that a mother who showed such reckless disregard for her child’s safety should be hit with a charge of first-degree murder. It was during the segment that Grace coined the term “Vodka Mom” for Medrano.

Medrano’s mother, Yvonne Hill told Fox 9 that her daughter was trying to move on when the segment aired, than in the months since the death of Adrian Medrano, Toni had been trying to “build and move on,” but when she saw the segment, “it broke her spirit in the worst way.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/10/woman-dubbed-vodka-mom-by-nancy-grace-dies-after-setting-self-on-fire/

RP Supporter
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
So wow. This is two women Nancy Grace has inspired to kill themselves. I wonder if she gets a thrill from it.

libertyfanatic
07-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Nancy Grace is a worthless tool.

kathy88
07-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I absolutely loathe the sight of that woman.

LibertyEagle
07-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I absolutely loathe the sight of that woman.

Me too.

May she burn in hell.

Dr.3D
07-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Isn't what she is like what would you expect from what I understand is a former prosecuting attorney?

She shouldn't even be on TV. In her mind, everybody is guilty long before they even go to court.

coastie
07-10-2012, 03:54 PM
And yet, she's worth $18 million and makes $5 mil/year.
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/nancy-grace-net-worth/

As long as people read her books and watch her shows, she will continue to provide what they want.

My personal feelings on suicide preclude me blaming her for their ultimate decisions, but I agree if there is a hell, she should be banished to the sewer of it.

coastie
07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Isn't what she is like what would you expect from what I understand is a former prosecuting attorney?

She shouldn't even be on TV. In her mind, everybody is guilty long before they even go to court.

Yeah, that, too. I remember watching people's reactions to her show over the years, and they all think exactly like her.

MelissaWV
07-10-2012, 04:57 PM
I loathe her and her viewers, but I'm pretty sure that someone who drank and passed out and whose baby died as a result of that behavior is going to be 100% stable to begin with.

Chester Copperpot
07-10-2012, 05:17 PM
do we get to charge nancy grace with murder one now?

Anti Federalist
07-10-2012, 10:15 PM
I just read up on this, as, honestly, I didn't know anything about this case.

What a filthy piece of shit, my god.

Grace that is.

If "online bullies" can be prosecuted, I don't see any reason why she shouldn't be.

(Not that I agree with any of that, but, fire with fire and so on)

Sullivan*
07-11-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm gonna say it, not because I think it's appropriate, it's not... I'm gonna say it because it's Nancy Grace.

CUNT.

Justinfrom1776
07-11-2012, 12:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2luB5kwSymA

kcchiefs6465
07-11-2012, 12:31 AM
do we get to charge nancy grace with murder one now?
Someone should pour cups of gas, to show how many cups she lit on fire. A tragic story all the way around.

angelatc
07-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Someone should pour cups of gas, to show how many cups she lit on fire. A tragic story all the way around.

There's a YouTube video in there somewhere....a burning Nancy Grace. How could that not get a million hits?

Kluge
07-11-2012, 03:41 AM
I'm gonna say it, not because I think it's appropriate, it's not... I'm gonna say it because it's Nancy Grace.

CUNT.

It's a rare case that I'll agree with that term...

satchelmcqueen
07-11-2012, 02:08 PM
grace should be charged with manslaughter since this is now 2 women who have killed themselves because of her horse ass mouth. i hate grace. she is a fucking scumbag of the worst kind. burn in hell nancy.

thequietkid10
07-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Look to say I'm not a fan of Nancy Grace would be a huge understatement. But this woman drank an entire bottle of vodka and her child is DEAD because of that. That make her a pretty shitty human being and she should labeled as such. Whether it's "Vodka Mom" or "pretty shitty human being" is irrelevant.

coastie
07-11-2012, 02:29 PM
grace should be charged with manslaughter since this is now 2 women who have killed themselves because of her horse ass mouth. i hate grace. she is a fucking scumbag of the worst kind. burn in hell nancy.

Manslaughter? Why? Can't blame suicide on what someone else said to them. It was their decision, and their decision only to kill themselves.

kathy88
07-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Look to say I'm not a fan of Nancy Grace would be a huge understatement. But this woman drank an entire bottle of vodka and her child is DEAD because of that. That make her a pretty shitty human being and she should labeled as such. Whether it's "Vodka Mom" or "pretty shitty human being" is irrelevant.

No, it makes her an alcoholic.

