PDA

View Full Version : Romney settles it: health care mandate is a tax

donnay
07-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Romney settles it: health care mandate is a tax

Associated PressBy KASIE HUNT | Associated Press (http://news.yahoo.com/romney-settles-health-care-mandate-tax-171323281.html) – 53 mins ago

WOLFEBORO, N.H. (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has settled the debate over what to call President Barack Obama's health care mandate.

In an interview Wednesday with CBS News, Romney says it's a tax.

That contradicts a statement days ago by a top adviser, who said Romney viewed the mandate as a penalty or a fee or a fine — but not as a tax.

Opponents of the health care law, including congressional Republicans, have seized on the Supreme Court's use of the word "tax" to describe the mandate.

Romney said that while he thinks the mandate is unconstitutional, a majority of the court concluded it's a tax.

Said Romney: "They have spoken. There's no way around that."

Romney was interviewed in Wolfeboro, N.H., where he marched in the Fourth of July parade.

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/VaOH36GX2NlkecxGGbItDw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/09f723b7b8cc6812140f6a70670033a2.jpg
Republican presidential candidate, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, participates in the Fourth of July Parade in Wolfeboro, N.H., Wednesday, July 4, 2012. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/73UsfEYCxsw4zB_iC_F6Zw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD03OTY7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/bb67e85ab8e26812140f6a706700e5f8.jpg
Republican presidential candidate, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney buys lemonade as he participates in the Fourth of July Parade in Wolfeboro, N.H., Wednesday, July 4, 2012. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

Chester Copperpot
07-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Romney said that while he thinks the mandate is unconstitutional, a majority of the court concluded it's a tax.

Said Romney: "They have spoken. There's no way around that."

Well thank goodness.. Now we all know Romney wont try to get rid of Obamacare

donnay
07-04-2012, 12:22 PM
This is the same man that said he would have to consult with lawyers about going to war with Iran. :eek:

Anti Federalist
07-04-2012, 12:33 PM

Way to go, GOP...way to fucking go.

Mini-Me
07-04-2012, 12:39 PM
LOL, I love how this article acts like Romney is in a position to "settle" this matter. I can just hear it now: "I can say with supreme confidence that I speak on behalf of all Obamacare's opposition, and I hereby declare forevermore that we concede to Justice John Roberts' ridiculous interpretation of the Constitution." As if.

Sola_Fide
07-04-2012, 12:47 PM

It really blows the mind that the GOP would run this type of candidate. The worst possible choice on the biggest issue in their eyes. I'm beyond the point of being taken aback anymore...

Kotin
07-04-2012, 12:52 PM

yeah what a huge joke.

Anti Federalist
07-04-2012, 12:52 PM
It really blows the mind that the GOP would run this type of candidate. The worst possible choice on the biggest issue in their eyes. I'm beyond the point of being taken aback anymore...

Well it's either stupidity on a galactic level or fraud.

There is no other option.

TheTexan
07-04-2012, 12:58 PM

Makes perfect sense to me. They wanted to beat Obama. What better way to beat Obama, than to run a better version of Obama?

Kluge
07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
This is the same man that said he would have to consult with lawyers about going to war with Iran. :eek:

He's changed his tune since then, he's "evolved" to know that the executive exclusively possesses the powers to go to war with Iran. He doesn't even need lawyers anymore, much less congress.

Sola_Fide
07-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Makes perfect sense to me. They wanted to beat Obama. What better way to beat Obama, than to run a better version of Obama?

Oh, I see. Kind of like a "we can do big government better than you can" deal. Makes sense.

coastie
07-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Fraud is the ONLY option, whatchubeensmokin?

TheTexan
07-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Fraud is the ONLY option, whatchubeensmokin?

There was fraud, to be sure, but that's not why Romney won the nomination. There are people pulling the strings, but at the same time most people don't really need their strings pulled to go in their direction.

I wouldn't even call it stupidity, either though. More like willful ignorance.

donnay
07-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Yep so all the controversy over RomneyCare in Massachusetts goes away too. The Supreme Court rules, "They have spoken. There's no way around that."

Brett85
07-04-2012, 01:38 PM
The funny thing is that this now means that Romneycare in Massachussets was a tax as well.

Lafayette
07-04-2012, 01:38 PM
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/73UsfEYCxsw4zB_iC_F6Zw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD03OTY7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/bb67e85ab8e26812140f6a706700e5f8.jpg

Here is 1 dollar and some Koolaid, its neo-con flavored, vote for Mitt!

nobody's_hero
07-04-2012, 01:50 PM

Here is 1 dollar and some Koolaid, its neo-con flavored, vote for Mitt!

Lol. How do you know Romney isn't taking the koolaid and the dollar and leaving the hand with nothing?

I want your drink on this 109-degree day. Oh and I'll take your last dollar too. Now, go buy insurance, or else.

Pauls' Revere
07-04-2012, 01:57 PM

No doubt in my mind he ever wants too. Besides the GOP would need majority representation in both houses which is highly unlikely. Hell they have trouble getting this guy into the white house.

Mini-Me
07-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Lol. How do you know Romney isn't taking the koolaid and the dollar and leaving the hand with nothing?

I want your drink on this 109-degree day. Oh and I'll take your last dollar too. Now, go buy insurance, or else.

It sounds like a classic example of Schrödinger's Mitt Romney.

moostraks
07-05-2012, 06:53 AM

And the answer to the disgust over Bush 2 was McCain...They run a copy of what is in office already.

Badger Paul
07-05-2012, 08:56 AM
"It really blows the mind that the GOP would run this type of candidate."

Let me introduce you to candidates Bush I, Dole and McCain.

Oh yes, they run these kinds of candidates. They run these kinds of candidates because win primaries and caucuses with divided opposition because court jesters like Herman Cain run for President when they have no business doing so.

ShowMeLiberty
07-05-2012, 09:14 AM

It is Willard's turn. He dropped out rather abruptly in '08 even though he was seriously challenging McLame. But '08 was McLame's turn. Do not doubt that promises were made to Willard four getting out of the way. Now those promises are being kept.

The GOP doesn't really want to win this year. They'll take it if they do but they'd much rather have a democrat in the white house as things progress rapidly downhill.

jmdrake
07-05-2012, 10:27 AM
This whole "is it a tax" debate shows how stupid and morally bankrupt the GOP is. The only reason they're sticking with the "it's a tax" argument is to give that slime John Roberts political cover. If Roberts had ruled it was not a tax and therefore unconstitutional they wouldn't be running around saying "It's a tax". And even if it is a tax, as others have pointed out it didn't follow the proper constitutional procedures to become a legal tax so it's still unconstitutional and Roberts is still a douche for upholding it. And lastly, if Roberts is somehow right that it is a tax and constitutional, then what political leg to the republicans have to stand on? Are people who were for the law going to say "Oh my goodness! It's a tax! I guess I should be against it then!"

Philhelm
07-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't even call it stupidity, either though. More like willful ignorance.

I disagree. While ignorance doesn't equate to stupidity, willful ignorance does.

TheTexan
07-05-2012, 10:56 AM
I disagree. While ignorance doesn't equate to stupidity, willful ignorance does.

The problem with that is some of these people are very intelligent. The statist scientists who sent us to the moon (or so they claim~) I'm sure were all very smart.

Its not always about IQ. It's just that most people have an inner desire to control and be controlled, and have most of their choices made for them. Being smart doesn't change that. And as smart as they are, they still don't want to acknowledge this about themselves, thus; willful ignorance.

Romulus
07-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Fraud on them, stupidity on the american people...