PDA

View Full Version : CA-San Fran considers adopting NYC policy of cops randomly stopping and frisking people.

Anti Federalist
06-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Ya, 'Murica!!

And of course, this comes as crime rates are at historic lows.

'Stop And Frisk' In San Francisco? Mayor Considers Adopting Controversial Policy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/29/stop-and-frisk-in-san-francisco_n_1639012.html

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee said he is considering implementing the controversial stop-and-frisk policy used in other major cities including New York and Philadelphia to reduce violent crime.

Lee told the San Francisco Chronicle's editorial board Wednesday that police officers need stop-and-frisk to get guns off the streets.

"This is under consideration as a way to make sure that we keep homicides and some of these other violent crime(s) down," Lee said. "I think we have to get to the guns. I know we have to find a different way to get to these weapons, and I'm very willing to consider what other cities are doing."

A former civil rights lawyer, Lee concedes that the policy is controversial and said he will likely be tagged for racial profiling. Lee said he wants to explore the idea after discussing the policy with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Civil rights groups have criticized stop-and-frisk as racial profiling, saying the policy disproportionately affects Hispanics and blacks. Thousands of demonstrators marched through New York's streets this month to protest stop-and-frisk.

Lee's revelation also comes as a surprise as San Francisco's violent crime rate in 2011 dropped for a third straight year, hovering at historic lows not seen since the 1960s and mirroring a current national trend.

San Francisco had 50 homicides last year, the same number as 2010 and slightly higher than 46 in 2009, but far fewer than the 98 murders in 2008. Meanwhile, neighboring Oakland had 110 homicides in 2011.

Alan Schlosser, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California, said he's shocked that Lee is considering bringing stop-and-frisk to San Francisco.

"San Francisco for years has tried to develop ... policies that reduce racial profiling," Schlosser said. "This just seems like a total reverse of that."

There have been 38 homicides in San Francisco this year, including an alarming 10 so far in June - one of the deadliest months in recent memory.

Police Chief Greg Suhr said Wednesday that shootings overall are down 10 percent year to date.

"We know we're doing it right," said Suhr, whom Lee selected as chief last year. "We have no interest in racially profiling here. ... I think we're more of the model in the country on how to do it right."

Suhr said Lee takes hearing the news of shootings in the city very personally.

"He's more upset than I can tell you," Suhr said.

However, the chief is confident that once the mayor "hears the downside of this and how it was not well received in New York or Philadelphia or by law enforcement in general, he'll see that's not the best way to do business here."

On Thursday, Suhr reiterated his stance, adding that suspects are detained solely on reasonable suspicion.

"We do not racially profile in San Francisco," Suhr said. "And we never will."

coastie
06-30-2012, 12:33 PM
There have been 38 homicides in San Francisco this year, including an alarming 10 so far in June - one of the deadliest months in recent memory.

Police Chief Greg Suhr said Wednesday that shootings overall are down 10 percent year to date.

So the point of implementing this, is what, again? That entire area is in the midst of historic drop in violent crime, along with the rest of the country.

WHEN THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE GONNA WAKE UP TO THIS SHIT!!!???
:mad:

Anti Federalist
07-01-2012, 08:25 PM
bump for another thread

jkr
07-01-2012, 08:33 PM
So the point of implementing this, is what, again? That entire area is in the midst of historic drop in violent crime, along with the rest of the country.

dehey be drunk on da drink mon

aloneinthewilderness
07-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Racial profiling is the biggest problem they see with this? Why is "we have a Bill of Rights" not a winning argument? I guess that's a rhetorical question, because I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

TheTexan
07-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Now it's get guns off the street, next it's get guns out of the homes

Anti Federalist
07-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Racial profiling is the biggest problem they see with this? Why is "we have a Bill of Rights" not a winning argument? I guess that's a rhetorical question, because I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

That way, when it's done in a "racially sensitive" way, no one will be able to bitch.

Anti Federalist
07-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Now it's get guns off the street, next it's get guns out of the homes

Mind if I come in and have a look around, citizen?

It's already being done, by the way, it's called a "knock and talk".

What to do During a Police “Knock and Talk”

http://www.freedomisgreen.com/what-to-do-during-a-police-knock-and-talk/

Here in NJ, police euphemistically call one of their marijuana related operations a “knock and talk”, though it can often be anything but. When police suspect that marijuana may be grown in a household, they organize multiple agencies to “respond” on a predetermined date and time to the location – a show of force. (Indeed during cross examination police have conceded that a “ knock and talk” is organized just as a forcible search warrant raid would be.)

It usually goes down like this: Police have only a mere suspicion that folks are growing marijuana in their homes. Maybe they have been tipped off by informants at a growing supply store (which, of course, sell an entire range of legal articles) or maybe the police have done an illegal drive-by thermal imaging of a house to see if heat from some kind of grow situation exists.

(As an aside, its illegal for police to do a thermal imaging scan of a home without a warrant. But if they do perform one and then intimidate the owners to “consent to a search,” the illegality often goes by the wayside, as the law will see the consent as “ curing” the illegality.)

In any event, for the “ knock and talk,” police show up in force. Some go to each entry or exit of the residence. (Query if its just a knock and talk, by virtue of what right would cops have to stop anyone from leaving the house and refusing to talk. None, really). Yet too often faced with intentional, intimidating show of force, people often “consent” to let police in their homes. At that point, cops usually talk the occupants into signing a “consent to search form” by misleading them. Once signed, the form will allow police to search all areas of the residence and every nook and cranny, totally tossing the contents about if the police wish.

The best advice to deal with a “knock and talk” is to simply not open the door and certainly not to allow police the consent to search the home. When speaking with police, one should be extremely hesitant to sign anything, like a consent from, without a lawyer present. Since police have no search warrant when conducting a knock and talk, it is not necessary to open the door. One could speak through the door if he or she wishes. Stories are legion about how, once inside the house, police allege that they smell marijuana and can then get an actual warrant.

The “knock and talk” is a bit of NJ legal schizophrenia. Because of proven abuses with racial profiling, police need a reasonable basis to even ask to search a car. But, our Supreme Court has reasoned, the home was not the site of such abuses – despite the inherently intimidating and abusive nature of the “knock and talk.”

Lastly, it bears repeating that purchasers of growing equipment, even online, have been regularly subjected to “knock and talks.” In fact, to help shed light on the issue, it would be helpful to start gathering details of “knock and talks” that netted nothing other than legal indoor growing materials

Keith and stuff
07-01-2012, 10:05 PM

It is San Fran. There is no waking up! After all, San Francisco banned the red pill.

Anti Federalist
07-02-2012, 01:19 PM
////

Brian4Liberty
07-02-2012, 02:07 PM
"This is under consideration as a way to make sure that we keep homicides and some of these other violent crime(s) down," Lee said. "I think we have to get to the guns. I know we have to find a different way to get to these weapons, and I'm very willing to consider what other cities are doing."

This is about gun control. SF is notorious for do-nothing Police. You can be getting mugged on the sidewalk and the Police will turn around and walk away.

Anti Federalist
07-11-2012, 12:38 AM
bump for relevance