PDA

View Full Version : MUST WATCH The most honest three and a half minutes of television, EVER...

mrsat_98
07-08-2012, 10:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K6m3Ua2nw

kylejack
07-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Rand Paul was mentioned in tonight's episode. This episode was mostly about media coverage of Congress. The anchor (Jeff Daniels) was grilling some guy playing an aide and asking him if Rand Paul believes restaurants should be able to discriminate on race.

iamse7en
07-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Meh. This is to get you to love liberals and The State.

Sola_Fide
07-08-2012, 11:40 PM
All of the problems he rattles off are caused by interventionism.

QuickZ06
07-09-2012, 12:13 AM

The Newsroom, nuff said.

All of the problems he rattles off are caused by interventionism.

Yep, but he did way we have the best economy :rolleyes:

Carson
07-09-2012, 12:27 AM

Even though it is true and needed to be said it is hard to separate the reality and the acting. I think you could be onto something iamse7en. Something was very suspicious about the clip.

He did sound pretty serious...but was that some of his best acting?

NorfolkPCSolutions
07-09-2012, 12:30 AM
That was a whole bunch of holy shit wtf was that?

Awesome. Sorta reminded me of how I fantasized Dr. Paul would speak during last years' debates. Never happened, though. <sigh> There is profanity for its own sake, profanity for comedy...and then there's this. My father used to tell me as a child that sometimes the best words in the English language are the ones that shock the most; to use them as sharpened spears. He was right.

Great scene, great post; very thought provoking. But let's not forget what else is on Jeff Daniels' resume:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KurhPsEAQyY/T2pp9NkVhJI/AAAAAAAAAjw/LYqvm8Pwdrw/s1600/dumb-and-dumber1[1].jpg

NorfolkPCSolutions
07-09-2012, 12:32 AM
He did sound pretty serious...but was that some of his best acting?

Please see above post. :-)

THAT was some of his best acting.

Indy Vidual
07-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Not perfect re: political content, but still pretty amazing!

kahless
07-09-2012, 02:32 AM
It took tonights propaganda episode to piss me off enough to not watch the show again. Figures though since every HBO show has some sort of a agenda for the left and/or axe to grind against Conservatives or as put in this episode "the right wing extremists" that are "taking over the Republican party".

This also seemed like it was Alan Sorkin's way to defend CNN's slanted coverage against the Tea party and their poor ratings. The fictional ACN staff being victims of the ignorant and racist right while they are only trying to report the truth.

People on the left will buy into this propaganda which was very done. So basically by me paying the HBO subscription every month I am effectively contributing to their agenda. Time to finally getting around to make the call and cancel HBO.

kylejack
07-09-2012, 01:58 PM
I dunno, last night's episode was disappointingly simplistic. I have to agree with the basic premise they're after, though, which is that the Tea Party started as a grassroots movement for small government conservatives, and has been co-opted by the Kochs and others to push whoever they want.

jkr
07-09-2012, 02:35 PM
W()W

THAT
WUZ
GR8

1000-points-of-fright
07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
The Snoozeroom. There are so many things wrong with this show just from an artist view that I don't even have to disagree with Sorkin's politics to hate it. Sorkin has been recycling the same dialog for his entire career. His trademark snappy banter has just become a caricature of itself. Watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78RzZr3IwI) if you don't believe me.

This Reason article (http://reason.com/archives/2012/06/25/the-newsroom-finally-a-show-about-elitis) pretty much sums up everything I thought after watching the first episode.

Kilrain
07-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Bayonets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYDhAmjmxYk

But seriously, this:

TheeJoeGlass
07-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I love Jeff Daniels and follow his music career aswell, but this show is fucking horrible from all aspects. You can tell it sucks because they have already made changes to it and its only been three shows so far. I was going to give it some time until I watched last nights show, now you couldn't pay me to watch it. In episode two, they were upset because he mentioned Sarah Palin because they were above all that stuff. Then episode three is nothing but everything they said they didnt want to focus on?!?! Terrible writing and a stupid liberal idea for a show.

kylejack
07-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Not that they were above mentioning Palin, but that she said something really dumb and the analyst wanted him to bring up Palin, but not criticize her for the dumb statement.

TheeJoeGlass
07-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Not that they were above mentioning Palin, but that she said something really dumb and the analyst wanted him to bring up Palin, but not criticize her for the dumb statement.

Yes, the Mackenzie was against mentioning her at all. Then the next episode is Macavoy and Mackenzie doing the exact same thing to every other member of the tea party. It makes very little sense and really seems like they just scrapped the original intent of the show.

donnay
07-14-2012, 08:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K6m3Ua2nw&feature=player_embedded#!

donnay
07-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Here is the full episode if anyone has not seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=1U4ZhFDFYvE

Dissent
07-14-2012, 08:39 AM
He's right. I posted it on FB. Thanks for posting.

tttppp
07-14-2012, 08:46 AM
I wish the rest of the show was as accurate as that first clip. It would have been nice to see someone in the media say that America is not the best. The media seems to brainwash us that America is the best, regardless of how stupid America can be.

kahless
07-14-2012, 08:55 AM
I have seen this posted here 10 times already in the last month. Don't give those assholes at HBO any more publicity.

