PDA

View Full Version : Pale Blue Dot - Carl Sagan. Most Important video ever made, Please Watch

tradgedyandhope
06-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Didn't know where else to put this video, it does not include Ron Paul at all but it is still extremely important many people see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmP4Xzt0rN4

brandon
06-26-2012, 12:20 PM
So what does it feel like to be the creator of the most important video ever made? Have you always been such a visionary? What comes next after this? Do you believe you could ever outdo yourself, and be the creator of both the most, and the second most, important videos ever?

tradgedyandhope
06-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Please share it you enjoy :)

Bastiat's The Law
06-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Great video. Belongs in General forum though :)

Bastiat's The Law
06-26-2012, 12:26 PM
You'll like this video OP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

NoOneButPaul
06-26-2012, 12:37 PM
I love Carl Sagan... great video OP.

tradgedyandhope
06-26-2012, 12:57 PM
I love Carl Sagan... great video OP.

Thank you very much!

tradgedyandhope
06-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Didn't know where else to put this video, it does not include Ron Paul at all but it is still extremely important many people see this. I spent a very long time making this video and I really hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmP4Xzt0rN4

tradgedyandhope
06-26-2012, 01:03 PM
yes they would make sense I shall post it there

JK/SEA
06-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Great vid, thanks for posting. Not to derail, but has anyone watched the latest episode of Through the wormhole w/ Morgan Freeman called 'is the universe alive?'

epic show. must see.

PaulConventionWV
06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Carl Sagan's life was futile and stupid according to that video and himself. I think your video, contrary to its intentions, is a testament to the greatness of God, despite Sagan's utter hate of the notion of God. He fought with all his might to eradicate God from history and make grandiose his own version of it.

r3volution
06-26-2012, 01:43 PM
this also ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw

r3volution
06-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Carl Sagan's life was futile and stupid according to that video and himself. I think your video, contrary to its intentions, is a testament to the greatness of God, despite Sagan's utter hate of the notion of God. He fought with all his might to eradicate God from history and make grandiose his own version of it. your delusion of god and Sagan's life is ridiculous . seriously , get help .

Perry
06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Sagan contradicts himself.
If we're so insignificant, as Sagan says, then why is it so important for us to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot?

If we were mere unthinking stones this might be the case but without knowing it Sagan admits there really IS something special about us.
Perhaps, on some subconscious level, Sagan understands that because we can not only envision what we can see in the universe but also imagine what could be, that there really is something special and bigger about us than all that is inert in the universe.

"What is man that you(God) make so much of him, that you give him so much attention" Job 7:17

lx43
06-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Carl Sagan's life was futile and stupid according to that video and himself. I think your video, contrary to its intentions, is a testament to the greatness of God, despite Sagan's utter hate of the notion of God. He fought with all his might to eradicate God from history and make grandiose his own version of it.

While Sagan may or may not have believed in God his message in that video of world peace is far from stupid and something that I believe God would advocate. In the video he is saying that we should all try to learn to live with each other without trying to kill each other and that we should treat our planet as a precious resource because it is our home. I suggest you listen to it with more of an open mind.

r3volution
06-26-2012, 02:26 PM
The same religions that saved us from immorality thousands of years ago are destroying us now through fundamentalism .

KingRobbStark
06-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Great video.

Barrex
06-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I have arrived godless sodomites....

Good video.

tradgedyandhope
06-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Just started watching that show! It is amazing I have a new found respect for Morgan Freeman

r3volution
06-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Just started watching that show! It is amazing I have a new found respect for Morgan Freemanit is good , however Morgan Freeman is just the narrator . i doubt he had much to do with the making of that the same way Sagan did with cosmos .

Kregisen
06-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Cool video, good job!

Danke
06-26-2012, 09:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6b70TUbdfs

tradgedyandhope
06-26-2012, 10:51 PM
I put the video on the daily paul and Michael Nystrom actually commented on it and said he loved it and ended up putting it on the front page!

Bastiat's The Law
06-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Man's creation of Gods to explain his existence in the world is the most grandiose example of arrogance. That is why there has been such an often violent, knee-jerk, reaction to scientists that take a tiny chisel and hammer to that monument of human ego, known as religion.

luctor-et-emergo
06-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Great video...
Gives you some perspective.

