PDA

View Full Version : NV-Good cops? Group of cops sue NHP and LVMP over drug dogs trained to give positives.

Anti Federalist
06-29-2012, 12:35 PM
At first glance, this looks like good cops.

They are suing because the dogs were trained specifically to give off false positives.

Nevada State Troopers: Our Drug Dogs Are a Con

http://www.theagitator.com/2012/06/29/new-hampshire-state-troopers-our-drug-dogs-are-a-con/

Friday, June 29th, 2012

This seems like a big deal:

A group of Nevada Highway Patrol troopers and a retired police sergeant have filed a racketeering complaint against the NHP and Las Vegas Metro Police in U.S. District Court.

The complaint alleges that after then-Gov. Jim Gibbons approved a K-9 program to target drug runners on Nevada’s highways, Nevada Highway Patrol Commander Chris Perry intentionally undermined the program.

The complaint alleges that the drug-sniffing dogs used by troopers in the program were intentionally being trained to operate as so-called trick ponies, or dogs that provide officers false alerts for the presence of drugs.

The dogs were being trained to alert their handlers by cues, instead of by picking up a drug’s scent by sniffing, the complaint said. When a dog gives a false alert, this resulted in illegal searches and seizures, including money and property, the complaint said.
I haven’t had a chance to read the complaint, but you can check it out here.

roho76
06-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Looks like a certain group is going to loose their pensions in the not so distant future. Maybe they'll all get suicided.

phill4paul
06-29-2012, 01:15 PM
I wish them well. I hope they inspire others.

roho76
06-29-2012, 01:22 PM
I think they should get rid of the dogs all together. They are unpredictable at best. Peoples livelihoods should not be left up to a dog.