PDA

View Full Version : Would Ron Paul's Ideas Work In Canada? Have They Already?

Fort Lauderdale
06-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Ending the fed, closing all military bases around the world, bringing all the troops home, ending the war on drugs, closing the Departments of Energy, Commerce, Interior, Education, and Housing and Urban Development. How many trillions, or should I say millions or billions, since this is Canada we're talking about, would this save?

weilian
06-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Ending the fed, closing all military bases around the world, bringing all the troops home, ending the war on drugs, closing the Departments of Energy, Commerce, Interior, Education, and Housing and Urban Development. How many trillions, or should I say millions or billions, since this is Canada we're talking about, would this save?

Canada doesn't have military bases on foreign soil. Some provinces have decriminalized marijuana. Most Canadians value their free health care, subsidized education etc.. I don't think Ron Paul's message would resonate too well in Canada. Also Canadas' financial situation is quite good in comparison to other countries. On that same note, most Canadians don't know shit about how the whole banking system works and its different from how it is with the US

Fort Lauderdale
06-26-2012, 09:50 PM
They don't have military bases but they have soldiers in Afghanistan. Which provinces decriminalized marijuana?

Fort Lauderdale
06-26-2012, 09:57 PM
On that same note, most Canadians don't know shit about how the whole banking system works and its different from how it is with the US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbACCGf6q-c

S.Shorland
06-27-2012, 02:32 AM
I think Iceland should try a silver currency.Better chance there than in Greece,less people and they already fought the bankers' propaganda of invincibility

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOF43FM02eI

jay_dub
06-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Canada doesn't have military bases on foreign soil. Some provinces have decriminalized marijuana. Most Canadians value their free health care, subsidized education etc.. I don't think Ron Paul's message would resonate too well in Canada. Also Canadas' financial situation is quite good in comparison to other countries. On that same note, most Canadians don't know shit about how the whole banking system works and its different from how it is with the US

According to The Economist's global debt clock, Canada is in worse shape than we are in. They have an average debt per person that is almost $8,000 more than the US. The clock seems to use as a different definition of 'public debt' than we commonly use, as noted by the US's debt figure. That being said, it's useful in comparing country to country.

http://www.economist.com/content/global_debt_clock

weilian
06-27-2012, 08:09 AM
They don't have military bases but they have soldiers in Afghanistan. Which provinces decriminalized marijuana?

Ya, the Canadian Forces are active in several regions: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/operations/index-eng.asp.

I'm wrong on the decriminalized part but there is support for it at all levels and will probably head into that direction.

According to The Economist's global debt clock, Canada is in worse shape than we are in. They have an average debt per person that is almost $8,000 more than the US. The clock seems to use as a different definition of 'public debt' than we commonly use, as noted by the US's debt figure. That being said, it's useful in comparing country to country.

http://www.economist.com/content/global_debt_clock

Ya, the economist has different numbers than from what I can find. The debt they have on there is lower than that of usdebtclock.org and other sources which pegs the US debt to GDP% at over 100%. Canada does better than all of the G8 members, which doesn't say much. I guess the whole of North America is in dire straits.

SneakyFrenchSpy
06-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Canada doesn't have military bases on foreign soil.S

They don't... yet! But Stephen Harper is trying his damn best to make sure that changes. At least he didn't run on a platform of non-intervention like Bush back in the late 90s.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1208436--walkom-is-stephen-harper-s-global-military-policy-delusional-or-just-plain-mad

Sometimes, it’s as if Stephen Harper’s Conservatives suffer from delusions of grandeur.

How else to explain the decision by Canada’s apparently cash-strapped federal government to set up a network of military bases around the world?

That’s usually something only countries with imperial pretensions, such as the U.S., France and Britain, do. And even the U.S. is pulling back these days.

In any case, I try my best to spread the Liberty message, but I get a lot of weird looks around here when I sport my Paul gear out on the town. We have a group of local libertarians folks that meet roughly every 2 weeks and 10 people sometimes show up at meetings, often less though. Lots of work to do, not very many prospects, but we soldier on for Liberty. ie: we get drunk and commiserate about how we wish we had 1/10th the manpower you guys have down South.

Fort Lauderdale
06-29-2012, 04:04 AM
Would Canada ever abolish the income tax?

Victor Grey
06-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Ron Paul's ideas would "work" anywhere where the people are industrious and creative.

I don't know how much better off it would work than what goes on in say, Saharan Desert nomads, Amazon societies or the Polynesian Islands, but that is more due to cultural reasonings. Nomadic camel riders for instance are probably going to be the same 300 years from now. They could be as free as they like; they're content.

In any technologically interested societies I would say certainly. Canada would qualify. Basic freedoms from the harassment of authority, coupled with the individual desire to improve and willingness to reason toward how to do so are, in my opinion, the very greatest reason human society has advanced so rapidly over the past 300 or so years.

If you let a group of people with a desire to improve their lot in life the freedom to do so perpetually, and they have a mind open to conceiving those solutions into being, they will do it. Ultimately to the eventual benefit of everyone. There are no guarantees of such for each and every person, but generation to generation, the society will benefit as a whole. Other societies can as well by following their lead.