PDA

View Full Version : [VIDEO] HBO's "The Newsroom" vs. Mainstream Media Lies

Constitutional Paulicy
06-28-2012, 01:46 AM
The show "The Newsroom" premiered on HBO on Sunday. The first episode tells the story of several journalists with a passion to speak truth to power, and the desire to bring the fourth branch of power back into the American television. RT's Anastasia Churkina looks at how the truths about journalism expressed in the show are more honest than what Americans see and hear on real TV news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GggCB01ofFY&feature=youtube_gdata

You can watch the first episode on line here.........

http://www.hbo.com/#/the-newsroom/episodes/1/01-we-just-decided-to/video/full-episode.html/eNrjcmbOYM7XLMtMSc13zEvMqSzJTHbOzytJrShRz89JgQkFJK an+iXmpjIXcjIysoGgdGJpSX5BTmKlbUlRaSoAUBcXOA==

Or download the torrent here........

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7384991/The_Newsroom_2012_S01E01_HDTV_XviD-AFG%5Bettv%5D

angelatc
06-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Wow - all I've heard is how horrible the show is. One example was that they crab about the infant death rates - with the US being number 178, except they don't mention that on that list Afghanistan is #1. And they don't mention that the US reports every baby who draws a single breath outside the womb as a live birth, while most other nations adjust for preemies and such.

I think i'll pass.

Constitutional Paulicy
06-28-2012, 03:07 AM
Wow - all I've heard is how horrible the show is.

Where did you hear this discussion? I'd like to hear what people are saying about it. Which is one of the reasons I started this thread. Can you provide a link? Thanks.

Koz
06-28-2012, 12:11 PM
I cancelled my HBO subscription yesterday. This and Maher, I cannot consciously spend money on that drivel.

AuH20
06-28-2012, 12:18 PM
This show is a platform to bash us and our brothers. It's a joke. Aaron Sorkin has always been a statist lapdog.

devil21
06-28-2012, 02:26 PM
The first episode was ok, though there were obvious biases planted. In one scene in the anchor's office during a serious scene about journalistic integrity, there's a very prominently placed picture of OBAMA right behind the main character. His opening speech in the episode rang true though. This isn't the greatest country anymore and American exceptionalism is a falsehood. I'll give it more than one episode before I draw conclusions.

evadmurd
07-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Aftr tonight's episode, I think that conservative talk will have much fodder to spin and expose. It does seem that after the first show, it has become a bullypulpit for the Obama administration aimed at getting him re-elected. I may be wrong and am willing to give it a few more episodes to see if it balances out--I don't have high hopes that it will. Otherwise, I think the show is well written and I enjoy it for the entertainment value.

angelatc
07-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Aftr tonight's episode, I think that conservative talk will have much fodder to spin and expose. It does seem that after the first show, it has become a bullypulpit for the Obama administration aimed at getting him re-elected. I may be wrong and am willing to give it a few more episodes to see if it balances out--I don't have high hopes that it will. Otherwise, I think the show is well written and I enjoy it for the entertainment value.

I can't be entertained by people who are aggressively trying to destroy my country. But maybe it's just me.

devil21
07-15-2012, 10:28 PM
I can't be entertained by people who are aggressively trying to destroy my country. But maybe it's just me.

You must be very bored. I watch and am entertained by propaganda fairly often. It's no big deal as long as you can see through the propaganda and is good practice for picking it out.

anaconda
07-16-2012, 12:44 AM
3rd episode ripped on the Tea Party. They ripped on Mike Lee and Rand Paul. And several others.

1000-points-of-fright
07-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Sorkin is a coward. He uses this show to bash conservatives and Republicans but he doesn't have the guts to do it openly. He tries to deflect criticism by making his main character a "real Republican" who's concerned about his party being taken over by crazies and extremists. He's basically saying that you have to be a leftist liberal to be considered a reasonable Republican by the media elite.

TheTexan
07-16-2012, 12:51 AM
He's basically saying that you have to be a leftist liberal to be considered a reasonable Republican

Which is true...

devil21
07-16-2012, 01:05 AM
This is a parody of news since the anchor apparently knows EXACTLY what to say at all times. This show is kinda like trying to be an actual news source while claiming to be fictional. Seems they're reminding people about everything from the 2010 elections that people maybe have forgotten about. The reason of course is election results.