James Madison
06-27-2012, 01:12 AM
I wonder what kind of life forms are out there? Change the atmospheric makeup, star type, heavy metal content, etc how would that change the way life evolves? It would be cool to have a thread dedicated to a discussion about alien life...

Mach
06-27-2012, 01:27 AM
If we are not able to ask skeptical questions, to interrogate those who tell us that something is true, to be skeptical of those in authority, then we're up for grabs....
- Carl Sagan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47EBLD-ISyc

izza1231
06-27-2012, 03:06 AM
very nice indeed!

PaulConventionWV
06-27-2012, 05:04 AM
Don't you think it's a little narcissistic to call this "the most important video ever made"? Isn't that just a little presumptuous and arrogant?

PaulConventionWV
06-27-2012, 05:06 AM
your delusion of god and Sagan's life is ridiculous . seriously , get help .

I have help, thank you. You, on the other hand...

PaulConventionWV
06-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Just started watching that show! It is amazing I have a new found respect for Morgan Freeman

No, thanks. Ever since Morgan Freeman played God, he thinks he IS God.

KingNothing
06-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Carl Sagan's life was futile and stupid according to that video and himself.

:rolleyes:

Way to... you know... miss the point of everything. Ever.

PaulConventionWV
06-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Man's creation of Gods to explain his existence in the world is the most grandiose example of arrogance. That is why there has been such an often violent, knee-jerk reaction to scientists that take a tiny chisel and hammer to that monument of human ego, known as religion.

So what does religion mean to you? Does that, by any chance, include atheism, the epitome arrogant know-it-allness?

It's really quite simple. Either there is a Creator of this universe, or there isn't. Who are you to presume that one option is more logical than the other. If you believe in objectivism, who are you to simply exclude one option in the absence of evidence and accept the other as the de facto position despite the same lack of evidence? Who are you to say which option is more logical or compelling and which is manufactured and which is the 'natural' position to take.

Either there is a Creator, or there is not. On their faces, both options require the same amount of evidence in order to be considered. Even in a naturalistic, scientific mindset, you can't just eliminate the idea that there was a God until you see physical evidence. Both options are as reasonable as the other. What if I were to tell you that man created the idea that the physical universe is all that can determine truth? What if I were to tell you that man invented atheism to justify his existence in the world? That is the most grandiose example of arrogance because everything now revolves around you and your personal satisfaction. Nothing is greater than the self except these weird notions that everyone needs to strive to better themselves according to some arbitrary standard that you apply to all humanity.

PaulConventionWV
06-27-2012, 05:33 AM
:rolleyes:

Way to... you know... miss the point of everything. Ever.

That makes no sense.

tradgedyandhope
06-27-2012, 05:33 AM
No, thanks. Ever since Morgan Freeman played God, he thinks he IS God.

I really don't think he thinks he is God

KingNothing
06-27-2012, 05:34 AM
So what does religion mean to you? Does that, by any chance, include atheism, the epitome arrogant know-it-allness?

Yes, saying "I don't know if there is a god or gods, and I don't care" is the epitome of arrogance. Right.

What if I were to tell you that man invented atheism to justify his existence in the world?

You'd be lying.

PaulConventionWV
06-27-2012, 05:58 AM
I really don't think he thinks he is God

Ever heard of exaggeration?

PaulConventionWV
06-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Yes, saying "I don't know if there is a god or gods, and I don't care" is the epitome of arrogance. Right.

You'd be lying.

Atheism is not the same thing as agnosticism.

ghengis86
06-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Yes, another pointless religion debate!!

fisharmor
06-27-2012, 06:50 AM
While Sagan may or may not have believed in God

I'm not a big fan of Brian Young, but he was pretty clever about it:
"Carl Pagan believes in God now. Of course, it's too late, but he believes now."

tradgedyandhope
06-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Why did this conversation have to derail so much from the point of this video? Will we ever all get along?

DerailingDaTrain
06-27-2012, 09:30 AM
"Some people think God is an outsized, light-skinned male with a long white beard, sitting on a throne somewhere up there in the sky, busily tallying the fall of every sparrow. Others—for example Baruch Spinoza and Albert Einstein—considered God to be essentially the sum total of the physical laws which describe the universe. I do not know of any compelling evidence for anthropomorphic patriarchs controlling human destiny from some hidden celestial vantage point, but it would be madness to deny the existence of physical laws."

