PDA

View Full Version : Chris Christie: War on Drugs a 'failure'

emazur
07-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Doesn't sound like he's pushing for legalization though.

“For all first-time non-violent drug offenders, we have to make drug treatment mandatory,” Christie said. “Because, if you’re pro-life, as I am, you can’t be pro-life just in the womb. Every life is precious, and every one of God’s creatures can be redeemed, but they won’t be if we ignore them.”

“We have the obligation to understand that addiction is a disease and that we need to give people a chance to overcome that disease and restore dignity and meaning to their lives,” he added.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/09/christie-war-on-drugs-a-failure/#ixzz20C72VbF5

LibertyEagle
07-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Yeah, that was the same speech in which he remarked that New Jersey's constitution gave the governor the power of a dictator. After he got through telling everyone how much he liked that, he talked about how much he admired Napoleon Bonaparte and Caesar.

Such a great guy. :rolleyes:

specsaregood
07-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Yeah, he did a lot of that kind of talk when he was running for governor. Yet, how did he decide to deal with an overflowing NJ prison population and a correctional system that was over budget? Add another bed in the cells.... when 30% of the people in prison in his state are there for nonviolent drug crimes.

Anti Federalist
07-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Yeah, that was the same speech in which he remarked that New Jersey's constitution gave the governor the power of a dictator. After he got through telling everyone how much he liked that, he talked about how much he admired Napoleon Bonaparte and Caesar.

Such a great guy. :rolleyes:

Oh lord, fat authoritarians.

http://forum.pipes.org/messages/8859/77988.jpg

http://www.gagbay.com/images/2012/05/eatler-76833.jpg

Peace Piper
07-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Big Boy gets it 100% wrong.

The "Drug War" has been one of the most successful Federal programs ever undertaken.

Demonizing 10% of the population for smoking flowers, eradicating the 4th amendment (even before the Terriors), setting up roadblocks, and installing intrusive banking regulations (know your customer) while mass media sells pills 24/7 for Big Pharma is one of the most despicable things that has *EVER* happened to this young republic. This has turned Citizen upon fellow Citizen.

And if it wasn't for Cannabis, there wouldn't be enough numbers to make any part of this acceptable to the masses that used to be "Americans". It took an amendment to criminalize Alcohol but that was when Americans knew their history and constitution.

It's very sad that there doesn't seem to be a single "reporter" or "journalist" that can do the basic research to find the fact that the Federal Government holds a patent on the medical use of cannabinoids, while saying that there is no medical use and therefore this plant must be prohibited and police state measures must be maintained to keep it suppressed.

Fed Patent #6,630,507
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6630507.PN.&OS=PN/6630507&RS=PN/6630507

Daily Paul thread:
http://www.dailypaul.com/153097/us-government-owns-the-patent-on-cannabis-cures

Thankfully Ron Paul was one of the only people to speak out about this horrible policy. But not enough people listened.

So now we have yet another federal leviathan that will take a massive effort to eliminate, if that is even possible at this point.

The Rebels that fought the Brits have been reduced to peeing in cups to keep their diminishing jobs.

That, Mr. Big Boy, is a *RESOUNDING* success for the authoritarians.

Now have another ice cream cone, you creep.

QuickZ06
07-10-2012, 03:45 AM
Seems he has had the munchies a few times himself.......

kcchiefs6465
07-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Seems he has had the munchies a few times himself.......
Jon Stewart did a piece on where he says he will fight the federal government tooth and nail over regulations on state sponsored gaming. Another speech he said states shouldn't be in the business of fighting the federal government for the right to legalize medicinal marijuana. The man has no principles.. no understanding of the Constitution.. and no back bone. Except when it is convenient and beneficial for him to do so. Just another poliTICKing politician.

FSP-Rebel
07-10-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm just hoping this comes off to the republican boobs as a potential mental shift in policy. Can only give our wing some cred in the overall scheme of things. I hope

Keith and stuff
07-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Chris Christie has been the most outspoken drug warrior with power in NJ for quite a while. His tactics delayed medical marijuana from happening in NJ again and again. Maybe he has changed his mind. That would be nice.

Lafayette
07-10-2012, 12:51 PM
“Because, if you’re pro-life, as I am, you can’t be pro-life just in the womb. Every life is precious, and every one of God’s creatures can be redeemed, but they won’t be if we ignore them.”

Says the big government fat man who has no qualms about supporting illegal and unconstitutional wars for Israel,dollar hegemony and oil. :rolleyes:

CaptainAmerica
07-10-2012, 12:52 PM
In other words he wants reform ,and more power.

tod evans
07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Chris Christie has been the most outspoken drug warrior with power in NJ for quite a while. His tactics delayed medical marijuana from happening in NJ again and again. Maybe he has changed his mind. That would be nice.

Paint a leopard black.....he's still a leopard.

CaptUSA
07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
"The war on drugs is a failure!" (because we haven't tried hard enough.)