Czolgosz
07-16-2012, 01:29 AM
I watched part of the first episode and got tired of that snappy dialogue shit...reminded me of the Gilmore Girls.

flynn
07-16-2012, 01:54 AM
This show will probably be inline with the ratings of CNN once the smoke clears.

devil21
07-16-2012, 02:11 AM
Yeah Im watching the end of ep4 and they're now talking about how Obama doesn't want to mess with your guns by bringing up 2010 stuff like Glenn Beck. Funny timing considering Fast and Furious!!

Is this show trying to run interference for Obama by reinterpreting old news stories as if they're new? Interesting to watch this because it's a whole new type of propaganda that I haven't seen before. (And that's why you should watch it angelatc)

QuickZ06
07-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Yeah Im watching the end of ep4 and they're now talking about how Obama doesn't want to mess with your guns by bringing up 2010 stuff like Glenn Beck. Funny timing considering Fast and Furious!!

Is this show trying to run interference for Obama by reinterpreting old news stories as if they're new? Interesting to watch this because it's a whole new type of propaganda that I haven't seen before. (And that's why you should watch it angelatc)

Very true, this is some slick propaganda. Even forum members on here are falling for it, dang.

devil21
07-16-2012, 02:47 AM
Very true, this is some slick propaganda. Even forum members on here are falling for it, dang.

What better way than to run damage control a couple years after the fact (always in time for a new election) and rewrite history to anybody that watches an ongoing "fictional" tv show. Episode 4 was nothing but bringing up old stories (Gabby Giffords), while white washing others (Fast and Furious), that could be influential in the upcoming elections. Very clever.

CaseyJones
07-16-2012, 03:22 AM
revisionist statist s***

kathy88
07-16-2012, 05:51 AM
I've been watching it. Despite the obvious leftist bullshit, the points made regarding the tea party are absolutely true with regard to how it was coopted and strayed from it's founding principles at break neck speed. At least in MOST cases, where Paulites are not running the show, which of course, was not mentioned.

angelatc
07-16-2012, 06:40 AM
You must be very bored. I watch and am entertained by propaganda fairly often. It's no big deal as long as you can see through the propaganda and is good practice for picking it out.

No, I'm not bored. I tend to read more since I realized that they were intentionally filling our heads with garbage.

angelatc
07-16-2012, 06:44 AM
I've been watching it. Despite the obvious leftist bullshit, the points made regarding the tea party are absolutely true with regard to how it was coopted and strayed from it's founding principles at break neck speed. At least in MOST cases, where Paulites are not running the show, which of course, was not mentioned.

Yes, but by all means let me know when they mention that they unions literally pay people to show up and protest at the OWS events.

The TEA Party movement was coopted because 99% of us refused to attend right from the get-go. When the first protests were happening, several of us were begging people to organize an event in their towns. As far as I know, only Little LIght Shining did, and she's still going. The rest of us watched it from the internet, then when the GOP took over without even a fight we sat back and said, "Told ya so!"

That was a huge eye opener for me as far as the future of the movement, as well as the campaign.

angelatc
07-16-2012, 06:49 AM
He's basically saying that you have to be a leftist liberal to be considered a reasonable Republican by the media elite.

Which is true...

Only if you're talking about spending. Civil liberties and foreign policy.....that's a different story.

specsaregood
07-16-2012, 06:59 AM

What I found more telling was the main guy; on the opening episode how he was so flummoxed that "people on security would vote for candidates that might eliminate social security" and he considered this a bad thing and an example of how stupid the voters were. Alternative explanations for that are not something that could be considered... And his character is supposed to be a "conservative"? Uhhuh.

Constitutional Paulicy
07-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Unfortunately I cant watch the online episodes as I live in Taiwan and they restrict my IP address. You can only reside in the US in order to watch a lot of streaming content. So I downloaded the torrent and watch the first one.

Since they were laying the ground work for future episodes I decided to hold back judgement until I was able to watch more. I finished the second episode today and was disappointed. I had hoped this would be what RT News was saying it would be. Sadly it isn't. They took a great concept and FAILED. :(

ClydeCoulter
07-16-2012, 07:55 AM
"Oh, we will have to get our act together and report real news now", "we've done a bad job, but now we will do the right thing", "We, the media have corrected ourselves, aren't we good stewards".
Watch and see if Fox, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, etc. change to reflect what the "face" of this show portrays. We'll see...

kathy88
07-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Yes, but by all means let me know when they mention that they unions literally pay people to show up and protest at the OWS events.

