PDA

View Full Version : Political Careers for us

Nate K
11-16-2007, 10:48 PM
It's been discussed before that no matter what we should try to seek a political positions to change the country around, because ron paul won't be around forever. I've been into politics my whole life so i'm pretty set on majoring in it and then going out for some related job. The problem is i don't know what all is out there. There's the state house and all the local positions that would be easier to get than the federal government. Does anybody have info on this? (positions of local, state government, etc.)

Does anybody else plan on going out for a related career?

Akus
11-16-2007, 10:57 PM
I don't know how it's done in PA, but here, to make a new GOP, we have to become delegates for our precinct, then move up the ladder. The good part is that we are young. A good chunk of us wasn't even old enough to vote Bush/Kerry, let alone Bush/Gore. The neocons are dying dinosaurs and we will replace them by simply outliving them.

I want to get locally active. I full intend to, too.

garrettwombat
11-16-2007, 10:57 PM
i truly believe that people should be more concerned with local government than big government... if we would all take the time to vote for honest commissioners, senators, representatives... than it would work like a house of cards bringing down the crooked people on top.

jasonhlasvegas2008
11-16-2007, 11:16 PM
If you sign a modified version of this pledge I will support you, and send you a campaign contribution!

I, (candidate), hereby pledge that if elected President of the United States I will undertake the following to restore the Constitution’s checks and balances, to honor fundamental protections against injustice, and to eschew usurpations oflegislative or judicial power.These are keystones of national security and individual freedom:

1. No Military Commissions Except on the Battlefield. I will not employ military commissions to prosecute offenses against the laws of war except in places where active hostilities are ongoing and a battlefield tribunal is necessary to obtain fresh testimony and to prevent local anarchy or chaos.

2. No Evidence Extracted by Torture or Coercion. I will not permit the use of evidence obtained by torture or coercion to be admissible in a military commission or other tribunal.

3. No Detaining Citizens as Unlawful Enemy Combatants. I will not detain any American citizen as an unlawful enemy combatant. Citizens accused of terrorism-linked crimes will be prosecuted in federal civilian courts.

4. RestoringHabeas Corpus for Suspected Alien Enemy Combatants. I will detain non-citizens as enemy combatants only if they have actively participated in actual hostilities against the United States. I will urge Congress to amend the Military Commissions Act of 2006 to permit any individual detained under the custody or control of the United States government to file a petition for a writ of habeas corpus in federal courts.

5. Prohibiting Warrantless Spying bythe National Security Agency in Violation of Law. I will prohibit the National Security Agency from gathering foreign intelligence except in conformity with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978, and end the NSA’s domestic surveillance program that targets American citizens on American soil for warrantless electronic surveillance.

6. Renouncing Presidential Signing Statements. I will not issue presidential signing statements declaring the intent to disregard provisions of a bill that I have signed into law because I believe they are unconstitutional. Instead, I will veto any bill that I believe contains an unconstitutional provision and ask Congress to delete it and re-pass the legislation.

7. Ending Secret Government by Invoking State Secrets Privilege. I will not invoke the state secrets privilege to deny remedies to individuals victimized by constitutional violations perpetrated by government officials or agents. I will not assert executive privilege to deny Congress information relevant to oversight or legislation unless supreme state secrets are involved. In that case, I will submit the privilege claim to a legislative-executive committee for definitive resolution.

8. Stopping Extraordinary Renditions. I will order the cessation of extraordinary renditions except where the purpose of the capture and transportation of the suspected criminal is for prosecution according to internationally accepted standards of fairness and due process.

9. Stopping Threats to Prosecuting Journalists under the Espionage Act. I will urge Congress to amend the Espionage Act to create a journalistic exception for reporting on matters relating to the national defense. As a matter of prosecutorial discretion, until such an amendment is enacted I will not prosecute journalists for alleged Espionage Act violations except for the intentional disclosure of information that threatens immediate physical harm to American troops or citizens at home or abroad.

10. Ending the Listing of Individuals or Organizations as Terrorists Based on Secret Evidence. I will not list individuals or organizations as foreign terrorists or foreign terrorist organizations for purposes of United States or international law based on secret evidence.

I will issue a public report annually elaborating on how the actions enumerated in paragraphs 1-10 have strengthened the ability of the United States to defeat international terrorism, secure fundamental freedoms, and preserve the nation’s democratic dispensation.

