PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul doesn't get a single vote in NH straw poll?

Just Come Home
11-17-2007, 03:43 AM
What's going on here?

Romney takes local straw poll

By Nancy Rineman
hamptonunion@seacoastonline.com
November 16, 2007 6:00 AM
More than 50 Republicans gathered at the Pelican Club at the Galley Hatch Restaurant in Hampton on Tuesday evening for some socializing and a bit of politicking.

Jeb Bradley, who is running to regain his 1st Congressional District seat, stopped by briefly before another engagement, greeting some for a second time after speaking at the Hampton Rotary Club that morning. The war on terror, taxes, health care, and immigration were key issues addressed by Bradley.

Rockingham County Attorney Jim Reams also spoke and took the opportunity to campaign for votes for his re-election. Reams said he supports former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney for president.

Along with the banter and refreshments, a silent auction and straw poll was held. Of the Republican presidential candidates, Romney was the favorite, followed closely by former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and then Sen. John McCain of Arizona. A few supported former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, and Congressman Tom Tancredo of Colorado and former Sen. Fred Thompson got one vote apiece.

Ansell Palmer, well known to many in Hampton, wore a McCain sticker at Tuesday's event.

"We need a change and I'm sure the Republican Party will supply that change," Palmer said.

There were several speeches of endorsement, including that of Doug Scamman of Stratham, former state representative and Speaker of the NH House. Scamman is supporting Giuliani.

"I listen to all the candidates," Scamman said. "I always liked Rudy early on."

Scamman talked about Giuliani reducing crime in New York City by more than 50 percent.

"He answers every question and looks people in the eye," Scamman said. "He is an administrator we need as president of the United States that can talk to people and (they) know where he's at."

Jim Coburn, a former gubernatorial candidate in New Hampshire, talked about his choice for president. Coburn said Huckabee is the candidate needed to pull the nation together "to heal the fractures."

Coburn said that as governor of Arkansas for 10 years, Huckabee has more experience than any other candidate.

"Why isn't he running No. 1?" Coburn asked. "He's got the experience but not the money."

Coburn said Huckabee is "climbing fast," with a good plan for health care and education and a good speech for immigration.

State Rep. Nancy Stiles of Hampton said Sen. McCain is the right person at this time to be in the Oval Office. "We need a strong leader, someone we can trust," she said.

Stiles said McCain has fought against special interest groups and understands the fundamental challenges of Islamic extremists.

"He is committed to education and affordable health care," Stiles said. "He is experienced yet he has not lost his common sense."

Chris Nevins, Hampton Republican Town chairman, reminded members that as a grassroots organization, everyone is needed to carry on the Republican message to those living in Hampton and beyond. He defined those values as being lower taxes, a strong national defense and a smaller, yet more effective, government, all of which are most easily facilitated through accountability of the free enterprise system.

GRAND OLD PARTY

Anyone with an interest in becoming involved with Hampton's Republican Committee should contact Chris Nevins at 926-3736.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071116/NEWS/711160343/-1/NEWS

jrich4rpaul
11-17-2007, 03:48 AM
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/straw-poll-results/

It's not even on the results page. Maybe he wasn't on the list of candidates?

Lord Xar
11-17-2007, 05:39 AM
I have to find this VERY VERY FUNNY, and VERY VERY SAD....

WHY?

Out of ALL the straw polls Ron Paul has won, or placed second... NOTHING, not a single blog or news story.... maybe 1 or 2 at most..

YET... here is a straw poll RON PAUL does not win, and there is a story about it - miraculous.

We should have an experiment. DO NOT VOTE in the next one or straw polls, see what kind of news there is about it.... THEN have Ron be in the next ones.. then watch.. nothing.

Do these straw polls matter? I mean c'mon. Dr. Paul has placed 1st or 2nt in most of them, and I have not seen ANYTHING!

Paulitician
11-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Ansell Palmer, well known to many in Hampton, wore a McCain sticker at Tuesday's event.

