PDA

View Full Version : Massie resigns as Lewis County judge-executive

Jeremy
06-30-2012, 06:58 AM
http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/state/massie-resigns-as-lewis-county-judge-executive/article_8e50201d-6e2e-5e7f-8959-3856f1e1ffc6.html

Republican congressional candidate Thomas Massie has submitted his resignation as Lewis County judge-executive, effective midnight Saturday.
Massie told The Associated Press on Friday that he is stepping aside so that he can spend more time on his 4th District race against Democrat Bill Adkins, a northern Kentucky attorney.

Massie breezed through the May primary with the political and financial clout of the tea party behind him, beating a field of seven Republicans, including two well-established candidates, state Rep. Alecia Webb-Edgington and Boone County Judge-Executive Gary Moore.

In winning the GOP nomination, Massie became the overwhelming favorite in the November general election in a district that has a history of electing Republicans.

Massie sent his resignation letter Friday to Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear, who will appoint a successor.

roho76
06-30-2012, 07:16 AM
Thanks for this. TM is so inspiring. He will be the next RP IMO. I find my self reading his massie house blog all the time.

I sure hope he is added to the ranks of Amash come the election. :)

Bastiat's The Law
06-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Hopefully we can have another liberty candidate take over his old position.

Aratus
07-01-2012, 03:16 AM
who gets to pick his replacement?
Governor Beshear is a Democrat!!!
will there be a special election???

cheapseats
07-01-2012, 06:18 AM
who gets to pick his replacement?
Governor Beshear is a Democrat!!!
will there be a special election???

Democratic Governor appoints replacement.

Republican congressional candidateThomas Massie has submitted his resignation as Lewis County judge-executive, effective midnight Saturday...

...Massie sent his resignation letter Friday to Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear, who will appoint a successor.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/state/massie-resigns-as-lewis-county-judge-executive/article_8e50201d-6e2e-5e7f-8959-3856f1e1ffc6.html

TWO WEEKS NOTICE is an old-fashioned, one might say CONSERVATIVE, concept.

Cowlesy
07-01-2012, 07:49 AM
I bet the good ole boys of the county are cheering that they can get back to business as usual, wasting the county coffers. No more Thomas to keep them in line!

Sola_Fide
07-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Here, Thomas explains why he did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYxR9ShIc-c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

thomas-in-ky
07-01-2012, 01:02 PM
I stepped down because it was the right thing to do, and because I promised to do it. I clearly conveyed these intentions before the election, and lost not a single precinct in my county. The decision means that I will forfeit about $40,000 of salary for the last 6 months of this year. But it also means that the people of my county will have a choice (an election for my successor) on November 6th instead of waiting for two years to have an election. Perhaps most importantly, it means I can focus on the Congressional race and responsibilities, and I owe that to the republican primary voters in the 4th Congressional District of Kentucky who chose me as the nominee.

I have taken great pains to leave the office, the infrastructure, and the fiscal condition of the county in better shape than when I took over. I am confident that the Governor will appoint a responsible interim judge executive (who will serve until the November election) , and I am sincerely committed to helping the interim appointee in any way possible.

Incidentally, I have had some great discussions with several "notable" US Representatives and Senators since the primary, and I am very excited to go up there and help return fiscal responsibility and constitutionally limited government to Washington DC ! Likewise, they are eager to have my help. Thank you again to everyone on the forums who helped in ways both large and small.

seyferjm
07-01-2012, 05:58 PM
I wish that you were across the river in Cincinnati, we need a new Congressman in my district.

Bastiat's The Law
07-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I bet the good ole boys of the county are cheering that they can get back to business as usual, wasting the county coffers. No more Thomas to keep them in line!
We have to hold the line whenever we get one of our guys in office and what I mean by that is we need people on the bench step up and fill those open spots when another one of our guys advances. We should never concede an office back to the establishment, not even dog catcher.

Sola_Fide
07-02-2012, 12:36 PM
I promised to do it. I clearly conveyed these intentions before the election...

...the decision means that I will forfeit about $40,000 of salary for the last 6 months of this year. But it also means that the people of my county will have a choice (an election for my successor) on November 6th instead of waiting for two years to have an election...

So, you're following through on your word and acting out on principle rather than financial gain? Sounds like a great start. Someone should write about that. Sounds like someone else I know.

amisspelledword
07-03-2012, 09:58 AM
I wish that you were across the river in Cincinnati, we need a new Congressman in my district.

then you should run!

Aratus
07-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Thomas Massie just did the right thing and I admire him!

cheapseats
07-03-2012, 02:15 PM
TWO WEEKS NOTICE is an old-fashioned, one might say CONSERVATIVE, concept.

...I have taken great pains to leave the office, the infrastructure, and the fiscal condition of the county in better shape than when I took over. I am confident that the Governor will appoint a responsible interim judge executive (who will serve until the November election) , and I am sincerely committed to helping the interim appointee in any way possible...

Thomas Massie just did the right thing and I admire him!

I am a BIG FAN of people relinquishing one office to run around campaigning for promotion.

That said, IF YOU DETERMINE THAT YOU ARE LEAVING YOUR POSITION IN BETTER SHAPE THAN WHEN YOU ASSUMED IT, YOU ARE EXONERATED FROM TWO WEEKS NOTICE is not a message that is responsibly disseminated to Up & Comers.

EMPLOYERS will back me up on that.

steph3n
07-04-2012, 07:36 PM
He gave far more than two weeks notice, he said when he won the primary that he would be leaving the position.