(Candidate)

Date: ______________________

Nate K
11-17-2007, 12:32 AM
what are some local positions you can run for if you were to begin a political career? that's my question.

hard@work
11-17-2007, 12:34 AM
It's been discussed before that no matter what we should try to seek a political positions to change the country around, because ron paul won't be around forever. I've been into politics my whole life so i'm pretty set on majoring in it and then going out for some related job. The problem is i don't know what all is out there. There's the state house and all the local positions that would be easier to get than the federal government. Does anybody have info on this? (positions of local, state government, etc.)

Does anybody else plan on going out for a related career?

I'm really thinking about it. I do not think I would ever run for office but you never know. I definatley have decided that if there is an opportunity to get involved in politics as a career that I will take it.

EvilEngineer
11-17-2007, 12:35 AM
Same question I have. I never thought about being in politics till Dr. Paul... now that my eyes are open I see a great need for more honest people to take up key positions to protect everyone. I'm thinking about in a couple of years running in District 10 of Texas, for some position. Don't know what at the moment.

jasonhlasvegas2008
11-17-2007, 12:36 AM
what are some local positions you can run for if you were to begin a political career? that's my question.

Go to your county's election department website.

newmedia4ron
11-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Lets use our power to win seats in the congress.

People we should consider helping:

Theodore Terbolizard (http://terbocongress.com/)

Dr. Eric Schansberg (http://www.schansbergforcongress.com/)

Dean Santoro (http://www.politicalgateway.com/cand.php?id=684&page=cand)

Michael Doherty (currently an Assemblyman in NJ)

Kinky Friedman?

Just imagine the power we have to influence politics.

Anyone else I should add? I like making lists.

garrettwombat
11-17-2007, 12:38 AM

well you certainly could start out as a deligate!

but usually the lowest form of government starts out with commissioners... and is the easiest to run for. my mom ran for commissioner a couple years back, just get some support from business and other well known people around your area.

beware though, just because its local government doesnt mean it also isnt currupt....

when my mom ran they had 2 of the ballot boxes stolen when the voting took place...

and at the time i was about 16 years old, and i had some man come up to me and threaten that if my mom didnt pull out then i was going to end up in a ditch... so yea... dont let the currupt asses discourage you though.

me3
11-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Read Mark Sanford's wikipedia page. It's a pretty good example of how to start out, what's required and how to aim at different levels as you move up.

justinc.1089
11-17-2007, 12:43 AM
I have basically changed my goal in life thanks to being so inspired by Ron Paul. He has helped me to realize that democracy really does work, and that it is not something that just gradually gives way to tyranny through sorry leaders like we have now. I used to want to become a successful businessman and a successful illusionist, but now I want to become involved in politics to do what I can for this country.

So you can count on the fact that when I have enough money or influence I will be running to win some political office.

I think there are 4 things that need to be discussed on here AFTER the primary:

1. HOW people are going to ultimately hopefully end up in Congress, like the path to take to get there from low local office to Congress.

2. A PLEDGE that they must sign, even if they are part of our grassroots movement. But we need to keep in mind unless they stick to a consitutional limited government voting record they will not continue to have our support.

3. PEOPLE we want to elect based on their records, which also brings up CRITERIA for voting records if we choose people already in office.

4. A LIST which needs to be small of people we want to focus on electing during each election cycle.

But like I said, we need to focus on getting Paul elected right now. Then we will focus on this stuff. It would be great if Paul is elected and ends up only being the tip of the spear of the tip of the iceberg!

newmedia4ron
11-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Couldn't we easily win the House seats of the Austin, TX area?

Isn't the largest RP meetup group there?

justinc.1089
11-17-2007, 12:50 AM
We could have our pick of any election we so choose to win, possibly even more than one election at a time. I mean here we are having a huge impact on a presidential election. If we're a significant factor in that, then that means we can win any other election, and possibly even more than one smaller elections. I tend to think if we aimed at electing a Representative, we could go for 2 at a time and win with both probably.

But, I think the way to go would be to produce politicians from our own grassroots, and move them up as quick as possible. Then we could elect from them based on best records Representatives, and from those Representatives Senators, and from Senators maybe a president again somewhere way down the road!

singapore_sling
11-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Im also a senior in HS and will be majoring in Political Science or International Relations next year. Im so inspired by Ron, I want to be involved in politics and follow his example of following the constitution =]. I've always loved constitutional law from a young age too.

justinc.1089
11-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Well Political Science is good and all, but I tend to think its more important to have a lot of money to get far in politics than it is to have a political science degree. I'm going to major in business so I can hopefully make decent money to be able to get into politics and just minor in political science.