The TEA Party movement was coopted because 99% of us refused to attend right from the get-go. When the first protests were happening, several of us were begging people to organize an event in their towns. As far as I know, only Little LIght Shining did, and she's still going. The rest of us watched it from the internet, then when the GOP took over without even a fight we sat back and said, "Told ya so!"

That was a huge eye opener for me as far as the future of the movement, as well as the campaign.

I tried to get involved in my local tea party group but it was jam packed full of psychotic "Christians." All they cared about was abortion. I couldn't take it. We were severely outnumbered.

kahless
07-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Where did you hear this discussion? I'd like to hear what people are saying about it. Which is one of the reasons I started this thread. Can you provide a link? Thanks.

Right here, every couple days a new thread.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?382708-MUST-WATCH-The-most-honest-three-and-a-half-minutes-of-television-EVER...

Last night was an all out attack on the Tea Party, 2x - "this biggest threat to freedom this country has ever seen". It is a propaganda show to educate and skew the last few years of history so people will vote for Progressive candidates this fall.

Cancelling my HBO subscription today.

ClydeCoulter
07-16-2012, 10:08 AM
I tried to get involved in my local tea party group but it was jam packed full of psychotic "Christians." All they cared about was abortion. I couldn't take it. We were severely outnumbered.

I had the same problem in my area, and they supported Santorum.

NewRightLibertarian
07-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Fuck this trash. Can't believe that people around here are still so easily duped by shit like this

donnay
07-16-2012, 10:25 AM

Yeah definitely. These so-called Christians were filled with vituperation and hatred and I could not bring myself to associate with this bunch. IMHO, it was hijacked to do just this!

kahless
07-16-2012, 10:29 AM
dupe deleted

kahless
07-16-2012, 10:30 AM
I had the same problem in my area, and they supported Santorum.

Considering Santorum's poor record and lack of media coverage prior to the cycle I bet many whom supported Santorum listened to Neocon talk radio and in particular Sean Hannity who had been pushing "his good friend" on his show for President for over 10 years.

The Hannity show meme being Santorum is such a fantastic Conservative, if only he would run for President some day.

specsaregood
07-16-2012, 10:35 AM

Don't take this the wrong way; but nothing could have stopped you from forming your own local "tea party" group and setting the agenda.

In my area, the jbs-crew moved in and pushed the big local tea party in a definitive liberty direction. they did this by showing up with materials, enthusiasm and willing to gently feed the TP members information on the real status of our country.

CaseyJones
07-16-2012, 12:30 PM

I went to the first few in my town with an HR1207 sign and got good responces and am sure a lot of people called their congressperson in support of it... then the hannity crew showed up :( ...

Brian4Liberty
07-16-2012, 12:45 PM
I cancelled my HBO subscription yesterday. This and Maher, I cannot consciously spend money on that drivel.

I may do the same.

This show will probably be inline with the ratings of CNN once the smoke clears.

Or MSNBC.

specsaregood
07-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Or MSNBC.

MSNBC is no more. MS sold off their piece and are transitioning out of the relationship. partisanship was one of the given reasons for the breakup. Go to http://msnbc.com it redirects you to nbcnews.com now.

devil21
07-16-2012, 03:06 PM

The Tea Party ended up being mostly status quo Republicans that were too embarrassed to call themselves Republicans after Bush. We were the roots of the Tea Party but it was quickly taken over by the Bush supporters.

kahless
07-16-2012, 03:08 PM
The Tea Party ended up being mostly status quo Republicans that were too embarrassed to call themselves Republicans after Bush. We were the roots of the Tea Party but it was quickly taken over by the Bush supporters.

When McAvoy says the Tea Party is the greatest threat to freedom in this country I doubt people watching are going to make that distinction.

devil21
07-16-2012, 03:18 PM
When McAvoy says the Tea Party is the greatest threat to freedom in this country I doubt people watching are going to make that distinction.

