PDA

View Full Version : ‘Audit the Fed’ bill advances in the House, Clears House Panel 6/27 :D :D Must Read

nbruno322
06-27-2012, 10:40 AM
The House Oversight Committee easily cleared legislation Wednesday that would require a top-to-bottom audit of the Federal Reserve.

After passing committee, Paul’s legislation needs approval from both chambers of Congress and the president before becoming law.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), was advanced by the committee on a bipartisan voice vote with no vocal opposition.

The measure, which has garnered 257 co-sponsors from both parties, would require the Government Accountability Office (GAO) to conduct a full audit of the Fed's operations, including its monetary policy deliberations.

House GOP leaders have previously signaled that Paul's bill would garner floor attention sometime in July. A similar measure pushed by the End the Fed author was part of the Dodd-Frank financial reform law when it was passed by the House, but was later trimmed to require a GAO study of just the Fed's emergency lending operations during the financial crisis, and the potential for conflicts of interest on the boards of the regional Fed banks.

Before the bill was cleared by the committee, however, ranking member Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) attempted to introduce an amendment that would prevent the GAO from auditing the Fed's deliberations on monetary policy. Cummings withdrew the amendment after Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) voiced opposition, saying it "essentially guts this bill."

Issa maintained it was ironic that Congress took an intense interest in the $2 billion and counting in losses suffered recently by JPMorgan Chase when it "pales in comparison" to the Fed's multi-trillion dollar portfolio.

"It is long past time for a real audit," he said.

Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke has previously opposed congressional attempts to audit the Fed's monetary policy deliberations, saying they expose the politically independent institution to lawmaker pressure.

Republicans have become increasingly critical of the Fed's expansionary policies following the economic downturn, warning that its massive expansion of its balance sheet poses serious inflation risks. Liberal Democrats have also ramped up criticism of the central bank, taking it on for bailing out huge financial institutions during the financial crisis. Most recently, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) launched a campaign to remove banking officials from the boards of the regional Fed banks, saying it presents a conflict of interest.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/economy/235055-house-panel-clears-fed-audit-bill

It passed by voice vote, signaling the growing sense among lawmakers that the time has come for a full review.

Federal law right now specifically prohibits such a broad audit, and opponents fear undermining the independence of the Fed.

The bill would direct the Government Accountability Office to complete a broad audit that presumably would include a peek at the Fed’s decision-making and many of its lending policies.

The committee defeated an amendment sponsored by Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, Maryland Democrat, that would have prevented auditors from getting a look at the minutes of internal board discussions.

“The Federal Reserve is an independent central bank and that independence is critical to its ability to conduct monetary policy,” said Representative Elijah Cummings of Maryland, the senior Democrat on the committee. Passage of the audit legislation would mean “members of Congress could seek to influence the Federal Reserve’s deliberations.”

“This whole idea about ‘Well, we can’t touch the Fed‘ is baloney,” said Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich, Ohio Democrat. “We have to be able to have control over the Fed because it’s controlling every aspect of our economy.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jun/27/audit-fed-bill-advances-house/

ClydeCoulter
06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Ya-fricking-hoooooooooo !

sailingaway
06-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Were ANY amendments passed, do we know? One would have moved the date of the audit until 2013, which kinda makes practical sense, and C4L didn't oppose it, but makes it happen after Ron is out of Congress and no longer on the subcommittee. On the other hand, WE are really Ron's power, whether he is in office or not, and he and we can keep up with it from outside, through C4L, and Amash, and our other Congressmen, I would hope.

But he won't be in Congress to say why their ideas of solutions are stupid -- such as any who want to give the IMF and world bank more control. But that is just a general result of Ron leaving congress, unfortunately.

ClydeCoulter
06-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Were ANY amendments passed, do we know? One would have moved the date of the audit until 2013, which kinda makes practical sense, and C4L didn't oppose it, but makes it happen after Ron is out of Congress and no longer on the subcommittee. On the other hand, WE are really Ron's power, whether he is in office or not, and he and we can keep up with it from outside, through C4L, and Amash, and our other Congressmen, I would hope.

Yeah, I think Issa's amendment passed and so did Cummings' 2nd amendment (DP said the 2nd amendment added audits for Mortgages?).

Waiting to hear from Ron on it.

sailingaway
06-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I think Issa's amendment passed and so did Cummings' 2nd amendment (DP said the 2nd amendment added audits for Mortgages?).

Waiting to hear from Ron on it.

I doubt the 2d amendment added squat unless it added new parties. Ron's bill audited EVERYTHING the Fed did. I hope it didn't add stuff that would give people an excuse to vote against it.

All the same, definitely a WOOT! I'll put it on the front page.

Monotaur
06-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Excellent! Audit the Fed!

I hope this passes. It would be a great crowning achievement for Ron's career.

kill the banks
06-27-2012, 12:10 PM

yes ... man this is a must

KingRobbStark
06-27-2012, 01:14 PM
This is good news. Lets hope it goes all the way non-changed.