But things like this are why we're going to need to discuss a path into politics for those of us that are going to try to step up in time.

newmedia4ron
11-17-2007, 01:00 AM
What are we anyway?

http://www.primarilypaul.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/join-or-die.jpg

I guess we just unite under Liberty, the Constitution and Integrity.

jasonhlasvegas2008
11-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Another avenue that is a little more direct is the ballot measure. In some states you have the ability to pass many laws through the power of direct democracy. All you need is people power, and two or three pairs of tennis shoes per volunteer.

Johncjackson
11-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Don't be a career politician. Politics is a terrible choice for a career. Do something else. Be a capitalist, and get involved in other ways.

acstichter
11-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Local offices are city council, school boards, commissioners and then State Senator and Representatives.

In the parties, you have Precinct Committeemen, Precinct Captains, District Chairman/Vice/Treas/Secr, County Chairman/Vice/Treas/Secr as some examples. As you go to the meetings as a PC you will have to meet people and be friendly and try to build a rolodex of names you can call and rely on past conversations to ask for their support in an election. They may ask you to favor their way on some position like water or roads. This is where politics comes in. Be honest to yourself and your values and try to choose the right path.

And READ, READ, READ. Know your politicians, past policy battles, current policy battles, who supported who.

Also, Constitutional issues might not pop up as much locally. It will be more of a spending battle. Who gets to spend what and for whom. This is where politics gets dirty. Money breeds bad things. Stay clean and authentic and ask WWRPD?

When starting out, volunteer. People need help and love when they get it. Man GOP booths, hit the pavement, register people to vote. Bring in some other helpful volunteers and they will love you 3 times as much!

DISCLAIMER: None of this is from personal experience. I just became a PC this month but I've got my feet wet and the waters nice. But I've been listening to people and getting a foothold on what to expect. At the first distric meeting I met a state rep, some judges, a city council member and some rep candidates. And guess what they love liberty and small govt as well!

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 01:21 AM
If you sign a modified version of this pledge I will support you, and send you a campaign contribution!

I, (candidate), hereby pledge that if elected President of the United States I will undertake the following to restore the Constitution’s checks and balances, to honor fundamental protections against injustice, and to eschew usurpations oflegislative or judicial power.These are keystones of national security and individual freedom:

1. No Military Commissions Except on the Battlefield. I will not employ military commissions to prosecute offenses against the laws of war except in places where active hostilities are ongoing and a battlefield tribunal is necessary to obtain fresh testimony and to prevent local anarchy or chaos.

2. No Evidence Extracted by Torture or Coercion. I will not permit the use of evidence obtained by torture or coercion to be admissible in a military commission or other tribunal.

3. No Detaining Citizens as Unlawful Enemy Combatants. I will not detain any American citizen as an unlawful enemy combatant. Citizens accused of terrorism-linked crimes will be prosecuted in federal civilian courts.

4. RestoringHabeas Corpus for Suspected Alien Enemy Combatants. I will detain non-citizens as enemy combatants only if they have actively participated in actual hostilities against the United States. I will urge Congress to amend the Military Commissions Act of 2006 to permit any individual detained under the custody or control of the United States government to file a petition for a writ of habeas corpus in federal courts.

5. Prohibiting Warrantless Spying bythe National Security Agency in Violation of Law. I will prohibit the National Security Agency from gathering foreign intelligence except in conformity with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978, and end the NSA’s domestic surveillance program that targets American citizens on American soil for warrantless electronic surveillance.

6. Renouncing Presidential Signing Statements. I will not issue presidential signing statements declaring the intent to disregard provisions of a bill that I have signed into law because I believe they are unconstitutional. Instead, I will veto any bill that I believe contains an unconstitutional provision and ask Congress to delete it and re-pass the legislation.

7. Ending Secret Government by Invoking State Secrets Privilege. I will not invoke the state secrets privilege to deny remedies to individuals victimized by constitutional violations perpetrated by government officials or agents. I will not assert executive privilege to deny Congress information relevant to oversight or legislation unless supreme state secrets are involved. In that case, I will submit the privilege claim to a legislative-executive committee for definitive resolution.

8. Stopping Extraordinary Renditions. I will order the cessation of extraordinary renditions except where the purpose of the capture and transportation of the suspected criminal is for prosecution according to internationally accepted standards of fairness and due process.