Dr.3D
07-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Exactly! The woman apparently has a drinking problem. That doesn't make her a "pretty shitty human being", it makes her a sick person in need of a physician.

thequietkid10
07-11-2012, 02:43 PM

Still her choice to raise that kid. She made the choice that despite her addiction to alcohol that she could raise another being, and not put it up for adoption. She made the choice to drink not at a table, not on another bed, but right next to her kid (despite previous warnings from her baby's father). I don't know if she was seeking help for her addiction prior to the death of the baby addiction, but that's another choice. She made the choice to drink enough to become an alcoholic in the first place.

thoughtomator
07-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Grace is pure evil, but keeping this in perspective, she doesn't have anywhere close to the body count of, say, Christiane Amanpour, to her credt.

kathy88
07-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Still her choice to raise that kid. She made the choice that despite her addiction to alcohol that she could raise another being, and not put it up for adoption. She made the choice to drink not at a table, not on another bed, but right next to her kid (despite previous warnings from her baby's father). I don't know if she was seeking help for her addiction prior to the death of the baby addiction, but that's another choice. She made the choice to drink enough to become an alcoholic in the first place.

Alcoholism has little to do with choice. I'm not going to get into it with you here, but by the time that poor woman killed her own child, she had no choices.

Pericles
07-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Grace is pure evil, but keeping this in perspective, she doesn't have anywhere close to the body count of, say, Christiane Amanpour, to her credt.

I think Grace is trying to catch up.

Dr.3D
07-11-2012, 02:57 PM
You make it sound so simple. Perhaps you don't understand what it is like to have an alcohol problem. Most people with that problem don't know they have it till they are hooked on it. That is not a choice she made, she drank and then found out later she had a problem. It's not easy to kick that problem either. It takes a great deal of determination and help from others to do it.

People who have this problem, don't always make the best decisions either. When under the influence of alcohol, common sense often takes a backseat to what would be considered proper behavior. I'm pretty sure, the woman was sick in more ways than one. After having accidentally caused the death of her baby I'm pretty sure she was suffering from extreme grief, guilt and depression.

Now with both of those problems, she sees some dumb bat on television telling everybody how bad she is and that is enough to push her over the edge. The woman needed help and instead, she was publicly ostracized.

Anti Federalist
07-11-2012, 03:00 PM
I loathe her and her viewers, but I'm pretty sure that someone who drank and passed out and whose baby died as a result of that behavior is going to be 100% stable to begin with.

Yup, and nothing like some nationwide, coast to coast public humiliation to push her right over the edge.

Anti Federalist
07-11-2012, 03:07 PM

Yes, certainly she is to blame here, but that's not the point.

The point is this harridan is on nationwide TV calling for this woman's head, and murder one charges to be brought against her, is facilitating another important but seldom talked about aspect of the massive police state closing in around us:

The criminalization of stupid shit and accidents.

This is similar to the dad in TN that is being charged with felony child abuse, for leaving his young toddler in hot car. (The child was OK)

Now, that family is destroyed, that man's life is more than likely ruined forever, all over a stupid mistake that, in the end, no one was harmed by.

And before anybody starts bellowing about how "they should held be accountable for that!!", ask yourself, when was the last stupid mistake you made?

thequietkid10
07-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Yes, certainly she is to blame here, but that's not the point.

The point is this harridan is on nationwide TV calling for this woman's head, and murder one charges to be brought against her, is facilitating another important but seldom talked about aspect of the massive police state closing in around us:

The criminalization of stupid shit and accidents.

This is similar to the dad in TN that is being charged with felony child abuse, for leaving his young toddler in hot car. (The child was OK)

Now, that family is destroyed, that man's life is more than likely ruined forever, all over a stupid mistake that, in the end, no one was harmed by.

And before anybody starts bellowing about how "they should held be accountable for that!!", ask yourself, when was the last stupid mistake you made?

I guess I just don't understand what it is like to be alcoholic. I understand that mistakes happen, but when I look at this I don't see an accident I see a pattern of reckless decisions.

I don't know about father in the TN case, particularly regarding how long he left his kid in the car. But children who are incapable of rolling down windows and stepping outside of hot cars die "all the time." Clearly the father wasn't away from the car long enough to kill his kid. (or was it someone else who opened the door, which opens a whole new can of worms) But that doesn't mean he was acting with his child's welfare in mind. I concede though that no one can know what is in the fathers mind, so we can't punish him, solely on that.

jkr
07-11-2012, 04:11 PM
she will be judged by her own measure

AGRP
07-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Of course it wasn't murder one. I'm just about convinced the purpose of actors like her are to foster a hateful and murderous attitude amongst the public. Then when the actors on the rest of tv fuel the hate against "evil" Muslims and peaceful protesters the public will be much more likely to want to go to war with them.

