PDA

View Full Version : Congress Should Have Investigated Steroid Abuse in Law Enforcement, Not Roger Clemons and

donnay
06-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Congress Should Have Investigated Steriod Abuse in Law Enforcement, Not Roger Clemons and Major League Baseball

http://www.thelonestarwatchdog.com/2012/06/23/congress-should-have-investigated-steriod-abuse-in-law-enforcement-not-roger-clemons-and-major-league-baseball/

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/7/2011/01/medium_cop.jpeg

There was no good reason to call Major League Baseball before Congress over Steroid use. The league has always been self regulating with policies that has always dealt with substance abuse within the organization. No one was killed or harmed for what was alleged inside the league. The only people harmed harmed where the players themselves and no fans were killed because of it. The US government wasted 3 million dollars putting Roger Clemons on trial for lying to congress. I do not see Congress moving with the same zeal going after Eric Holder in the Fast and Furious scandal killed many people. Congress has their priorities backwards wasting time and money going after the wrong people. If Congress was really concerned about the safety and well being of the American people, they leave Baseball alone. If they were going to investigate steroid abuse, they should have investigated the use of this drug inside Law Enforcement at all levels, exposing how it has harmed and killed people when it was unnecessary.

Steroid abuse inside Law Enforcement is a real problem that has to be addressed. The use of this performance enhancing drug can cause a Law Enforcement officer to be mentally unstable not using good judgement. We can see when an incident happens; the officer instigated it escalating the situation that was unnecessary under the circumstances . I have seen countless videos on YouTube seeing a bulked up officer beat up small girls, unarmed men and old ladies. All these Officers looked like they were in a roid rage escalating a mundane situation into a full blown incident where an innocent person is hurt or killed for no reason by the Law Enforcement officer. They looked like they were on steroids by the way they were acting and how they were bulked up. I am going to withhold judgement because I still believe in the presumption of innocence until proven guilty for using steroid or not.

There has been very little action taken by the US government to stop the steroid abuse in Law Enforcement. The United State Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Division has posted a website on stopping steroid abuse inside Law Enforcement. In 1991, even the FBI called for a congressional investigation into steroid abuse inside Law Enforcement. Many inside the government at all levels do not see Steroid abuse in Law enforcement as a threat because many politicians are very corrupt. These roid ragers in blue do serve a purpose protecting the corrupt system and their minions from the people.

It will not surprise me if a town erupts in an armed conflict with the people of the city because of an incident involving a roid head officer beat up grandma and she died in the hospital. Why because the officer went into a rage for no reason, this thug has been reported about and received numerous complaints from people because of his actions. He might have even been caught using steroids by concerned citizens. The Police Department refuses to take action to remove this person off the streets. I can see the people dealing with this Cop if the government refuses to act. Steroid use inside Law Enforcement is a threat to the people who just want to be left alone.

Congress better not drag the NFL, The NBA or NHL before a committee because of steroid use. If there is steroid use, let the league Police itself and the government leave them alone. Where Congress needs to investigate is the Steroid abuse in Law Enforcement because it has harmed and killed more innocent people then professional sports has. Steroid abuse in professional sports has not harmed no one, only the athletes themselves.

So before the Government tells us how to live our lives trying to police us enforcing laws that are unjust. The US government has plenty of crimes of drug abuse and corruption inside their own agencies to keep them busy for a long time. Maybe they will be so busy, the government will leave the American people alone. But that will not happen, the government can never admit to us they are wrong being honest about steroid abuse inside Law Enforcement because they are more interested in protecting themselves from citizen scrutiny, than standing up for the people doing what is right. If there is ever an investigation from Congress, it will be a whitewash as always to protect the sacred cows inside the bureaucracies. Do you get my drift?

Feeding the Abscess
06-24-2012, 11:57 PM
There are steroid problems in the police population in prisons and whatnot, but to use Ronnie Coleman, all-time great bodybuilder, as the image as an example is... slightly disingenuous.

