PDA

View Full Version : Planned Obsolesence

donnay
06-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Planned Obsolesence

To Last or Not to Last, That is the Question

By Eric Allen | 8 Jun 12 | Product Design, Kaufmann Mercantile

http://kaufmann-mercantile.com/planned-obsolesence/#more-9149

It begins with an announcement. One small crumb of information. And it sets the tech world atwitter (literally, Twitter). Speculation follows for months, and finally, one day, winding queues form outside all of Apple’s glass monoliths. Some new thing – a computer, tablet, mp3 player, a technological Swiss army knife – is released, and the crowd gets its fix.

Then, the previous version of whatever this new thing is, the version that garnered the same anticipation a year ago, the version that still works perfectly, looks just as modern, and was more than adequate before this new one, is thrown out by the most diehard consumers. And, in time, more follow suit. Yes, recycling programs exist, but that doesn’t change the fact that this thing is done away with. Apple seems to top itself year after year, rendering anything that came before it irrelevant – and that obsolescence was all carefully planned. But the consequences of this high-frequency mass consumption are wreaking havoc on the planet, personal ethics in general, and of course, your wallet.

A HISTORY OF PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE

The notion of producing disposable goods is an understandably novel idea, and began in the 1800s with detachable men’s shirt collars. Hannah Montague from Troy, New York, didn’t want to wash her husband Orlando’s shirts when when all she needed to wash was the collar. So she cut it off, cleaned it, and sewed it back on. A lightbulb lit in Orlando’s head, and soon, he opened a factory that made detachable collars, cuffs, and dickeys. By the late 1800s, business was booming.

Fast forward to 1924, when a group of seven light bulb manufacturers, including Philips and General Electric, came together to form the Phoebus cartel, meant to control pricing (by hiking it up), eliminate competition on an international scale, and manufacture bulbs that wouldn’t exceed a life expectancy of 1,000 hours. A company that did make a longer-lasting bulb would be subject to fines, meaning consumers weren’t going to find any more sustainable options while the cartel existed. (There were always, of course, candles.) The cartel and its agreement was supposed to last until 1955, but ended in 1939 at the beginning of World War II because, well, it was World War II.

Such shenanigans had received a name seven years prior, in 1932, when a New York real estate broker named Bernard London coined the term in a brochure entitled “Ending the Depression Through Planned Obsolescence.” His proposal was innocuous, benevolent even. London just wanted to create jobs. After all, if products have an expiration date, then at some point people will be hired to create more. Furthermore, jobs could be created to manage the destruction of the worn-out goods. Or, in London’s own words:

New products would constantly be pouring forth from the factories and marketplaces, to take the place of the obsolete, and the wheels of industry would be kept going and employment regularized and assured for the masses.

Fair enough. But in 1954, the idea was taken a step further by the industrial designer Brooks Stevens (you may know him as the man behind the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile). He defined planned obsolescence as “instilling in the buyer the desire to own something a little newer, a little better, a little sooner than is necessary.” And that’s exactly how it’s been played out since.

CULT FOLLOWING

In April 2010, Apple started selling the iPad. In March 2011, it launched the iPad 2. The new version was thinner, lighter, and faster. But in those eleven months between each release, was anyone really complaining that the first iPad was too clunky? Too slow? The idea of planned obsolescence, as Stevens defined it, was so successful that it trained a nation of consumers to favor desire over practicality. The attitude isn’t, “I need to buy a new one.” It’s, “I get to buy a new one.”

Maybe the term itself is due for an update. Is the first generation iPad really obsolete? Of course not. But then what was the point of releasing a new version less than a year later? The new one makes the old one look just a little sadder – precious, even, in its attempt to look equally as modern as the new one. Maybe it’s more about perceived obsolescence, especially when it comes to cosmetic updates.

Except, even changes to hardware that look purely cosmetic can be insidious. Apple’s iPhone 4, released in June 2010, came with different, more obscure screws than its predecessors. Why is this important? Because the corresponding screwdrivers are obscure too. Meaning Apple controls how and by whom the phones are opened. Now, this doesn’t really seem like a problem, except when the battery in your iPhone dies and it’s time for a replacement. You can’t take your phone to a licensed repair shop because they can’t open the phone (and they aren’t authorized by Apple to replace the battery anyway). So you can either have Apple replace the battery for a fee, except they’ll have to erase the memory on your phone thanks to their integrated battery, or you can just buy a new iPhone. Oh, and look, the new model just came out! And so it goes.

There is an argument that planned obsolescence is on the decline, because old hardware can support new software. For instance, this article was written on a five-year-old MacBook updated with OS X Leopard (I know, I know). And so some products can live on, just not forever (try installing Leopard on one of those candy-colored iMacs from the ’90s). But this argument doesn’t account for rapidly-updating tech support or the hardware updates necessary to run new software. And even if planned obsolescence is on the decline, would the lines of people outside of Apple stores let that happen?