QuickZ06
06-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Would require the Government Accountability Office (GAO) to conduct a full audit of the Fed's operations, including its monetary policy deliberations.

Screw that, let Ron audit them!

Noob
06-27-2012, 02:32 PM

No, his End the Fed bill passing would be the crowning achievement of Dr. No's career.

tsai3904
06-27-2012, 02:41 PM
I doubt the 2d amendment added squat unless it added new parties. Ron's bill audited EVERYTHING the Fed did. I hope it didn't add stuff that would give people an excuse to vote against it.

He wants to audit the review of loan files of homeowners in foreclosure and wants the audit to contain certain information.

Here's the text:
http://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/H.R.-459-Cummings-amendment-passed.pdf

AmericasLastHope
06-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Before the bill was cleared by the committee, however, ranking member Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) attempted to introduce an amendment that would prevent the GAO from auditing the Fed's deliberations on monetary policy. Cummings withdrew the amendment after Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) voiced opposition, saying it "essentially guts this bill."

Fed crony? At least he withdrew the amendment when the Chairman challenged him.

ClydeCoulter
06-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Actually, I think Cummings' amendment that passed is pretty good, and it is required within 6 mos of passing. It looks into the foreclosures in their policies and recommendations.

anaconda
06-27-2012, 04:54 PM
If Ron's not in congress, who's gonna make sure the audit gets done right?

sailingaway
06-27-2012, 05:00 PM
If Ron's not in congress, who's gonna make sure the audit gets done right?

Ron's pressure through C4L, Amash, etc. But yeah, I wish he weren't retiring. No one knows this issue like he does, and how badly 'solutions' may gut it.

paulbot24
06-27-2012, 05:45 PM
This is cause for celebration! This will go down as one of Ron's greatest accomplishments and lifetime acheivements. Yes, fine, that is a seriously long list, but it will be near the top, just under President!!!!!!!!!

tsai3904
06-27-2012, 05:49 PM
This is cause for celebration! This will go down as one of Ron's greatest accomplishments and lifetime acheivements. Yes, fine, that is a seriously long list, but it will be near the top, just under President!!!!!!!!!

Only if it passes the Senate. There was MUCH more enthusiasm and activism from both sides of the aisle to get the bill passed two years ago. Now, there's barely a whimper by the left. No Democrats have cosponsored Rand's bill in the Senate.

If we don't step up our game in bringing attention to this issue, we will really disappoint Ron.

paulbot24
06-27-2012, 06:02 PM
True tsai3904, and you've done a phenomenal job of keeping the Audit the Fed bill thread near the top to keep everybody reminded. Hats off to you. Ron talks about being able to enjoy the fruits of our labor (as opposed to heavy taxation and federal pillaging). He entered into politics when fiat money became out of control, which funds the MIC. I want him to enjoy this sweet fruit of all his labor when it comes to watching the public react to what has REALLY been going on behind those closed doors for the last 99 years.

No1butPaul
06-27-2012, 06:19 PM
This was good news in my inbox!!! Should be a no-brainer though for everyone in congress to co-sponsor this.

Hi (me),

I spoke with you earlier today about the Audit the Fed bill. I tried calling you, but must have written your number down wrong. Thanks for bringing the issue to our attention. Congressman Sherman is now a cosponsor H.R.459, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011. Feel free to follow up with our office with any questions.

Thank you,

Lauren Wolman
Legislative Assistant
Office of Congressman Brad Sherman
2242 Rayburn House Office Building
(202) 225-5911

tsai3904
06-27-2012, 06:26 PM
This was good news in my inbox!!! Should be a no-brainer though for everyone in congress to co-sponsor this.

Hi (me),

I spoke with you earlier today about the Audit the Fed bill. I tried calling you, but must have written your number down wrong. Thanks for bringing the issue to our attention. Congressman Sherman is now a cosponsor H.R.459, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011. Feel free to follow up with our office with any questions.

Thank you,

Lauren Wolman
Legislative Assistant
(202) 225-5911

Awesome!

dusman
06-27-2012, 07:11 PM

Hi (me),

Thank you,

Lauren Wolman
Legislative Assistant
(202) 225-5911

Nice work! ;)

devil21
06-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Sounds like progress. Good luck getting Obama to sign it into law though.

kathy88
06-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Sounds like progress. Good luck getting Obama to sign it into law though.

He'll sign it. Too much political pressure in an election year. I'm so glad this is going down before November.

Philosophy_of_Politics
06-27-2012, 10:35 PM
He'll sign it. Too much political pressure in an election year. I'm so glad this is going down before November.

While I wish this to be true. I foresee a potential problem. Congress, and the President, love to delay good bills.

G-Wohl
06-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Screw that, let Ron audit them!

Frankly, if he solely was in charge of the audit, he might die before he'd get it done.