"The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity."

Kelly.
06-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Yes, another pointless religion debate!!

my god will kick your gods ass!

r3volution
06-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Don't you think it's a little narcissistic to call this "the most important video ever made"? Isn't that just a little presumptuous and arrogant? dont you think its a little "narcissistic " , "presumptuous and arrogant" to inject your god and beliefs into the OP's thread and hijack it ?

PaulConventionWV
06-27-2012, 04:53 PM
dont you think its a little "narcissistic " , "presumptuous and arrogant" to inject your god and beliefs into the OP's thread and hijack it ?

Just giving him a dose of his own medicine.

r3volution
06-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Just giving him a dose of his own medicine. i just went through his posts dating back to last year and cannot find 1 where he ever mentioned religion or god in any of them , are you delusional ? or if you are referring to Sagan i have watched/read everything he has ever done and never once has he ever done what you suggest .

i seriously dont intend this to be a slam or to be mean but you really do need some help if you are being serious .

DerailingDaTrain
06-27-2012, 05:55 PM
i just went through his posts dating back to last year and cannot find 1 where he ever mentioned religion or god in any of them , are you delusional ? or if you are referring to Sagan i have watched/read everything he has ever done and never once has he ever done what you suggest .

i seriously dont intend this to be a slam or to be mean but you really do need some help if you are being serious .

I think his problem is Sagan not believing in the type of God he does.

Bastiat's The Law
06-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Don't you think it's a little narcissistic to call this "the most important video ever made"? Isn't that just a little presumptuous and arrogant?
And your interposition into the universe by cosmic deities isn't the pinnacle of presumption and arrogance? "Why only supernatural Gods could make me!"

Bastiat's The Law
06-28-2012, 04:26 AM
who are you to simply exclude one option in the absence of evidence and accept the other as the de facto position despite the same lack of evidence?
You clearly have zero understanding of how science works. Get a refund on your education.

Bastiat's The Law
06-28-2012, 04:27 AM
Speaking of medicine, I think you've had one too many doses of the opiate of the people.

Bastiat's The Law
06-28-2012, 04:28 AM
Speaking of medicine, I think you've had one too many doses of the opiate of the people.

r3volution
06-28-2012, 12:16 PM
I think his problem is Sagan not believing in the type of God he does. lol , if that is the case he needs to let it go because that guy has been dead for 16 years . whatever , it is imposable to rationalize with people like that so im done .

KingNothing
06-28-2012, 07:07 PM
lol , if that is the case he needs to let it go because that guy has been dead for 16 years . whatever , it is imposable to rationalize with people like that so im done .

The more ardently and aggressively religious a person is, the less qualified and able they are to discuss anything. It just becomes an all-encompassing obsession that blinds them from the world and prevents logical thinking.

Bastiat's The Law
06-30-2012, 03:23 AM
The more ardently and aggressively religious a person is, the less qualified and able they are to discuss anything. It just becomes an all-encompassing obsession that blinds them from the world and prevents logical thinking.
It's no wonder that the those who rally against radical Islam, are also the most radical in their own religious beliefs.

KingNothing
06-30-2012, 11:23 AM
It's no wonder that the those who rally against radical Islam, are also the most radical in their own religious beliefs.

Hey, don't get me wrong -- I hate radical islam too. I think punitive strikes against those nutjobs, leaving a wake of destruction behind us, every time they act up as Michael Scheuer suggests is the optimal strategy. But, that folks on our side of the war of civilizations are also zealots willing to ignore all reason and science is annoying.

PaulConventionWV
07-01-2012, 04:52 PM
i just went through his posts dating back to last year and cannot find 1 where he ever mentioned religion or god in any of them , are you delusional ? or if you are referring to Sagan i have watched/read everything he has ever done and never once has he ever done what you suggest .

Well, I have watched videos that do that, so I can't agree with you. You are just wrong.

PaulConventionWV
07-01-2012, 04:53 PM
And your interposition into the universe by cosmic deities isn't the pinnacle of presumption and arrogance? "Why only supernatural Gods could make me!"