Well no of course not, but the only way to try to keep the history accurate is to keep speaking the truth about what happened. Im not going to act like Im a Bachmann fan or an Angle fan or even a big Rand fan at this point since I can find plenty of reasons to bash them myself but this show definitely is overt propaganda with a purpose.

anaconda
07-16-2012, 04:51 PM

Interesting thought. I had never thought about a mass unspoken repudiation of W. causing a "tea party" coalescence.

Bosco Warden
07-16-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GggCB01ofFY&feature=youtube_gdata

You can watch the first episode on line here.........

http://www.hbo.com/#/the-newsroom/episodes/1/01-we-just-decided-to/video/full-episode.html/eNrjcmbOYM7XLMtMSc13zEvMqSzJTHbOzytJrShRz89JgQkFJK an+iXmpjIXcjIysoGgdGJpSX5BTmKlbUlRaSoAUBcXOA==

Or download the torrent here........

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7384991/The_Newsroom_2012_S01E01_HDTV_XviD-AFG%5Bettv%5D

It's exciting to watch the Zionist Jews, versus the Communist Jew's going after eahc other like this, Zionist Jew's aka Neoconservatives, and Isreali's Lukud Party going head to head in a battle of propaganda, against the communist Hollywood Jew's, and other group thinking groups who also want the same thing. One a Neo Communist/Capitalist country like China, the other who wants a Fascist/Authoritarian country.

WOW, read this a long time ago but each day it plays out.

World Government without Address

There was, however, not much indication that this was so. But it became secret after 1772, when Poland was divided, and the larger part of the Jews came under Russian rule. Such a world headquarter had existed for over 2.500 years, and now it was supposed to have suddenly disappeared. It could, nevertheless, be assembled, when Napoleon called in “The great Sanhedrin” in 1807, in order to get clarity concerning the loyalty of French Jews or lack of same. Dr. Kastein, himself, reveals joyfully, that “in the 19th Century a Jewish International took shape”.

The 19th Century belonged to the revolutionary conspiracies of both Zionism and Communism, which unfolded in the 20th Century. It was also in that Century, that the physical ghetto was replaced by a mental one: the fear of “Antisemitism”. In Jewish families, the question was whether to further Revolutionary Communism or Revolutionary Zionism (Weizmann). It ended up being both. Communism should tear down all nations. Zionism should establish one. A World Government without an address was becoming a fashion, which has been followed undeviatingly all through the 20th Century.

http://knud.eriksen.adr.dk/summary.htm

mport1
07-16-2012, 06:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K6m3Ua2nw

I've only seen this clip and it was pretty good. I'm glad this message is getting out there. Hopefully people will actually take time to think about this question.

I'm so tired of hearing people say America is the greatest country in the world. We are no longer anywhere near being the most free and prosperous nation. Additionally, the American government is one of the most evil forces on this earth. There is no evidence that "America" is the greatest country.

matt0611
07-16-2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K6m3Ua2nw

I've only seen this clip and it was pretty good. I'm glad this message is getting out there. Hopefully people will actually take time to think about this question.

I'm so tired of hearing people say America is the greatest country in the world. We are no longer anywhere near being the most free and prosperous nation. Additionally, the American government is one of the most evil forces on this earth. There is no evidence that "America" is the greatest country.

The thing is, if you read between the lines, the reason America isn't the greatest country anymore is because evil conservatives are stopping us from having a new New Deal so that we can have prosperity again like in the 1950s.

AuH20
07-16-2012, 06:27 PM
The thing is, if you read between the lines, the reason America isn't the greatest country anymore is because evil conservatives are stopping us from having a new New Deal so that we can have prosperity again like in the 1950s.

Yes. The good ole days (sarc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jiUu8od_I8

mport1
07-16-2012, 06:28 PM

Yeah, that is definitely Sorkin's opinion which is awful. However, I just want people to stop believing that America is such a great country. It isn't, and I think it is extremely dangerous for this ideology to continue. I hope people just start questioning the blind nationalism.

idiom
07-16-2012, 06:39 PM
I have watched it all through and I love the show. Its a lot like the West Wing in that political content is pretty lightweight but the characters and writing are fun.

Even the initial rant had a few oddities. The 'conservatives' are unable to reply when the 'liberal' states that an individual can't build roads or a school or an army. The conservative has apparently never heard of private roads, schools or mercenaries.

