PDA

View Full Version : Billy Corgan Smashes ‘Redistribution of Wealth’ Like a Pumpkin

donnay
06-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Billy Corgan Smashes ‘Redistribution of Wealth’ Like a Pumpkin

http://nation.foxnews.com/billy-corgan/2012/06/27/billy-corgan-smashes-redistribution-wealth-pumpkin

http://nation.foxnews.com/sites/nation.foxnews.com/files/styles/dv1/public/billy_coorgan_pic_ap_4524.gif

Take his comments on the Occupy Movement.

I think there are certain troubling aspects about [the Occupy movement], particularly the idea of wealth distribution. In my particular instance, I came from a family that didn’t have anything. Everything I earned in life I made. Myself. With songs that I wrote. So, when somebody starts talking about how I have to give to somebody who didn’t do that, that’s a deeper conversation. … It doesn’t mean I don’t have a social concern. It doesn’t mean I don’t want to contribute to charities. It doesn’t mean I don’t want to help my fellow man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9TVc8Tob98&feature=player_embedded

Czolgosz
06-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Repost. But thanks, chillin out listening to 1979. :D

torchbearer
06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
love it. going to listen to some pumpkins tonight.

Lucille
06-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Love @Billy (https://twitter.com/#!/Billy)! (BIRM (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?381935-The-Real-Billy-Corgan-Down-the-Rabbit-Hole))

donnay
06-27-2012, 07:20 PM
I just love the mere fact that Faux Snooze is running it. LOL! :D

One of my favorite songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1acEVmnVhI

brandon
06-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Cooool. I had no idea...I figured he was a typical liberal. Anyone checked out the new album yet? I love it...it's their best work since the 90s IMO.

Sola_Fide
06-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Siamese Dream was something I grew up with. One of the few mainstream bands my friends and I listened to.

BuddyRey
06-27-2012, 07:59 PM
I was never really into grunge music - it depresses me almost as much as fluorescent lighting - but I might have to check these guys out again.

Cowlesy
06-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Doesn't it sometimes feel that it is folks like Corgan who grew up having nothing, being the ones who have a deep appreciation for what it took to create his wealth, and the loudest redistributionists, are the ones who grew up being well provided for?

I don't know if that is just me, but I feel like it's been a recurring theme with a lot of fairly well-to-do folks on either side.

donnay
06-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Doesn't it sometimes feel that it is folks like Corgan who grew up having nothing, being the ones who have a deep appreciation for what it took to create his wealth, and the loudest redistributionists, are the ones who grew up being well provided for?

I don't know if that is just me, but I feel like it's been a recurring theme with a lot of fairly well-to-do folks on either side.

Great points! I guess I never really looked at it that way--but since you mentioned it, I will definitely I agree with you. Bill Gates comes to mind.

NIU Students for Liberty
06-27-2012, 08:15 PM
As much as I like him as a musician, I'm not a fan of his politics, especially his support of the Performance Rights Act (requiring radio stations to pay royalties to artists they play).

Pauling
06-27-2012, 10:07 PM
As much as I like him as a musician, I'm not a fan of his politics, especially his support of the Performance Rights Act (requiring radio stations to pay royalties to artists they play).

What's wrong with that?

NIU Students for Liberty
06-28-2012, 12:28 AM
What's wrong with that?

I don't believe in intellectual property. Besides, musicians should look at their songs being played on the radio as free advertising (providing stations were not paying the artists royalties).

Revolution9
06-28-2012, 07:01 AM
I don't believe in intellectual property. Besides, musicians should look at their songs being played on the radio as free advertising (providing stations were not paying the artists royalties).

I don't think you should get a dime beyond minimum wage just because you have a, or are getting a frikkin' diploma. Best go flip burgers and get it over with.

People who don't believe in intellectual property do not have much intellect they respect as unique. Generally borg-give-me-it-free types..

Rev9

The Goat
06-28-2012, 07:27 AM

If a radio station is using a song to increase listeners so they can increase their advertising dollars I think its only right the musicians get a cut.

buck000
06-28-2012, 07:43 AM
So, when somebody starts talking about how I have to give to somebody who didn’t do that, that’s a deeper conversation. … It doesn’t mean I don’t have a social concern. It doesn’t mean I don’t want to contribute to charities. It doesn’t mean I don’t want to help my fellow man.

On a related note, I saw this recently:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/310205_2240614269036_1658430710_2115358_102726459_ n.jpg

</clap>

donnay
06-28-2012, 11:11 AM
On a related note, I saw this recently:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/310205_2240614269036_1658430710_2115358_102726459_ n.jpg

</clap>

Absolutely! +rep

Todd
06-28-2012, 11:17 AM
I have a new respect for Corgan.

dannno
06-28-2012, 11:21 AM
If a radio station is using a song to increase listeners so they can increase their advertising dollars I think its only right the musicians get a cut.