PaulConventionWV
07-11-2012, 05:35 PM

This is about the obvious consequence of publicy ridiculing someone. Of course she was unstable. The point is that Nancy Grace's segment pretty obviously pushed her over the edge.

PaulConventionWV
07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
The charges of manslaughter were appropriate for what happened. As far as I'm concerned, Nancy Grace should be charged with a couple of manslaughter counts of her own. That's irony for ya.

asurfaholic
07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
What a way to go out... jeez.. set yourself on fire? Man I can think of at least 100 ways id prefer to kill myself.

BuddyRey
07-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Nancy Grace is a disgusting excuse for a human being. Even those ambushing harpies on "The Insider" have more journalistic integrity.

PaulConventionWV
07-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Manslaughter? Why? Can't blame suicide on what someone else said to them. It was their decision, and their decision only to kill themselves.

I said she should be charged with manslaughter, too, but admittedly, I wasn't serious. Legally, what she did doesn't make her a killer. It just makes her the worst kind of person.

PaulConventionWV
07-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Exactly! The woman apparently has a drinking problem. That doesn't make her a "pretty shitty human being", it makes her a sick person in need of a physician.

Exactly! Nancy Grace, on the other hand...

PaulConventionWV
07-11-2012, 05:55 PM
You make it sound so simple. Perhaps you don't understand what it is like to have an alcohol problem. Most people with that problem don't know they have it till they are hooked on it. That is not a choice she made, she drank and then found out later she had a problem. It's not easy to kick that problem either. It takes a great deal of determination and help from others to do it.

People who have this problem, don't always make the best decisions either. When under the influence of alcohol, common sense often takes a backseat to what would be considered proper behavior. I'm pretty sure, the woman was sick in more ways than one. After having accidentally caused the death of her baby I'm pretty sure she was suffering from extreme grief, guilt and depression.

Now with both of those problems, she sees some dumb bat on television telling everybody how bad she is and that is enough to push her over the edge. The woman needed help and instead, she was publicly ostracized.

I side with you on the issue. This woman obviously had a problem with alcohol.

However, I've never understood alcohol addiction. Alcoholism ran in my family. As a kid, I was pretty determined to avoid it. In college, however, due to a number of circumstances, I gave in and got blackout drunk week after week for months which ended up with me dropping out of school. I was never addicted, though. I drank because I wanted to. Immediately after I left school, I became stone cold sober with no effrot at all and I have stayed that way since, save for the occasional beer with friends here and there, and I'm talking months between each occasion, never getting more than a little tipsy. I never even had the desire to drink when I came home, any more than I did before I started drinking. This may be because I was around friends a lot less often, but an alcoholic will drink regardless, right? I've just never understood how someone gets addicted to alcohol.

PaulConventionWV
07-11-2012, 06:00 PM
What a way to go out... jeez.. set yourself on fire? Man I can think of at least 100 ways id prefer to kill myself.

She probably wanted to make it newsworthy.

kathy88
07-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I side with you on the issue. This woman obviously had a problem with alcohol.

However, I've never understood alcohol addiction. Alcoholism ran in my family. As a kid, I was pretty determined to avoid it. In college, however, due to a number of circumstances, I gave in and got blackout drunk week after week for months which ended up with me dropping out of school. I was never addicted, though. I drank because I wanted to. Immediately after I left school, I became stone cold sober with no effrot at all and I have stayed that way since, save for the occasional beer with friends here and there, and I'm talking months between each occasion, never getting more than a little tipsy. I never even had the desire to drink when I came home, any more than I did before I started drinking. This may be because I was around friends a lot less often, but an alcoholic will drink regardless, right? I've just never understood how someone gets addicted to alcohol.

You are obviously not an alcoholic, then. Alcoholics can't just stop. My personal belief is that there's a physical difference between alcoholics and those that can just stop, or not imbibe at all. I look at it like an allergy. I am allergic to alcohol. If I have one drink, I'm done. My decision making capabilities shit the bed immediately. My entire personality changes. I'm allergic. Every time I drink, I break out. In handcuffs. LOL.

Anti Federalist
07-11-2012, 10:59 PM
I've just never understood how someone gets addicted to alcohol.

I've smoked and done "other things" that people get addicted to as well, and walked away with little problem.

Born this way, is the most simple way to describe it.

Some people's brains are wired in such a way that usage of certain chemicals rewires their conscious brain in ways that they cannot control.

Then there are some folks that just like to get wasted and do so, every chance they get.

That is systemic in the population as a whole, as somebody else posted, and they are quite right, very few people actually think and plan what they are going to do in a day, let alone ten years from now.

They just react to stimuli as it is presented to them on a minute by minute, second by second basis.