I think this is what he's really saying. He's not against the war at all, he's against the war failing.

mczerone
07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
"The war on drugs is a failure!" (because we haven't tried hard enough.)

I think this is what he's really saying. He's not against the war at all, he's against the war failing.

Exactly. He just wants to be in charge, to mandate "treatment programs" for all first time offenders.

He says it's "to give people a chance" - just like electroshock therapy was giving political dissidents a "chance" in the early 20th century. It's not about giving them chances to improve their lives, it's about funneling money into "faith-based" programs and other organizations.

You want to give them a chance, make your community better, and save tax-payer dollars? REFUSE TO PROSECUTE PEACEFUL PEOPLE.

You want to see a county actually implement this policy? Check my sig.

Valli6
07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
First, he says the drug war is a failure - as if he thinks it should be stopped - but then admits he just wants to expand on it with mandatory minimum 1 year treatment while incarcerated! As if there aren't already drug treatment programs! This is bullshit!

“For all first-time non-violent drug offenders, we have to make drug treatment mandatory,” Christie said. “Because, if you’re pro-life, as I am, you can’t be pro-life just in the womb. Every life is precious, and every one of God’s creatures can be redeemed, but they won’t be if we ignore them.”
What he's saying is that all "first-time non-violent drug offenders" will spend a year in jail ( or "in house" as Christie puts it :rolleyes:) getting mandatory drug treatment! :mad: He's not repealing any laws!

kathy88
07-10-2012, 02:00 PM
“We have the obligation to understand that addiction is a disease and that we need to give people a chance to overcome that disease and restore dignity and meaning to their lives,” he added.

So is overeating Governor. You should go to overeaters anonymous, manditorily.

coastie
07-10-2012, 03:47 PM
So is overeating Governor. You should go to overeaters anonymous, manditorily.

No kidding, I could burn a fat one and go bike a couple dozen miles and be perfectly fine, he'd die just from the effort to get on the bike - if we could find one with a seat wide enough.

DerailingDaTrain
07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Christie wants people to be forced into rehab instead of going to jail.

trey4sports
07-10-2012, 03:58 PM
a least the rhetoric is a bit better.

specsaregood
07-10-2012, 04:03 PM
a least the rhetoric is a bit better.

actually, its a bit worse than his rhetoric when he was a candidate for governor 2 years ago.

jkr
07-10-2012, 04:18 PM
"i'll show youz how to winz it...HERE EAT THIS DOUGHNUTZ"

"remember to gamble!"

Bruno
07-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Christie wants people to be forced into rehab instead of going to jail.

In addition to, not instead of.

misean
07-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Even though he is a statist, Christie is my second favorite current governor after Puerto Rico's. He's doing an amazing job with the budget issues in NJ.

DerailingDaTrain
07-11-2012, 08:13 PM
In addition to, not instead of.

Well...how is that an improvement?

malkusm
07-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Oh lord, fat authoritarians.

Look on the bright side....at least they won't try to ban large sodas.

kcchiefs6465
07-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Well...how is that an improvement?
It isn't. I believe that is what Bruno was trying to convey.

emazur
07-20-2012, 04:20 PM
This article said he just signed a bill to mandate treatment instead of jail time:

He just signed a law to mandate treatment rather than jail time for nonviolent drug offenders.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/if_chris_christie_is_soft_on_drugs_StziL27JPVjHezC KrZ0RQI#ixzz21ChhsIG5

proudclod229
07-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Here's the bigger issue: most people who use ganja AREN'T addicted....to anything.

There is a pretty clear line between use and abuse, but they don't even wanna give a crap about that fact.

Should i have to pay for people to pat me down for a simple bag of weed, and then pay for "treatment"?!?! Gimme a break.

I'm pretty sure most people think along those lines here, but still, it needs pointing out.

emazur
07-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Here's the bigger issue: most people who use ganja AREN'T addicted....to anything.

There is a pretty clear line between use and abuse, but they don't even wanna give a crap about that fact.

Should i have to pay for people to pat me down for a simple bag of weed, and then pay for "treatment"?!?! Gimme a break.

I'm pretty sure most people think along those lines here, but still, it needs pointing out.

If you go for "treatment", I assume they will try to convince you there are only 3 lights when if fact there are four
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120523132636/memoryalpha/en/images/4/4f/Madred%2C_four_lights.jpg

(that's from Star Trek in case anyone doesn't know what this is)

proudclod229
07-20-2012, 05:18 PM
If you go for "treatment", I assume they will try to convince you there are only 3 lights when if fact there are four
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120523132636/memoryalpha/en/images/4/4f/Madred%2C_four_lights.jpg

(that's from Star Trek in case anyone doesn't know what this is)

Not to mention: nobody will even recognize the fact that using psychedelics(mushrooms, peyote, dmt etc..) to treat addiction has the highest success rate.

Nice reference haha