It is a propaganda show for the left to cover for CNN's low ratings and lack of journalistic integrity in covering the Tea Party and "right wing extremists". Like they were just trying to do the right thing while the country tunes out because we are all ignorant racist Tea Party folks and of course in the process taking a dig at Rand.

Reason
07-14-2012, 10:18 AM
I have seen this posted here 10 times already in the last month. Don't give those assholes at HBO any more publicity.

It is a propaganda show for the left to cover for CNN's low ratings and lack of journalistic integrity in covering the Tea Party and "right wing extremists". Like they were just trying to do the right thing while the country tunes out because we are all ignorant racist Tea Party folks and of course in the process taking a dig at Rand.

Damn. I had my hopes up after that clip too... =(

Daveforliberty
07-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Agreed. Aaron Sorkin is past disingenuous here, pretending to be neutral, presenting the "real news," when the "real news" is just the leftist position. It's no different at all from Fox News pretending to be "Fair and Balanced." The show has even took outright shots at libertarians in episode 1. The "real" solution to all our problems is more government. We could have avoided the financial crisis with more regulation... We could have avoided the BP oil spill with more regulation... Two episodes was enough for me.

MelissaWV
07-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Disagree. Towards the end, it's painfully obvious that he talks about how we "used to be" great... and still talks about spending tax dollars like crazy. We waged wars on poverty, not the poor? The "war on poverty" was one of the things that started this mess.

Anti Federalist
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Agreed.

Sorkin is one of the worst propagandists out there.

This is like posting clips of Bill Maher and somehow trying to show he is "pro liberty".

Anti Federalist
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Agreed. Aaron Sorkin is past disingenuous here, pretending to be neutral, presenting the "real news," when the "real news" is just the leftist position. It's no different at all from Fox News pretending to be "Fair and Balanced." The show has even took outright shots at libertarians in episode 1. The "real" solution to all our problems is more government. We could have avoided the financial crisis with more regulation... We could have avoided the BP oil spill with more regulation... Two episodes was enough for me.

Yup.

Anti Federalist
07-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Disagree. Towards the end, it's painfully obvious that he talks about how we "used to be" great... and still talks about spending tax dollars like crazy. We waged wars on poverty, not the poor? The "war on poverty" was one of the things that started this mess.

And that.

angelatc
07-14-2012, 12:51 PM

This. Quoted the whole thing in case somebody missed it, like CNN missed the "Fast & Furious" scandal.

MelissaWV
07-14-2012, 12:54 PM
I will give them this. I don't know the actor's personal political viewpoints (though of course I can make an educated and statistically likely guess), but the mannerisms and raising the voice and shame-on-you attitude are spot-on with Hannity and OReilly. He's doing a good job playing the part the series calls for. It's the series itself that makes me facepalm.

Anti Federalist
07-14-2012, 12:58 PM
I will give them this. I don't know the actor's personal political viewpoints (though of course I can make an educated and statistically likely guess), but the mannerisms and raising the voice and shame-on-you attitude are spot-on with Hannity and OReilly. He's doing a good job playing the part the series calls for. It's the series itself that makes me facepalm.

I have little time for Shamity propaganda, and little time for anti Shamity propaganda.

DamianTV
07-14-2012, 03:34 PM
The point still stands. America is not the greatest country in the world any more. And it rings true because it is true.

Im sure if we had access to North Korean Television, they would have levels of propoganda that effectively match the levels of propoganda in this show. North Korea most likely does everything in its power to convince its citizens (at the expense of its citizens) that North Korea is the greatest country in the world. Which brings us full circle. Our propoganda that convinces us we are either the greatest country in the world or no longer the greatest country in the world will always be done at our expense.

Now, what is said and what is heard are usually two very different things. What was sais is that America is no longer the greatest country in the world. But what people hear is they no longer have the potential to keep / make America the greatest country in the world. It does accomplish one thing. It helps to perpetuate the depression that we are now in and the government still publicly denies that we are in. It is an attack on the mind. They dont want you to try to do anything that could possibly make America the greatest country in the world.

Is America the greatest country in the world? That is a matter of opinion, not statistics. But do you believe you can do something to make America the greatest country in the world? Thats the part that is being missed, and again, it is a matter of opinion. I believe I can. I believe you can too.

donnay
07-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Well, I disagree. I think this series is spot-on how the press has lost it's sense of purpose--to report the news! Just by the sarcastic reviews, from none other than, corporate controlled media outlets calling this show ridiculous, made me take notice. Call it propaganda if you want, it's a fictional drama! The alleged REAL news is full of propaganda, misinformation and flat-out lies. I applaud the writers of this show, to draw those points out.

In this day and age where people lose themselves in reality television, fictional dramas and other bread and circuses, I am glad this show is out there. Then maybe people will realize that the so-called corporate media is no different than a television drama, played out to dupe us all in the end.

It's not about left or right--it's about realizing what is right and what is wrong with this country! Freedom of the press has long since gone. How can people be diverse, in their thinking, if they get caught in the middle of a phony left/right paradigm to begin with?

