PDA

View Full Version : Diane Ravitch Questions motive of Gates Foundation

libertyjam
07-05-2012, 11:33 AM
http://dianeravitch.net/2012/07/05/more-puzzling-about-the-gates-foundation/
Diane Says:
"I blogged about an article on the Gates Foundation this morning. The article was written under a pseudonym. The author of the article posted the following comment this morning in response to my post:

I’m puzzled, too. When Gates first announced the foundation, my husband was at UCD working on international health and nutrition. The exact year was 1994, I think. Anyway, I confess I actually cried for joy, and I’m not easily moved by press announcements.

My disillusionment has been gradual, and in fact continues through this week. I wonder if you opened the links in my post?

You see a picture of Gates personally putting a dose of polio vaccine into a child’s mouth, in one link, as though he had bought it with his billions. It turns out later that what he bought was the leverage to spend the money my own students raise each year for Unicef, and that he used his GAVI Alliance control to engineer a secret price gouging scheme, to overcharge Unicef and the other real charities who purchase the vaccines.

That’s a cold fact, not a “conspiracy theory”, and it’s a crime when drug companies collude to raise prices. The puzzle piece missing is, as you say, a motive for the Gates Foundation. His rationale is apparently that higher profits will incentivize big Pharma to invest in research, he explained in his Forbes interview.

That turns out not to be the case. Is he deluded?"

More in the Original blog: http://dianeravitch.net/2012/07/05/i-am-puzzled-by-the-gates-foundation/
"When one foundation has amassed over $30 billion, it has the financial power to shape the policies of government to its liking.

The Gates Foundation has more than $30 billion, and when Warren Buffet’s gift of another $30 billion is added to the Gates fund, the Gates Foundation will have the power to direct global policy on almost any issue of its choosing.

Anthony Cody published a guest column in Education Week (funded in part by the Gates Foundation) that describes how the Gates Foundation intervenes in agricultural and environmental issues around the world, often in ways that support corporate profits rather than the public interest."