"We need a change and I'm sure the Republican Party will supply that change," Palmer said.
You mean the current neo-conservative (read: liberal) Republican? Like those who cling to Bush's every word? They're the ones who are going to supply change? Don't hold your breath.

There were several speeches of endorsement, including that of Doug Scamman of Stratham, former state representative and Speaker of the NH House. Scamman is supporting Giuliani.

Scamman talked about Giuliani reducing crime in New York City by more than 50 percent.
Wow, what a lie.

"He answers every question and looks people in the eye," Scamman said.
Yeah right. He answers every question? LOL, give me a break here. He's probably the most evasive and dishonest Republican currently running.

"He is an administrator we need as president of the United States that can talk to people and (they) know where he's at."
Please. Giuliani is a constant flip-flopper, worse than even Kerry or Romney. How are you going to "know where he's at" when he changes his positions all the time, and never answers questions honestly?

Jim Coburn, a former gubernatorial candidate in New Hampshire, talked about his choice for president. Coburn said Huckabee is the candidate needed to pull the nation together "to heal the fractures."
Pathetic.

Coburn said that as governor of Arkansas for 10 years, Huckabee has more experience than any other candidate.

"Why isn't he running No. 1?" Coburn asked. "He's got the experience but not the money."
He doesn't have the money because he has no support. He's a media created lie. Stop believing the bullshit

State Rep. Nancy Stiles of Hampton said Sen. McCain is the right person at this time to be in the Oval Office. "We need a strong leader, someone we can trust," she said.
When has McCain ever shown leadership? And he's someone we can trust? You've got another thing coming, darling.

Stiles said McCain has fought against special interest groups
Wrong.

and understands the fundamental challenges of Islamic extremists.
You mean those the government created and is creating with its crappy foreign policies? Tell me about it.

"He is committed to education and affordable health care," Stiles said. "He is experienced yet he has not lost his common sense."
I wouldn't be so quick to say that McCain hasn't lost his common sense there, lady.

lower taxes
You're not going to get that with the neo-cons you want to elect.

a strong national defense
Not that either.

and a smaller, yet more effective, government
Keep dreaming.

all of which are most easily facilitated through accountability of the free enterprise system.
There is only one candidate for a truly free market system, and it isn't one of your cherished neo-cons. Sorry to break your heart :rolleyes:

Pardon, I had to get that out of me.

Pete
11-17-2007, 06:37 AM
Straw polls used to be big election news in the BRPE (Before Ron Paul Era).

This is disturbing, like the one in CO that was canceled because of excessive RP support.

In OH I went to vote in the state GOP straw poll on the date indicated on the campaign website (9/24 IIRC) and found that it was (A) closed, and (B) apparently, RP was not on the ballot. :mad:

AdamT
11-17-2007, 07:30 AM
The people are totally clueless. So sad.

Voice
11-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Then they fight you...

manny
11-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Everything said above is true. Amazing isn't it, how hard the "Republican" establishment are fighting the only true Republican trying to get their nomination - and winning straw polls, drawing huge crowds & smashing fund-raising records to boot?

How on earth does Romney find these guys in positions of local authority to endorse him when he would leave decisions on starting World War III to his lawyers? Has he simply bought them off or have the neocons really succeeded in getting such positions covered. Guess this is why RP supporters need to be getting active with the local GOP establishment. From what I understand these party groups might often only be a few dozen people, easily outnumbered by RP guys ... but the neo-cons are the ones who have got themselves higher up the hierarchy. And from what I've read these guys are then in certain areas going to have huge power in choosing delegates in primaries. Arghh :(

Maybe some media attention is the only way. Jack Cafferty seemed very sympathetic to the emails regarding the voter frustration at establishment attempts to ensure it's Rudy vs Clinton ... don't know what else we can do. It seems winning the battle of ideas and even votes isn't all that's needed...

TVMH
11-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Key phrase: 50 Republicans.

Gathering 50 people opposed to Dr. Paul is not that hard to do.

All these 50 people did was waste their money trying to show that Dr. Paul does not have any support...an obvious falsehood.

walt
11-17-2007, 08:52 AM
What's going on here?