ON DISPOSABILITY

Look at your computer. Consider the hardware. Does it look particularly disposable? Is it designed to have a short lifespan? It appears to be relatively hard wearing. And yet, we replace them frequently. According this infographic, on average, consumers get a new computer every two years. Maybe you keep yours a little longer, but still, every few years, you have to trade up. You feel compelled to. Computers, desktop or otherwise, which harness some of the most sophisticated technology, have become disposable items. How is that possible?

Statistics from the Environmental Protection Agency report that in 2009, America produced 2.37 million tons of electronic waste, and only 25 percent of that was recycled. That means most of it ended up in landfills, unleashing unspeakable toxins into the environment. (Not to mention the now-wasted rare earths ignominiously extracted to originally compose it.) This stuff isn’t just computers – it’s everything electronic that’s thrown away, which also shines a light on other culprits of planned obsolescence.

Printer ink cartridges are especially problematic. Some are designed to reject refills, meaning you have no choice but to buy a new one. And if only one of the levels in a tri-color cartridge is low, the leftover ink in the other two colors doesn’t stand a chance. The cartridges are also quite small, meaning it won’t be long before the ink runs out. And finally, new cartridges can cost nearly as much, or more than, their corresponding printer. All this translates into cold, hard cash for whatever company makes the cartridges, which is exactly why it’s able to give you a printer for free with your computer. But it also means trash, and lots of it. There are some great recycling programs for cartridges, but they don’t mean squat if people don’t use them.

There are too many other offenders to list here, but cars (with yearly remodels and discontinued parts), razors (most of them wholly disposable, instead of the lasts-forever straight razor of yesteryear), and clothes (not all of them end up a Goodwill) all bear the mark of an industry predicated on planned obsolescence. If it’s old, it’s out. Destined to be, well, obsolete. But the question remains: will our tolerance for such ever meet the same fate?

jkr
06-24-2012, 10:29 AM
hemp or rust, we can choose

donnay
06-24-2012, 10:37 AM
This will be next...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXzQD2SRESs

DGambler
06-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Do research on 3D printing, it will blow up supply chains, allow manufacturing at the point of sale and increase the lifespan of older products (e.g. Print my own screw driver to open that older iphone).

Some people will still fall prey to advertising, but I think once it becomes mainstream, a lot of people will change their habits.

liberdom
06-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Do research on 3D printing, it will blow up supply chains, allow manufacturing at the point of sale and increase the lifespan of older products (e.g. Print my own screw driver to open that older iphone).

Some people will still fall prey to advertising, but I think once it becomes mainstream, a lot of people will change their habits.

That's already challenging gun manufacturing control as we speak.

silverhandorder
06-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Planned obsolescence is a myth.

Besides some small parts where the industry is government protected planned obsolescence is exactly what I want for my products. Why would I want a computer that works at 50% of current capacity? Why would I want to overpay for a computer so that it would last me 4 years instead of 2? The reason these things are sold cheap and break easily is because that is what many people want. I want new tech when it comes out. I don't want new tech once every 10 years.

tod evans
06-24-2012, 12:39 PM
There's lots of stuff besides tech goodies that are manufactured to meet a price point.

Lots of the younger generations haven't had opportunity to use quality made and maintained older "stuff"...

Homes/autos/tools/farm implements....the list is long and varied.

liberdom
06-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Planned obsolescence is a myth.

Besides some small parts where the industry is government protected planned obsolescence is exactly what I want for my products. Why would I want a computer that works at 50% of current capacity? Why would I want to overpay for a computer so that it would last me 4 years instead of 2? The reason these things are sold cheap and break easily is because that is what many people want. I want new tech when it comes out. I don't want new tech once every 10 years.

Planned obsolesence can only last or sustain if there are intellectual property barriers to prevent competition, or, if there's industry cartels colluding, otherwise competitors can always step up to replace the obsolete product. When we say planned obsolescence, we are talking about one company planning to make their own product replaced, which is stupid most of the time. There are much worse alternatives to that.

Kotin
06-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Hempcrete and hemp-related building materials FTW

liberdom
06-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Hempcrete and hemp-related building materials FTW

hempcrete, an alternative to concrete?

Is it cheaper or stronger?

Kotin
06-24-2012, 01:46 PM
hempcrete, an alternative to concrete?

Is it cheaper or stronger?

indeed.. and it actually gets harder and stronger as it ages.. its amazing.

liberdom
06-24-2012, 01:50 PM
indeed.. and it actually gets harder and stronger as it ages.. its amazing.

are there examples of houses or big buildings that are build with it?