More or less agree that the government, if it were an institution based on virtue and justice, would investigate itself - and then shut itself down for gross incompetence.

tttppp
06-25-2012, 12:09 AM
These sports are not regulating themselves. Steroids are a huge problem for all sports. Baseball was just made a scapegoat. I'm not advocating the government to step in. I'm just pointing out that sports are going nothing about steroids, even though the majority of players are on them.

donnay
06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Regardless, steroids screw with the mind and make people mean. Police officers are becoming very aggressive, and if they are doing Anabolic Steroids that's a real problem.

Demigod
06-25-2012, 09:48 AM
These sports are not regulating themselves. Steroids are a huge problem for all sports. Baseball was just made a scapegoat. I'm not advocating the government to step in. I'm just pointing out that sports are going nothing about steroids, even though the majority of players are on them.

NBA players are 100% on steroids.The fact that the Olympic basketball comity let the USA national team compete without a drug test because the USA government guarantees for them is a disgrace

jkob
06-25-2012, 10:22 AM
My father works for police department(not a cop) and knows quite a few police officers. Has always said that steroid use is pretty common. My dad is a big fitness guy and experimented with steroids 10 or so years ago, completely changed his personality. There really is no wonder why these cops beat people up or worse.

jmdrake
06-25-2012, 10:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGVZgk7AMy8

Kluge
06-25-2012, 10:55 AM
My father works for police department(not a cop) and knows quite a few police officers. Has always said that steroid use is pretty common. My dad is a big fitness guy and experimented with steroids 10 or so years ago, completely changed his personality. There really is no wonder why these cops beat people up or worse.

My cousin played football for IUP and used steroids during that time--he was almost completely disowned during that time. Terrible.

Pericles
06-25-2012, 10:59 AM
I agree - and it is also getting into the Army culture as well. Guys are trying to justify it with the need to carry more weight due to body armor and all of the gadgets now being fielded.

Really bad move - look at the photos of guys in Vietnam, Desert Storm, and today.

donnay
06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
http://www.irasabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/irene-anderson.jpg

^^^^That is just nasty. *Shudders*

Arnold yesterday and today:
http://www.rugorreal.com/assets/hollywood/arnie4.jpg

puppetmaster
06-25-2012, 11:18 AM
very widespread in law enforcement and was advocated by my superiors when I was involved.

Lucille
06-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I agree completely. But as we all know, "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Regardless, steroids screw with the mind and make people mean. Police officers are becoming very aggressive, and if they are doing Anabolic Steroids that's a real problem.

I agree - and it is also getting into the Army culture as well. Guys are trying to justify it with the need to carry more weight due to body armor and all of the gadgets now being fielded.

Really bad move - look at the photos of guys in Vietnam, Desert Storm, and today.

coastie
06-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Yep-I've been told by reputable sources that local law enforcement(all 7 of them in the Bay County area) heavily uses them, and I've verified that through personal encounters and admissions from several of said LE officers...you learn a lot when you're a part of the "team"(not anymore though).

Even in the military they're very rarely tested for, because only one place tests for them, the Olympics place in Los Angeles, and I hear the test is very expensive, so nobody bothers. I've known a roid - rager or two while in the military, and two of them were Reservists. Guess what their day jobs were?;)

tttppp
06-25-2012, 01:02 PM
NBA players are 100% on steroids.The fact that the Olympic basketball comity let the USA national team compete without a drug test because the USA government guarantees for them is a disgrace

I agree. All you have to do is compare the players from the early 90s to today. There is a huge size difference.

Zippyjuan
06-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Bear in mind that Ahnold is now 64 years old- not too bad for that age (25 years old in the other one as Conan the Barbarian). (also hs is flexed and posing in the pic on the left and relaxed in the on on the right).

Zippyjuan
06-25-2012, 01:06 PM
I agree. All you have to do is compare the players from the early 90s to today. There is a huge size difference.
I believe more use weight training as part of their fitness program for basketball. Guys like Kareem Abdul Jabar didn't worry about such things. Not saying they do not use supplements as well.

Alan Iverson's workout: http://magazine.stack.com/TheIssue/Article/4883/Allen_Iversons_InSeason_Lifting_Routine.aspx

GeorgiaAvenger
06-25-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm sure Arnold still has a great deal of muscle, but a lot of it is covered up by fat and (mostly) flabby skin.

