PDA

View Full Version : Alleged rape victim acquitted in priest assault

Vanilluxe
07-06-2012, 03:09 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Alleged-rape-victim-acquitted-in-priest-assault-3686581.php

Justice served on a hot plate!

asurfaholic
07-06-2012, 05:17 AM
I have to ask.. what if the assault never happened? Did the priest (lol) admit to what he was accused of? Doesn't he get a fair chance to defend himself before his attacker is aquitted?

A compelling testimony in great detail might be convincing, but its only one side.

tod evans
07-06-2012, 05:33 AM
A 44y/o guy punched a 67y/o guy for an event that allegedly happened 30 some years ago.

This BS is what "Our Government" and "The News" is choosing to focus on?

Meanwhile Nero fiddles...

kylejack
07-06-2012, 10:15 AM
A 44y/o guy punched a 67y/o guy for an event that allegedly happened 30 some years ago.

This BS is what "Our Government" and "The News" is choosing to focus on?

Meanwhile Nero fiddles...
We are a nation of laws and it is the job of the government to enforce those laws. It isn't the job of the Santa Clara County DA to set the nation on the right course, their job is to prosecute those who break the law. As to the news, I find it newsworthy when someone in my local community is on trial for assaulting someone else.

tod evans
07-06-2012, 03:09 PM
We are a nation of laws and it is the job of the government to enforce those laws. It isn't the job of the Santa Clara County DA to set the nation on the right course, their job is to prosecute those who break the law. As to the news, I find it newsworthy when someone in my local community is on trial for assaulting someone else.

And there ya' go......"They" have given you exactly what you want.

kylejack
07-07-2012, 07:50 PM
And there ya' go......"They" have given you exactly what you want.
What function do you think the Santa Clara County DA should serve, like phonebank for Ron Paul or something?

tod evans
07-07-2012, 08:01 PM
A DA prosecuting a punched nose is only doing so for publicity, and the media is running with it.

Take out the words "catholic priest" and "alleged molestation" and there's not only no story, there's no arrest or prosecution either.

This is whoring on your dime at its finest...........

Did ya' even get a kiss?

Rudeman
07-07-2012, 08:17 PM
A DA prosecuting a punched nose is only doing so for publicity, and the media is running with it.

Take out the words "catholic priest" and "alleged molestation" and there's not only no story, there's no arrest or prosecution either.

This is whoring on your dime at its finest...........

Did ya' even get a kiss?

You don't think a 44 yr old man would get arrested for punching a senior citizen unprovoked?

tod evans
07-07-2012, 08:19 PM
You don't think a 44 yr old man would get arrested for punching a senior citizen unprovoked?

Maybe where you live.

Here in the sticks "The ol' bastard's a pervert" is enough to walk from a punched nose, even a full blown "fight" for that matter.

Rudeman
07-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Maybe where you live.

Here in the sticks "The ol' bastard's a pervert" is enough to walk from a punched nose, even a full blown "fight" for that matter.

Well you said take out the words "alleged molestation". I took it to mean that you were ignoring that detail. If you're not, then I agree he shouldn't have been arrested.

kylejack
07-08-2012, 02:10 AM
Maybe where you live.

Battery is illegal in every jurisdiction in the United States, including all rural sticks areas.

devil21
07-08-2012, 03:05 AM
Sounds like jury nullification at work. The guy was obviously guilty of assault and battery but the jury decided the law didnt apply or wasn't justice in this case and "acquitted". THIS is what jury nullification is all about. Should the law as written be applied to this case or is the law itself constitutional? Whether you agree with the outcome or not, it is nullification.

tod evans
07-08-2012, 05:42 AM
Battery is illegal in every jurisdiction in the United States, including all rural sticks areas.

You're absolutely correct, it is.

And the definition of battery is well defined.

Prosecutors however regularly decide to waive prosecution on actual felonies due to not enough publicity or political recognition using "prosecutorial discression" as a valid reason.

The above case was clearly an attempt to whore out the office for political gain, and the jury agreed.

I'm one of these people who still believe that "He needed killin' " is a valid defense..;)

kylejack
07-08-2012, 10:08 AM
You're absolutely correct, it is.

And the definition of battery is well defined.

Prosecutors however regularly decide to waive prosecution on actual felonies due to not enough publicity or political recognition using "prosecutorial discression" as a valid reason.

The above case was clearly an attempt to whore out the office for political gain, and the jury agreed.

I'm one of these people who still believe that "He needed killin' " is a valid defense..;)
Are you also one of those people who believe that people should be able to go around punching whoever they want, and then say the person molested them with no evidence other than their own testimony to prove their allegation? What if he didn't do it?

If the jury weighed the testimony and decided it was credible, fine, but that doesn't mean the DA shouldn't have brought the case. His job is to put the case before them and let them decide.

tod evans
07-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Yes I truly do believe some people deserve to be punched in the nose, and I have dispensed many such punches in my lifetime.

I can also honestly say I have never behaved in a manner that has gotten me a punch in the nose.

kylejack
07-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Yes I truly do believe some people deserve to be punched in the nose, and I have dispensed many such punches in my lifetime.

I can also honestly say I have never behaved in a manner that has gotten me a punch in the nose.
So then I'll just come punch you in the nose and say you molested me, then?

Chester Copperpot
07-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Sounds like jury nullification at work. The guy was obviously guilty of assault and battery but the jury decided the law didnt apply or wasn't justice in this case and "acquitted". THIS is what jury nullification is all about. Should the law as written be applied to this case or is the law itself constitutional? Whether you agree with the outcome or not, it is nullification.

Yep...

Nobody just goes up to a retired priest and punches them for no reason.. Unless of course theyre just a crazy person.

But if this person is in charge of his faculties Id tend to agree with the jury and find not guilty.

tod evans
07-08-2012, 10:21 AM
So then I'll just come punch you in the nose and say you molested me, then?

Come on, we'd have a little brawl.

[edit]

I'm of the opinion that if the "priest" was innocent of the allegation he would have been a man and defended himself. Most folks who get a bloody nose for poor behavior know they deserve it, folks who get punched arbitrarily generally retaliate.

kylejack
07-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Come on, we'd have a little brawl.

[edit]

I'm of the opinion that if the "priest" was innocent of the allegation he would have been a man and defended himself. Most folks who get a bloody nose for poor behavior know they deserve it, folks who get punched arbitrarily generally retaliate.
What if they're an old man in a nursing home? Also, I don't think too many priests fist fight, even if they were attacked first.

tod evans
07-08-2012, 11:18 AM
What if they're an old man in a nursing home? Also, I don't think too many priests fist fight, even if they were attacked first.

I suppose priests are minted differently where you live? I've known and interacted with priests since the 60's and have never met one who wouldn't fight back.... For heavens sake my mother is in her late 70's and if you punched her she'd hit you back. (She's 10yrs older than Mr. Nursing Home)

I understand lots of people believe in non-violence and using the "law" to enforce those beliefs.... My experiences in life have been much more rough-n-tumble than lawyers-n-cops....

Mind if I inquire if you've ever patronized a biker bar?

How about outdoor kegger parties?

Maybe a 3-4 day float trip?

If you interact with people who have occasion to "forget themselves" it's possible you'd be put in a position to dispense a bloody nose or two...

I would have liked to see the jury sanction the DA personally for the cost of the trial.......Might just help him out with his ethics.

kylejack
07-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I would have liked to see the jury sanction the DA personally for the cost of the trial.......Might just help him out with his ethics.
I don't think you understand how the criminal justice system works. The jury returns a guilty or not guilty verdict, and sometimes decides penalty for the defendant.