No, because He made all of us, not just me in particular, or anyone in particular.

PaulConventionWV
07-01-2012, 04:53 PM
You clearly have zero understanding of how science works. Get a refund on your education.

You clearly have not demonstrated your point. Fail.

PaulConventionWV
07-01-2012, 04:56 PM

If that's not arrogant and presumptuous, I don't know what is. You are effectively saying, "I am the only one who can be right, no matter what kind of argument a religious person makes because that person's argument is invalid simply by virtue of the fact that they are religious."

Also, your definition of religious is broadly defined as those who do not rule out the idea that there could possibly be a Creator.

PaulConventionWV
07-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Here's my point. There are only two possibilities as to how the universe originated. Either it was created, or it spontaneously emerged from nothing. There is no evidence to suggest that nothing can become something without the input of energy, not to mention where all the matter and the laws that govern both energy and matter came from. People who completely rule out the possibility of a Creator are effectively saying that it must have happened that way, even though there is no way they can prove this is even possible. Any rational human being without bias would treat both hypotheses as equally valid.

Mach
07-01-2012, 05:10 PM
"I distrust those people who
know so well what God wants
because I notice it ALWAYS coincides
with their own desires."
- Susan B. Anthony

PaulConventionWV
07-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I think his problem is Sagan not believing in the type of God he does.

This could be used for anything. "I think his problem is so and so not holding the same opinion on such and such a subject as he does."

Everyone thinks they are right and tries to convince others that they should hold the same opinion they do. There is no dogmatic disposition inherent in this approach.

PaulConventionWV
07-01-2012, 05:14 PM
"I distrust those people who
know so well what God wants
because I notice it ALWAYS coincides
with their own desires."
- Susan B. Anthony

That's why I don't claim to know what God wants and instead focus on letting them know they should get busy finding out. I could give my own guidance based on what I know about the Bible, but I ask that people try to challenge me because I cannot be asked to interpret the Bible for someone. They must read it for themselves.

James Madison
07-01-2012, 05:18 PM
This started off as a pretty cool thread. Sad to see it so derailed.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-01-2012, 05:25 PM
I guess Paul has never really read or watched anything done by Sagan, otherwise he would have noticed that Sagan was a pretty ardent agnostic. You've never watched or read Contact, eh or Cosmos?

JVParkour
07-01-2012, 05:52 PM
How about yall start acting like adults, and stop arguing about useless crap? I realize this is a semi-debatable topic, etc, but lets keep this on topic for the OP.

I for one extremely enjoyed the video. Have you guys ever checked out Stellarium.org? It is so cool, pretty much a program that lets you view the night sky. You can plug in your lat and longitude, and it will show you the sky as it looks right now. You can fast forward through time, have it show constellations, and all sorts of cool stuff. There are over 10 million stars that you can zoom in on and get data about. Seriously, it is awesome, go download it. It is open-source and really quite intriguing.

PaulConventionWV
07-01-2012, 07:03 PM
The thread would have died if I hadn't made my last remarks. My point has been made and it still stands. I'm done, though. I happen to think what I was talking about is far more important than the "useless crap" of telling someone how good their video is or how it is definitely "the most important video ever made", as per the OPs assertion.

torchbearer
07-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Sagan was definitely on a whole level above most people. the mindset of early man had him and his tribe as the center all of creation, with him being the most important.
in truth, we are just a small part of a bigger whole that we don't know jack about yet.

r3volution
07-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Sagan is now officially my new god thus making that video the most important video ever made . anyone who does not believe in god Sagan is an asshole and evil .

KingNothing
07-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Sagan is now officially my new god thus making that video the most important video ever made . anyone who does not believe in god Sagan is an asshole and evil .

Your beliefs are as justified as any other religious person's.

r3volution
07-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Your beliefs are as justified as any other religious person's. thank you , feel free to donate .

r3volution
07-06-2012, 11:06 AM
No, thanks. Ever since Morgan Freeman played God, he thinks he IS God. damn , wrong again . he thought he was god before he played him . lol http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/07/06/fox411-qa-morgan-freeman-on-why-believes-is-god-and-which-succesful-film-hated/

its funny because clearly Sagan is GOD !