That picture is from his movie years. He was big and toned, but no longer a big time bodybuilder.

Acting career:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JTNvVwDkB1M/Tbmy7wJWXVI/AAAAAAAAB7g/7_YTRzTs5YA/s1600/arnold-schwarzenegger-clone-movie.jpg

This is from when he was actually a bodybuilder.
http://www.vichywater.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/arnold-schwarzenegger-muscle-pose.jpg

tod evans
06-25-2012, 01:15 PM
If we have to have cops.....take their guns away and feed them ludes before work...

Southron
06-25-2012, 01:15 PM
It's stupid that possession is a felony.

BrooklynZoo
06-25-2012, 01:18 PM
These are silly arguments. Blaming steroids, which are merely synthetic versions of natural body hormones, is like blaming the pill for women being moody, since it is merely female steroids. Yes, having more testosterone (or similar hormone derivatives) will often increase aggression. Blaming the drug and not the person for his behavior is the same scapegoat used by addicts and drug enforcement agencies.

The fact is that major league baseball, a private entity, has a right to determine its own policies and if players do not want to comply they are free to pursue other options. Congress has no place in this and what's needed is better training and more legal accountability in law enforcement to rein in those who are out of control, because many of their problems have nothing to do with drugs and everything to do with personality. Do not validate the myth that chemicals that enhance one's muscle or physical abilities are somehow inherently evil.

Kluge
06-25-2012, 01:41 PM
These are silly arguments. Blaming steroids, which are merely synthetic versions of natural body hormones, is like blaming the pill for women being moody, since it is merely female steroids. Yes, having more testosterone (or similar hormone derivatives) will often increase aggression. Blaming the drug and not the person for his behavior is the same scapegoat used by addicts and drug enforcement agencies.

The fact is that major league baseball, a private entity, has a right to determine its own policies and if players do not want to comply they are free to pursue other options. Congress has no place in this and what's needed is better training and more legal accountability in law enforcement to rein in those who are out of control, because many of their problems have nothing to do with drugs and everything to do with personality. Do not validate the myth that chemicals that enhance one's muscle or physical abilities are somehow inherently evil.

Who's blaming steroids? It's the people who take them in excess or encourage their excess use that are to blame.

tttppp
06-25-2012, 03:49 PM
I believe more use weight training as part of their fitness program for basketball. Guys like Kareem Abdul Jabar didn't worry about such things. Not saying they do not use supplements as well.

Alan Iverson's workout: http://magazine.stack.com/TheIssue/Article/4883/Allen_Iversons_InSeason_Lifting_Routine.aspx

Players in all sports, bulked up starting in the late 90s when McGuire and Sosa had that big year. It has nothing to do with the focus on weight training. I've seen players before this on weight training, and they were only a fraction of the size as McGuire and Sosa, and were only a fraction of the size of all the other players who eventually went on steroids.

Zippyjuan
06-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Babe Ruth was a big man- and way before the steroids era. He hit more homers than anybody in more than 50 years. NBA- Wilt Chamberain was also muscular for a tall man. Neither used weight training. Imagine if they did.

tttppp
06-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Babe Ruth was a big man- and way before the steroids era. He hit more homers than anybody in more than 50 years. NBA- Wilt Chamberain was also muscular for a tall man. Neither used weight training. Imagine if they did.

He's before my time. My guess is he wouldn't look that big standing next to all the steroid freaks baseball used to have.

Zippyjuan
06-25-2012, 04:15 PM
The Babe is listed as 6'2'' and 215 lbs. http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Babe_Ruth

You are also right that they have gotten bigger. Average non-athletes have gotten bigger to. Besides training and diet that is also due to selection. Teams seek out players with certain physical charachteristics- and with a bigger population (now global) as well as growth in popularity for the sports, the pool of potential athletes to choose from is bigger. A guy like Spud Webb, who was a great player, would not even be signed today because he would be considered too short. And again, I am certainly not saying that supplements are not part of things either. Sammy Sosa put on massive size during his career. That much could not have happened naturally via training.