Its basically statist vs statist and pretending that individualists don't exist. They do not have a voice in the show.

As someone who has built a number of tv stations, I find the focus on the central issue of the show which is trying to use content to drive ratings rather than the other way around fascinating. The depiction of the incredible pressure to spew forth crap for the lowest common denominators in the audience is pretty accurate.

The solution proposed implicitly is for congress to ban advertising during the news hour. This would be an interesting step.

I would prefer if shareholders took that step on their own of course. Perhaps someone prominent should actually make a call for the network broadcasters to make such a step.

The bigger problem is advertisers punishing networks by removing money elsewhere.

The business of television is not making and selling content. It is building and selling audiences to advertisers. All television content is shilling for advertising.

Bosco Warden
07-16-2012, 06:53 PM

This clip is cut short, here is the first answer he gave, which was the preface to the longer answer which is this clip originally posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLrHhkxBIP0

TXcarlosTX
07-16-2012, 06:55 PM
This show is amazing!!! HBO brings the Rukus.

kathy88
07-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Don't take this the wrong way; but nothing could have stopped you from forming your own local "tea party" group and setting the agenda.

In my area, the jbs-crew moved in and pushed the big local tea party in a definitive liberty direction. they did this by showing up with materials, enthusiasm and willing to gently feed the TP members information on the real status of our country.

The Christians had the press. I set up an event and invited press with me as the PR contact and in the middle of my interview the "Christians" jumped in front of me fighting over who would talk to the reporter. I ended up not even being quoted in the paper or showed in the news clip. I'm telling you it was impossible in my area.

AuH20
07-16-2012, 07:08 PM
So the protagonist, Will McAvoy is a former Republican district attorney and ex-speech writer of George H.W. Bush. Sorkin has a veritable RINO elite preaching to the public how dangerous constitutional principles are. That is what is so comical about his slant. He doesn't even possess the courage to combat his adversaries truthfully, but rather hides behind the mainstream left/right paradigm. RINOs like the Bushes and Dick Lugar aren't credible sources of authority or higher intelligence. They are moderate criminals in the truest sense of the world who hold no core principles other than expanding their own power base.

devil21
07-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Interesting thought. I had never thought about a mass unspoken repudiation of W. causing a "tea party" coalescence.

Not really a mass repudiation but more a shameful hiding of past conduct and support for bad policy. Particularly after McCain (more Bush, at least to the masses) got his ass handed to him by Obama. No one wanted to call themselves Republicans in the aftermath of Bush and Obama's election so calling oneself "Tea Party" suddenly became a political fad. I remember having convos with people and mentioning that Im a libertarian conservative and hearing "yeah, everyone's a libertarian these days" in reply. People basically thought I was a Bushie that was ducking for cover. No I wasn't but it told me that a lot of Republicans were adopting the libertarian (Tea Party) title until the heat died down. That's why the Tea Party has mostly gone away. It's safe to be a Republican again.

AuH20
07-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Not really a mass repudiation but more a shameful hiding of past conduct and support for bad policy. Particularly after McCain (more Bush, at least to the masses) got his ass handed to him by Obama. No one wanted to call themselves Republicans in the aftermath of Bush and Obama's election so calling oneself "Tea Party" suddenly became a political fad. I remember having convos with people and mentioning that Im a libertarian conservative and hearing "yeah, everyone's a libertarian these days" in reply. People basically thought I was a Bushie that was ducking for cover. No I wasn't but it told me that a lot of Republicans were adopting the libertarian (Tea Party) title until the heat died down. That's why the Tea Party has mostly gone away. It's safe to be a Republican again.

Tea Party is probably 50 percent Republican loyalists and the other half a conglomerate of Palinites, Reagan democrats, paleocons and libertarians. George W. Bush's legacy isn't very highly regarded among the group as a whole. People forgot many people were screaming bloody murder not soon after he defeated Kerry with the Amnesty Push and later with the bailouts ("I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market"). Only the real hardcore loyalists and moderate Republicans have any appreciation for George W. Bush and his progressive policies.

devil21
07-31-2012, 03:34 AM
Yeah so this show is now completely in 100% bash the right mode. It's a unique propaganda technique.