PDA

View Full Version : Paypal - crazy

Don Lapre
07-05-2012, 09:12 PM
I opened a PayPal account about a year ago and have used it just a few times - all for small transactions.

I recently added funds ($50) to my account from my linked bank account and then made a transaction.

I went to my account today to add more funds ($100) because I was going to make two small purchases, but I was blocked.
Was told that they required additional personal info before they would allow me to add funds.

Was told I had to provide:

- a photo
- proof of my address
- a copy of my SS card or proof of my number

umm...

WTF?

No thanks.

Has anyone had this experience with PayPal?

Account cancelled.

CaptainAmerica
07-05-2012, 09:22 PM
HUH????????

Suzu
07-05-2012, 09:22 PM
I hope you took your money out before closing the account. Blocked from adding funds shouldn't cost you anything. Blocked from removing funds is where it gets painful.

rockerrockstar
07-05-2012, 09:24 PM
No but I have not used it recently. They have been getting more restrictive every year so I guess it would not be super surprising. Has anyone here used PayPal recently?

brandon
07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Doesn't seem that strange to me. Would you be able to open up an account at a brick and mortar bank without a ss# and ID?

Don Lapre
07-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I hope you took your money out before closing the account. Blocked from adding funds shouldn't cost you anything. Blocked from removing funds is where it gets painful.

I only have $7.00 remaining in the account - and was told that I would be penalized $1.50 for cancelling the account.

Why on earth would I need to show them a photo of myself??

Suzu
07-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Maybe cuz you aren't there in person, and thus they can't see you?

deadfish
07-05-2012, 09:42 PM
I would not blame paypal. In large part due to the Patriot Act, banks and financial institutions must collect everything about you or be shaken down by the gov't and have their shit stolen.

The Goat
07-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Its not a bank account, paypal suspended my acct. and held $80 i had in it for 6 months about 4 years ago. they took a few hundred from my friend when a motor he had shipped to some one was broke by the shipping company. He wasn't liable for the item in shipping but paypal took his money and never refunded it. the motor wasn't returned either.
Paypal is great till they take your $ and you realize their isn't a way to contact them. plenty of crazy paypal stories out their.

Lafayette
07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Was told I had to provide:

- a photo
- proof of my address
- a copy of my SS card or proof of my number

Account cancelled.

I didn't even have to provide that much info for my online brokerage account. I don't use paypal and never will.

AME3
07-05-2012, 09:51 PM
They want to make sure you aren't some terrorist or Iranian dude. They give your photo (or secretely obtained web cam) to HS and they run it through the system. The gov is requiring that they do this now under the new addenums in the patriot act which went into effect Jan first. If you hesitate they submit your ISP and whatever info you have submitted or they have been able to compile to the HS and they turn it over to the FBI proctology division, and I think you know what that means...
I only have $7.00 remaining in the account - and was told that I would be penalized $1.50 for cancelling the account.

Tod
07-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Geez, I'm glad I only have a token amount in my account.

VIDEODROME
07-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Bummer. I have sometimes considered Ebay selling to make extra money but it seems like a major headache if Paypal is involved.

heavenlyboy34
07-05-2012, 10:16 PM
No but I have not used it recently. They have been getting more restrictive every year so I guess it would not be super surprising. Has anyone here used PayPal recently?
I have used it recently, with no problems.

MelissaCato
07-05-2012, 10:18 PM
I opened a PayPal account about a year ago and have used it just a few times - all for small transactions.I recently added funds ($50) to my account from my linked bank account and then made a transaction.I went to my account today to add more funds ($100) because I was going to make two small purchases, but I was blocked.Was told that they required additional personal info before they would allow me to add funds.Was told I had to provide:- a photo- proof of my address- a copy of my SS card or proof of my numberumm...WTF?No thanks.Has anyone had this experience with PayPal?Account cancelled.Ya, I've have a business account since like 2000ish and they do periodically ask for proof of all the things you listed. I like paypal. I also like the new paypal android app - you can deposit funds with just a front and back snapshot of your check, keep the check for 15 days until the money is in your paypal account, then tear it up and throw it away. I like paypal.

Don Lapre
07-05-2012, 10:23 PM
They want to make sure you aren't some terrorist or Iranian dude. They give your photo (or secretely obtained web cam) to HS and they run it through the system. The gov is requiring that they do this now under the new addenums in the patriot act which went into effect Jan first. If you hesitate they submit your ISP and whatever info you have submitted or they have been able to compile to the HS and they turn it over to the FBI proctology division, and I think you know what that means...

I'm put on double secret probation?

I dunno, the whole 'you are required to provide us with your picture' thing seems over the top to me.

AME3
07-05-2012, 10:32 PM
yeah yeah that's it, probation times two:rolleyes:

I dunno, the whole 'you are required to provide us with your picture' thing seems over the top to me.

AME3
07-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Seriously, I don't like it either, it is Over the top" IMO too.