Rookie card:
http://www.sammysosa.info/images/sosa_donruss.jpg
http://www.sammysosa.info/cards/

Later on:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/assets_c/2009/06/sammy-sosa-uniform-thumb-200x243-9071.jpg
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/2009/06/sammy_sosas_sleeves_may_have_b.html

Trends in baseball: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2011/4/19/2114631/the-changing-size-of-mlb-players-1870-2010

donnay
06-27-2012, 08:44 AM

While I will certainly agree that Congress has no business in how major leagues baseball is operated. I will disagree with you, with regards to anabolic steroid (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-anabolic-steroids.htm)use by law enforcement. It's bad enough that some people who walk around with a gun and badge are on power trips, it is certainly another when they all look like Lou Ferrigno, the Incredible Hulk. Some reports I have seen, law enforcement do it to intimidate the people.

Anabolic steroids messes with a persons mind. It is a pharmaceutical synthetic that resembles naturally occurring hormones. You can do your own research, to find, that in more cases people taking anabolic steroids are much more aggressive and angry. The last thing we need coming out of law enforcement, is for them to wield power and think they are indestructible, and, of course, above the law.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is Roid Rage?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-roid-rage.htm

Roid rage is a term given to people who act in very aggressive or hostile manner after taking large doses, usually on a regular basis, of anabolic steroids, sometimes nicknamed as roids. In recent times, several prominent murders and brutal attacks have been linked to roid rage, which might suggest a person is less responsible for committing a crime. This is not always an adequate defense given that people who take anabolic steroids tend to do so willingly. Further, roid rage resulting in violent behavior may be a little more complex than it is generally portrayed in the media.

When people use anabolic steroids, a dangerous practice for many reasons, they are essentially placing extra levels of testosterone in their bodies. This hormone can at first have positive effects on the psyche, which later turn negative. Steroid users at first may equate steroid use with feeling well, unconquerable or very happy. Continued use of steroids may result in much greater mood and behavior change. People may become more aggressive, more hostile, or they may manifest symptoms of various forms of mental illness, like schizophrenia, mania, and deep depression. Anabolic steroid use is linked not only to roid rage and sudden mood changes, but also to a higher incidence of suicide than in the general populace.

There have been several clinical studies assessing roid rage, and it does turn out that people who are most likely to experience it are also most likely, prior to steroid use, to be extremely angry, hostile or violent. This suggests that roid rage may most occur in those who are already at risk for violent behavior. These studies further suggest that roid rage is not a suitable legal defense for committing violent acts, since the person who claims it as a defense may have already had tendencies toward violence. These tendencies or violent acts can further be a side effect of ending steroid use, since the mood elevation properties of steroids when suddenly cut off could result in acting in a violent manner. Long-term users of steroids should be carefully watched and helped medically to recover from what might be termed steroid addiction.

Despite clinical studies, any steroid user is risking the potentially dangerous effects of extreme behavior changes when taking steroids. Some people may be so vulnerable that behavior changes occur rapidly, causing the person to behave in a manner illegal or so disruptive that it can quickly ruin a life. What is clear is that anabolic steroid use is a dangerous practice with many potential long-term side effects that can be life changing. Like many other drugs, anabolic steroids are dangerous indeed, and the potential for roid rage adds the additional risk of a person hurting himself or others by extremely violent behavior while on steroids.

brandon
06-27-2012, 08:59 AM
There was just a shootout in my area between a roided up off duty cop and the rest of them. Went on for an entire day and they had to evacuate a huge area. This just happened like two weeks ago.

donnay
06-27-2012, 09:39 AM
There was just a shootout in my area between a roided up off duty cop and the rest of them. Went on for an entire day and they had to evacuate a huge area. This just happened like two weeks ago.

Yes I remember it:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?381014-Police-officer-in-shootout-with-other-police-officers.&highlight=Cop+standoff

Then we had this case just a couple of months ago.

Police Chief Michael Maloney killed days from retirement in New Hampshire drug bust
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57413455/police-chief-michael-maloney-killed-days-from-retirement-in-new-hampshire-drug-bust/