Anti Federalist
07-14-2012, 08:19 PM
It's not about left or right--it's about realizing what is right and what is wrong with this country! Freedom of the press has long since gone. How can people be diverse, in their thinking, if they get caught in the middle of a phony left/right paradigm to begin with?

That's just it, you're using the "left" paradigm to make a point.

Sure, freedom of the press is gone. Pretty much been gone since just after Nixon and Watergate.

It would be like me coming in here and saying that Mark Levin or Rush Limbaugh somehow were spearheading the truth.

Shamity and Sorkin (or pick whatever mainstream media mouthpieces you want) may be right from time to time, but usually it will be for the wrong reason, or just dumb luck.

But if it's being presented on a major media outlet, whether it's HBO or ABC or Fox, (government owned and/or controlled mind you) you can bet it has an internal bias and is playing to one side of that paradigm or the other.

Alternative media FTW.

matt0611
07-14-2012, 09:17 PM

Yep, I pretty much tuned out once I heard that. I had a feeling it was a leftist rant from the beginning though, just the smugness and self-righteousness of his tone gave it away.

QuickZ06
07-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Watched the first episode since I saw it being posted on here so much. I knew this going in but yep PURE PROPAGANDA, in the first episode they coved the oil spill and kept ranting on about not enough government overwatch blah blah blah.

donnay
07-14-2012, 10:04 PM
That's just it, you're using the "left" paradigm to make a point.

Sure, freedom of the press is gone. Pretty much been gone since just after Nixon and Watergate.

It would be like me coming in here and saying that Mark Levin or Rush Limbaugh somehow were spearheading the truth.

Shamity and Sorkin (or pick whatever mainstream media mouthpieces you want) may be right from time to time, but usually it will be for the wrong reason, or just dumb luck.

But if it's being presented on a major media outlet, whether it's HBO or ABC or Fox, (government owned and/or controlled mind you) you can bet it has an internal bias and is playing to one side of that paradigm or the other.

Alternative media FTW.

I am looking at it with an open-mind perspective. A broken clock is right twice a day--just as it is wrong twice a day. But you have to be able to tell the difference or you will never know when it is right and when it is wrong.

Anti Federalist
07-14-2012, 10:25 PM
I am looking at it with an open-mind perspective. A broken clock is right twice a day--just as it is wrong twice a day. But you have to be able to tell the difference or you will never know when it is right and when it is wrong.

Oh, I know when I'm being bullshitted.

donnay
07-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Oh, I know when I'm being bullshitted.

I guess if Homer Simpson was the lead you'd like it, right? *SIGH* :p

http://whenthecrisishitthefan.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_73231.jpg

donnay
07-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Yep, I pretty much tuned out once I heard that. I had a feeling it was a leftist rant from the beginning though, just the smugness and self-righteousness of his tone gave it away.

The funny thing is he is a Republican.

CaseyJones
07-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Kill The TV

Anti Federalist
07-14-2012, 11:09 PM
I guess if Homer Simpson was the lead you'd like it, right? *SIGH* :p

Yes, yes I would.

The first ten years of the Simpsons was written by, or heavily influenced by, a decidedly "pro liberty" guy, John Schwarzwelder.

Not to mention the fact that it was funny, instead of tedious and hackneyed, like this hot mess of political claptrap, or that wretched, awful Bill Maher, whom you still watch from time to time.

donnay
07-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Yes, yes I would.

The first ten years of the Simpsons was written by, or heavily influenced by, a decidedly "pro liberty" guy, John Schwarzwelder.

Not to mention the fact that it was funny, instead of tedious and hackneyed, like this hot mess of political claptrap, or that wretched, awful Bill Maher, whom you still watch from time to time.

Pro liberty guy who depicts the husband to be a bumbling fool? Yay for pro liberty, I suppose. :rolleyes:

"Television is democracy at its ugliest."
~Paddy Chayefsky screenplay writer for the movie Network

Anti Federalist
07-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Pro liberty guy who depicts the husband to be a bumbling fool? Yay for pro liberty, I suppose. :rolleyes:

"Television is democracy at its ugliest."
~Paddy Chayefsky screenplay writer for the movie Network

No more bumbling than Herman Munster, who you say I remind you of, all the time.

AuH20
07-15-2012, 12:21 AM
The funny thing is he is a Republican.

A republican like David Brooks or David Frum. Basically a democrat lite. Those guys never take any heat for obvious reasons.

Carson
07-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Please see above post. :-)

THAT was some of his best acting.

THAT was a good movie.

donnay
07-15-2012, 01:18 AM
No more bumbling than Herman Munster, who you say I remind you of, all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU4C57ha1CE&feature=related

donnay
07-15-2012, 01:22 AM
A republican like David Brooks or David Frum. Basically a democrat lite. Those guys never take any heat for obvious reasons.

Nope, those guys are neocons, through and through. That's the REAL elephant in the room no one wants to talk about.

Tod
07-15-2012, 03:16 AM

this ^

MelissaWV
07-15-2012, 05:45 AM

Is this real life right now?