WhistlinDave
07-05-2012, 10:46 PM
I've used it, not very often, but here and there for the last few years, and never had any problems with it and they have never asked for a photo or proof of SS# or anything like that. Have used it recently at least three times in the last month too (someone sent me some money via Paypal so I've been using it for purchases). Logged in probably about a week ago, didn't have to go through anything extra like what you're describing.

I wonder if someone tried to log in to your account, and/or used some kind of password hacking software to try to log in to your account, and so now this is a security thing they're trying to do to help protect your account in the future? Still seems a little strange, but just trying to think of why they would do that.

MelissaCato
07-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Ya, that might be it. My account was hacked by a japanese person years ago and ever since then they periodically ask for proof it's me. Japanese person took everything in my account and somehow everytime I logged-in it would be in japanese - it wouldn't go back to english for me. Pay pal got involved and they straighten everything out - gave me all my money back. I don't know what happened to the japanese person though.

Peace Piper
07-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Had an account since 2006, verified, and attached to bank account. almost 90 green ebay donuts. Glowing feedback.

I got this notice on the main account screen last time I tried to transfer $ from my 6 yr attached bank account into my paypal acct:

-scan and send drivers license
-scan and send a copy of utility bill (it's in my roommates name)
-scan and send SS#

Well why should I trust this paypal company with these documents?

You never really *have* a paypal account, you have access to their sh*t service until they make you jump through further hoops. I'd guess that sooner or later every paypal customer will be asked to upload these items.

Also apparently paypal is holding all ebay $ for 21 days now, meaning the seller has to pay postage out of pocket and hope the buyer doesn't complain.

The whole thing isn't worth it anymore, F paypal and ebay and anyone that demands some kind of ongoing "compliance" routine.

Oh and if you don't respond to their demands you'll get an email that says "What's up with your non compliance?"

This kind of stuff will continue to get worse...

Don Lapre
07-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Well why should I trust this paypal company with these documents?

Exactly.

They are saying it is to insure my safety - and well, how the hell am I supposed to know that they are not compromising my safety by taking this private info from me?

Why should I trust them with this info?

My picture??

No sale.

Done.

Yieu
07-06-2012, 12:09 AM
how the hell am I supposed to know that they are not compromising my safety by taking this private info from me?

Nearly anyone asking for that information would be compromising your safety by taking it, in my opinion.

LibertyEagle
07-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Its not a bank account, paypal suspended my acct. and held $80 i had in it for 6 months about 4 years ago. they took a few hundred from my friend when a motor he had shipped to some one was broke by the shipping company. He wasn't liable for the item in shipping but paypal took his money and never refunded it. the motor wasn't returned either.
Paypal is great till they take your $ and you realize their isn't a way to contact them. plenty of crazy paypal stories out their.

There is a way to contact them. I have talked to them on the phone before.

angelatc
07-06-2012, 08:34 AM

I sell quite a bit on eBay and as such have to deal with Paypal on a regular basis. They suck big time - that's all there is to it.

But I've never heard of them asking for a picture. Are you sure if wasn't a picture ID?

jbauer
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
So just so I have this straight.

You have a corporatation that says you need to provide a few minimal items to use their service and you chose not to. Whats the problem again? Its your right to not use their services. Its their right to collect the info they need. If you were up to no good they could be held liable.

Pericles
07-06-2012, 01:05 PM
If there was way to buy stuff on eBay without PayPal, that account would be long gone.

teacherone
07-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Maybe you've been phished?

Suzu
07-06-2012, 01:15 PM
If there was way to buy stuff on eBay without PayPal, that account would be long gone.
Too many sellers don't take other forms of payment (and for any "Buy It Now" item, it's the only option, usually), but a lot of them do. The more you support sellers who take other than PayPal, and avoid sellers who offer no other options, the better for us all. BTW eBay *owns* PayPal now, so you can see why it's favored there.

angelatc
07-06-2012, 01:28 PM

eBay sellers were forced into being required to take Paypal. It is not against eBay rules for buyers and sellers to sell items for cash, check money order, or chickens. It is, however, against the rules for sellers to mention any of those options in their listings.

Of course, all sellers are different, but if you emailed me, told me that you hated Paypal and wanted to send another form of payment, I'd say no problem.

Lindsey
07-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I am an ebay seller. We only list Paypal as an option, but if a buyer were to contact me and offer to pay via certified money order or dwolla or possibly other ways. We'd be willing to accommodate. Please, if there are reliable, convenient and inexpensive ways to accept payments other than Paypal, post them up. AI have no particular ties to Paypal other than ebay is designed to push you into handling transactions that way.

angelatc
07-06-2012, 01:40 PM
I am an ebay seller. We only list Paypal as an option, but if a buyer were to contact me and offer to pay via certified money order or dwolla or possibly other ways. We'd be willing to accommodate. Please, if there are reliable, convenient and inexpensive ways to accept payments other than Paypal, post them up. AI have no particular ties to Paypal other than ebay is designed to push you into handling transactions that way.

Exactly. Back in the good old days, people used to send me cash through the mail. Never had a problem. Then eBay management stepped up to "help."

enoch150
07-06-2012, 01:47 PM
So just so I have this straight.

