PDA

View Full Version : [LOL] Obama Will Seek To Scale Back Drug War In Second Term: Report

jct74
07-02-2012, 01:06 PM
this clown won't even lay off on the medical MJ issue like he promised to do last time he ran for president, who is going to buy this bullcrap?

Obama Will Seek To Scale Back Drug War In Second Term: Report

by Nick Wing
Posted: 07/02/2012 1:16 pm Updated: 07/02/2012 2:04 pm

President Barack Obama will take steps to draw down the nation's decades-long war on drugs if he wins a second term, Marc Ambinder reports Monday in GQ.

According to Ambinder, Obama's "aides and associates" say that the president is looking to prioritize reform, a reflection of the president's long-held beliefs that strict drug prohibition and enforcement policies have done greater damage to society than good.

Sources close to the White House also told The Huffington Post that the administration is looking at ways that it can reduce barriers to reentering society for those caught up in the drug war, such as a longstanding policy that denies federal financial aid to college students convicted of drug-related offenses, including possession.

Ambinder extensively documents a wide variety of the drug war's consequences, but if the described infirmities concern Obama enough to catalyze the reported shift, his recent policy moves have not shown a particular interest in reflecting that worry.

read more:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/obama-drug-war_n_1643483.html

Romulus
07-02-2012, 01:09 PM
A bunch of people will buy this crap.

Sola_Fide
07-02-2012, 01:13 PM
This is an election year....

jkr
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
AND AFTER THAT, HE WILL WASH MY CAR

TheGrinch
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
this clown won't even lay off on the medical MJ issue like he promised to do last time he ran for president, who is going to buy this bullcrap?

read more:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/obama-drug-war_n_1643483.html
Exactly... Hey Obama, how about you call off the DEA on folks abiding by their state laws, and then we'll talk...

I think that's what pisses me off more than anything, that so many Obama supporters still refuse to admit that thye were duped by the "hope and change" rhetoric. Hell, despite my disagreements, I might have even considered voting for him the first time if I thought he was really going to fight corruption and crony politics in Washington and end the wars, but it's been plenty confirmed that it's business as usual status-quo...

Romulus
07-02-2012, 01:15 PM
He's gonna bring the troops home too!

Hot damn he has my vote. :)

CaseyJones
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
The lying man has promised
Whatever thing he could
The greedy man believes him
And thinks his promise good

Drex
07-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Obama promised to mow my lawn if I vote for him!

Anti Federalist
07-02-2012, 01:26 PM
The lying man has promised
Whatever thing he could
The greedy man believes him
And thinks his promise good

Poetry rep

Anti Federalist
07-02-2012, 01:27 PM
He told me he'd pay my mortgage!

He's gonna bring the troops home too!

Hot damn he has my vote. :)

Obama promised to mow my lawn if I vote for him!

Romulus
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm so glad I'll never have to buy gas again after November!

r3volution
07-02-2012, 02:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

seraphson
07-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Kind of like how he was going to "draw down" the war in the middle east and ended up letting his predecessor's time tables though the SOFA expire?

Yea. Nice try.

trey4sports
07-02-2012, 02:55 PM
that would be nice.

evilfunnystuff
07-02-2012, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBVhfdduwfo&feature=fvwrel

CaseyJones
07-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Agents remove 41,000 marijuana plants from 40-acre site in San Diego County

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/07/agents-remove-41000-marijuana-plants-in-raid-on-40-acre-site-in-san-diego-county.html

dannno
07-02-2012, 06:40 PM

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/07/agents-remove-41000-marijuana-plants-in-raid-on-40-acre-site-in-san-diego-county.html

Well that's a good start :rolleyes:

QueenB4Liberty
07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
What a joke!

jct74
07-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Cenk doesn't really buy it either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvRWpS1WLCc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvRWpS1WLCc

Romulus
07-03-2012, 12:31 PM

There were gonna remove 42,000 but they scaled it back.

CaseyJones
07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?382547-Police-raid-on-marijuana-dispensary-caught-on-video-cops-abuse-owner-smash-camera

jct74
07-06-2012, 04:58 AM
http://reason.com/assets/mc/_external/2012_06/the-stoners-choice.jpg

Origanalist
07-06-2012, 09:22 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?382427-Camp-Zoe-Raided-350-Acres-Siezed-Tebeau-Guilty-Plea

kuckfeynes
07-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Technically I believe this headline. He'll "seek to," and his handlers will say "hell no," and that will be the end of that.

GunnyFreedom
07-06-2012, 09:45 AM

OBAMA MONEY!

jonhowe
07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
The worst part is, we know that Obama was a stoner. He MUST KNOW IT'S NOT THAT BAD FOR YOU!

And yet he finds it just dandy to take it away from responsible users following local and state laws. GAH!

newbitech
07-06-2012, 04:08 PM
He told me he'd pay my mortgage!

and cancel my student loan debt!