9. Stopping Threats to Prosecuting Journalists under the Espionage Act. I will urge Congress to amend the Espionage Act to create a journalistic exception for reporting on matters relating to the national defense. As a matter of prosecutorial discretion, until such an amendment is enacted I will not prosecute journalists for alleged Espionage Act violations except for the intentional disclosure of information that threatens immediate physical harm to American troops or citizens at home or abroad.

10. Ending the Listing of Individuals or Organizations as Terrorists Based on Secret Evidence. I will not list individuals or organizations as foreign terrorists or foreign terrorist organizations for purposes of United States or international law based on secret evidence.

I will issue a public report annually elaborating on how the actions enumerated in paragraphs 1-10 have strengthened the ability of the United States to defeat international terrorism, secure fundamental freedoms, and preserve the nation’s democratic dispensation.

(Candidate)

I will be running for US representative of New Yorks 4th District in 2012, that's the plan.

justinc.1089
11-17-2007, 01:21 AM
Yeah when being involved with politics locally, its best to aim for small government as usual. While spending for some things may not be actually unconstitutional because its local, that still does not make it right.

Keep in mind the states can do A LOT constitutionally. Does that make it ok? NO.

So don't do it or vote for it. Even if you think you won't win.

And if you know you can't win with your positions, then go somewhere where you can, and let us help.

justinc.1089
11-17-2007, 01:23 AM
I will be running for US representative of New Yorks 4th District in 2012, that's the plan.

Cool, what are you running on? Like what are the issues and where do you stand? What party? (just curious, its really not too important lol)

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 01:31 AM
I pretty much agree verbatim with the Ron Paul stance on most things, although just cause I wouldn't legislate I'd still advocate using the influence of being a congressman to give people legitimacy to effort I feel are noble in the private sector. Like if a company starts research on hemp ethanol or sugarcane, I'd be against subsidies, but I'd be willing to do a commercial for them for free to help bring awareness.

Like Ron Paul, I don't think the Fed should legislate almost anything, but I think the position as a federal politician gives you clout to make change informally.

But my main issues are economy and Foreign Policy like Ron Paul, s it's really hard for me to think of any big differences... except I'd be for a completely open currency market instead of just the dollar competing against gold and silver.

So Like Ron Paul, I'd vote no on almost everything. I'd do my best though to be active in my district and use my status to motivate behavior.

I mean, do you have more specific questions. I mean I'm going for the US congress, so there isn't much I should be doing. My main goal would be to get more votes to get rid of the IRS and Fed.

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 01:31 AM
I'd more than likely run as a libertarian, which is why I am annoucning my intentions so early to help build that following, it takes star power for third party breakthrough.

justinc.1089
11-17-2007, 01:33 AM
Sounds good to me lol. I think Paul is for letting any currencies compete though, not just reserve notes, gold, and silver. I'm very sure I have heard him say that somewhere, but I can't remember where.

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 01:35 AM
he talked about it on FoxBusiness he's more for the Dollar Gold and Silver, but he's not against completley open market, but he's more for the former

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 01:37 AM
I think he just doesn't want it to be like the old days where everyone had their own currency, he'd still allow investing in the foreign exchange market, but I don't think he'd feel letting foreign currencies become legal tender might infringe on our sovereignty similar to why he's against the national trade alliance.

justinc.1089
11-17-2007, 01:38 AM
Well he knows that gold backed money is the best currency, so he mentions it the most. But I feel fairly confident he is for legalizing any competing currency.

If it works out for you I will do what I can to help you get elected probably.

justinc.1089
11-17-2007, 01:39 AM
I think he just doesn't want it to be like the old days where everyone had their own currency, he'd still allow investing in the foreign exchange market, but I don't think he'd feel letting foreign currencies become legal tender might infringe on our sovereignty similar to why he's against the national trade alliance.

Yes I think you're right there. I don't think he would legalize currencies like the euro or the zen or other currencies that are related to specific countries. But I think at the very minimum we would have fed currency, gold currency, and silver currency at least.

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Yeah, it's funny I never intended to go int that direction till now, but I was always voted most political in superlatives

justinc.1089
11-17-2007, 01:46 AM
Yeah I never considered getting into politics either until Paul. But lately in my sociology class a few people have been saying things to me like most people are not on the same page as me, that I have a gift for speaking out intelligently about things, or that they are going to be electing me one day. And its only because I wholeheartedly disagree with the socialist retoric my professor spews out constantly. I imagine its frustrating for her to spew out socialist ideas only to have me rationally and effectively counter them, but I must be doing something right because I have almost got her deciding to vote for Ron Paul.

