PDA

View Full Version : St. Paul Pioneer Press article on my sign fight

BLS
11-17-2007, 12:40 AM
http://www.twincities.com/dakota/ci_7485921?nclick_check=1

It's not very Ron Paul related, unfortunately, but it's not anti Ron Paul either.

Ninja Homer
11-17-2007, 01:05 AM
Great job BLS! The story continues, and in a bigger paper this time.

The link was trying to force me to register, so I'm pasting the story here. You'll still need to visit the link to read/post comments though.

Hastings man's political lawn sign challenges city code
Officials told resident to remove it; he says rule violates free speech
BY FREDERICK MELO
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 11/16/2007 11:09:55 PM CST

On Wednesday, a windstorm accomplished what Hastings City Hall could not - it knocked down Chris Chandler's lawn sign.

Chandler isn't fazed. His civil disobedience may help knock down sign ordinances across the metro.

Chandler, by his own description, is one of Texas U.S. Rep. Ron Paul's biggest fans. In August, he attached a prominent "Ron Paul - Hope For America" campaign sign to the chain-link fence fronting his yard, letting the world know of his enthusiasm for the GOP's lesser-known anti-war presidential candidate.

In October, city officials told him to take it down. He refused.

Instead, he posted a smaller, handmade sign next to the vinyl one.

His candidate is, after all, a Libertarian-Constitutionalist. Chandler figured he would channel his hero and press for a stricter reading of his First Amendment rights to free speech.

"They put a restriction on a political sign, saying it could only be put up for 100 days before the election, and 10 days after," Chandler said. "I said that's a form of censorship. You don't tell people when they can put up a real estate sign."

After a series of back-and-forth exchanges between Chandler and the Hastings Planning Department, city officials relented. Hastings Planning Director John Hinzman referred the issue to City Attorney Dan Fluegel, who told them Chandler might have a point.

Hastings, Apple Valley, Burnsville and Stillwater are among cities that have interpreted a state law on political signage to mean that campaign signs can be displayed only during the 100 days before a general election. That would mean Chandler would have to wait until August to show off his Ron Paul-ism.

But Paul Merwin, a lawyer with the League of Minnesota Cities, disagrees.

"The advice I give a lot of cities is ... that statute doesn't limit to just that time. It gives more rights during that time period," Merwin said.

While cities can restrict the number, size and location of signage during other parts of the year, they have few powers over content. Allowing certain types of self-expression through signage but not others is a double standard that higher courts have frowned upon, Merwin said.

"If you could have a sign saying, 'Support Our Troops,' but you couldn't have a sign saying 'Ron Paul,' that would be a distinction based on content," Merwin said. "That would raise a red flag in my eyes. ... Government doesn't get to decide what is said, or even the category of things that are talked about."

Hastings Mayor Paul Hicks said the city sign code was changed about six years ago after residents complained of campaign signs that stayed planted months after the elections. To restrict the signs, several metro cities used the same boilerplate language.

"We adopted it as well, thinking it would enhance neighborhoods. It was helpful to candidates, too," Hicks said. "It certainly was not an attempt to restrict freedom of speech."

The Hastings Planning Commission met with Chandler on Monday and began hashing out a new sign ordinance.

"They're looking at changes," Fluegel said. "The biggest change is they would allow at any time, at any year, one sign regardless of the content."

Apple Valley is undergoing an extensive review of its sign code and may soon make its own changes, said Charles Grawe, assistant city administrator in that suburb.

For now, Chandler has another concern. On Wednesday night, his vinyl sign disappeared into the wind.

"My name and address are on the back," he said. "Hopefully, somebody will find it and return it."

Frederick Melo can be reached at fmelo@pioneerpress.com or 651-228-2172.

BLS
11-17-2007, 02:45 AM
Good call Ninja Homer. Thanks!

nunaem
11-17-2007, 01:00 PM
I saw this this morning, it was right on the front page of the local section, so great coverage! And I'm sorry to hear the wind took your sign..

Malakai0
11-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Great job! Many similar fights going on down here in Florida. Our state legislature seems to HATE RP signs.

BLS
11-17-2007, 01:26 PM
I saw this this morning, it was right on the front page of the local section, so great coverage! And I'm sorry to hear the wind took your sign..

I'm glad it wasn't shoved back somewhere.
I'll get another sign!
:D