Romney takes local straw poll

By Nancy Rineman
hamptonunion@seacoastonline.com
November 16, 2007 6:00 AM
More than 50 Republicans gathered at the Pelican Club at the Galley Hatch Restaurant in Hampton on Tuesday evening for some socializing and a bit of politicking.

Jeb Bradley, who is running to regain his 1st Congressional District seat, stopped by briefly before another engagement, greeting some for a second time after speaking at the Hampton Rotary Club that morning. The war on terror, taxes, health care, and immigration were key issues addressed by Bradley.

Rockingham County Attorney Jim Reams also spoke and took the opportunity to campaign for votes for his re-election. Reams said he supports former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney for president.

Along with the banter and refreshments, a silent auction and straw poll was held. Of the Republican presidential candidates, Romney was the favorite, followed closely by former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and then Sen. John McCain of Arizona. A few supported former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, and Congressman Tom Tancredo of Colorado and former Sen. Fred Thompson got one vote apiece.

"He answers every question and looks people in the eye," Scamman said. "He is an administrator we need as president of the United States that can talk to people and (they) know where he's at."

Coburn said Huckabee is "climbing fast," with a good plan for health care and education and a good speech for immigration.

Stiles said McCain has fought against special interest groups and understands the fundamental challenges of Islamic extremists.

Chris Nevins, Hampton Republican Town chairman, reminded members that as a grassroots organization, everyone is needed to carry on the Republican message to those living in Hampton and beyond. He defined those values as being lower taxes, a strong national defense and a smaller, yet more effective, government, all of which are most easily facilitated through accountability of the free enterprise system.

GRAND OLD PARTY

Anyone with an interest in becoming involved with Hampton's Republican Committee should contact Chris Nevins at 926-3736.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071116/NEWS/711160343/-1/NEWS

it probably wasn't advertised publically. Ask the writer about that.

jd603
11-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Fixed straw poll, obviously. No way he'd not get one vote any place in NH.

:)

Just Come Home
11-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Ijust dont' get it... How could there be a straw poll in NH and not a single Ron Paul vote.

voisine
11-17-2007, 12:38 PM
A while back it was predicted the atmosphere was right for the Republican nomination to go to a dark horse. This was before RP started picking up steam. Huckabee is getting traction among the "likely republican primary voters", people who bothered to vote in a virtually uncontested Republican primary in 2004. These are the hardcore, toe the line, don't question what you're told, sheeple Republicans. This is good news for RP. Huckabee should be peaking just at the right time to evenly split up the pro-war neo-con vote. I think by the end of the primary process it'll come down to Huckabee and RP.

Voice
11-17-2007, 09:44 PM
There is an obvious trend, and someone needs to bring it out and air it in all it's ugliness. The main-stream of Republicans, those who voted in the last two elections, are well-nigh besodden with Neo-con coolaid. This especially applies to those passionate enough to already be high in the ranks of Republicans. If we can't convert enough of them, we will lose.

We need to pay special attention to these individuals, and get them back on the traditional conservative platform. This must be done without insulting or offending them. I think emphasizing the endorsement of the old guard Rebublicans will be helpful.

steph3n
11-17-2007, 09:46 PM
rotary club? haha..... a group of like minded friends that is all....no problem with that but hardly a legit straw poll :)

Adamsa
11-17-2007, 09:51 PM
There were only 50 people there.

aksmith
11-17-2007, 10:04 PM
I hope to God that Ron Paul's supporters in Hampton were out knocking on doors and ringing up their neighbors to vote for Ron instead of hanging around this circle jerk of a straw poll.

We are past the point of straw polls having any meaning. They are a major waste of time. And the fact that Ron didn't get a single vote is good. Let the ossified base of the dying Republican party think we don't have any support. Surprise them on election day. After all, that is what this is all about, right?

I am the leading anti-straw poll advocate in American. And you all should be too.

American
11-17-2007, 10:08 PM
This was a Frank Luntz poll

He gathered people with Ghouliani shirts on took a poll. Thats the way he rolls.