Also, by "stronger", do you mean harder, firmer, and less earthquake resistant?

LibertyRevolution
06-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Planned obsolesence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bxzU1HFC7Q&feature=player_embedded

heavenlyboy34
06-24-2012, 02:46 PM
P.O. is neither myth nor conspiracy theory.
http://www.economist.com/node/13354332
Planned obsolescence is a business strategy in which the obsolescence (the process of becoming obsolete—that is, unfashionable or no longer usable) of a product is planned and built into it from its conception. This is done so that in future the consumer feels a need to purchase new products and services that the manufacturer brings out as replacements for the old ones.
Consumers sometimes see planned obsolescence as a sinister plot by manufacturers to fleece them. But Philip Kotler, a marketing guru (see article (http://www.economist.com/node/12210481)), says: “Much so-called planned obsolescence is the working of the competitive and technological forces in a free society—forces that lead to ever-improving goods and services.”
A classic case of planned obsolescence was the nylon stocking. The inevitable “laddering” of stockings made consumers buy new ones and for years discouraged manufacturers from looking for a fibre that did not ladder. The garment industry in any case is not inclined to such innovation. Fashion of any sort is, by definition, deeply committed to built-in obsolescence. Last year’s skirts, for example, are designed to be replaced by this year’s new models.

The strategy of planned obsolescence is common in the computer industry too. New software is often carefully calculated to reduce the value to consumers of the previous version. This is achieved by making programs upwardly compatible only; in other words, the new versions can read all the files of the old versions, but not the other way round. Someone holding the old version can communicate only with others using the old version. It is as if every generation of children came into the world speaking a completely different language from their parents. While they could understand their parents’ language, their parents could not understand theirs.
The production processes required for such a strategy are illustrated by Intel. This American semiconductor firm is working on the production of the next generation of PC chips before it has begun to market the last one.
A strategy of planned obsolescence can backfire. If a manufacturer produces new products to replace old ones too often, consumer resistance may set in. This has occurred at times in the computer industry when consumers have been unconvinced that a new wave of replacement products is giving sufficient extra value for switching to be worth their while.
As the life cycle of products has increased—largely because of their greater technical excellence—firms have found that they need to plan for those products’ obsolescence more carefully. Take, for instance, the example of the automobile. Its greater durability has made consumers reluctant to change their models as frequently as they used to. As the useful life of the car has been extended, manufacturers have focused on shortening its fashionable life. By adding styling and cosmetic changes to their vehicles, they have subtly attempted to make their older models look outdated, thus persuading consumers to trade them in for new ones.
Planned obsolescence is obviously not a strategy for the luxury car market. Marques such as Rolls-Royce rely on propagating the idea that they may (like antiques) one day be worth more than the price that was first paid for them; Patek Philippe advertises its watches as being something that the owner merely conserves for the next generation. At the same time as the useful life of consumer goods becomes shorter, consumers hanker after goods that endure.
Further reading
Slade, G., “Made to Break: Technology and Obsolescence in America”, Harvard University Press, 2006

Elwar
06-24-2012, 03:16 PM
razor blades...

heavenlyboy34
06-24-2012, 03:29 PM
razor blades...
More of a modern convenience than d.o. An old-fashioned straight edge razor does last a long time, but it also has to be kept honed and rust free. Modern razor blades are still better than electric shavers, in my experience FWIW.

donnay
07-17-2017, 10:53 PM
116-Year-Old Light Bulb Dangles From Firehouse Ceiling, But Chief Reveals It Has Never Burnt Out

by JESS BUTLER Published Jul 17, 2017

When ordinary objects surpass our expectations, we tend to make a big deal about it. That is precisely the reason why one particular piece of fire station property is getting so much attention.

In 1901, a regular light bulb was installed in a firehouse in California. Nobody ever expected its lifespan to grow this long!

In the video below, posted on July 13, 2017, retired deputy fire chief Tom Bramell explains, “It’s been burning continuously since 1901.”

When you compare this old light bulb to modern fluorescent bulbs, you’ll realize just how amazing this feat is. Today’s standard fluorescent bulb lasts about 20,000 hours. However, this 116-year-old firehouse bulb has endured over 1,000,000 hours. That’s exactly why the Livermore Fire Department near San Jose, California is treating the old light bulb like a treasure.

“You’re not allowed to touch it by the way. We don’t even dust it off,” Tom says as he stands on a tall ladder below the light bulb.

Perhaps the older materials have allowed the light bulb to stay glowing for all these years, or maybe this one is just extra special. Either way, it’s pretty incredible, don’t you think?

Check out this unbelievable 116-year-old light bulb in the video below, and please SHARE if you think it will continue to burn for many more years to come!
https://www.littlethings.com/116-year-old-light-bulb/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fzen.yandex.com