Imagine that, a socialist voting for Ron Paul?!:confused::)

LBT
11-17-2007, 01:50 AM
Don't be a career politician. Politics is a terrible choice for a career. Do something else. Be a capitalist, and get involved in other ways.

I'd agree in one way, that someone shouldn't pursue politics as their career, but they may choose it as a sacrifice, as Ron Paul did.

Those who want security in the political game get bought and owned. That's why Ron Paul is a very rare fellow.

Anyway, if someone has their heart set on sacrificing themselves in politics, I highly suggest they become very familiar with Austrian Economics and the work of the Mises Institute ( www.mises.org ).

It is the firm and logicial principles of Austrian Economics that have helped steer Ron Paul on the right course. If one isn't sure about what policy is best or not best, then they are soon tempted to compromise for political advantage.

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Nah, I'll have a career on the side for sure, I'm trained in marketing a cultural studies, and know a lot of random web design and other stuff. I'm graduate next month, so we'll see what happens.

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 01:55 AM
I made something a little bit more sophisticated for the Liberty Independence Alliance, this is the network for those of us that want to help get each other into office to spread the message of Liberty, click on the lin in my sig. Sign up now, but I won't really be pushing it until after the elections.

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 02:01 AM
I just added a letter on the main page, what do you guys think?

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 09:56 AM
bump

LBT
11-17-2007, 09:59 AM
I just added a letter on the main page, what do you guys think?
uhmm...link please

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 10:03 AM
it's in my my sit but here's another one:
http://libertyia.ning.com/ I plan on getting a domain for it soon, as again, we get closer to the end of the campaign, and organizing for other candidates is closer on the priority list.
I also want to start a PAC for this, so if anyone wants to be treasure in the NY area, that'd be cool.

StrikerV
11-17-2007, 10:04 AM
I think we need to all start getting involved and who will be our next Ron Paul?

This man is amazing from his personal life to his message to his political career. WOW

Ron is 72, so he cant live forever... so start studying up everyone :)

Mark
11-17-2007, 10:06 AM

(Candidate)

Wow.. NICE!! :)

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Again, read the letter I wrote @ http://merced2012.ning.com about how I'm srt of putting myelf out there for people to sort of shape and mold. I mean it'd be 16 years before I an run for prez, but you guys can make sure I stay true over the years and have a well documented honest political journey.Just a thought.

Nate K
11-17-2007, 10:20 AM
So are some of you saying it would be better to major in business/marketing and minor in politics?

AlexMerced
11-17-2007, 10:23 AM
no, learn whatever you want, though a background in business or history wouldn't hurt

jasonjasonjason1
12-21-2007, 10:30 PM
So are some of you saying it would be better to major in business/marketing and minor in politics?

It's a hell of a lot easier to keep from bending/selling out when you aren't dependent on winning office for survival.

torchbearer
12-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Usually, depending on funding, you should start TV and Radio ads no sooner than a couple of months for local elections.. the lower your funds, the closer to the election you should start.
Think of it this way...
Start booking time starting on the election day, then work backwards. You don't need the commercial already produced to book the time. So, as you get money, book ad time starting on your election day, then work backwards.
Yard signs will pay dividends... in a state house race, you should aim at raising about $25,000.... $300,000 for a congressional race. If you can't get $1000 from family, you are in trouble.
Set up times to visit "power centers"... you will need to speak to your local fire departments, police departments, city halls, civic groups, charity groups, etc. do not think that ads alone can garner support.
Don't be humble... be a self-promoter(unless you have a campaign staff)...if you can afford it, get a treasurer. This will save you tons of headaches, i know... i've made the mistake of not having one...

Hit the nursing homes....they vote.

There is so much more... but i could go on for days on this topic... but funding is #1. no funding equals no ability to get your message out. Be confident and be bold... speak from the heart... be real... be true. Go negative only if there is a real negative people need to know in order to make an informed choice, don't make it personal, make it policy.

torchbearer
12-21-2007, 10:46 PM
^^^

torchbearer
12-21-2007, 11:03 PM
^^^

torchbearer
12-22-2007, 12:05 AM
bump

Nate K
01-02-2008, 06:45 AM
thanks for hitting this thread up it's important.

so i would start my career in politics by running for county commissioner? what should i know about that, what are things i'll have to do to win and what would my role be if i did win?