If a radio station is playing a song on their airwaves that they are paying for and it increases the amount of listeners the band receives and increases their record sales and concert ticket sales, then I think the bands should be paying the radio station to play their songs. Especially if they have a huge amount of listeners.

Unfortunately the FCC has effectively given monopoly ownership of the radiowaves to the major record labels and they get to make all the rules. They only play their music on the radiowaves. Good luck getting your band air time on the radio, even if your band is really good and you pay the radio station.

I guarantee that in a free market, a real free market with no intellectual property crap, there would be a much better selection of radio stations and bands would be GRATEFUL to have their music played for free over the airwaves in order to get more exposure.

But if you want to keep supporting the government enabled music monopolies and you want to continue to parrot their propaganda, go ahead.

torchbearer
06-28-2012, 11:42 AM
If a radio station is playing a song on their airwaves that they are paying for and it increases the amount of listeners the band receives and increases their record sales and concert ticket sales, then I think the bands should be paying the radio station to play their songs. Especially if they have a huge amount of listeners.

Unfortunately the FCC has effectively given monopoly ownership of the radiowaves to the major record labels and they get to make all the rules. They only play their music on the radiowaves. Good luck getting your band air time on the radio, even if your band is really good and you pay the radio station.

I guarantee that in a free market, a real free market with no intellectual property crap, there would be a much better selection of radio stations and bands would be GRATEFUL to have their music played for free over the airwaves in order to get more exposure.

But if you want to keep supporting the government enabled music monopolies and you want to continue to parrot their propaganda, go ahead.

Labels often engage in payola schemes, basically paying stations to play their artist. so it does seem kinda like a mutual deal.

maskander
06-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Well I will cherish the fact that i won't contribute to his music anymore, consider it, not donating to capitalism.

brandon
06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
wat

AGRP
06-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Like education? I don't know these kids. For all I know Im paying for the education of some little brat who's sits around all day picking his nose.

dannno
06-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Labels often engage in payola schemes, basically paying stations to play their artist. so it does seem kinda like a mutual deal.

But it sounds like if I started a radio station I would get sued for playing their music for free, when the radio stations actually GET PAID to play them!

That is because they don't want me playing music that isn't on the Big labels, because they don't want competition.

That is why government intervention is ALWAYS bad, even when it seems like it is good for the artist.

More artists need to educate themselves about how these monopolies hurt them in the long run. Trent Reznor figured it out a long time ago.

dannno
06-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Well I will cherish the fact that i won't contribute to his music anymore, consider it, not donating to capitalism.

Ironically, #1, if you bought his music he (Billy Corgan) wouldn't see any of the money. It would all go to the record labels, who are not capitalistic, they are corporatist (aka in bed with govt.)

Ironically, #2, if you sent some money straight to Billy Corgan instead and downloaded his album for free off the internet, more of that money would go towards helping poor people than if you kept it for yourself (and likely spend it on other goods and services).

You should apologize to Billy Corgan.

Liberty74
06-28-2012, 12:42 PM
I've seen the Pumpkins 4 times during the 90s. Glad to see Billy has woken up.

NIU Students for Liberty
06-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I don't think you should get a dime beyond minimum wage just because you have a, or are getting a frikkin' diploma. Best go flip burgers and get it over with.

People who don't believe in intellectual property do not have much intellect they respect as unique. Generally borg-give-me-it-free types..

Rev9

What the hell does a diploma have anything to do with intellectual property?

Back to my original point, creating a legal system of copyrights and patents serves only monopolistic/corporatist interests. The concept of intellectual property hinders creativity and innovation because you have arbitrarily restricted an individual's ability to use information they have acquired. If I buy a book, album, or movie, on what grounds do you have the right to say what I can and can't do with it? Information is not a legitimate form of property since once it leaves my mind and enters the minds of those around me, it cannot be controlled.

And it's hypocritical on the part of artists like Billy Corgan or Metallica to endorse intellectual property since they would not have achieved the success they have today if it weren't for the circulation of bootleg tapes amongst fans.

EDIT: Unless your diploma comment was referencing Billy Corgan's comments on OWS?

Pauling
06-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Intellectual property is a real grey area for me. It seems like there is no real consensus within the liberty movement also.

frodus24
06-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Like education? I don't know these kids. For all I know Im paying for the education of some little brat who's sits around all day picking his nose.

How about big screen TVs, computers, tablets, cell phone bills, luxury apartments, etc. College kids live way better than I do.

Travlyr
06-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Intellectual property is a real grey area for me. It seems like there is no real consensus within the liberty movement also.

It is black and white to me. If I spend 10 years and my personal funds creating a useful widget, then I do not wish to bring it to market only to have some wealthy person/corporation with mass marketing already in place to take my creation and sell it to the world without compensating me for my work.