Anti Federalist
07-17-2012, 06:41 AM
No, c'mon you guys, I really, really mean it this time.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/laughing-calvin--26-hobbes-337864_504_313.gif

Obama Will Seek To Scale Back Drug War In Second Term: Report

Posted: 07/02/2012 1:16 pm Updated: 07/03/2012 1:12 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/obama-drug-war_n_1643483.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

President Barack Obama will take steps to draw down the nation's decades-long war on drugs if he wins a second term, Marc Ambinder reports Monday in GQ.

According to Ambinder, Obama's "aides and associates" say that the president is looking to prioritize reform, a reflection of the president's long-held beliefs that strict drug prohibition and enforcement policies have done greater damage to society than good.

Sources close to the White House also told The Huffington Post that the administration is looking at ways that it can reduce barriers to reentering society for those caught up in the drug war, such as a longstanding policy that denies federal financial aid to college students convicted of drug-related offenses, including possession.

Ambinder extensively documents a wide variety of the drug war's consequences, but if the described infirmities concern Obama enough to catalyze the reported shift, his recent policy moves have not shown a particular interest in reflecting that worry.

The president has been repeatedly accused of going back on campaign-era promises regarding deemphasizing enforcement of federal laws against medical marijuana. While Obama said in 2008 that he wouldn't use Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws on medical marijuana, Attorney General Eric Holder later announced that federal authorities would continue to prosecute individuals for marijuana possession, regardless of its legalized status in some states.

The Huffington Post's Lucia Graves reported earlier this year on the administration's harsh record of enforcement:

Since [last June], the administration has unleashed an interagency cannabis crackdown that goes beyond anything seen under the Bush administration, with more than 100 raids, primarily on California pot dispensaries, many of them operating in full compliance with state laws. Since October 2009, the Justice Department has conducted more than 170 aggressive SWAT-style raids in 9 medical marijuana states, resulting in at least 61 federal indictments, according to data compiled by Americans for Safe Access, an advocacy group.

Drug policy reform advocates have pointed to the hypocrisy in the administration's crackdown, especially in the light of reports in a new book that describe a high school-aged Obama with an appetite for marijuana.

In one passage of "Barack Obama: The Story," biographer David Maraniss writes about a pot-smoking habit that the future president became known for among friends in his clique, the "Choom Gang."

"When a joint was making the rounds, he often elbowed his way in, out of turn, shouted 'Intercepted!' and took an extra hit," Maraniss writes.

Some members of the drug policy reform community are meeting reports of a potential drug war retreat with skepticism.

"Obama -- as candidate and as president -- and his drug czar have already repeatedly talked about scaling back the war on drugs. But it's been all talk," Tom Angell, spokesman for Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, said. "Drug Czar Kerlikowske, in his very first interview with the Wall Street Journal after taking office, declared the end of the 'war on drugs' terminology. He has repeatedly said that this is a health and not just a crime issue. But the problem is: the drug control budget still overwhelmingly devotes more resources to old, failed punishment strategies than effective treatment and prevention strategies. The rhetoric doesn't match the reality."

Kevin Sabet, who was a top drug policy adviser in the Obama administration, said that he expects to see more attention paid to the issue, but that legalization advocates won't be happy. "Though it's not the kind of reform legalization advocates might have wanted, the President's drug policy has already been innovative, public health-oriented, and cost-effective. Because its not legalization, it's tough to get a news story out of that," he told HuffPost. "At the same time, no one can say with a straight face that he has used his political capital to talk about drugs, but I do think that if there is a second term we'll see a more vocal president on this issue. There are some significant ways the President can implement a 'smart' policy - one would be to make sure people in recovery are not still paying for past actions that do not represent their current lifestyle. Another would be to meaningfully invest in law enforcement innovations that use the threat of short jail stays to enforce treatment and abstinence. But if legalization advocates are waiting for the President's 'marijuana moment,' my guess is that day will never come. The scientific consensus is that legalization would increase use, especially among kids, and I think that is not something the President wants to happen under his watch."

Angell said he's waiting to see action before he'll believe it. "So while Ambinder's story says the administration will use the 'bully pulpit' to talk about this issue in the second term, they have already done so in the first term," he said. "Sure, maybe the president himself could do more to forcefully champion this debate, but absent any real policy action it's not going to make a difference in the real medical problem of substance abuse, and it's not going to impress anyone."

Demigod
07-17-2012, 06:42 AM
the same way he scaled back setting half the world on "fire"

Working Poor
07-17-2012, 06:44 AM
come on Ron Paul supporters vote for Obammy

GunnyFreedom
07-17-2012, 06:51 AM
come on Ron Paul supporters vote for Obammy

LOL well, in a 'glass-is-half-full' sort of outlook, I'd have to say it is encouraging to see that the two majors feel it's necessary to compete for the liberty vote. Doesn't make this any less of a blatant lie, of course.