You have a corporatation that says you need to provide a few minimal items to use their service and you chose not to. Whats the problem again? Its your right to not use their services. Its their right to collect the info they need. If you were up to no good they could be held liable.

This is true, in a free market, but not when the government mandates that businesses spy on consumers, even if they are not suspected of wrongdoing. For example, here's Peter Schiff explaining what the government requires him to do, as a broker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huf6_VPDytA

FindLiberty
07-06-2012, 01:50 PM
There must be good reasons for this invasion of privacy:

"They" need to be able to track any yellow cake (Uranium) purchases to make
absolutely sure it's not going to end up in a bomb ...or something dangerous.

The King is also interested in collecting all of his taxes, of course.

Soon I expect to see the King's agents sneaking about, watching our
homes and counting the number of windows... for a "new" window tax!

Ah yes, the decline of America is simply grand!

jbauer
07-06-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm well aware of what is required from a broker. Again you have the right not to use their services. No on is forcing you to use paypal. They can ask for whatever they want. If they step over the line than another will take its place.

This is true, in a free market, but not when the government mandates that businesses spy on consumers, even if they are not suspected of wrongdoing. For example, here's Peter Schiff explaining what the government requires him to do, as a broker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huf6_VPDytA

kathy88
07-06-2012, 02:51 PM
I'd send a photo of your brown eye:)

enoch150
07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm well aware of what is required from a broker. Again you have the right not to use their services. No on is forcing you to use paypal. They can ask for whatever they want. If they step over the line than another will take its place.

Paypal handles financial transactions. It could very well be that they are regulated, also. And if that's the case, then all of it's competition would be regulated, too. I don't know if this is true or not. My point was, it may not be the free market asking for this and there may not be a free market alternative.

LibertyRevolution
07-06-2012, 06:10 PM
I have a paypal account, but I dont have it tied to bank account or a credit card. I fill it with green dot.
Well I reached the $1000 sending limit and they wont let me send anymore money.
Now I got $7 trapped in that account I cant spend unless I give them a bank account or sign up for their credit card..
I hate paypal...

Don Lapre
07-06-2012, 07:05 PM
I sell quite a bit on eBay and as such have to deal with Paypal on a regular basis. They suck big time - that's all there is to it.

But I've never heard of them asking for a picture. Are you sure if wasn't a picture ID?

Here are the exact items they are requiring of me.

- To help confirm your identity, please send a copy of your photo ID that shows your name and address.

- To confirm your address, please send us a copy of a bill that shows your name and address.

- Provide documentation that shows your SS#.

WhistlinDave
07-07-2012, 01:54 AM
I'm not sure if this is all that relevant to the topic at hand, but I found it to be an interesting bit of trivia anyway, from the Orange County Register:

California’s top political donors are a partisan bunch. They make their loyalties clear with every check they write – and those checks tend to be big.

Through May 31 the state’s biggest donors, led by PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel, have poured more than $19 million into federal campaigns....

Thiel was one of the primary bankrollers of the Ron Paul campaign this year.

http://totalbuzz.ocregister.com/2012/07/03/the-insiders-californias-top-political-donors/86969/

angelatc
07-07-2012, 08:04 AM
There must be good reasons for this invasion of privacy:

"They" need to be able to track any yellow cake (Uranium) purchases to make
absolutely sure it's not going to end up in a bomb ...or something dangerous.

The King is also interested in collecting all of his taxes, of course.

Soon I expect to see the King's agents sneaking about, watching our
homes and counting the number of windows... for a "new" window tax!

Ah yes, the decline of America is simply grand!

This is why Peter Thiel bailed, remember? He started it as a free market alternative to banking, but the government showed up PDQ. I guess he saw the battle was already lost, because he sold it to X.com / Elon Musk, currently spending government money on a concept car.

angelatc
07-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Here are the exact items they are requiring of me.

- To help confirm your identity, please send a copy of your photo ID that shows your name and address.

- To confirm your address, please send us a copy of a bill that shows your name and address.

- Provide documentation that shows your SS#.

This is the government's doing. I believe it was in Obamacare - they need your SS# because they are now required to send a tax form to the government if you recieve too much money. The rest of it came from the Patriot Act.

angelatc
07-07-2012, 08:10 AM

Is the $1.50 a fee for cancelling the account, or is it a free for sending you a check? My son tried to open a Paypal account, and because he didn't have a photo ID he couldn't get his money out. He gave up trying, and eventually they sent him a message saying he could withdraw the balance that was there. But I don't know if they charged him for it.

Don Lapre
12-11-2012, 08:35 PM
More fun...

I have a Kindle.

Do you know what it is?

Anyway, it is registered in America.

I happen to be overseas now.
Using internet in a foreign country, I ordered two books from Amazon for my Kindle.

Today I get a notice from Kindle telling me that because my device is registered in America and I placed an order from out of the country, my account is frozen.
No more purchases will be allowed until I fax them my government-issued identification - passport, drivers license, or utility bill.
They said I can black out my ID number if I want to. LOL
They just need to see my name, address, etc.

I sent them an email saying I wasn't interested and would not be sending them such information.

Unreal.