Dr.3D
07-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Maybe people would believe him if he did it now instead of later.

pcosmar
07-17-2012, 06:57 AM
I have heard this before.

/ skeptical

:(

fisharmor
07-17-2012, 07:17 AM
The scientific consensus is that legalization would increase use, especially among kids, and I think that is not something the President wants to happen under his watch.
Except in Holland overall drug use actually went down after they decriminalized pot.
Nothing irks me more than when science utterly fails to be scientific.

Kylie
07-17-2012, 07:43 AM
I voted for Obama when he was a senator, and he told me that he wouldn't leave his post to run for President.

He did. Lie #1.

I heard him say that he would close Guantanamo when he was elected.

He didn't. Lie #2.

I recall that the wars were supposed to have ended in his first term.

They didn't. Lie#3.

Tell me again, Mr. President, what in your past is supposed to make me believe you now?

I know the answer already. Nothing. I don't believe you. You lie.

thoughtomator
07-17-2012, 07:49 AM
If Ron Paul were the nominee, Obama would be bashing him for being soft on drugs. Obama is a person who will say absolutely anything to gain approval.

KingRobbStark
07-17-2012, 08:21 AM
He should start by scaling back his political career.

CaptUSA
07-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Gov't Speak:

Ending Wars = Reclassifying troops and open more bases in foreign countries
Cutting Spending = Increasing spending a little bit slower than what we said we wanted to
Cutting Taxes = Increasing tax "credits" for people who do what we tell them to do
Reform = Creating beautiful new bureacracies and miles of red tape designed to allow our lobbyists to profit more
Scale Back = increase the militarization of law enforcement until you are bent over getting a body-cavity search for taking 3 Tylenol instead of 2!

bill1971
07-17-2012, 08:25 AM
He doesn't get it, you can't scale back any war without hurting the soldiers fighting it. You just have to end the war.

Kelly.
07-17-2012, 08:49 AM
that boogie man must have run its course, time to move on to the next one (like we moved to "terrorists" after the "cold war" ended)

Peace Piper
07-17-2012, 09:06 AM
I voted for Obama when he was a senator, and he told me that he wouldn't leave his post to run for President.

He did. Lie #1.
I heard him say that he would close Guantanamo when he was elected.
He didn't. Lie #2.
I recall that the wars were supposed to have ended in his first term.
They didn't. Lie#3.
Tell me again, Mr. President, what in your past is supposed to make me believe you now?
I know the answer already. Nothing. I don't believe you. You lie.

You left out one of the most important and egregious lies that Candidate Obama made:

That he was against Mandatory Health Insurance

He campaigned against Hillary big time on it and ran commercials and went on talk shows to say what a bad idea it was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R-z-fFnuh0

Then he "changed his mind". And since most of the "Elite" Republicans (Huckabee isn't part of that obviously) agreed with the basic concept, and the Media was on his side, there was complete silence.

Actually, it's hard to find many campaign promises he made that he has kept at all. D'Rats don't seem to care a bit.

He is a bald faced liar, and a con man but he grins alot (probably because he can't really believe anyone still believes him)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1457/obamalaughing1.jpg

Bill Clinton stabbed the Traditional Democrats in the back, but they said Ohhh Billy that feels so good...
Now Barry Hussein comes along and swings a baseball bat across their knees and they still want more...

He is the Worst Democrat Ever Elected, if one believed in the "traditional" democratic values of the early 1900's.

Romney can't take advantage of that of course, because there is no real difference.

ClydeCoulter
07-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Gov't Speak:

Ending Wars = Reclassifying troops and open more bases in foreign countries
Cutting Spending = Increasing spending a little bit slower than what we said we wanted to
Cutting Taxes = Increasing tax "credits" for people who do what we tell them to do
Reform = Creating beautiful new bureacracies and miles of red tape designed to allow our lobbyists to profit more
Scale Back = increase the militarization of law enforcement until you are bent over getting a body-cavity search for taking 3 Tylenol instead of 2!

Transparency = Invisible like the wind, don't know what's it doing.

asurfaholic
07-17-2012, 09:18 AM
What I don't understand is, if he feels like a change needs to be made regarding the drug war, why not just make the change? He's already president, its not like a candidate saying "if I become president, then I will ______". Why wait until you are re elected? Are there really people out there stupid enough not to see right through this?

Is this another attempt to excite his young black voting base, and nothing more? Im starting to really hate this country for the trash it has become...

CaptUSA
07-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Are there really people out there stupid enough not to see right through this?

When you find the answer to this question, you will find it answers your other questions as well.

Keith and stuff
07-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Except in Holland overall drug use actually went down after they decriminalized pot.
Nothing irks me more than when science utterly fails to be scientific.

I think the same thing happened in Portugal too.